rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

First Indian to make it to the NBA

First Indian in NBA signed by Sac Kings

Sim Bhullar is the first Indian to make it to the NBA. He hails from the dick softening capital of the world, Toronto, Canada. He's Punjabi and I noticed that the Punjabi seem to be the larger stronger bunch of Indians that I have come across. I'm no expert of course and I'm sure our Indian members can clear up any speculations.

It's good that he made it. Good move for India who I feel should have more athletes in other fields than cricket.

However, I noticed that the owner of the Kings is also Indian. Did he hook up a countryman, I wonder? [Image: wink.gif] I say this because Sim was initially cut for the 2014 draft and had to work his skillset up in the D-League.

OUR NEW BLOG!

http://repstylez.com

My NEW TRAVEL E-BOOK - DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A RED CARPET AFFAIR

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K53LVR8

Love 'em or leave 'em but we can't live without lizardsssss..

An Ode To Lizards

It's a publicity stunt. It's the Sacramento Kings.

They haven't even sniffed the playoffs in nearly a decade. They need another way to keep getting fans through the door.

Look at this whole 'Sauce Castillo' thing they have going on for Nik Stauskas. The dude is averaging 4 points on 35 percent shooting and he is getting his own theme night and line of merchandise.

Sim is huge and he put up some ok numbers in the D-League. But that was for a team playing at a crazy fast pace which helps inflate his stats due to the extra possessions, rebounds available etcetera.

I doubt he'll ever find a home in the NBA. The NBA is another animal. The game is just too quick for a player of his mobility.

Respect to him for working hard though and getting a deal. But when your 7 foot 5 and 350 pounds and can even play just a little your gonna get some intrigue.

Ranadivé has absoulutley no idea what he is doing...the moves HE has made this season have been ridiculous...the kings are going to suffer a long time while he is the owner and continues to call the shots and sorround himself with YES men...

just one example:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-d...46018.html

I have nothing against billionaires who know nothing about sports wanting to own sports teams but once they decide to start having the final word on players and strategy just to appease them thats when things get stupid....

Bhullar will prob get a max deal from Ranadivé when he hits free agency after Ranadivé insists he starts the last few games of this season and gets 4 rebounds and says he has unlimited potential...

The man has potential. He is just a bulky and big project, he had a good college career I believe at New Mexico State. The other part is business. The Kings owner wants to corral the India market just like, the Houston Rockets did for China. The NBA wants a bigger presence in India and the King's ownwe wants to take the lead.

This guy will never make it in the NBA. Indians keep trolling us, man! Even that terrible comedienne Mindy Kaling's brother is trollin'.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-americ...ol-n337026

Kinda funny though.

Edit: I say all of this as a black guy with a lot of Indian friends. I think if 10% of the stuff said on here on about Indians was said about black people, most of us would have our panties completely in a wad.

Quote: (04-07-2015 08:49 AM)Lion of Judah Wrote:  

This guy will never make it in the NBA. Indians keep trolling us, man! Even that terrible comedienne Mindy Kaling's brother is trollin'.

Blackwell is right, Bhullar is ass, signing him has nothing to do with basketball.

Quote: (04-07-2015 12:24 PM)jariel Wrote:  

Quote: (04-07-2015 08:49 AM)Lion of Judah Wrote:  

Blackwell is right, Bhullar is ass, signing him has nothing to do with basketball.

He's getting signed as the 15th man on a bad team on a 10 day contract, those guys can never play anyway. His numbers in D league are fine but nothing spectacular. Of course, he's been signed because the owner is Indian and Bhullar is of Indian descent so that might be a marketing goldmine if Bhullar can be a somewhat competent player. If he's garbage like many think he is then the Kings lose nothing. It's not like they signed him for 2 years on a guaranteed deal. It's pretty much a low-risk, high-reward situation for them.

Either way, some people are getting too hung up on his race. In the NBA tall 7 footers will always get these small chances even if they are completely shit. Teams are always looking for more size.

Apparently the NBA has been trying to put forward their efforts to gain support in India just the same way they did in China with the whole Yao Ming thing. This is happening in the WWE as well where a lot of the fan base is from India. I think he will do ok in the NBA.

Quote: (04-07-2015 05:08 AM)Moma Wrote:  

First Indian in NBA signed by Sac Kings

Sim Bhullar is the first Indian to make it to the NBA. He hails from the dick softening capital of the world, Toronto, Canada. He's Punjabi and I noticed that the Punjabi seem to be the larger stronger bunch of Indians that I have come across. I'm no expert of course and I'm sure our Indian members can clear up any speculations.

