rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Hair loss question

Hair loss question

I'm not sure where else to put this, so I'll try posting it here. I'm 36 years old and have some frontal hair loss - I'm what the dermatologist calls a "diffuse Norwood A variant" where I don't have a receding hairline but just generalized thinning in the front. My hair basically looks a bit like this picture except my thinning doesn't extend nearly as far back as this guy:

http://i.imgur.com/Mn8M7.jpg

I'm currently treating it with Nizoral shampoo and Rogaine to stabilize the loss and hopefully regrow some - I'm not sure at all that I want to use pills. Getting the money for a HT wouldn't be a huge problem but would require careful consideration and a lot of research.

I currently rock a #2 guard buzzcut with a beard and it looks OK. The question is - there's this concealer product I tried called Dermmatch which seems to work really well with my type of diffuse loss - it takes a few minutes to apply in the morning, makes it look like I have very little loss at all, and seems like it would be very hard to detect. It also seems to stay put pretty well even when it gets somewhat wet.

In my position, would you use this product sparingly in profile pics on social/dating sites or whatever to make the loss a little less obvious, until hopefully the meds work more or I go the HT route, or is that a bad idea? Women use metric tons of makeup to cover their bad skin, and extensions and perfect lighting and angles and digital image filters to make themselves look good in photos - it seems a shame that we can't work the same game a bit.

Hair loss question

Shave your head. Chicks dig bold bald men

also check your testosterone ratios. Find a relevant thread on the forum

Hair loss question

Quote: (05-25-2015 10:11 AM)Virtus Wrote:  

Shave your head. Chicks dig bold bald men

also check your testosterone ratios. Find a relevant thread on the forum

Thanks for the heads up on the T - I have a physical coming up soon.

Unfortunately the shaved head look doesn't look as great with diffuse thinners as it does with guys who just have recession, and the hair I do have grows quickly so it's a pain in the ass to maintain.

Hair loss question

Propecia works to some degree, but has massive side-effects.

Some supplements help with keeping your hair - also changing your diet:

Quote:Quote:

ALOPECIA: Genetic factors aside, zinc deficiency is known to cause alopecia (hair loss) in animals. I think vitamin E and the essential fatty acids linoleic and linolenic acid are also important. I stopped my own hair from thinning by taking lecithin, high doses of the B-complex, and zinc. It has been 12 years now, and I have not lost any more. Will nutrition regrow hair? I doubt it, but it cannot hurt to give it a whirl.

http://www.doctoryourself.com/news/v2n21.html

Other than shaving your head and going with it there is only the possibility of doing a hair transplant from the side and back of your hair. Those hairs have the same genetic makeup that women's hair have.

Hair loss question

Try these threads
http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-44211.html
http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-34511.html
http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-2541.html

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

Hair loss question

Get on Finasteride if you want to keep your hair and even grow some back. It is the most effective thing there is. Rogaine and Ketoconazole are secondary. Try it out and see if you can handle it without the side effects.

Women DO NOT like the shaved head look. Enough with this coping. Women like a healthy full head of hair. However, not everyone can have that. Instead, the shaved head look is simply better than an unhealthy thinning head of hair. It's just a way to deal.

For your photos, definitely grow your hair out and use topical concealers to create the illusion of a full hear of hair. You mentioned DermMatch, but there's another out there: Toppik. Look it up and try it.

Include one shaved head photo in the mix so she at least knows, or should know, that that's one of your looks. Then show up on your dates with your shaved head. Act like it doesn't matter and proceed as normal.

Remember, love is a battlefield. You don't OWE these random hos the truth. When dealing with strangers, virtue is a cockblock.

Hair loss question

Quote: (05-25-2015 10:18 AM)XPQ21 Wrote:  

Unfortunately the shaved head look doesn't look as great with diffuse thinners as it does with guys who just have recession, and the hair I do have grows quickly so it's a pain in the ass to maintain.

Actually the shaved head option works best for diffuse thinners, because you at least do have hair on top. At a VERY short, buzzed length the reduced top-to-side contrast gives the illusion of normal hair that's merely cut by choice. Source: me.

Hair loss question

Quote: (05-25-2015 09:58 AM)XPQ21 Wrote:  

I'm not sure where else to put this, so I'll try posting it here. I'm 36 years old and have some frontal hair loss - I'm what the dermatologist calls a "diffuse Norwood A variant" where I don't have a receding hairline but just generalized thinning in the front. My hair basically looks a bit like this picture except my thinning doesn't extend nearly as far back as this guy:

I'm currently treating it with Nizoral shampoo and Rogaine to stabilize the loss and hopefully regrow some - I'm not sure at all that I want to use pills. Getting the money for a HT wouldn't be a huge problem but would require careful consideration and a lot of research.

