rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Christian Gnostic books

Christian Gnostic books

I recently have started reading the Nag Hammadi library texts. In my journey to understand christianity, I've had a fun time trying to imagine what the early christian church was like. I have finished the bible and part of me feels that a lot of it seems to be... missing. It feels like an incomplete story. Revelation in particular to me doesn't make sense in relation to to other books.

When I started reading these Nag Hammadi texts more, I realized why Revelation reads so oddly. A lot of these other texts read the exact same way.

At the risk of sounding heretical, these readings have greatly expanded my understanding of faith, spirituality, life/death, etc. . Not to mention, I've been able to reconcile a lot of inconsistencies with my faith that most prior religious leaders where unable to help reconcile for me.

Like the most favorite: Why would God be jealous if there are no other gods before him?

Or, if God is almighty and all-powerful then can he make a rock that he himself can't move?

Pastors and religious leaders where always unable to help me answer faith based questions like these. I can't blindly trust things and this is where my faith led me to.

Here is a good website with the translated coptic materials: http://gnosis.org/naghamm/nhl.html

Christian Gnostic books

I salute you for your attempt at making sense of those things. I tried to get through them years ago and was left sputtering. "Thunder Perfect Mind" WTF? A lot has to do with the translator and the way they were first written. What I have always felt is these were "new age" type material. Just not a lot of common thinking among them. Anyone looking for an additional gospel will be disappointed

Christian Gnostic books

I consider myself a Gnostic. My favorite is "Gospel of Thomas."

Christian Gnostic books

I would say Revelation is probably better understood when compared to other parts of the bible such as Ezekiel and definitely Daniel

Christian Gnostic books

Also, I question a lot of the popular translations. Coptic isn't entirely a dead language. Egyptian Christians still use it as a liturgical language and I don't think they were ever consulted.

Christian Gnostic books

I've read Bible commentaries that compare the text back to the Coptic. The Coptic text has been used and referenced throughout church history.

Christian Gnostic books

Bump.

Jordan Peterson, to Carl Jung, to gnostic interpretations of the Book of Job and gnostic analysis of the human psyche.

Who else has been going down this rabbit hole of old Christian texts, and who has dug up any interesting insights from some gnostic texts?

Quote:PapayaTapper Wrote:
you seem to have a penchant for sticking your dick in high drama retarded trash.

Christian Gnostic books

Speaking of Gnostic books, I seem to remember a passage from the Book of Peter or from one of the books that people that are in hell or who have been sent can actually get out of there if people pray for them. Does anyone remember that? It makes it seem that it's really temporary before the Catholic Church decided to not put the Book in there to keep people going to Church and conflicting with their preaching.

If I recall too, Judaism doesn't really have a hell but there is a place called Gehenna where people and sinners who died spent up to a year there in fire before they go to Heaven. That and some parts of Maccabees also involve praying for the dead. I guess purgatory came out of the idea from Gehenna.

Christian Gnostic books

Gnosticism seems to be on the rise or becoming the new counter christianity. A lot of people on 4chan and elsewhere identify as gnostics and know a lot about it compared to years ago.
Im guessing the recent news about scientists saying reality is a simulation etc. makes atheists doubt their religion.

Christian Gnostic books

If you are interested in apocyrphal books, then you should consider reading Douglas Reed's Controversy of Zion. A few notes. Reed was an anti-Zionist and saw a world-wide conspiracy. He was shunned by the controlled media as being an anti-semite. His book is blasphemous on some levels. Basically he says the Levites created the Law to control the other tribes. I never finished it but apparrently he goes into the global zionist conspiracy later in the book. I won't vouch for it but it is certainly interesting and provocative.

He started out as a foreign correspondent and wrote an influential book about Hitler, Insanity Fair, and then wrote a book about the U.S. and political conspiracies called Far and Wide which I want to read. That's when he got labeled unsuitable, so he must have revealed some truths.

Christian Gnostic books

Quote: (10-14-2017 03:53 AM)loremipsum Wrote:  

Im guessing the recent news about scientists saying reality is a simulation etc. makes atheists doubt their religion.

Everyone is an atheist to the majority of religions.

Pure atheists just disbelieve one god more, making it totally not a religion.

Christian Gnostic books

Gnosticism seems to be on the rise or becoming the new counter christianity. A lot of people on 4chan and elsewhere identify as gnostics and know a lot about it compared to years ago.

It seems like gnosticism is one step towards masonic beliefs. In this sense it is like atheism, which is also a transitory belief system and one that is bound to devolve since no human culture has ever been atheistic.

“Nothing is more useful than to look upon the world as it really is.”

