rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

I'm going into teaching as a profession

My plan is to start teaching at a high school, the humanities subjects such as history and society and culture, upon finishing my degree in 2 years. The pay is relatively solid from $50 000 AUS to about $85 000 AUS after 5 years experience. I know the job can be very stressful but are there any positives in your opinions to the job? Im a fairly chill, patient and funny person and think I'll get much more respect from students because I'm genuine. I've done no prac work in the classrooms as of yet and am very intimidated to when I do start but can I get some real red pill advice from you guys because I haven't really been given good advice from others.

From joker, with love

I do my best work when people don't believe in me - Michael Scott

there are loads of horny female schoolteachers in need of dick, usually the primary grades though. check the threads about female schoolteachers banging underage students

Don't shit where you eat.

I'm doing the same in the US. Trust me, the 3 months off is worth everything

Quote: (02-10-2015 09:59 AM)joker Wrote:  

My plan is to start teaching at a high school, the humanities subjects such as history and society and culture, upon finishing my degree in 2 years. The pay is relatively solid from $50 000 AUS to about $85 000 AUS after 5 years experience. I know the job can be very stressful but are there any positives in your opinions to the job? Im a fairly chill, patient and funny person and think I'll get much more respect from students because I'm genuine. I've done no prac work in the classrooms as of yet and am very intimidated to when I do start but can I get some real red pill advice from you guys because I haven't really been given good advice from others.

From joker, with love

Don't know how it is in Australia but I'm a teacher in Western Europe (at a secondary school). For me the perks are the 13 weeks of holiday a year (6 weeks in july, august, 2 weeks in december and 2 weeks in may plus some one week holidays) and the short working days. Compared to some of my friends working in business I make less money but also work 20 hours less every week. That adds up. Just today I got home at 15:00.

Being on my own, and lucky to have a cheap house and about 40.000 euro's a year in salary, I am off on big trips 2-3 times a year with some short vacations as well. Will be in Northern Thailand from 25 april - 15 may again. My salary will increase with 3-5k every year.

So despite the negative aura associated with a teaching jobs, for me the perks far outweigh them.

And yeah, do not shit where you eat.

Quote: (02-10-2015 11:04 AM)Thaitanium Wrote:  

From joker, with love

Don't know how it is in Australia but I'm a teacher in Western Europe (at a secondary school). For me the perks are the 13 weeks of holiday a year (6 weeks in july, august, 2 weeks in december and 2 weeks in may plus some one week holidays) and the short working days. Compared to some of my friends working in business I make less money but also work 20 hours less every week. That adds up. Just today I got home at 15:00.

Being on my own, and lucky to have a cheap house and about 40.000 euro's a year in salary, I am off on big trips 2-3 times a year with some short vacations as well. Will be in Northern Thailand from 25 april - 15 may again. My salary will increase with 3-5k every year.

So despite the negative aura associated with a teaching jobs, for me the perks far outweigh them.

Really? So in ten years you'll be making 80,000 euro a year as a teacher?? I don't think even Norway can afford to pay that much, but maybe I'm wrong.

"Me llaman el desaparecido
Que cuando llega ya se ha ido
Volando vengo, volando voy
Deprisa deprisa a rumbo perdido"

I studied History and Education in school.

Get yourself into a classroom now. Reading a book about how to be a good teacher: worthless. Time spent in a classroom trying to teach: priceless. I don't know what education is like in Australia but in the US there isn't much in class teaching. Get there, now. And go to more one than teacher, watch as many as possible to see how people are different.

I teach in China now and its so much better than in the USA. My students thank me for teaching them and call me mister teacher. In the USA in middle school students had knives and couldn't read.

I'm about to head to bed, but I'll give this a go in the morning. I live quite the life as a teacher.

No taxes.
No rent.
I'm free to work anywhere in the world every two years.
14 weeks off each year.

Don't attempt it unless you love children.

Quote: (02-10-2015 11:07 AM)VolandoVengoVolandoVoy Wrote:  

From joker, with love

Really? So in ten years you'll be making 80,000 euro a year as a teacher?? I don't think even Norway can afford to pay that much, but maybe I'm wrong.

