rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Driving from San Francisco to San Diego

So I've got an upcoming trip to San Francisco. I'll be there 1-3 days for work. I'm planning on taking the remainder of the week off and taking a scenic drive down the Pacific Coast Highway. I have some old friends in LA so I may stop for 1 night and get some dinner and drinks if I can. I also have an old female friend/fling that I've reached out to that lives just north of San Diego. I'll be staying with her for a few days then flying home out of San Diego airport back to NYC.

Has anyone done this drive? Is it worth the effort? How's the traffic?

I'm open to meeting up with some forum members who may live along the path. Hell if you want to hop in and take the drive with me you can.

My travel dates aren't set yet. But it will probably be in the next 2-3 weeks.

Team Nachos

You can't do the entire drive from LA to SD on pacific coast highway, because several sections are closed off since there are military bases there. It would also take twice as long. From SF to LA you should be fine though. Monterey, Santa Cruz, and Santa Barbara are worth stopping by.

I did the drive from SF to LA last year on PCH, Trip of a lifetime.

Make sure you give yourself 2-3 days to travel though. I would recommend staying a night in Santa Cruz and Monterey.

Carmel was highlight of the trip for me. Sunset at water close to downtown carmel was breathtaking. 17 Mile drive close to carmel was another gem.

Here is the link to my thread, It was a family trip with a different perspective but RVF brothers have left some useful info that you can use.

"You can not fake good kids" - Mike Pence

http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-8921-p...#pid131338

Here ya go

I have done it a few times, by motorcycle and car. The bike is by far the best way to go, but it sounds like you are locked into a car. No big deal, its still a good trip.

The traffic is brutal, but keep in mind I am from Canada so its all relative. It lightens up the further from SF, but in and around the city I would suggest moving against the flow (for example leave SF on Sunday morning).

I liked Big Sur area, it has an interesting vibe and I heard some weird stories from locals when I was there. When I was on my motorcycle I bush camped by San Simeon right by the Hearst Castle which was an awesome spot to wake up in the morning. I was the first person there and had the place to myself.

Only thing that may suck at this time of year is heavy fog along the central coast, what's called May Grey/June Gloom. If it's really thick you may not be able to see much of anything and it'll be chilly too. I've gone up and down the coast many times and really it's only a trip I'd want to do if it's bright and sunny. I'd check the weather report before heading down. If the whole coast is socked in, it's not worth it, just take I-5 or 101 down south instead. Or an alternative scenic route if you have more time is down the backside of the Sierras. Cross the Tioga Pass near Yosemite then head south on highway 395. Stunning views and very underrated compared to the better known PCH1 and guaranteed no fog soup.

I've always wanted to drive the PCH. Driving it on a motorcycle sounds amazing. I would totally do it but I don't have a motorcycle license. I always wanted a bike.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Team Nachos

I've only done I5 both to SF and to SD. The PCH is a dream to cruise down. You'll have fun!

I've done it from Monterey area to Orange County many many times. The 101 going through San Luis Obispo and Ventura counties is the best part. It's beautiful. Traffic is usually pretty light...until you hit LA. Bring some good tunes, and enjoy the ride. Keep an eye out for a restaurant in Buellton called Pea Soup Andersens. I used to stop in there every time for lunch I made that drive, the place is good.

Watch out for CHP.

Dreams are like horses; they run wild on the earth. Catch one and ride it. Throw a leg over and ride it for all its worth.
Psalm 25:7
https://youtu.be/vHVoMCH10Wk

Quote:Quote:

Watch out for CHP.

[Image: attachment.jpg26802]   

Sorry.

If you want to take some time off the beaten path and drive on some sick ass roads visit this little shithole. I used to stop there on my dirtbike all the time to get supplies .

[Image: attachment.jpg26803]   

Parlay check this out..
https://pismoatvrentals.com/

Take a week or so and go at your own pace. There are some great cities to spend a night in (Santa Barbara, SLO, Santa Cruz, etc) and its fun to get out at some of the scenic points and hike down as far as you can go. I made the trip once and only gave myself a couple of days - plan on doing it again and taking a few more days.