Christian Gnostic books

Quote: (10-14-2017 03:44 PM)911 Wrote:  

It seems like gnosticism is one step towards masonic beliefs. In this sense it is like atheism, which is also a transitory belief system and one that is bound to devolve since no human culture has ever been ascetic.

-Sincerely, devout member of the Grammar Nazi thread.

Per Ardua Ad Astra | "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum"

Cobra and I did some awesome podcasts with awesome fellow members.

Christian Gnostic books

oh wait...i misread.

grammar nazi card revoked.

Per Ardua Ad Astra | "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum"

Cobra and I did some awesome podcasts with awesome fellow members.

Christian Gnostic books

I saw a van today for a church called "The Essene Church of Peace". It claimed to be "progressive, ecological and alternative" on the banner. Is this supposed to be a Gnostic church? Inquiring minds want to know. The van had New York tags.

Christian Gnostic books

The Gnostic texts are all frauds. Most likely Jewish fraudsters hell bent on mocking Christianity even in the early days. Paul warned of such false teachings already circulating the area not long after the religion started.

Remember in Genesis, Satan gets Eve to doubt God's word. "Yay, hath God said?". It would make logical sense that Satan's primary target is the Bible itself. Hence why there's like 300 plus fraudulent editions floating around out there puzzling everyone about what's true and what's not true and taking the strength out of the religion.

This is why Muslims love to say the Bible can't be trusted because it's been written and rewritten so many times. It's not that it's been rewritten (well maybe The Message Bible), but the texts have just been edited and vandalized so many times. And in a sense they are right. Hence why they say Mohammed was needed to be the final messenger and give the "final revelation". Muslims love the Gnostic texts.

God is so great and can do anything but he just can't get us his right message. I laugh.

The Gnostic texts, when compared with the real books of the King James Bible are so poorly written and different in writing style it's like night and day. How anyone can take the Gnostic texts seriously makes me scratch my head. Like the "Gospel of Thomas". Jesus talks about turning men into women and having people drink from his mouth. I mean they are completely bizarre. Almost comical. They all belong in dumpsters and incinerated. These texts are clearly the work of early haters trying to piss on the religion.

Times change; people do not.

Dreams are like horses; they run wild on the earth. Catch one and ride it. Throw a leg over and ride it for all its worth.
Psalm 25:7
https://youtu.be/vHVoMCH10Wk

Christian Gnostic books

Quote: (10-14-2017 07:25 PM)ColSpanker Wrote:  

I saw a van today for a church called "The Essene Church of Peace". It claimed to be "progressive, ecological and alternative" on the banner. Is this supposed to be a Gnostic church? Inquiring minds want to know. The van had New York tags.

The Essene sect of Judaism was the sect out of which Christianity grew. Jesus taught a blend of Essene Judaism with some Neo-Platonic philosophy.

This is why the Pharisees and Sadducees hated him, and the Zealots ignored him. The Essenes were highly ascetic, the Pharisees were a middle class of craftsmen and merchants, and the Sadducees were old money and priests. The Zealots carried out guerrilla warfare against Rome, like jihadis.

The Essenes were seen as too eclectic to threaten the coalition of Pharisees and Sadducees, until Jesus came along and added the Neo-Platonism that made his brand of Judaism more palatable to the masses.

That was roughly the situation in Judaism at Jesus' and Caesar Augustus' time.

YoungBlade's HEMA Datasheet
Tabletop Role-playing Games
Barefoot walking (earthing) datasheet
Occult/Wicca/Pagan Girls Datasheet

Havamal 77

Cows die,
family die,
you will die the same way.
I know only one thing
that never dies:
the reputation of the one who's died.

Christian Gnostic books

Spectrumwalker is correct, these Gnostic books are Satanic literatures.

*Warning: A lot of copy and paste ahead.*

1) Link: Why did God create Satan?
Excerpt: "God created Satan as Lucifer, the highest ranking angel of all. Lucifer, however, wasn’t content to worship and serve his Creator. Full of pride, he rebelled, leading a third of the angels. Unable to match the Almighty God, Lucifer was cast to the earth where he has operated as the devil ever since.

The biblical passages of Job, Isaiah 14:12-15, Matthew 4:3-10, and Revelation 12:7-12 provide a glimpse of Satan’s history and character.

God did not create Lucifer as evil but allowed the potential for sin. While God cannot commit sin, He doesn’t take it away from those who do. When Lucifer chose to rebel, he instantly became the author of sin. Evil is the result of a free-will choice by Lucifer.