You are right off course. It will increase but not by that much (made an calculation error) and it will max out. It will max out between 60-65k.

Quote: (02-10-2015 11:12 AM)MaleDefined Wrote:  

I'm about to head to bed, but I'll give this a go in the morning. I live quite the life as a teacher.

No taxes.
No rent.
I'm free to work anywhere in the world every two years.
14 weeks off each year.

Don't attempt it unless you love children.

So you work abroad somewhere right? If I would be a native speaker I would have gone to an international school long ago. A lot of perks and a great way to see the world.

Quote:Quote:

I teach spanish, english and history in high school. If you have the right mentality and you get the freedom you want from your boss it can really be a dream job.

Lots of vacation time. Few hours. I usually work about 30 hours a week. good pay. Nobody cares when I get to work or when I leave.

Spend some time in a classroom, perhaps as an assistant or as a sub. See if you like it. You might find that being "chill" is not exactly the trait most conducive to strong classroom management. How effective you are at being a boss in a classroom is basically how effective you are as a teacher. Sadly it is not about how knowledgeable you are- as it is for college professors.

You might find you like teaching english to adults much more- though it is hard to make the same kind of money or have the vacation time.

I'm an international teacher and, while it has enabled me to bang women in different countries and get over a long dry spell I had in the US, I am not sure I have found my passion.

I heard the kids in China are great though. Great kids + good money is a good equation. Bad kids will make you miserable. I just recommend you spend some time in the classroom working in some capacity to see if it is for you before you invest a lot of time/money into it. Especially when you can get a CELTA in just one month, and then be marketable to teach English just about anywhere you could want. If you can fill your schedule with private lessons (as opposed to being whored out by a language institute) you can do just as well as an international school teacher, money-wise.

From joker, with love

Pros:

1. Good pay.

2. In the US, strong unions--I have a friend who works in a inner city district that has alot of gang violence (MS-13) and poor test scores. He still gets 75k annually. With an MA he can max out at 120K just for showing up.

3. You don't need to write actual lessons/tests. You can buy them or find free online and adapt them to your class.

4. Your may differ but tenure makes you harder to fire and gives you a boost in salary.

5. Student's subsconciously respect male teachers more than women. I had students that lady teachers told me were troublesome that were polite/affable to me. Also if its like the US, there are few men in the humanities so males may get prioritized in hiring.

Advice: I'd suggest you find a teacher who will let you shadow them. Preferrably someone you respect. You pick up alot of intangible things.

Quote: (08-18-2016 12:05 PM)dicknixon72 Wrote:  
...and nothing quite surprises me anymore. If I looked out my showroom window and saw a fully-nude woman force-fucking an alligator with a strap-on while snorting xanex on the roof of her rental car with her three children locked inside with the windows rolled up, I wouldn't be entirely amazed.

Advice from somebody who's about to leave academia.
- punishment (penalties) must be swift and certain. most commonly late work, plagiarism, bullshit answers, etc.
- start tough and mellow down towards the end of the year (the other way does not work) and the kids feel like they've earned it
- offer only one extra credit opportunity at the end of the year, so the students have a reason to work hard the whole time
- quiz often on the reading material. I include the chapter number at the end of every question in case of "it's not in the book"
- it's easy to be fair and prove fairness if the names are not on the assignments (I use random country codes instead of names)
- grading is the most boring, soul crushing thing you will have to do (keep half the questions as true false and multiple choice)
- it helps to write down your entire lecture (the talking part), even if you're not going to read anything in class
- don't pretend to be anything you're not or claim to know something you don't, authenticity beats expertise every time
- get ready for a bunch of students to stare at their crotches (texting, facebooking, redditing, imguring) and smiling for no reason
- don't skip the gym, especially if the school has one
- max out your retirement matching, especially if the union has negotiated a good one

I've always kicked around the idea of teaching as a fallback. I come from some pretty humble roots so it's always a thought to go back someday. Realistically, if the allure of life in the big city chasing chicks and money gets old I would strongly consider it. Sure you aren't making bank, but the vacation and short hours would be worth it to me. I would go home and work on my hotrod cars everyday, maybe do some writing.

