rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Cruise ship job for gaming

I saw a thread about traveling the world as English teacher which was good. Can we please hear from people who have traveled the world working on cruise ship. Please talk about that lifestyle and feel free to add gaming info on the ships as needed.

Thanks in advance

B-Boddie

Cruise Bangs

My brother spent six months working as a chef on a cruise ship.

Your time is never your own. You share a bunk. You're not meant to socialize with the passengers. You work 12 - 18 hour days 7 days a week. shore leave is not guaranteed. The company will fuck you over.

He said life is better if you have a senior position (engineer / bridge staff), or if you work as part of the entertainment crew. He did end up fucking some of the hairdressers / beauticians though.

He was glad of the experience, buy said he wouldn't do it again.

I know a guy who played piano on a cruise ship and had good things to say. I really know nothing about working cruise ships so take this with a grain of salt, however I think if your a performer or have some unique skill you may get a bit more respect and maybe freedom, if your just a run of the mill unskliled employee I don't think the money is that great nor is the lifestyle. Also, like another poster said its pretty much a sure way to get fired to fraternize with guests so don't think your going to be fucking vactioners all the time, you may get away with it here and there but definately not a lifestyle.

Lastly, I imainge the pay can't be that great. If you've ever watched the CNBC show behind cruise ships or whatever its called its mostly people from the philllipines and other places working their asses off to send money back to their family.

Quote: (04-16-2015 12:07 PM)jamaicabound Wrote:  

I know a guy who played piano on a cruise ship and had good things to say. I really know nothing about working cruise ships so take this with a grain of salt, however I think if your a performer or have some unique skill you may get a bit more respect and maybe freedom, if your just a run of the mill unskliled employee I don't think the money is that great nor is the lifestyle. Also, like another poster said its pretty much a sure way to get fired to fraternize with guests so don't think your going to be fucking vactioners all the time, you may get away with it here and there but definately not a lifestyle.

Lastly, I imainge the pay can't be that great. If you've ever watched the CNBC show behind cruise ships or whatever its called its mostly people from the philllipines and other places working their asses off to send money back to their family.
Here's a data sheet. This isn't directly about a cruise ship, but from a similar environment.

Speaking from similar experience from an upscale out-of-the-way, self-contained resort the size of a cruise ship in the Midwest, high-skill contractors and employees in front office, high-visibility, client interacting roles get a bit more freedom. Behind the scenes staff are generally expected to remain behind the scenes even when off the clock and in civilian clothes. Even though they can use some guest accessible facilities (gyms, pools, tennis courts), they're generally restricted to the out-of-the-way ones and expected not to bother (read: interact with) guests. Think Victorian era house staff, neither seen nor heard.

Boning clients would be a major sin even for front-office roles, and you're not likely to even get the chance unless you are allowed to mingle with clients informally, which is pretty much limited to entertainers.

A lot of fornication goes on behind the scenes in the crew quarters, but it's effectively a college dorm - playerdom tends to be frowned upon in the closed environment. Workers form groups based on age, sex, intellect / education / job type, and language...i.e. young Vietnamese maids and middle-age Latino waiters vs. say, older American musicians. Relationships can cross divides but personal friendships less likely so. Shitshow parties in the dorms are likely to get broken up by on-site security, and can get you written up.

Everyone knows the dirt on everyone else. Gossip isn't a pastime, it's a way of life.

A good 40% of the lower-class labor is young and on seasonal worker visas willing to work for the $10/h, and ostensibly are also here to practice English, though they tend to just hang out with others from home. With room and board provided, they're able to save up a fair chunk of money over a season, as compared to their home countries. Maybe 25% of labor is seasonal workers, who are middle aged, and might work three seasons and spend winters working similar jobs in Florida, or go home to Turkey, Senegal, or wherever they're from - generally male, often ethnic, tend to be line managers or maybe even middle management. They're largely hoping to earn enough money to buy a house and get married in their home country before their knees and back give out. The remaining 35% of labor are locals, who tend to be 15% lower wage, 10% line managers, 5% high-skilled contractors or entertainers, and 5% middle and senior management. For obvious reasons, locals span all age groups, trend older, and are in management roles.

If you're in management, expect to deal with a little HR BS when you date co-workers, although in hospitality, dating co-workers is commonplace and taken less seriously than other industries. People often marry their co-workers.

If you're on land, having a car is crucial, and will make you very well positioned socially, as these places are out of the way, and you can't mingle where the clients do.

Verdict: not a bad way to earn summer money if you're under 22 and especially from abroad, and maybe get to travel a little. However, expect to be out of the way with limited free time, with limited opportunities to meet either girls or movers and shakers. These jobs essentially compare to au pair jobs, with longer hours but perhaps lower responsibilities. God help you if you're stuck at a job like this full time in your thirties.

Data Sheet Maps | On Musical Chicks | Rep Point Changes | Au Pairs on a Boat
Captainstabbin: "girls get more attractive with your dick in their mouth. It's science."
Spaniard88: "The "believe anything" crew contributes: "She's probably a good girl, maybe she lost her virginity to someone with AIDS and only had sex once before you met her...give her a chance.""

It sounds like unreasonably hard work for a low wage for anyone from a Western country. Might be good if you were from somewhere with low average income level, though.

What happens if you get fired midway through a cruise? Do you effectively cease all work activities and end up on an essentially free cruise?

Just have a long hard think about the type of people that go on cruises. Then you will realise that you will experience nothing other than disappointment.

The less fucks you give, the more fucks you get.