rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Moved Abroad thread - how you did it, and why

Since I'm in the process of expatriating, I wanted to make a condensed thread for those that have done it to come in and share their experiences and also help out us wannabe's.

Many of us want to escape the west for a happier life abroad, but what was it about your chosen destination that convinced you to set out for a new life there? Perhaps you've moved to the west and have a different perspective on the Anglosphere than those of us that are from here.

Was it just for the women? Maybe it was for career or just a much needed change.
What about culture, language, food, friends, finances, finding something meaningful to do with your time once you've settled in?
Do you have any regrets? Do you ever see yourself returning back to your homeland?

Culture:
What was the integration process like? How long did it take you to/ How far along are you to learn the language?

Friends:
Have you made friends with locals or do you mainly chill with other expats?

Women:
Have you just fucked around and acquired notches or have you gotten into an LTR or perhaps married to a lady in your new country? What was this process like and how is this going for you now? Children? Maybe you've even purchased a home for yourself or your family.

Food:
Do you enjoy the local cuisine or do you miss food from home? How is your health and fitness holding up? Dentistry, Optometry, minor surgeries, etc., is healthcare expensive or more reasonable than home?

Finances:
Have you settled into a career or found a way to make a good living? Have you created a location independent or passive stream of revenue to live on or maybe you're struggling to make ends meet?

Essentials for starting out:
For someone like myself and where I'm at in the process (less than a year away now): what did you initially take with you? What did you ship to your new destination in addition to your luggage? How much $$$ did you save before leaving?

I realize there is a ton of existing content already on the forum but I'm aiming for a thread that contains as much information for permanently living outside of the Anglosphere: Eastern Europe, South America, Asia & Southeast Asia, etc. Maybe you've already written on this, could you link to that post or perhaps expand on it here?

Thanks all

two scoops
two genders
two terms

Good thread...

I'm more of a wanderer than a true expat. But I left the U.S two years ago, and haven't looked back.

Basically, in my last year in uni, I realized how disillusioned I was with the U.S on every front.

After graduating, I landed in Europe with $2500 to my name. Initially, I worked odd jobs and taught English, before moving into online freelancing.

It hasn't been easy. I've been dead broke at times, depressed, lonely,etc..

But I'm living the good life in SEA now. I'm quite happy here but the grass is always greener. I still have yet to find that place where all the stars align.

If you're looking to start a new life somewhere, be prepared for the possibility that the place you've "mapped out" might not be for you.

Also, in the wisdom of hindsight...

-I would have brought at least $10K

-Had some way of generating income before leaving

-Brought a winter wardrobe with me (clothes are cheap in the U.S)

-Enrolled in a masters program (in my target destination). Though formal education is practically worthless from an employment perspective, the automatic social circle it grants you is priceless. When you're a stranger in a strange land, the old adage, "It's not what you know, but who you know" is more valid than ever.

deleted.

Good thread.

For me, I saved a bunch the summer before, then studied abroad. In the end, what I saved was not sustainable, and I had to move home.

My goal is to make a permanent move out of the States possible. In the end, if one wants it bad enough, they will make it happen.

I moved to from the U.S. to Bavaria a few months ago. I moved for several reasons but mainly because I never lived outside the U.S and never experienced another culture. Yes, of course.....just like Roosh, I was sick of American women...pretty much everything he rants about DC is why I moved.

Language....I took a couple German classes before I left but I'm far from fluent. Luckily everyone at my work speaks English. I was lucky that there are a lot of job here in my career (PM if you need more advice).

Transition to life....yes, of course its difficult when you move to a brand new country. It will take some time to get into a social circle and make friends. You might even get depressed a little the first few months. I was very very very luck though. I met and fell in love with this wonderful Polish girl the 2nd week I was here and I made a lot of friend through her (even though we broke up now). If you are a naturally social person then you shouldn't have trouble making friends....but as long as you move to a country where most people speak good English.