Satan and sin don’t foil God’s divine purposes. Evil in stark contrast to good, shows God’s mercy to whom He chooses to provide salvation. God uses evil and demons for His divine purposes (1 Samuel 16:15-16).

Satan fears God’s predestined plan: salvation, new heaven, and new earth for His chosen people who are made holy, perfectly moral, and volitionally loving. He will prove that He is victorious over evil and evil beings who follow Satan’s ways. Personal peace of mind about Satan and evil comes from being God-centered. God rules forever!"

The above gives deep insight to the world we live in, because "Lucifer was cast to the earth where he has operated as the devil ever since."

2) Link: History of Satan
Excerpt: "History of Satan - Satan’s seduction versus reality
In our scientific, rational age, spiritual beliefs are scorned as myth. Satan, however, doesn’t mind those who rebuff the reality of fallen angels or demons. By masking himself, he can tempt and deceive people without blame. The wise will never forget that Satan and demons, determined to deceive humans, are fighting real battles and wars against heavenly angels.

Satan compels or entices his prey to follow him whether they realize it or not. Maybe they are simply ignorant and confused. Many would rather believe human theory than obey divine revelation and natural law. Whether blind, bound, or brazenly willing, they join Satan for a doomed destiny. They condemn themselves to eternity in hell."

Satan don't give a flying fook whether you believe in him or not, he just wants to tempt you towards a doomed destiny, aka eternity in hell.

3) Link: Why does God allow Satan to live?

Excerpt: "There will be evidences of God's patience with us and of his mercy towards us as we struggle with sin. And there will be evidences of his sustaining grace as we go through horrific physical suffering that Satan was the immediate cause of (as it says in the Bible: "This woman . . . whom Satan bound for eighteen years" [Luke 13:16]. She had this bent-over back, and Satan was doing it, and God was ordaining that he be allowed to do it). God ordains all of these things so that his glory—his mercy, justice, grace, wisdom—would shine more brightly."

Free will can be cruel or it can even be honorable and inspiring.
Without it, God's creations would be very dull.
Imagine the love you have for your unpredictable dog or child versus the love you have for a picture you drew of a dog or child doing some specific action you pre-planned.

Christian Gnostic books

Ahh good to see this thread again. I had a lot of life experiences happen since I wrote my deep dive into gnosticism.

My impetus at the time of writing this was more of an effort to discover stories into the primordial world that existed before Adam all the way to the Flood. Stuff like the Book of Enoch, fallen angels, Nephilim, etc stuff like that.

At this point in time, I am very much back where I started. Jesus is the son of God and is the path to salvation. The gnostic texts do not disagree with this, but SpectrumWalker is very correct. There are definitely some troll works snuck in by early antichristians whether Jewish, Roman, or otherwise.

I caution anyone who is reading these texts to be firm in their faith as it is easy to be swayed if you're not spiritually firm. The same caution should be extended to those studying other religious works like Islam, Hinduism, and beyond.

Those who identify as gnostics but don't accept Jesus as the path to salvation are fools.

Christian Gnostic books

I'm not Christian, but what is Satanic about those explanations? It seems to be pretty clear about God being diametrically opposite of Satan, Satan being evil and not to be followed no matter what, the fact that God is benevolent, etc... someone please clarify what is unusual about it?

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

Christian Gnostic books

Quote: (10-18-2017 09:34 AM)Handsome Creepy Eel Wrote:  

I'm not Christian, but what is Satanic about those explanations? It seems to be pretty clear about God being diametrically opposite of Satan, Satan being evil and not to be followed no matter what, the fact that God is benevolent, etc... someone please clarify what is unusual about it?

I agree i'm not sure what ScrapperTL was getting at as all of those links he posted are just general arguments on why Satan exists and tries to explain his presence. Nowhere do they mention Gnosticism. If you read the Gnostic literature available, where Satan came from is explained as well as why this Earth exists. The gnostic texts I've read do not run contrary to anything written in the New Testament nor do they contain anything satanic in literature.

There ARE however various written works that try to discredit the life of Jesus and make fools of early Christians (troll works). Very easy to identify these.

I've slowly been trying to learn Koine Greek and biblical Hebrew in an effort to understand the older written copies of the bible from the Septuagint and other early written sources. It's been...hard to say the least. Thankfully, there's a lot of resources out there to help this. Regardless, the older writings have their own nuances to them that don't lend to easy translations into modern vernacular.

With this in mind, I'll be the first to say it: the King James Bible is no better than a modern translation. Anytime I hear someone try and say otherwise or claim it's the unequivocal word of God superseding even older texts, I laugh and walk away.

