rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

I might just buy a plane ticket to Japan and see what happens

Naive or potential amazing experience?

I had the realization yesterday that I could buy a plane ticket and just go... it was a profound thought. I don't know how many of you can relate to that, but it was a moment of mental freedom for me.

I will have little cash back-up (in US Dollars) but I am completely fine with sleeping next to a tree.

Do people still help the wandering traveler?

I think...since I wouldn't be able to just do this soon that I would save up enough money to feed myself for a long time as well has have enough money backed up to buy a plane ticket back.

This is sort of a romantic idea of mine -- to travel the lands of japan with a backpack and nothing more.

At 19, is this a ridiculous thought? I feel this might be a good forum to ask.

For anyone with experience in Japan, I would love to hear tips, thoughts, opinions, anything. I am highly fascinated with their culture (and I am in the middle of learning the language).

---
I figure some people might inquire about my education in relation to this situation, so here it is:

I am receiving my AA from a bullshit university. I intend to discontinue my college education and my parents are aware of this.

Japan is sick, an extremely cool place with tons sights and sounds.

Japanese girls on the other hand.... not so much!

Used that same money and go to KL or BKK (former being my Asian fave).

I would like to note that girls are not my foremost priority. The Japanese culture and landscape interest me far more.

It will be the best decision you'll make as a teen. Although I'm much older than you, I did the same thing in March. I WISH I WOULD HAVE TRAVELED TO ASIA AT 19! Do it.

Search past threads for 'Tokyo adventure'. PM me if you have any other questions.

Japan is an awesome country! I lived there for four years and hated to return to the states.

Japan is not a country you want to be in without some cash. They do no tolerate people "bumming" in their public places. It's strange how they will tolerate a drunk fool passed out on the street but not a traveling bum sleeping in their parks. That's just the way it is there. I've seen hot Japanese women puking in the street from drinking too much and a passed out salaryman lying next to the dump he took. But the drunkenness usually occurs in known bar/nightlife areas.

It is amazing how the traditional exists side by side with the modern. As for the women, they are very pretty and know what they want and are not shy about getting it. With that being said, they are very coy and low-key in their approach. You have to see it and experience it.

Since you are on a budget, like another poster said. You'd be better off in SE Asia. Thailand has an incredible culture and sights as well and Malaysia is good as well.

Good Luck!!

this might be better filed away as a great idea rather than a great plan, but if you are really set on travelling around japan w/out any money or livelihood my one suggestion would be to look up an organization called 'wwof' (willing workers on organic farmers). you could trade sweat equity for room and board and try to hitch hike (generally not recommended but it can be done) or cycle from farm to farm.

japan is safe so give it a go but have you ever done anything like this before? the other side of hte world might be a tough place to start, no?

You will burn through cash insanely fast if you get a one way trip to Japan, unless you live with a host family or something - which is certainly something you can consider.

I would do China or SE Asia before I do Japan though. Then again, I'm strongly biased against taking trips to highly developed coutnries in the first place.

traveling to Japan without decent funds sounds like a bad idea.

central / south america / se asia would be a much better idea on a low budget.

** YMG thats a good idea about the host family, but how would someone get that set up without being in some sort of program?

I dunno,haven't tried it. Tim Ferriss did it but I'm sure he did it through a program.

I feel like there would be a bit of a stigma if someone did it in their late twenties or thirties, but I have no idea really.

Just couchsurf if you want to stay with locals.

I wouldnt travel to highly developed country with little cash, better choose cheaper country. There are many places where you could go on a budget and have the time of your life [Image: smile.gif]

Hm. I never really considered Japan a highly developed country, but I guess I have a highly romanticized idea of what it's like.

Practically speaking, I can see how it is not the best idea.

Someone did mention Thailand though. That sounds interesting.

Quote:Quote:

I never really considered Japan a highly developed country

[Image: blink.gif]

It has the 2nd or 3rd highest GDP in the world, depending on which list you look at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cou..._(nominal)

Quote: (05-28-2011 05:05 PM)Docter Wrote:  

Hm. I never really considered Japan a highly developed country, but I guess I have a highly romanticized idea of what it's like.