Food....of course its better here than American plastic, processed shit. Just look at the people here. They all have proper facial bone development (very few recessed jaws and chins) and the girls are not fat...most of them at least.

The funniest thing I have to say was that I had horrible success with American women....as Roosh did, and my parents and friends gave me the same BS spiel of "Women are the same everywhere....blah blah blah". Yet ironically, the first two weeks I moved here, I met tons of girls and as I mentioned, fell in love with an amazing girl. [Image: idea.gif]

The best advice I would give you is listen to your heart. If you feel like you don't want to live in the West and feel like there is some underlying urge to do it, then do it. You will regret it later in life if you don't. PM me if you have any questions.

Around 5 years ago I began traveling outside the US. My first real vacation was 1 month in Thailand. After that I started visiting Costa Rica multiple times and began looking to buy a home there. In the end I settled on Medellin as my Winter home and am currently in the process of finding the right location and buying a home in Europe. My plan is to spend 5 months a year in Medellin during the winter, 5 months spring and summer in my home in Europe and 2 months a year on the beaches in Asia.

I have had a business for the past 14 years in SW Florida manufacturing metal and set up a good organization that I felt could operate without me or just controlling banking and working online in communication with office and my customers on a daily basis a few hours a day. 4 years ago I left for 6 months then 7 then 8 and now it doesn't look like Ill be back in Florida this year.

It was nerve racking leaving the business to the employees but I have a great guy in charge and in the end I think we have actually done better in some ways since I left. When I was there I was always in sales and didn't pay attention to customer service. Now that Im working in my office I can do all the detailed work that stressed me out after hard day of sales. I think leaving actually made the company stronger longterm.

I spoke Spanish from spending a year in Mexico at the age of 18 so there was very little language barrier moving to South America however from people I have met who dont speak the language there experience was much different than mine. Because of my Spanish I can date a wide range of different types of Colombian girls from the poorest area to the most wealthy however I have found dating from the middle class neighborhoods I tend to find the best companionship.

Food wise I always enjoyed rice and beans staples so never had a problem even though Colombian food can be considered the most bland in the Americas. The Paisas of Medellin can not tolerate anything spicy.

As far as friends go I have several good Colombian friends I hang out with but the majority of time is spent with dating and having mini relationships. I have met many expats here in Colombia but dont do the group activities that available here.

Meeting Women in Colombia is very easy for me. I assume mainly because of my Spanish ability. I date a lot. Sometimes 10 dates a week. Maybe 5 are first dates. Of the 5 I may want to see or bang 1 or 2 and the others I wouldn't be interested in. Banging is easiest when you let the Women know what you want by being aggressive IMO. I have had Women tell me they appreciate me showing my interest physically because some men dont and it confuses them. I have gotten all my first date bangs by escalating in the bar, talking dirty and then offering a taxi to there house and dropping me off first asking them to come upstairs and then escalate again. For people that say its not possible here in Colombia I can honestly say if they simply change there style slightly it will produce huge results

Essentials for starting out probably would simply be nice cloths. You may struggle to find what you like and feel comfortable in overseas so that seems like a good start. everything else can be more expensive or cheaper depending of the product but making that transition the easiest and least stressful is probably the best idea

I first move abroad to learn english and thus be able to move abroad more.

I then went abroad mostly during college through semesters abroad or just travel with friends or alone.

I enjoy going abroad because it makes you going out your comfort zone, break your routine and meet a ton of more people than if you stay in your hometown.

I am quickly bored of things in general, so moving abroad makes me feel I am experimenting something new, I like my country but when I am there I always fall in the same routine.

Now that I am graduated, my plan is to get a job abroad as an expat or just go directly in one country and try to get a job there.

Quote: (02-06-2015 12:48 AM)NomadofEU Wrote:  

Many of us want to escape the west for a happier life abroad, but what was it about your chosen destination that convinced you to set out for a new life there?

