rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Health: Turmeric supplements

So, I brought a bottle of turmeric supplements today.

Turmeric is supposed to be really good for you. It has crazy anti-inflammatory properties, it can help prevent Alzheimer’s and even cancer. Turmeric can also apparently lower estrogen levels in men and help with weight loss, which is the main reason I've decided to try it.

[Image: photos.demandstudios.com%2Fgetty%2Fartic...ep_ratio=1]

Have any of you guys tried supplementing with this stuff? I’ll report back with my results in a few weeks.

Never tried it but definitely curious if it can deliver on the claims. Thanks, looking forward to your feedback on it.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

I used a little for a while back to alleviate joint pain. I didn't take it regularly enough to experience results.

I try to eat several grams every few days to reduce inflammation in the body.

I don't take it as a medicine, I cook with it. I'll be honest, I'm not a big fan of the taste but I stir-fry with it.

Key point: its a waxy substance and is not easily digested. If you cook with it, cook with a good olive oil and add pepper. Black pepper increases absorption rates by a 1000% percent. I've read that just eating normal turmeric used for cooking won't do anything as its not absorbed through the stomach. There are expensive kinds of turmeric which are more easily absorbed though if you want to take it as a medicine.

I take it for hangover, certain aches/pains. Has helped in the past with feeling down from lack of sleep.

When you guys are talking about inflammation what does that mean?

I do take it but haven't noticed? But, just one capsule every other day. The reasoning is I read great things about it.

I had horrendous acne for years, which is essentially inflammation of the body on the surface. I knew this because I kept perfect facial hygiene so it wasn't pores getting clogged or whatever other BS the doctors told me to get prescriptions for creams that cost several hundred dollars.

I actually started taking turmeric to recover from a muscle injury faster and found to my amazement that my acne also disappeared. I now pair it with neem, another anti-inflammatory and systemic purifier, each day as an anti-inflammation regimen. I'm saving thousands of dollars by not buying creams and scrubs.

Just a word of caution; taking too much can cause stomach ulcers. If that happens, stop for a week and you'll be fine. Got really confused when that happened to me for a brief spell.

Here's the brand I use. Really cheap for the amount and quality. It is not an affiliate link.
http://www.amazon.com/Turmeric-720-mg-24...ds=swanson

Quote:Quote:
Menace Wrote:
An experience is in her head and no guy can ever jizz on it.
Vaun Wrote:
Goldmund Wrote:
Music
This was used a lot when I was young and really into the underground scene. I would invite girls to come back to listen to Fugazi records.
This is the first time in recorded history that Fugazi was used to remove panties.

Basically inflammation in this case is when the body attacks itself a little too efficiently. when you get sick you sometimes get a fever and to help kill the infection. An example of this being bad is in allergies where the body thinks the food is a disease and attacks it like a disease. Turmeric should reduce this attack somewhat in theory. Turmeric helps reduce inflammation to a degree although I only take about 900 mg a day. Supposedly I need 3500 mg to get the full benefit, but it seems to help. Its very expensive in pill form locally. I might have to try that swanson next time.

I looked into buying some but couldn't find any that included black pepper. They all seemed really expensive too. I saw turmeric at the grocery store in the bulk bins for a fraction of the cost but I don't know how the quality compares. Maybe capping it and throwing in pepper myself would be worthwhile.. seems like it's mandatory to include black pepper alongside it.

Conceived to beat all odds like Las Vegas

Another way to supplement is to buy a bottle of it at the grocer and just mix it into Gulden's mustard which is already the best tasting cheap brand based on turmeric, then use it as a regular condiment. Yum!

In short, inflammation makes you feel like shit. But many people deal with poor health for so long they lose the sensitivity to realize what is inflammation and how it feels like.

Inflammation can be combatted through many different ways, turmeric is one approach that is more acute. I take a pH product as well, its not turmeric based and I drink it with water. Other suggested ways to keep your pH where it needs to be (and that place is 7.0, closest to water, not acidic and not basic) - avoid dairy. Dairy creates acidity (so does a lot of meat, but I imagine in this crowd, few want to hear that). Eat a lot of green (and other) vegetables. Strangely, a tsp of apple cider vinegar in warm water each morning, despite it being an acid, offsets acidity because of the way the body reacts to ingesting the vinegar directly. Vegetable juicing is also effective for moderating acidity in the body (aside from its other significant benefits).

pH affects your skin, your overall experience with aging (a lot of things people associate with aging are really associated with pH and acidity,such as joint pain and arthritis) and the speed at which you heal from an injury. Water pH is optimal for recovery (hence the discussion about trying to flush muscles of acidity build up from working out) and for cel growth, so there is a lot more to this then some realize.

I've referral links for most credit cards, PM me for them & thanks if you use them
Strip away judeo-christian ethics ingraining sex is dirty/bad & the idea we're taking advantage of these girls disintegrates. Once you've lost that ethical quandary (which it isn't outside religion) then they've no reason to play the victim, you've no reason to feel the rogue. The interaction is to their benefit.
Frequent Travs
Phils SZ China

GE, did you have to test your PH levels before figuring how much balancing you needed? May I ask how long you have been taking the PH product? Results have been good? Do you recommend a particular product?Thanks.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

Sam, I haven't, and I am not a good control subject because (1) I very rarely eat meat other than fish/seafood, (2) i've been on a pH lowering regimen for years, in one form or another, and (3) I didn't take the time I should have to do more than a basic screening, I just dove into it.