Practically speaking, I can see how it is not the best idea.

Someone did mention Thailand though. That sounds interesting.

Japan is one of the most expensive countries in the world. Travelling around within Japan is very expensive. Beers in a bar at least $7-8, hotel around $60-70 is the minimum, a low budget meal from a convenience store $4, a real meal $10-20, taxi is about $3 per mile. With no money you probably aren't lasting long there.

how do ppl afford shit in Japan?!?!? does everyone there make bank or some shit?!?!?

I never really considered Japan a highly developed country

smh ashdlahdjfhsdfsdfs

Quote: (05-29-2011 02:50 AM)Dash Global Wrote:  

how do ppl afford shit in Japan?!?!? does everyone there make bank or some shit?!?!?

Japanese are paid well and people live at home until they get married. Young Japanese women had lots of disposable income because they live at home.

If you are fortunate enough to work for a company on an expat package, your housing is taken care of which is a major expense.

For government and military types there, you are given a generous COLA (Cost of Living Adjustment).

Personally, I am happy Japan is very expensive. The women are hot and willing to bed and the high prices keeps alot of riff-raff away.

You were considering flying out to Japan with little money because you never considered it highly developed? Genius!

What exactly do you know about Japan that made you want to go there? The only answer I can think of is 'not much' if you didn't even know that.

in short docter....your plan sucks.

I'm still not sure how it is possible not to know that Japan is highly developed. Besides maybe Sumo, Karate, and Sushi isn't that the first thing someone thinks of when you mention Japan.

I did it when I was 19 but I flew to Bangkok and ended up staying 2 and a half years in Asia

Dont know about Japan but stayed half a year in China before and enjoyed it too, only problem was the language.

I think that Thailand might also be a bad idea in this case.

Just think a little more about what you really want to do and get a job.

Did you just write that? Dude, Japan, is the most advanced country in the world technologically speaking. The US, Canada and and most Western Euro countries compared to Japan are like 3rd world countries. Make yourself a huge favor and do some research on Japan before you land there (the same advice applies to any country btw)...Go there with an open mind, a healthy budget and you'll have the time of your life and be blown away like no other country in the world will ever do.

Hm. I never really considered Japan a highly developed country,

I totally 2nd that. I'd say the same about Brasil. While I really loved my time in Thailand and can't wait to return, I did find it bothersome at times as it was over filled with the cheapos and low life type of people there.

Quote: (05-29-2011 03:39 AM)alb3 Wrote:  

[quote='Dash Global' pid='61422' dateline='1306655430']
Personally, I am happy Japan is very expensive. The women are hot and willing to bed and the high prices keeps alot of riff-raff away.

Quote: (05-30-2011 02:16 AM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

I totally 2nd that. I'd say the same about Brasil. While I really loved my time in Thailand and can't wait to return, I did find it bothersome at times as it was over filled with the cheapos and low life type of people there.

[quote] (05-29-2011 03:39 AM)alb3 Wrote:  

(05-29-2011, 07:50 AM)Dash Global Wrote:  Personally, I am happy Japan is very expensive. The women are hot and willing to bed and the high prices keeps alot of riff-raff away.

As much as I love Thailand I have to agree with you on that one. Lots of Euro-trash, pedophiles, and creepy back-packer types. Thailand has so much going for it. Pattaya was one of my favorite spots, went back last year and I couldn't believe how it was overrun by the cheapos.

Thankfully, this will never happen in Japan. Japan is one of the classiest countries I've ever been to and they know how to have a good time. And it is the only country I've been to where the technology is out there and "in your face." I love it.

It's hilarious that someone would rant about the other type of people that go to Thailand then state their favourite spot was Pattaya aka a sex tourist resort and a complete dump. There's nothing nice about it, it's where all the seediest people that visit Thailand go, it's about as far away from being authentic Thai as you can get and it's dull as fuck unless you're interested in bar girls and shit generic neon lit bars.

At least most of the backpackers who go actually explore the country instead of just heading straight to a beach resort to chase whores.