Plus I feel like if you were jacked nobody would really give you much hassle. I had a history teacher in high school. His name was Mr.Pain. No joke. He was fucking huge too. He ended up marrying the hottest teacher in the school, some young blonde broad. Nobody dared to fuck with him.

I also think being around kids would keep a guy feeling young for a long time. Can any teachers chime in one that?

Quote: (02-10-2015 11:11 AM)ball dont lie Wrote:  

I teach in China now and its so much better than in the USA. My students thank me for teaching them and call me mister teacher. In the USA in middle school students had knives and couldn't read.

I have always tought teaching is a decent option if it is a good school, the schools where i grew up were lawless shitholes with careless students who carried knifes (i though that was a very third world usual shit, it's surprising that you found that in the US but not China). I also have met really cool teachers who love their jobs.

The payment seems decent.
I'm curious about how much academia requeriments do you need to teach in secondary school?
How is the market in Europe at least? most of the people here talked about english and humanities, so i can imagine a lot of people with humanities degrees trying to get into teaching.

I am convinced that teaching is an old person's job. All that free time is super boring and lonely for a younger guy with no wife, kids, or pets. Yes, you have lots of time to travel, but assume that you are traveling alone and staying at hostels filled with young students in their gap year. Very unlikely that your teacher buddies will want to take a road trip coast to coast. Regular people with regular jobs can't afford to spend a month fucking around at some remote destination, drinking coffee and reading books. The only thing on their mind is max bang for their measly two-week vacation buck. So if they travel, they want to go fast, hard, and expensive.

Teaching gets repetitive, which is a curse and a blessing. The first time you teach a course, you have to work hard to develop the material. Every year after that you teach the same shit over and over again. Easy to do, but not something to look forward to.

In case you think about teaching different subjects to broaden your horizons, good luck trying to convince your chair (that's what they call politics/cliques). If he has been there for a while, he's got his 6 (usually easiest/best enrolled/most interesting/least amount of grading) courses on lockdown and so does everyone else who joined/tenured before you. So your only options are teaching some exotic electives that nobody ever wants to take (risk a course getting cancelled) or your bread and butter courses for which you were hired in the first place (you can do it in your sleep, but the shit you teach is at least 10 years old and boring).

I know you're thinking you can spice things up and add new, cutting edge concepts into your course. Ha! Half your class is going to fail and your chair will blame you for fucking with the curriculum, outcomes, accreditation. Status quo is the name of the game, unfortunately. Everybody knows that the educational system is a machine and the cogs need to turn to spit out cookie-cutter "experts" with huge debts and no practical skills.

Once in a while you will meet a truly bright student that works hard for the sake of learning, not grades, and takes interest in your subject despite all the bullshit. That kind of dedication must be rewarded. Work with them individually on some side projects, extra homework, or whatever. Get to know them and write an amazing letter of recommendation. This is the least you can do to help them out in the future. Both of you will treasure that experience for the rest of your lives.

My plan is to stick it out in the industry for 10 years or so, save enough money for retirement, and then go back to teaching when I no longer need to work for money (community school, more service, less research). In other words, I think teaching is meant for an experienced, older person, without a care in the world, and a ton of free time to share their wisdom.

If I had to do over again I would definitely consider (here in the U.S.)

Very well paid
Time off +++
Pension
Gov't backed security
Feel like an alpha er' day
Smarter than 99% of the people you're around

Downside: I would probably tease and flirt with some 16-18 year olds. Being a teacher that wouldn't get me fired (what does?), but I'd get a bad rep.

“Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate.”

Quote: (02-10-2015 11:25 PM)Dat ass Wrote:  

Quote: (02-10-2015 11:11 AM)ball dont lie Wrote:  

I have always tought teaching is a decent option if it is a good school, the schools where i grew up were lawless shitholes with careless students who carried knifes (i though that was a very third world usual shit, it's surprising that you found that in the US but not China). I also have met really cool teachers who love their jobs.

The payment seems decent.
I'm curious about how much academia requeriments do you need to teach in secondary school?
How is the market in Europe at least? most of the people here talked about english and humanities, so i can imagine a lot of people with humanities degrees trying to get into teaching.