I currently rock a #2 guard buzzcut with a beard and it looks OK. The question is - there's this concealer product I tried called Dermmatch which seems to work really well with my type of diffuse loss - it takes a few minutes to apply in the morning, makes it look like I have very little loss at all, and seems like it would be very hard to detect. It also seems to stay put pretty well even when it gets somewhat wet.

In my position, would you use this product sparingly in profile pics on social/dating sites or whatever to make the loss a little less obvious, until hopefully the meds work more or I go the HT route, or is that a bad idea? Women use metric tons of makeup to cover their bad skin, and extensions and perfect lighting and angles and digital image filters to make themselves look good in photos - it seems a shame that we can't work the same game a bit.

Hey,

Your hairloss is pretty advanced and shows thinning across the entire scalp.

As someone said below, go on Topix right away and show your dating pics with Topix. No girl will be able to tell while on a date. Good Looking Loser has a lot of info on Topix (he has similar hair loss to yours). I'd check out his website.

While Topix will help, it's a quick fix and meant as a crutch. Thus, I recommend you start tackling your hairloss before Topix can't help you anymore. The only three products that will treat your type of hairloss in descending order of efficacy are:

1) Propecia - I recommend you go to your dermatologist and get on it now.
2) LLLT (low-laser-light therapy) - Since your scalp is thinning everywhere and not just on the vertex, the laser therapy would likely be better than Rogaine. Refer to the links in this post for info about LLLT, otherwise I can fill you in some more.
3) Ketoconazole shampoo 2% - This is prescription only. You should only use it twice a week otherwise your hair will be completely dried out. You have to let it sit in your hair for five minutes while in the shower. Your dermatologist can prescribe this as well.

1% of Propecia users suffer from sexual side effects. Based on pressure for years the FDA has decided to put a warning label on the prescription box indicating that a small amount of users suffers side effects.

While I feel for the men for whom the drug does not work, the vast majority of men derive extreme benefit from taking Propecia, namely they get back most of their hair.

In order to save the hair follicles you have left, I would get on Propecia as quickly as possible. If you suffer sexual side effects, you can discontinue, which will make them go away immediately (only a small fraction of the men who discontinued Propecia because of sides had prolonged sexual issues, we're talking 1% of 1%).

I have heard anecdotally that men who are thinning but have plenty of body hair don't suffer nearly the sides from Propecia that men with little body hair do.

I also think that if you suffer from sexual sides, that your total and/or free testosterone is probably low to begin with. This can be rectified by taking exogenous T; you'll find plenty of posts on this subject in the forum (MikeCF talks about it a bit).

I'd be curious if other users of both test and Propecia would chime in with their experiences. I'm fairly certain that they're all very positive.

Full disclosure: I use at this time ketoconazole 2% and LLLT. My hairloss is not significant yet to warrant Propecia, although I'm seriously considering it. I probably wouldn't go on it, however, until I go on HRT.

Hair loss question

Quote:Quote:

[quote] (05-26-2015 02:12 PM)PUA_Rachacha Wrote:  

(05-25-2015, 02:58 PM)XPQ21 Wrote:  I'm not sure where else to put this, so I'll try posting it here. I'm 36 years old and have some frontal hair loss - I'm what the dermatologist calls a "diffuse Norwood A variant" where I don't have a receding hairline but just generalized thinning in the front. My hair basically looks a bit like this picture except my thinning doesn't extend nearly as far back as this guy:

Hey,

Your hairloss is pretty advanced and shows thinning across the entire scalp.

Just to be clear, the picture isn't me. My loss is not as advanced as his (thinning only extends about half as far back), it's just an example of the type of thinning. Thanks for the advice, in any case. I'm still considering Propecia - my situation is more complicated as I recently recovered from a serious illness (which may have accelerated the loss) and I don't want to take any medication that may have a chance of compromising my recovery.

I also suffered from problem skin when I was younger (lucky me) and while it's pretty much perfect now it requires maintenance, and I think I would need to use extreme caution in using medications that affect hormones in any way. I know some have actually reported improvement in their skin situation while on Propecia, but the fact is that any drug can do just about anything and one doesn't know until one tries it.

Hair loss question

Quote: (05-25-2015 02:56 PM)civpro Wrote:  

Get on Finasteride if you want to keep your hair and even grow some back. It is the most effective thing there is. Rogaine and Ketoconazole are secondary. Try it out and see if you can handle it without the side effects.