For me it wasn't any of the common manosphere / rvf themes (decline of west, cultural marxism, feminism, etc) that brought me to Brazil (though I did prefer Brazilian to American women). In my case I was looking for personal and professional challenges and to take myself out of my comfort zone. I chose Brazil because it had a fast growing economy (though not so much lately), it was a huge market with endless economic opportunities, I spoke rudimentary Spanish so I was confident I could learn Portuguese, it has an interesting and dynamic culture that wasn’t so far from US culture that I’d feel lost or out of place, and of course the girls.

Quote:NomadofEU Wrote:  

Do you have any regrets? Do you ever see yourself returning back to your homeland?

No regrets. Yes, I think I will move back to the US eventually. I actually started a thread on this exact topic.

Culture:
What was the integration process like? How long did it take you to/ How far along are you to learn the language?

Integration was pretty easy. Brazil is not that different from the US culturally, they are very warm to outsiders, and have a positive outlook on the US. I was conversational in Portuguese after about 6 months (I studied several months before I came here, and knew some Spanish), and have improved from there. It took about 2 years for me to consider myself fluent. I still make grammatical mistakes, and I can’t always find the word I want to use, but after nearly 3.5 years I’m very comfortable with the language.

Friends:

This has been a bit hard for me. Plenty of acquaintances and people I can have a beer with, but I don’t consider anyone here a true friend the way I do my boys back home.

Women:
Have you just fucked around and acquired notches or have you gotten into an LTR or perhaps married to a lady in your new country? What was this process like and how is this going for you now? Children? Maybe you've even purchased a home for yourself or your family.

Stayed single the first year I was here, lots of good times. After that I fell into a LTR, and was recently married.

Food:
Do you enjoy the local cuisine or do you miss food from home? How is your health and fitness holding up? Dentistry, Optometry, minor surgeries, etc., is healthcare expensive or more reasonable than home?

The cuisine is not that different from home. The thing I miss is the variety of quality, inexpensive, ethnic food that you can get in any major city in the US. São Paulo has a fair amount to offer, but it’s more expensive and not as good as what I could get at home. On the plus side, much less processed food, all kinds of fresh fruits you’ve never heard of, food in the grocery store is less expensive and as a result I’ve been eating in a lot more than I used to. Overall I’d say I’m slightly more fit than when I got here, but no major difference (fitness and diet were always part of my lifestyle).

Finances:
Have you settled into a career or found a way to make a good living? Have you created a location independent or passive stream of revenue to live on or maybe you're struggling to make ends meet?

I lined up a job before I came here through networking. I took a huge salary hit (~80%) for an opportunity to move abroad and work for a small entrepreneurial company in my field of choice. I’m earning much more now but still less than what I made in the US.

Essentials for starting out:
For someone like myself and where I'm at in the process (less than a year away now): what did you initially take with you? What did you ship to your new destination in addition to your luggage? How much $$$ did you save before leaving?

I sold all my shit except for a box of stuff that is in my brothers garage and the 2 suitcases I came here with. I had a decent savings cushion but also liabilities in the US that I couldn’t cut immediately.

My parting words: If you’ve got the itch to move abroad, do it. You’ll never grow personally without taking risks. Living abroad is not the panacea that some people make it out to be. Fact of the matter life in most developing countries is harder. In Brazil you need to be in the top 10% income wise to have a lifestyle equivalent to the 50th percentile of the US. However if you’re smart and resourceful you’ll find a way to make it work out. Worst case you go back home with some interesting life experiences.

At eighteen I left Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates where my parents worked at the Embassy of the Dominican Republic. That summer I arrived in London to attend the University of London's graduation ceremony (I was a student through their International Programmes) and from there I travelled to a few European countries I was interested in visiting. After a few weeks, I enlisted in the French Foreign Legion but after three weeks they gave me my rejection letter.

With an absolute lack of options I turned to whatever bit of game I had at the time and moved to the Shakespeare & Company book-store for a week. While there I realised hippie girls with European citizenship are not interested in marrying would-be immigrants.