It's good that he made it. Good move for India who I feel should have more athletes in other fields than cricket.

However, I noticed that the owner of the Kings is also Indian. Did he hook up a countryman, I wonder? [Image: wink.gif] I say this because Sim was initially cut for the 2014 draft and had to work his skillset up in the D-League.

Yes, he also promotes bollywood night for games and other Indian events. He's really big in promoting the game in Indian with the hopes of finding a big time talented star

The first real Indian player from India should be this guy called Satnam Singh Bhamara who should be entering this year's draft. He is a 7'2" 19 year old whom they picked out of a village some years ago.

You don't get there till you get there

He's Punjabi and I noticed that the Punjabi seem to be the larger stronger bunch of Indians that I have come across. I'm no expert of course and I'm sure our Indian members can clear up any speculations.

Punjabis are known to be the bad-asses of the Indian subcontinent. This comes as no surprise.

Tuthmosis Twitter | IRT Twitter

I’m Punjabi. Here’s some comments I made about Punjabis:

Quote: (02-04-2015 07:38 PM)WalterBlack Wrote:  

I’m not hating on other Indians, but I’m glad I was raised in a Punjabi household. I was never told not to drink or eat anything. My dad let me to take sips of his beer when I was 6 years old. I remember my dad’s uncle in India giving me shit because I didn’t smoke! My dad told me the first place he went to after he landed in the UK in the early 1960s was the pub. His uncle picked him up from the airport and took him for a pint!

The town that I grew up in had an Indian population that was all Punjabi, so I was used to seeing Indians who drank alcohol and ate meat. Nowadays, many of the nightclubs and bars are owned by British born Punjabis.

More comments:

Quote: (02-18-2015 08:21 PM)WalterBlack Wrote:  

Indian men should not be bunched together for height. Height depends on what part of India your family is from – northerners tend to be taller. I’m a 5’10” Punjabi and I’m nothing out of the ordinary for a USA/Canada/UK born and raised Punjabi. I’m the shortest of my brothers – they’re all 6ft and above and the tallest is 6’3”. A Punjabi guy who lived across the street from me in UK is 6’6”.

The shitty Indian diet doesn’t help matters – if you take a guy from Punjab who’s 5’6” and raise his kids in the west, on a western diet then they’ll be the same height as the average western guy.

Punjab is a wide open plain so plenty of foreigners have come through over the years. Greeks, Persians, Arabs, Mongols, Afghans, Central Asians, British have all been in the area over the years. A lot of the men ended up joining the military.

There's also been a lot of mixing. I got my DNA data from 23andMe and had it analyzed by GEDMatch. Apparently I'm only around 40% Indian.

Quote: (04-07-2015 03:18 PM)Tuthmosis Wrote:  

He's Punjabi and I noticed that the Punjabi seem to be the larger stronger bunch of Indians that I have come across. I'm no expert of course and I'm sure our Indian members can clear up any speculations.

Punjabis are known to be the bad-asses of the Indian subcontinent. This comes as no surprise.

Gotta disagree with you here. Pretty sure the Gurkhas hold that title.

HSLD

HSLD

Quote: (04-07-2015 05:10 PM)WalterBlack Wrote:  

Punjab is a wide open plain so plenty of foreigners have come through over the years. Greeks, Persians, Arabs, Mongols, Afghans, Central Asians, British have all been in the area over the years. A lot of the men ended up joining the military.

There's also been a lot of mixing. I got my DNA data from 23andMe and had it analyzed by GEDMatch. Apparently I'm only around 40% Indian.

Is this something you're proud of?

Quote: (04-07-2015 07:50 PM)civpro Wrote:  

No, I'm just stating facts. I mentioned it to show how much mixing there's been over the years.

Quote: (04-07-2015 08:49 PM)WalterBlack Wrote:  

No, I'm just stating facts. I mentioned it to show how much mixing there's been over the years.

What is 'Indian' according to the test you did? And what is the 60% of you that's 'not Indian'?

Quote: (04-07-2015 09:05 PM)civpro Wrote:  

What is 'Indian' according to the test you did? And what is the 60% of you that's 'not Indian'?

Indian as in the races from the Indian subcontinent, the rest was Middle Eastern, central Asian, western China and a tiny bit of European.

Northern Indians are more mixed, hence lighter skin. I found these pictures online:

[Image: 4352088294_4dd6ee03b7.jpg]

[Image: 4478665934_928e952d0b.jpg]

If you have a good eye for this shit [like I do] you can tell what STATE an Indian person is from just by looking at them.