If you wish to teach in a secondary school you need to have a degree to teach a subject. I have a history degree wich makes me certified to teach history at any secondary school. You can get an english degree to teach english, a german degree to teach german, a math degree to teach math etc. It's a four year higher education course to be certified to teach one certain field. I also did a Master in special educational needs. It's a two year master but took the accelerated course so passed in one, it basicly gives you some extra weight when dealing with kids who have learning disabilities (ADD or ADHD and so on). I am currently doing another bachelor degree, which will make me certified to teach Dutch language at a secondary school. Because I already have another degree it will take me two years instead of four and the government is paying for it because they want teachers to improve. I am already teaching Dutch language without the degree, basicly i am teaching more then I am (officially) certified for but that happens all the time.

In the next few years there will be a big shortage of teachers in certain degrees, especially the Dutch language and tougher ones like Math or Science. A lot of teachers reaching pension age in the next few years. Means a lot of openings at primary and secondary schools.

Quote: (02-11-2015 10:27 AM)one-two Wrote:  

I am convinced that teaching is an old person's job. All that free time is super boring and lonely for a younger guy with no wife, kids, or pets. Yes, you have lots of time to travel, but assume that you are traveling alone and staying at hostels filled with young students in their gap year. Very unlikely that your teacher buddies will want to take a road trip coast to coast. Regular people with regular jobs can't afford to spend a month fucking around at some remote destination, drinking coffee and reading books. The only thing on their mind is max bang for their measly two-week vacation buck. So if they travel, they want to go fast, hard, and expensive.

Teaching gets repetitive, which is a curse and a blessing. The first time you teach a course, you have to work hard to develop the material. Every year after that you teach the same shit over and over again. Easy to do, but not something to look forward to.

In case you think about teaching different subjects to broaden your horizons, good luck trying to convince your chair (that's what they call politics/cliques). If he has been there for a while, he's got his 6 (usually easiest/best enrolled/most interesting/least amount of grading) courses on lockdown and so does everyone else who joined/tenured before you. So your only options are teaching some exotic electives that nobody ever wants to take (risk a course getting cancelled) or your bread and butter courses for which you were hired in the first place (you can do it in your sleep, but the shit you teach is at least 10 years old and boring).

I know you're thinking you can spice things up and add new, cutting edge concepts into your course. Ha! Half your class is going to fail and your chair will blame you for fucking with the curriculum, outcomes, accreditation. Status quo is the name of the game, unfortunately. Everybody knows that the educational system is a machine and the cogs need to turn to spit out cookie-cutter "experts" with huge debts and no practical skills.

Once in a while you will meet a truly bright student that works hard for the sake of learning, not grades, and takes interest in your subject despite all the bullshit. That kind of dedication must be rewarded. Work with them individually on some side projects, extra homework, or whatever. Get to know them and write an amazing letter of recommendation. This is the least you can do to help them out in the future. Both of you will treasure that experience for the rest of your lives.

My plan is to stick it out in the industry for 10 years or so, save enough money for retirement, and then go back to teaching when I no longer need to work for money (community school, more service, less research). In other words, I think teaching is meant for an experienced, older person, without a care in the world, and a ton of free time to share their wisdom.

You sound a bit harsh to me. I don't know about you but why would all that free time be super boring when single? I think it's one of the greatest plusses of my job. I can go to the gym or do anything I want, it's great. And about the travel part, I actually enjoy travelling alone a lot. Meeting new people everywhere and I am certainly not staying in hostels and such. I spent 6 weeks in Yunnan, China and Thailand last summer, it was awesome.

I guess you can be right about having a bad chair but I have no problems in that field, a great boss, a good director and a very strong contract being a teacher over here. Basicly I can fuck up everything and it might take 3 years before i get fired. The position of teachers is very strong here. Not that I want to fuck up off course..

I think your post is a bit negative but thats your view. I like my time off, find stuff to occupy it and love to travel on my own (and occasionally with friends). No problems here.

Quote: (02-11-2015 10:27 AM)one-two Wrote:  

Based on your previous post in this thread and this one, it seems like your experience in teaching has been a bit jaded. Do you care to share more detail in the type of environments you taught in that perhaps lead you to some of these conclusions?