Such a statement shows a complete lack of knowledge on the colorful history of the works the bible was translated from. Anytime I hear this statement, the reply should always be to learn ancient Greek and Hebrew if you want the real word of God.

Christian Gnostic books

Reminds me of a great teacher who said when treating this topic of the gnostic "Lost Gospels" that you commonly see referred to on TV or things like the History Channel. He said, "Two things are sure --- they were never lost. And they were never of the Gospel."

Christian Gnostic books

And by the way, Christianity is not neo-platonism in any fashion. The Early Church fathers have many writings "against the Hellenes" which means against their platonic teachings.

Christian Gnostic books

Quote: (10-19-2017 06:14 PM)The Beast1 Wrote:  

With this in mind, I'll be the first to say it: the King James Bible is no better than a modern translation. Anytime I hear someone try and say otherwise or claim it's the unequivocal word of God superseding even older texts, I laugh and walk away.

Such a statement shows a complete lack of knowledge on the colorful history of the works the bible was translated from. Anytime I hear this statement, the reply should always be to learn ancient Greek and Hebrew if you want the real word of God.

I wish I had a computer to cogently write my thoughts, alas I'm writing from my phone so bare with me.

This topic alone is probably worthy of it's own thread. Nonetheless since it's been raised why not. Respectfully I'd like to diasgree with you on this as I'm firmly on the KJV only side with the same reactions as you to anyone who isn't. ha.

First things first. Researching the history of how the different Bibles came to be is good and dandy and all. And should be for anyone interested in religion. But there's a far easier way to get to the bottom of this debate. And every Christian should try this test if they are able to do so.

Islam. Muslims hold these sidewalk stands called Dawahs. It's where they pass out free Qurans and pamphlets and tell everyone walking by how much they love Jesus and all other sorts of lies. Find one stand and take an NIV or some other new age bible and go sit and talk with them. Find another stand, or come back to the same one with a KJV.

At these dawahs Muslims carry Bibles with them specifically to pull out for debate and show people verses in the Bible that shows Jesus wasn't God or alludes to the coming of Mohammed. The one Bible you will never find at a Dawah is the King James. The King James is a weapon against Islam. Their arguments about the divinity of Jesus fall apart with the King James. Not so with the other bibles which is why they carry them.

For example just to give two verses. I could go on, but these are the two most powerful. Luke 11:20 and 1 John 5:7. At Dawahs a Muslim will ask "give me one quote that Jesus was god in the flesh." Or, "give me one quote that proves you aren't polytheists and believe only in one god.".

For the first. Luke 11:20. Let's take what the KJV says vs the NIV and all others, for only the KJV is it written like this.

KJV:"But if I with the finger of God cast out devils, no doubt the kingdom of God is come upon you."

NIV: "But if I drive out demons by the finger of God, then the kingdom of God has come upon you."

Notice the difference? It's written with . In the others "by" means like on behalf of. A seprate extension of another entity. With means like in your possession. How could a man claim to cast out demons with the finger of God, if he himself was not actually God. Lord, lunatic or liar. It's one of the three. I'll never forget the first time I spoke with a Muslim about this verse and how it shows that Jesus was God in the flesh. He was at loss for words because he'd never seen it like that before. Same everytime after. It leaves em speechless.

1 John 5:7. KJV " For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one."

NIV: "For there are three that testify: the Spirit, the water and the blood; and the three are in agreement."

What complete and utter blasphemous garbage! No wonder Muslims say that Christians are polytheists with vandalized verses like with what's been done in the NIV. Which verse more clearly shows the triune nature of God? How a Christian could honestly defend any other bible after that? It makes me want to pull my hair out.

Like I mentioned earlier, Satan tempted Eve to merely doubt what God had said in the garden of Eden. Should this make Christians raise some eyebrows and think that maybe, just maybe that's Satan's best way to undermine God is to attack his word? Maybe that's the one place Christians need to be on guard the most. I reckon. Bible says man can not live by bread alone but by every word of God. If that's the case, then somewhere, somehow there has to be an every word Bible. And it's the KJV. Hands down. Muslims are 100% correct when they say bibles have been tampered with. But not the King James and it's umderlying manuscripts.