I take a product called ph-Pro. Its also not cheap. Its from a very well regarded supplements company (they don't use any additives at all like gelatin or stearates in their supplements). Made in US, in Austin TX by Premier Research labs.

I think any of these ways could work well - juicing (for the additional benefits) and avoiding dairy are probably the best two as an easy low-cost combo. Dairy is for infant mammals - I do eat cheese and maybe little bit of other dairy, but I keep in mind that humans are pretty much the only adult mammals which consume dairy.

I've referral links for most credit cards, PM me for them & thanks if you use them
Strip away judeo-christian ethics ingraining sex is dirty/bad & the idea we're taking advantage of these girls disintegrates. Once you've lost that ethical quandary (which it isn't outside religion) then they've no reason to play the victim, you've no reason to feel the rogue. The interaction is to their benefit.
Frequent Travs
Phils SZ China

Careful with this supplement. It can stain teeth yellow and it like to stain around the gums. It required a heavy duty power washing/dental aqua pick to get it off. Ideally you brush around the gums soon after you take it.

Quote: (02-25-2015 02:49 PM)kbell Wrote:  

Careful with this supplement. It can stain teeth yellow and it like to stain around the gums. It required a heavy duty power washing/dental aqua pick to get it off. Ideally you brush around the gums soon after you take it.

Only in powder form right? I imagine in pill it should be alright,.

They add certain spices in curry to prevent the turmeric from staining too much. I don't remember what herb that was but maybe ask at an Indian restaurant and they will know.

It was the pill form.

You are talking about Curcumin.

I use it twice daily for inflammation to aid in my recovery from doing my 5x5. The science supports that it does indeed work for inflammation. According to the link I posted above, it can also be used to increase HDL (the good cholesterol) and lower LDL (the bad cholesterol).

I use the NOW brand for most of my supplements.

Follow me on Twitter

Read my Blog: Fanghorn Forest

any update on curcumin?

is it better to take it as an extract in pill form, or raw as tumeric and black pepper?

raw would be much cheaper but I guess if you want 2-3g dose per day it would be difficult to ingest that much, especially with black pepper?

Quote: (02-23-2015 07:21 PM)Bizet Wrote:  

So, I brought a bottle of turmeric supplements today.

Turmeric is supposed to be really good for you. It has crazy anti-inflammatory properties, it can help prevent Alzheimer’s and even cancer. Turmeric can also apparently lower estrogen levels in men and help with weight loss, which is the main reason I've decided to try it.

[Image: photos.demandstudios.com%2Fgetty%2Fartic...ep_ratio=1]

Have any of you guys tried supplementing with this stuff? I’ll report back with my results in a few weeks.

I've been taking Curcumin pills for years. It's the extracted form of turmeric. And it is one of the most potent natural herbs on this earth, a lot of studies have shown how it has many great health benefits, including anti-cancer as you mentioned. It's also a natural anti-depressant too. Anyway it has 100s of uses so just google to find out more.

There is one natural herb type of supplement that actually works in terms of increasing your testosterone levels. I can honestly say that it is about 50 percent as strong as testosterone injections, steroids. That is how powerful it is, and it's a natural mineral found in the Himalayas. Google "Shilajit" and buy that stuff. I recommend the Dabur brand as I've found it to work the best and also be very cheap. Find the regular version and you can get 100 pills for like 10 dollars. It's well worth it.

Quote: (12-06-2016 02:34 PM)MrBoombastic Wrote:  

I've been taking Curcumin pills for years. It's the extracted form of turmeric. And it is one of the most potent natural herbs on this earth, a lot of studies have shown how it has many great health benefits, including anti-cancer as you mentioned. It's also a natural anti-depressant too. Anyway it has 100s of uses so just google to find out more.

is there a brand that you recommend? does it include piperine or black pepper, or do you take that separately?

Meh, unless you're an uber-athlete or deficient in some vitamin/mineral the only thing supplements cure are a fat wallet.

Turmeric/Curcumin supplements work great. I've been taking about 2,000-4,000 milligrams per day since I was hit from behind at a red light by an idiot to busy texting to look up and stop. The impact herniated the disc between my C5 & C6 vertebrae leaving me with chronic neck & back pain, muscle spasms, and tingling arms and hands. I tried the meds the doctors prescribed for a few months. Flexeril, a muscle relaxant, left me feeling groggy and constipated as hell all the time. The Voltaren, an NSAID anti-inflamatory, was so irritating to my stomach lining that it felt like swallowing a red hot coal after about 3 doses (1.5 days worth). Their treatment wasn't really helping at all and from a holistic view was making things worse.