"Those who cannot do, team. Those who cannot teach, teach gym"

That being said, I think as far as jobs go it's not bad to be a teacher. Decent hours, okay pay, and paid vacations. I personally think people who are only being teachers just for the sake of having a "stable" job should not be allowed to teach. It's best for people who genuinely care about teaching people have have a passion for it (which is not many people). I used to work as a substitute teacher in NYC, and lots of the teachers I met were young women in their 20's/30's who only were doing it because they needed a job. They didn't give a shit one way or another about education. These types of teachers, males too, are part of the reason the U.S. is failing as a country. The education system here is so fucked, a large reason being that the majority of teachers don't really care about teaching.

Based on your previous post in this thread and this one, it seems like your experience in teaching has been a bit jaded. Do you care to share more detail in the type of environments you taught in that perhaps lead you to some of these conclusions?

What travolta said.

I guess I burned out, but it took me three years longer than the girl that started with me. We both were fresh out of school teaching software engineering. She quit to do regular programming in Silicon Valley after the first year (almost double the money and normal work hours).

Terrible boss was a big influence too. He made me pass failing students, admitted people who can't read or write, didn't bother to read my annual report, and concluded that 50% of my students don't like my teaching methods in a sample of two (2). The only good thing he did for me was suggesting I get out of teaching before I get stuck here.

But I guess my biggest problem with teaching is that it was not my idea to do it. The only good reason to teach is if you really see yourself doing it for the rest of your life, or whatever is left of it. My dad always sold it to me as this paradise job and pushed me to do it my whole life. Now that I've put it my notice, I feel so much better about taking control of my career, even if future prospects don't look so bright.

Quote: (02-12-2015 02:56 PM)travolta Wrote:  

That being said, I think as far as jobs go it's not bad to be a teacher. Decent hours, okay pay, and paid vacations. I personally think people who are only being teachers just for the sake of having a "stable" job should not be allowed to teach. It's best for people who genuinely care about teaching people have have a passion for it (which is not many people). I used to work as a substitute teacher in NYC, and lots of the teachers I met were young women in their 20's/30's who only were doing it because they needed a job. They didn't give a shit one way or another about education. These types of teachers, males too, are part of the reason the U.S. is failing as a country. The education system here is so fucked, a large reason being that the majority of teachers don't really care about teaching.

Well could you blame them? Teaching in NYC sucks and most subs and new teachers are forced to go into the ghetto. Also most of the parents in the inner city don't help their kids to succeed. Lets not forget the pettiness in the teachers room.

Putting the inexperienced in the hardest places isn't too smart. In any case it wasn't for me( 2 yrs in elementary) so I went LEO route but the vacation is great.

Not sure why someone here would say teaching sucks because they get too much vacation. They could always work summer school.

My pops taught me " since most people hate work after a few years it is best to do a job where you show up less".

In the old days they got paid shit but in the big union cities they do good financially but it is slow to get to top salary.

HUH? PUBLIC SCHOOL?

In elementary ed they can use any teacher for gym .So of course the union rep or kiss ass old timer gets that position. Same with the computer class, which means AC.

Elementary ed is nepotism!

I also did a Master in special educational needs. It's a two year master but took the accelerated course so passed in one, it basicly gives you some extra weight when dealing with kids who have learning disabilities (ADD or ADHD and so on).

We had a joke; special ed is 10 disturbed kids and regular ed is 32 disturbed kids. In the inner city you might as well teach Special Ed and have 10 kids instead of 30+.

Quote: (02-12-2015 06:43 PM)jimukr104 Wrote:  

We had a joke; special ed is 10 disturbed kids and regular ed is 32 disturbed kids. In the inner city you might as well teach Special Ed and have 10 kids instead of 30+.

True on that. I actually teach in regular education. More and more kids get labeled here so basicly every class has some 'disturbed' kids in them, also because of government cuts in true special educational classes. This means we at the regular side get more and more of these kids. At my part of the school we usually get about 80 first year kids. That means two classes of about 24 'regular' kids and two classes of about 16 'special' kids.

Still, it's interesting, fun and at the same time a challenge.

My sister though teaches at an elementary school, which is true hard work with less pay, longer days and classes with 32-34 kids. Would never want to do that.