rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Woman critiques rape culture

A thoughtful critique of the rape culture by a woman complete with her own experiences:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/posteveryt...-let-them/

This popped up on my feed this morning. This us the shit we've been preaching for years but I suspect it was published to counter the article from a few days before about why men are a superfluous gender. I can't find the link but ut was titled something like "why do men exist?"

Per Ardua Ad Astra | "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum"

Cobra and I did some awesome podcasts with awesome fellow members.

Quote: (05-21-2015 09:38 AM)Tyroc7 Wrote:  

A thoughtful critique of the rape culture by a woman complete with her own experiences:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/posteveryt...-let-them/

Interesting article. A woman advocates that other women take on more personal responsibility and stop trying to engage in revisionist history about sexual encounters they actually subjectively consented to, irrespective of how they come to feel about it afterward. Good for her personally, but it will never catch on with the entitled all-females-are-victims industry.

What disturbs me more is one of the articles she links to in making her argument: http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/d...cated.html

The world of the male university student in North America is becoming increasingly dystopian. How did this poor schmuck do anything wrong other than engage in sex with a willing girl?

Quote:Quote:

Jane and John met in their first week as undergrads at Occidental College. They enrolled in the same freshman seminar, chatted on a field trip, pregamed for a school dance together, and then—on a night when they both claim they were more intoxicated than they had ever been before—they had sex.

... on Sept. 7, 2013, Jane was downing vodka and orange juice while playing drinking games in a friend’s dorm room. John was goaded into chugging booze straight from the bottle in a ritualistic hazing by his new water polo team. “I’m wasted … the worlds moving,” Jane would text her friends that night. “So drunk. Jesus fucking Christ … about to blak out,” John would text his. When John made it back to his dorm, he launched a dance party in his room, and Jane stumbled in.

According to witnesses, who would be asked to recount the night’s events after Jane filed a sexual misconduct claim against John with the school, Jane “was grabbing John and trying to kiss him”; John was “somewhat responsive” but “seemed pretty indifferent.” But he was also “loud, obnoxious, kind of pushing everyone, going nuts a bit,” slurring his words, and at one point, attempted to move everyone but Jane out of the room. Eventually, both Jane and John removed their own shirts while dancing. When Jane ended up lying on top of John on his bed and grinding her hips on him, a couple of her friends pulled her away and tried to lead her back to her own bed. She was “a little upset and indignant,” one of them reported, but agreed to return to her room.

She wouldn’t stay there. “The second that you’re away from them, come back,” John texted Jane. “Okay,” she replied. “Do you have a condom?” she texted. “Yes,” he said. Jane eventually snuck out of her room, past her friends and her resident adviser, and made her way to John’s room, where she performed oral sex on him (which Jane says she remembers doing, but John says he can’t recall) and they began having sex (which both later said they didn’t remember). When another student knocked on the door to ask if Jane was OK, she responded affirmatively three times. Later, another student opened the door and saw them having sex. According to investigators, this witness “had attended sexual assault prevention training during orientation, and had been told what to do if he witnessed a sexual assault.” So he closed the door and let John and Jane continue, because, he told investigators, “This didn’t look like one to me.”

Occidental College disagreed. The morning after the incident, both Jane and John said they didn’t remember what happened the night before and set about recreating the evening’s events by speaking with friends who witnessed them having sex, reviewing text messages they had sent to each other, and piecing together the physical clues. John awoke to find a used condom and Jane’s earrings in his room; Jane learned that after having sex with John, she had ventured out again to find another man to cuddle with. The facts of what happened that evening are not in dispute. But, a week after the incident, Jane filed a complaint against John with the school. John was ultimately found in violation of Occidental’s sexual misconduct policy, which forbids students from having sexual contact with anyone who is “incapacitated” by drugs or alcohol. John was expelled, the harshest possible punishment for students found responsible for sexual assault on campus. Then, he filed suit against Occidental, alleging that the school unfairly applied its sexual misconduct policy based on gender. (The suit refers to the students as just John Doe and Jane Doe, to preserve their anonymity.) As the lawsuit puts it: “John is being expelled because he is male; Jane Doe is not because she is female.”

Any manospherians who are a father to a young man headed to university or already there, you have to warn them about this outright witch-hunt mentality. They can be targeted, disciplined and even expelled for having consensual sex with a drunk girl, just because the "victim" was drunk and a girl.

Women who have the mentality of personal responsibility like the article in the OP's post are just too few and far between. And in any event, they are totally irrelevant to a university administration system that is seemingly set up to punish men for having demonstrably consensual sex with women.

Were I not long past my post-secondary days, things like this would actually possibly dissuade me from even attending.

The author is Cathy Young.

She's well known here and as a critic of feminist ideology.