Speaking of manuscripts. How did the Bibles come to be, or what if one don't speak English? Well find your version that's been translated from the KJV as the KJV was born from the Textus Receptus manuscripts to which there are and thousands of copies. Compare that to the I think handful of Alexandrian Codices; Vaticanus and Sinaiticus to which all modern Bibles can be traced to. Oh wait but they're older. (everyone say oooohh ahhhh). Vaticanus? Sounds real suspicious already. And Codex Sinaiticus, the manuscripts were found in a dumpster. Do you think God would allow his manuscripts to be found in a dumpster at the fake tourist Mt Sinai? (real one is in Saudi Arabia.) Then to top it off, the two men, Westcott and Hort who got there grubby little paws on these to produce the Bibles that most of Christianity uses today, according to their own words of their journals didn't even believe in the religion all that much. They were Romanists and occultists. Would you trust bible translators who started a think group called "The Ghostly Guild?". The hell with that. This was the late 1880's at the height of the beginning of the new age movement. Read Blavatskys own words about subverting churches.

Beast, this is what we're up against. The Bible says the word of God is sharper than any two edged sword. Taking the KJV to Muslims is like taking a freshly forged blade with you to defend the faith. Taking any of the others is like taking a rusty old butter knife with you. Anything God does is powerful. Just reading the KJV, you can feel the power, depth and beauty of the book in ways you simply can not with any other version.

There was an article on ROK recently about the need for muscle again in Christianity. Yeah no shit. There are still bulldog muscle churches out there. They are few and far between. But they all use the King James because there's strength and power in it. There's a reason why Christianity has gone limp because 98% of all churches use trash bibles that have been edited to be more sensitive and liberal. Words like reprobate, effimanite, whore, etc are nowhere to br found in them modern bibles. Oh but they're easier to understand, they say. Horseshit, like thees and thous really complicate matters. Laziness and trying to appeal to people sensitivities are the real reasons. And suspicioisly all moden Bibles are removing the word hell less and less. That sure is convenient. Looks like Jesus died to save the world from nothing then. Satan's fingerprints are all over these poodle bibles.

That's cool and all your learning Greek, but that's like something a Muslim would say. "oh you need to speak Arabic to understand the true meaning of the scriptures". What if I don't speak Arabic? "oh well over time your love for Allah will grow and you'll want to learn out of respect". Nonsense. God dispersed the people at the tower of Babel and confounded languages. Unlike Hillary Clinton, God believes in borders, nations and languages. God's word and message of salvation is available to all peoples of all languages thanks to the textus receptus manuscripts.

Dreams are like horses; they run wild on the earth. Catch one and ride it. Throw a leg over and ride it for all its worth.
Psalm 25:7
https://youtu.be/vHVoMCH10Wk

Christian Gnostic books

When I traveled to Israel, I took a trip to the temple mount (won't dignify it with its bastardized muslim name). There, I met muslim dawahs that had all sorts of bibles present. They had a KJV, NIV, ESV, and more as their source of criticism when they were trying to evangelize the Koran. They're all over that place like flies on shit.

Regardless, their arguments were easily muted when I told them to stop reading verses out of context which is a religious pet peeve of mine, which ironically you've done above.

Regardless, please answer this question:
After reading an NIV or any non-KJV variant, did you find anything contrary to this statement:

Quote:Quote:

I believe in God, the Father almighty,
creator of heaven and earth.

I believe in Jesus Christ, God's only Son, our Lord,
who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,
born of the Virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died, and was buried;
he descended to the dead.
On the third day he rose again;
he ascended into heaven,
he is seated at the right hand of the Father,
and he will come to judge the living and the dead.

I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the holy catholic Church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and the life everlasting.

Christianity has no liturgical purity doctrine at all and attempting to try like and claim like you did above will back you into corners.

The best way to argue with a Muslim is to flip the argument back on them. How well are they living the life of Mohammid? Any slight deviation, especially in regards to Jihad, is a path to hell. Full stop, no questions asked.

Try arguing on a spiritual basis next time instead of a doctrinal one. The word of God is clever like that.

Moving on, I've been down this path before at a previous church. To be honest, then I stated that this debate is inconsequential in the grander world of issues troubling the church and I feel the same today. The reason I feel this way is simple: Jesus' message and law to use can be distilled down to a very simple one which thankfully Church leaders eons ago helped write down for us. Do any of these various translations run contrary to these statements that bind us all as Christians?

Here's a great resource by theologian Danial Wallace that I used then and feel is relevant to what we're discussing today that is written from the perspective of someone who works in a setting where these questions get asked all of the time. The answers are stunning and eye-opening in this debate:

https://bible.org/article/why-i-do-not-t...able-today

First, I want to affirm with all evangelical Christians that the Bible is the Word of God, inerrant, inspired, and our final authority for faith and life. However, nowhere in the Bible am I told that only one translation of it is the correct one. Nowhere am I told that the King James Bible is the best or only ‘holy’ Bible. There is no verse that tells me how God will preserve his word, so I can have no scriptural warrant for arguing that the King James has exclusive rights to the throne. The arguments must proceed on other bases.