Women DO NOT like the shaved head look. Enough with this coping. Women like a healthy full head of hair. However, not everyone can have that. Instead, the shaved head look is simply better than an unhealthy thinning head of hair. It's just a way to deal.

Highly debatable. IMO women are about the total package... masculinity and confidence. A full head of hair by itself doesn't not make the panties tingle IMO. Do you think someone who looks like the ROCK is a turnoff to woman because his head is shaved?

Hair loss question

Quote: (05-26-2015 09:38 PM)rhodey Wrote:  

Highly debatable. IMO women are about the total package... masculinity and confidence. A full head of hair by itself doesn't not make the panties tingle IMO. Do you think someone who looks like the ROCK is a turnoff to woman because his head is shaved?

You're picking an internationally famous professional actor, with a better body than 99.99% of the population as your illustrative point?

Some men can pull off the shaved head, yes. The same way some men can pull off being 20lbs overweight. Or being 5ft 6. This is in large part down to other factors - being rich, famous, professional athletes etc. However in the VAST majority of cases women will prefer a full head of hair. All things being equal, nearly all men would look better with a full head of hair than a receding hairline / shaved head.

Hair loss question

How long have you been using Rogaine? It usually takes a few months to get the full benefit, but it's the only reason I have any hair left.

Given the type of thinning you have going on it should work pretty well.

I put it on once a day before bed.

"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar, De Bello Gallico, Book III, Ch. 18

Hair loss question

Quote: (05-28-2015 09:26 AM)TheWastelander Wrote:  

How long have you been using Rogaine? It usually takes a few months to get the full benefit, but it's the only reason I have any hair left.

Given the type of thinning you have going on it should work pretty well.

I put it on once a day before bed.

About a month; obviously I'm not expecting any results just yet and I don't expect miracles in general. I'm using the foam twice a day right now but may switch to the liquid at some point.

Hair loss question

Quote: (05-27-2015 05:59 AM)zatara Wrote:  

You're picking an internationally famous professional actor, with a better body than 99.99% of the population as your illustrative point?

Some men can pull off the shaved head, yes. The same way some men can pull off being 20lbs overweight. Or being 5ft 6. This is in large part down to other factors - being rich, famous, professional athletes etc. However in the VAST majority of cases women will prefer a full head of hair. All things being equal, nearly all men would look better with a full head of hair than a receding hairline / shaved head.

Probably true. Then again, I know two buddies of mine who have more hair loss than I do in their 30s and are in LTRs with solid "8"s that are in their 20s and have other women trying to hit them up constantly - and they're not famous, they just dress well and are funny, in shape, and probably have good game.

One of them started losing his hair much earlier than I did, in his late teens or early 20s. Some girls we knew back then would aways give him shit about it - now he dates a 28 year old who could be a model while many of those same bitches, who are now also in their 30s, are rapidly deteriorating into jaded overweight alcoholic "where have all the good men gone" crazy cat ladies.

Im thankful that even though I have a genetic predisposition to hair loss, my family seems to have otherwise decent genetics. I see dudes in their 30s and 40s with ugly mugs and full heads of hair with hot women. I don't really envy them.

Hair loss question

One of the guys I know has said his success rate with women went up when he just decided to fully shave his head.

He is however in good shape.

Relevant: http://www.dangerandplay.com/2012/09/30/...-the-game/

Hair loss question

I have a full head of hair, and I would argue that I look better with a shaved head than with it grown out. I normally keep it at a #3 #4 or #5 on top and a #1.5 on the sides, which is how I look my best. Some times as long as a #6, but if I had to choose between growing it all the way out and clipper down to a #1, I would do the #1 every time. Because it looks way younger.

EDIT: I also have friends with massively receding hairlines who can clobber me in field with women. Charisma > hair

Hair loss question

I dont agree here especially when it comes to darker skinned dudes.

Hair loss question

Quote: (05-28-2015 06:24 PM)Nascimento Wrote:  

One of the guys I know has said his success rate with women went up when he just decided to fully shave his head.

He is however in good shape.

Relevant: http://www.dangerandplay.com/2012/09/30/...-the-game/

The danger and play guy makes a good point with the final paragraph.

"Take care of your skin, too. If you have less hair on your forehead, you’ll call more attention to the fine lines and wrinkles on your face."

This is very true. Your whole face opens up when you clipper, and you will want to be taking good care of your skin and finding some healthy way to keep your color

Hair loss question

Yeah. The takeaway there is definitely the following:

Young and in shape with hair: did well.
Young and in shape with less hair: did well.
Older and in shape with missing hair: did well.
Older and slightly out of shape with no hair: did badly.
Older and out of shape with no hair: fucking awful.
Older and in shape with no hair: doing well.