I have had a passing interest in herbal remedies and vitamins for years so I got on Amazon and ordered a few books and started reading. That's how I found out about Turmeric. There are a lot of peer reviewed academic studies out there on the many benefits of Turmeric. The effects I was most interested in was it's effectiveness as an anti-inflammatory that rivals prescription grade NSAIDs like Voltaren without the nasty side effects of increased risk of heart attacks, cirrhosis of the liver that come with chronic use as well as nasty short term use side effects like ulcers, etc... I can tell you without a doubt that it works that way, for me. It has almost eliminated or reduced all of my symptoms to the level of minor discomfort and annoyances. I have had zero side effects from turmeric.

The stuff isn't that expensive if you shop around. I get mine at Costco for less than $25 per months supply. If you want to get your hands a little dirty you can encapsulate your own dirt cheap after getting the gear to make the capsules with. That hardware can run anywhere from about $30 - into the hundreds of dollars depending on how automated and easy you want it to be.

If you buy ready made turmeric/curcumin supplements make sure that you get one that includes black pepper aka. BioPerine. It greatly aids in the absorption of the herb into your body. I also take a garlic supplement with it as garlic greatly aids in the absorption of many substances as well. Be careful taking garlic supplements with prescription medications. You could inadvertently overdose on the prescription med because your body could absorb much more of the drug than usual when taken with garlic or black pepper. Never take any drugs or vitamins after eating grapefruit, grapefruit weight loss supplements, or calcium d-glucarate supplements. All of these substances will block your digestive system from absorbing pretty much anything else present in your gut.

Recently I discovered a new turmeric containing supplement that has greatly increased the anti-inflammatory/pain killing effects of the herb while allowing me to reduce my overall dosage. It's called Curamin. It's turmeric mixed with boswellia extract and bioperine. I take two a day along with two 750 milligram regular turmeric capsules and for the first time since my wreck I have no chronic pain in my neck. It still hurts a little from time to time especially when I do certain activities but it is nil most of the time. It's not cheap but it's cheaper than dealing with doctors, their prescriptions, and the side effects thereof.

YMMV.

Quote: (12-06-2016 04:24 PM)I_Did_That Wrote:  

Turmeric/Curcumin supplements work great. I've been taking about 2,000-4,000 milligrams per day since I was hit from behind at a red light by an idiot to busy texting to look up and stop. The impact herniated the disc between my C5 & C6 vertebrae leaving me with chronic neck & back pain, muscle spasms, and tingling arms and hands. I tried the meds the doctors prescribed for a few months. Flexeril, a muscle relaxant, left me feeling groggy and constipated as hell all the time. The Voltaren, an NSAID anti-inflamatory, was so irritating to my stomach lining that it felt like swallowing a red hot coal after about 3 doses (1.5 days worth). Their treatment wasn't really helping at all and from a holistic view was making things worse.

I have had a passing interest in herbal remedies and vitamins for years so I got on Amazon and ordered a few books and started reading. That's how I found out about Turmeric. There are a lot of peer reviewed academic studies out there on the many benefits of Turmeric. The effects I was most interested in was it's effectiveness as an anti-inflammatory that rivals prescription grade NSAIDs like Voltaren without the nasty side effects of increased risk of heart attacks, cirrhosis of the liver that come with chronic use as well as nasty short term use side effects like ulcers, etc... I can tell you without a doubt that it works that way, for me. It has almost eliminated or reduced all of my symptoms to the level of minor discomfort and annoyances. I have had zero side effects from turmeric.

The stuff isn't that expensive if you shop around. I get mine at Costco for less than $25 per months supply. If you want to get your hands a little dirty you can encapsulate your own dirt cheap after getting the gear to make the capsules with. That hardware can run anywhere from about $30 - into the hundreds of dollars depending on how automated and easy you want it to be.

If you buy ready made turmeric/curcumin supplements make sure that you get one that includes black pepper aka. BioPerine. It greatly aids in the absorption of the herb into your body. I also take a garlic supplement with it as garlic greatly aids in the absorption of many substances as well. Be careful taking garlic supplements with prescription medications. You could inadvertently overdose on the prescription med because your body could absorb much more of the drug than usual when taken with garlic or black pepper. Never take any drugs or vitamins after eating grapefruit, grapefruit weight loss supplements, or calcium d-glucarate supplements. All of these substances will block your digestive system from absorbing pretty much anything else present in your gut.

Recently I discovered a new turmeric containing supplement that has greatly increased the anti-inflammatory/pain killing effects of the herb while allowing me to reduce my overall dosage. It's called Curamin. It's turmeric mixed with boswellia extract and bioperine. I take two a day along with two 750 milligram regular turmeric capsules and for the first time since my wreck I have no chronic pain in my neck. It still hurts a little from time to time especially when I do certain activities but it is nil most of the time. It's not cheap but it's cheaper than dealing with doctors, their prescriptions, and the side effects thereof.

YMMV.

I didn't know that garlic increases the absorption rate of chemicals. I read that there was some Chinese study done and it showed that even people who smoke cigarettes cut their risk of cancer in HALF just by eating fresh garlic twice a week. As I've been eating like 10 cloves a day for a week now, my breath smells like shit but I feel a lot of energy and really healthy. Garlic is another one of the best natural herbs you can eat for good health, the trick is to find a way to avoid the smelly breath.