Let's just stop right here for a second. Like I stated earlier and will state again: there is NO purity doctrine that outlines the KJV or any bible as the one true word.

Second, the Greek text which stands behind the King James Bible is demonstrably inferior in certain places. The man who edited the text was a Roman Catholic priest and humanist named Erasmus.1 He was under pressure to get it to the press as soon as possible since (a) no edition of the Greek New Testament had yet been published, and (b) he had heard that Cardinal Ximenes and his associates were just about to publish an edition of the Greek New Testament and he was in a race to beat them. Consequently, his edition has been called the most poorly edited volume in all of literature! It is filled with hundreds of typographical errors which even Erasmus would acknowledge. Two places deserve special mention. In the last six verses of Revelation, Erasmus had no Greek manuscript (=MS) (he only used half a dozen, very late MSS for the whole New Testament any way). He was therefore forced to ‘back-translate’ the Latin into Greek and by so doing he created seventeen variants which have never been found in any other Greek MS of Revelation! He merely guessed at what the Greek might have been.

So history lesson here, this was a common problem. Christian scribes in the Catholic Church were known to do this all of the time which is why there's such a desire to find texts as close to the 1st century as possible. The more documents we have allows us to narrow down the original meaning. This next bit is insightful:

Secondly, for 1 John 5:7-8, Erasmus followed the majority of MSS in reading “there are three witnesses in heaven, the Spirit and the water and the blood.” However, there was an uproar in some Roman Catholic circles because his text did not read “there are three witnesses in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit.” Erasmus said that he did not put that in the text because he found no Greek MSS which had that reading. This implicit challenge—viz., that if he found such a reading in any Greek MS, he would put it in his text—did not go unnoticed. In 1520, a scribe at Oxford named Roy made such a Greek MS (codex 61, now in Dublin). Erasmus’ third edition had the second reading because such a Greek MS was ‘made to order’ to fill the challenge! To date, only a handful of Greek MSS have been discovered which have the Trinitarian formula in 1 John 5:7-8, though none of them is demonstrably earlier than the sixteenth century. [/b]

Again, another overzealous scribe. Seems to be a theme here doesn't it?

That is a very important point. It illustrates something quite significant with regard to the textual tradition which stands behind the King James. Probably most textual critics today fully embrace the doctrine of the Trinity (and, of course, all evangelical textual critics do). And most would like to see the Trinity explicitly taught in 1 John 5:7-8. But most reject this reading as an invention of some overly zealous scribe. The problem is that the King James Bible is filled with readings which have been created by overly zealous scribes! Very few of the distinctive King James readings are demonstrably ancient. And most textual critics just happen to embrace the reasonable proposition that the most ancient MSS tend to be more reliable since they stand closer to the date of the autographs. I myself would love to see many of the King James readings retained. The story of the woman caught in adultery (John 7:53-8:11) has always been a favorite of mine about the grace of our savior, Jesus Christ. That Jesus is called God in 1 Timothy 3:16 affirms my view of him. Cf. also John 3:13; 1 John 5:7-8, etc. But when the textual evidence shows me both that scribes had a strong tendency to add, rather than subtract, and that most of these additions are found in the more recent MSS, rather than the more ancient, I find it difficult to accept intellectually the very passages which I have always embraced emotionally. In other words, those scholars who seem to be excising many of your favorite passages from the New Testament are not doing so out of spite, but because such passages are not found in the better and more ancient MSS. It must be emphatically stressed, however, that this does not mean that the doctrines contained in those verses have been jeopardized. My belief in the deity of Christ, for example, does not live or die with 1 Timothy 3:16. In fact, it has been repeatedly affirmed that no doctrine of Scripture has been affected by these textual differences. If that is true, then the ‘King James only’ advocates might be crying wolf where none exists, rather than occupying themselves with the more important aspects of advancing the gospel.2

In short, each new translation of the bible doesn't change the core message (IE go against any of the creeds we state each Sunday). I challenge you to find places that run contrary to this.

It should be said, having a dogmatic approach to a particular Biblical translation on the basis of it being "pure" doctrine is similar to Islam's adherence to requiring believers to learn Arabic in order to really understand. I find it the height of hubris that you claim my efforts and encouragement to learn Koine Greek and biblical Hebrew relate in any way to the satanic trash peddled by common Imans.

Do you realize that every pastor in every denomination learns how to read and translate these very languages? Seminary students are taught this for the same reason i'm writing this to you today: they understand the historical contexts each of these translations were written in, that early Christian scribes took liberties in their efforts, and try to give a good faith effort in distilling and giving the most authentic message.