Quote: (04-07-2015 09:36 PM)Slim Shady Wrote:  

If you have a good eye for this shit [like I do] you can tell what STATE an Indian person is from just by looking at them.

What are some ways to tell?

^ Simply by meeting enough Indians and learning their background you will learn easily.

While I'm not African Ive gotten good at picking out an ethiopian, somalian, eritrean, and so forth. India is the same way. Of course there's many states but certain areas such as Punjab have classic looks.

Bhullar for example clearly looks Sikh. Not surprising given they are the only Indians with some natural physical presence.

Quote: (04-07-2015 09:20 PM)WalterBlack Wrote:  

Quote: (04-07-2015 09:05 PM)civpro Wrote:  

Indian as in the races from the Indian subcontinent, the rest was Middle Eastern, central Asian, western China and a tiny bit of European.

Eh, but that still doesn't answer what is Indian, what is "from the Indian subcontinent". Because everybody who's there used to not be there and from somewhere else. First the Austroasiatics, then the Dravidians, then the Aryans, then other tribes, then the Muslims, etc.

If some Central Asian Shakas (Scythians) settled in the Ganges Basin in 800 BC and assimilated into Vedic society then are they "foreign", looking back from now? It is a matter of delineation.

Quote: (04-07-2015 03:18 PM)Tuthmosis Wrote:  

'Punjabis' include a variety of ethnic sub-groups like Sikhs , Sindhis etc. If you are including the entire Indian sub-continent then you're including groups like Pashtuns , Balouchs , Kashmiris etc. Even within the country India , there are groups like Coorgis who are pretty bad-ass by any standards. You then have the Gorkhas who are on a different level all together. It's no way as cut and dried as mentioned.

I see this thread has completely deviated so i'll just add my 2 cents as an American who'se been in India for the past 3 years. The amount of misinformation you generally get is laughable and the north / south divide is a thing of the past generally held on to by Indians who have grown up in the West or Westerners themselves. In an India that is increasingly modernizing and growing at a rapid pace there are a fair number of 'fair-skinned' Indians in the southern cities like Bangalore due to migration in addition to pockets of communities in the South like Coorgis that are 'fair'. The picture shown above is laughably one sided because it compares wealthy North Indians to poor South Indians. The wealth distribution is more or less equal with cities like Bangalore , Hyderabad and Chennai undergoing serious urbanization and investment and this is a picture of well groomed South Indian girl. I know which one i'd prefer.

http://mail.alpina-watches.com/press/pag...aria_3.jpg

With respect to sports there is a lot of awareness now other than Cricket but if I had to pick a couple of sports to really thrive it would be motor sports and football (European). The NFL and MLB all set up grass root organizations which were a disaster and the sooner we Americans realize the world doesn't give a shit about our sports the better it will be. I could see the NBA gaining traction but it will be firmly behind the big 3 - Cricket , Motor sports and Euro football. There has already been a Indian F1 driver and there have been whispers about some seriously talented Indians in youth academies of European powerhouses.

To my Indian and Asian brothers , ignore the racist crap that mainstream American society seems to have cultivated. You guys went to America with nothing , didn't speak the language and rose to become the wealthiest ethnic sub-groups. To the talented Indians in India , you guys are on the front-lines of probably the biggest socio-economic change in history and if this ancient great country takes it's rightful place in the world again I'll be there drinking bhang-lassi , bursting crackers and toasting the kama-sutra with you guys.

Yeah, comparing rich North Indians to poor South Indians is unfair.

There are some hot as hell South Indian/ Sri Lankan girls out there with dark skin.

The ancient hindu kingdoms of 'aryavarta' (The aryan / hindu realm) included afghanistan, parts of persia, Nepal, Tibet, parts of China, south east asia and extended into the central asian republics like tajikistan, uzbekistan and the russian steppe etc).

This puts a different spin on what is Indian / aryan / hindu and what is not.

If we judge ethnic affiliations by the 'modern' borders that exist between countries, we end up getting some big distortions.

The point is 'Aryans' (followers of the vedas, who most people of the Indian sub continent are descended from) ranged from blue eyed folks from the caucuses all the way down to the dark skinned tamils, chatti's and cholas.

As far as Punjabi's being the 'bad asses' of India, sure they rightly deserve their place along with the Rajputs, Marathas, Pratiharas, Cholas, Vijaynagari's and Gurkha's (I'm sure I'm missing a few)

Coupled with the fact that there is a high concentration of Jatt's and Rajputs in the Punjab, that produce a physically and culturally very hardy people.