Hair loss question

Well, you want to maximize your appearance as best as you can and any little reasonable edge or advantage helps. There is a point of no return when it comes to hair loss where you would be better shaving it all off, but I don't think XPQ has reached that point yet. Nor have I.

I'm using Rogaine as a stopgap until hair restoration technology advances. I'm particularly interested in hair cloning, which offers the possibility of replacing all the DHT-sensitive hairs on your head with ones that aren't. Currently this is impossible because the donor area just isn't big enough.

My main issue with hair transplants is that they leave a donor scar and the hair behind the transplant can go without proper maintenance. So if you get one and you later decide to shave your head you'll likely have a nasty scar on the back of your noggin.

Just using Rogaine alone offers you more options. I can't recommend Propecia since I was one of the unlucky few that experienced sides. My doctor said that this was to be expected since blocking all DHT is not normal and a certain amount of DHT is required for sexual health.

"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar, De Bello Gallico, Book III, Ch. 18

Hair loss question

If you use shampoo everyday, stop.

Beating up your hair with chemicals daily is only going to accelerate the hair loss process.

Hair loss question

Quote: (05-30-2015 01:35 PM)TheWastelander Wrote:  

Well, you want to maximize your appearance as best as you can and any little reasonable edge or advantage helps. There is a point of no return when it comes to hair loss where you would be better shaving it all off, but I don't think XPQ has reached that point yet. Nor have I.

I'm using Rogaine as a stopgap until hair restoration technology advances. I'm particularly interested in hair cloning, which offers the possibility of replacing all the DHT-sensitive hairs on your head with ones that aren't. Currently this is impossible because the donor area just isn't big enough.

My main issue with hair transplants is that they leave a donor scar and the hair behind the transplant can go without proper maintenance. So if you get one and you later decide to shave your head you'll likely have a nasty scar on the back of your noggin.

Just using Rogaine alone offers you more options. I can't recommend Propecia since I was one of the unlucky few that experienced sides. My doctor said that this was to be expected since blocking all DHT is not normal and a certain amount of DHT is required for sexual health.

FUE does not leave a donor scar. If the doctor uses an extraction needle smaller than 1mm (.9mm, .8mm) you can shave your head as short as a #1 clip (1 weeks growth) or even #.5 clip (4 days growth) without visible scars. There are photo examples online. The downside is FUE is 2x as expensive.

Hair loss question

Quote: (05-29-2015 02:45 PM)Nascimento Wrote:  

Yeah. The takeaway there is definitely the following:

Young and in shape with hair: did well.
Young and in shape with less hair: did well.
Older and in shape with missing hair: did well.
Older and slightly out of shape with no hair: did badly.
Older and out of shape with no hair: fucking awful.
Older and in shape with no hair: doing well.

You also have to be tan with a shaved head. I have noticed I can get away with being really pale with it grown out, but clipper shorter than #3, and you start to look really ashen.

Hair loss question

Stop using chemical based shampoos and conditioner and use natural and herbal treatments for your hair. I found coconut oil massage very effective in reducing hair fall and making hair thick, strong and beautiful. Regular use of coconut oil give hair a beautiful natural shine and makes them grow fast. Aloe Vera is another amazing herb you can use to stop hair fall and make your hair strong. Honey, Olive oil, Amla(Indian gooseberry), Sikakai are also very effective for hair hair fall and growing hair back. Massaging water of onion on bald area regularly helps in growing your hair back. So if you're looking for some hair growth tips, just avoid chemical based based products and use natural ones. Eating healthy and balanced diet and avoiding junk and processed foods is also very helpful in this.

Hair loss question

Quote: (06-13-2015 12:31 AM)Elizabeth1 Wrote:  

Stop using chemical based shampoos and conditioner and use natural and herbal treatments for your hair. I found coconut oil massage very effective in reducing hair fall and making hair thick, strong and beautiful. Regular use of coconut oil give hair a beautiful natural shine and makes them grow fast. Aloe Vera is another amazing herb you can use to stop hair fall and make your hair strong. Honey, Olive oil, Amla(Indian gooseberry), Sikakai are also very effective for hair hair fall and growing hair back. Massaging water of onion on bald area regularly helps in growing your hair back. So if you're looking for some hair growth tips, just avoid chemical based based products and use natural ones. Eating healthy and balanced diet and avoiding junk and processed foods is also very helpful in this.

Yeah, I hate using shampoos that contain chemicals. I try to shampoo with pure energy whenever possible.