Third, the King James Bible has undergone three revisions since its inception in 1611, incorporating more than 100,000 changes. Which King James Bible is inspired, therefore?

This is my favorite little historical tidbit that KJV only people are unaware of. Which revision is the inspired word? I await your answer SW.

Fourth, 300 words found in the KJV no longer bear the same meaning—e.g., “Suffer little children…to come unto me” (Matt 19:14). “Study to shew thyself approved unto God” (2 Tim 2:15). Should we really embrace a Bible as the best translation when it uses language that not only is not clearly understood any more, but in fact has been at times perverted and twisted?3

Fifth, the KJV includes one very definite error in translation, which even KJV advocates would admit. In Matthew 23:24 the KJV has ‘strain at a gnat and swallow a camel.’ But the Greek has ‘strain out a gnat and swallow a camel.’ In the least, this illustrates not only that no translation is infallible but also that scribal corruptions can and do take place-even in a volume which has been worked over by so many different hands (for the KJV was the product of a very large committee of over 50 scholars).4

Sixth, when the KJV was first published, it was heavily resisted for being too easy to understand! Some people revere it today because it is difficult to understand. I fear that part of their response is due to pride: they feel as though they are able to discern something that other, less spiritual folks cannot. Often 1 Corinthians 2:13-16 is quoted with reference to the KJV (to the effect that ‘you would understand it if you were spiritual’). Such a use of that text, however, is a gross distortion of the Scriptures. The words in the New Testament, the grammar, the style, etc.—in short, the language—comprised the common language of the first century. We do God a great disservice when we make the gospel more difficult to understand than he intended it. The reason unspiritual people do not understand the scriptures is because they have a volitional problem, not an intellectual problem (cf. 1 Cor. 2:14 where ‘receive,’ ‘welcome’ shows clearly that the thing which blocks understanding is the sinful will of man).

I'll admit, I like the KJV in the same way I like Shakespeare. That old style English is fun to read!

Seventh, those who advocate that the KJV has exclusive rights to being called the Holy Bible are always, curiously, English-speaking people (normally isolated Americans). Yet, Martin Luther’s fine translation of the Bible into German predated the KJV by almost 100 years. Are we so arrogant to say that God has spoken only in English? And where there are substantial discrepancies between Luther’s Bible and the KJV (such as in 1 John 5:7-8), are we going to say that God has inspired both? Is he the author of lies? Our faith does not rest in a singular tradition, nor is it provincial. Vibrant, biblical Christianity must never unite itself with provincialism. Otherwise, missionary endeavor, among other things, would die.

Some good questions asked here, Luther was the unquestionable father of the reformation. Would Henry the 8th be so bombastic to break away from the Catholic Church had Luther never existed?

What about other translations of the bible that predate the KJV such as Luther's bible? China is quickly becoming a very large Christian country. Are we also to assume that all of these translations are inferior to the KJV? That the infallible word of God can only be heard in English?

Gosh that sounds a lot like how the Koran, the infallible word of God, can only be understood and read in Arabic!

Finally, though it is true that the modern translations ‘omit’ certain words and verses (or conversely, the KJV adds to the Word of God, depending on how you look at it), the issue is not black-or-white. In fact, the most recent edition of a Greek New Testament which is based on the majority of MSS, rather than the most ancient ones (and thus stands firmly behind the King James tradition), when compared to the standard Greek New Testament used in most modern translations, excises over six hundred and fifty words or phrases! Thus, it is not proper to suggest that only modern translations omit; the Greek text behind the KJV omits, too! The question, then, is not whether modern translations have deleted portions of the Word of God, but rather whether either the KJV or modern translations have altered the Word of God. I contend that the KJV has far more drastically altered the scriptures than have modern translations. Nevertheless, I repeat: most textual critics for the past two hundred and fifty years would say that no doctrine is affected by these changes. One can get saved reading the KJV and one can get saved reading the NIV, NASB, etc.

I trust that this brief survey of reasons I have for thinking that the King James Bible is not the best available translation will not be discarded quickly. All of us have a tendency to make mountains out of molehills and then to set up fortresses in those ‘mountains.’ We often cling to things out of emotion, rather than out of true piety. And as such we do a great disservice to a dying world that is desperately in need of a clear, strong voice proclaiming the gospel of Jesus Christ. Soli Deo gloria!

Very much agree with the last bolded part. The next bit was written especially for you SW!

Addendum

One further point is necessary. With the recent publication of several different books vilifying modern translations, asserting that they were borne out of conspiratorial motives, a word should be mentioned about this concocted theory. First, many of these books are written by people who have little or no knowledge of Greek or Hebrew, and are, further, a great distortion of the facts. I have read books on textual criticism for more than a quarter of a century, but never have I seen such illogic, out-of-context quotations, and downright deceptions about the situation as in these recent books. Second, although it is often asserted that heretics produced some of the New Testament MSS we now have in our possession, there is only one group of MSS known to be produced by heretics: certain Byzantine MSS of the book of Revelation.This is significant because the Byzantine text stands behind the KJV! These MSS formed part of a mystery cult textbook used by various early cults. But KJV advocates constantly make the charge that the earliest MSS (the Alexandrian MSS) were produced by heretics. The sole basis they have for this charge is that certain readings in these MSS are disagreeable to them! Third, when one examines the variations between the Greek text behind the KJV (the Textus Receptus) and the Greek text behind modern translations, it is discovered that the vast majority of variations are so trivial as to not even be translatable (the most common is the moveable nu, which is akin to the difference between ‘who’ and ‘whom’!).

Fourth, when one compares the number of variations that are found in the various MSS with the actual variations between the Textus Receptus and the best Greek witnesses, it is found that these two are remarkably similar. There are over 400,000 textual variants among NT MSS. But the differences between the Textus Receptus and texts based on the best Greek witnesses number about 5000—and most of these are untranslatable differences! In other words, over 98% of the time, the Textus Receptus and the standard critical editions agree.

Which I agree wholeheartedly. The differences you outlined above are so minuscule they don't change the meaning at all unless you're letting a Muslim control the debate with semantics and not spirit.

Those who vilify the modern translations and the Greek texts behind them have evidently never really investigated the data. Their appeals are based largely on emotion, not evidence. As such, they do an injustice to historic Christianity as well as to the men who stood behind the King James Bible. These scholars, who admitted that their work was provisional and not final (as can be seen by their preface and by their more than 8000 marginal notes indicating alternate renderings), would wholeheartedly welcome the great finds in MSS that have occurred in the past one hundred and fifty years.

1 Now a humanist in the sixteenth century is not the same as a humanist today. Erasmus was generally tolerant of other viewpoints and was particularly interested in the humanities. Although he was a friend of Melanchthon, Luther’s right-hand man, Luther did not care for him.

2 It is significant that Erasmus himself was quite progressive in his thinking, and would hardly be in favor of how the KJV Only advocates have embraced him as their champion. For example, every one of his editions of the Greek NT was a diglot—Latin on one side and Greek on the other. The Latin was his own translation, and was meant to improve upon Jerome’s Latin Vulgate—a translation which the Catholic church had declared to be inspired. For this reason, Cambridge University immediately banned Erasmus’ New Testament, and others followed suit. Elsewhere, Erasmus questioned whether the pericope adulterae (the story of the woman caught in adultery [John 7:53-8:11]), the longer ending of Mark (16:9-20), etc., were authentic.

Even the very author of the KJV doubted the authenticity of some of its stories! How can this be if the book is the word of God perfected?

3 “Suffer” in Matt 19:14 means “permit”; “study” in 2 Tim 2:15 means “be eager, be diligent.” See the Oxford English Dictionary (the largest unabridged dictionary of the English language) for help here: it traces the uses of words through their history, pinpointing the year in which a new meaning came into vogue.

The meaning of words has a tendency to change over time. Is the message your interpreting the correct one or are you looking up the etymology of the word to ensure your message in the KJV is the authentic one meant to a 17th century Englishmen?

4 There are other mistakes in the KJV which persist to this day, even though this translation has gone through several editions. For example, the KJV in Heb 4:8 reads: “For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.” This sounds as though Jesus could not provide the eternal rest that we all long for! However, the Greek word for Jesus is the same as the word for Joshua. And in the context of Heb 4, Joshua is obviously meant. There is no textual problem here; it is rather simply a mistake on the part of the translators, perpetuated for the last 400 years in all editions of the KJV.

The question of why the church is falling apart, in my opinion, is caused by the failings of Church Leaders to deliver tough love and explain consequences in terms that people understand. People seek out churches because they sense stagnation in their midst, yet too many churches are "nice" and don't deliver tough messages that people need to grow spiritually.

The churches that are growing (Joel Ostein for example) have tough messages that force people to admit to their failings and look for strength in Christ to help change them.

Look mate, if you love the KJV bible i'm not going to step in your way. However, your belief that it's the pure word of God is well placed, however, the foundations of this belief are built on sand as evidenced by everything written above and to be honest, it is missing the point in the grander scheme that is God's plan for this world.