The time I could legally spend in the EU was running out so I made a border-run to Kosovo; Serbian authorities wouldn't like it but that wasn't my priority at the time. I stayed there for eighty-eight days and then left for France once again.

Having no possibilities of success in France I moved on to Barcelona where I had been born. Alas, Spain is not America and the sons of foreigners don't typically get citizenship; they only get facilitated naturalisation if they somehow manage to stay in Spain. Fortunately, in Barcelona I managed to find a desperate Nordic girl approaching thirty; nothing more than a six in looks (face was a seven which had possibly been an eight in her prime but her body was as flat and squared as a fridge) but her passport did the job.

By that time, my father had mailed over all the necessary documents to prove I was unmarried. It took me about seven weeks to get through all the bureaucratic process but in the end I managed to get it done. After sending documents to her country we managed to get it registered there.

Once again, I had to leave the Schengen Area and went to Croatia, Montenegro and finally Kosovo largely-due to their lax visa requirements. Upon my return to Spain I received a letter from the Office of Foreigners ordering me to go to the police station. Five weeks later I was a Spanish resident.

All this time I had lived-off my income from micro-niches and subsidies from my parents but once I moved permanently to Spain I managed to obtain an internship and then a permanent position in the financial sector. [I don't wish to get overly specific]

A year after getting my residency card I applied for citizenship which was granted after about nine months (which is decent as far as Spanish bureaucracy goes) and then I moved to the UK since the pay was better and my job was not safe amidst the economic turmoil.

About three years ago, I realised a country from which a direct ancestor of mine came from had enacted a lenient nationality law which allowed me to claim citizenship. Needless to say, I did and I currently hold citizenship in three countries; two EU member-states and the Dominican Republic. [PM me if you want more information]

Many of us want to escape the west for a happier life abroad, but what was it about your chosen destination that convinced you to set out for a new life there?
My legal status in the UAE depended on that of parents and I was already eighteen. Unless I managed to find a job there I would've been forced to return to the DR. Sure, I like spending a few weeks there but it gets tiresome. I chose Spain because of the language and the fact that I would be able to get citizenship after a short while.

I do have some regrets. I should have gone to Spain immediately without wasting my time in France but I go it done in the end. Furthermore, I arrived in Europe without a plan; anyone seeking to move abroad should have a plan. Yes, things won't work-out exactly as planned but it does give one tranquillity and it tells you more or less which path to follow.
No, I don't think I'll ever move to the Dominican Republic permanently; I might spend the winter there in the future but I don't see myself outside of Europe for the time being.

Integration was very easy for me at least. In the UK it was a bit harder since my country's culture is heavily-influenced by Spanish culture but not at all by the British one. I already spoke Spanish but my Catalan reached a reasonable level. However, now that I don't speak it very often it has descended into Cataloñol. As for the UK, I already spoke English too.

In both Spain and the UK my friends have mostly been natives which I met at work. I have a few Dominican friends in Barcelona but overall I don't sympathise with the majority of Dominican expats in the world; many have given us a bad reputation around the globe.

During my visa runs I did acquire various flags (but not the Croatian, Kosovan (or Serbian depending on your opinion) or Montenegrin) but in Spain I mostly concentrated on the financial part of my life.
I married but out of convenience and I am currently in an LTR but not with a Briton. It's certainly easier than in the UAE although I haven't tried my luck in the DR; I'll have to check-out how that goes one of these days. No, I don't have any children nor have I purchased a home.

I got a job in the financial sector after going acquiring my residency card. I've had a location-independent mini-business since I was sixteen (chiefly micro-niches) and the revenue from that combined with my investments allows me to live a comfortable life. Yes, London is expensive but I quite like it here, I'm in a beneficial LTR, et cetera.

I adore Spanish cuisine and British cuisine is acceptable. Yes, I do miss my country's food and I particularly enjoy my mum's cooking but I can cook a bastardised version of it without too much difficulty.
I'm reasonably-fit; my health and fitness hasn't changed much over the years. As for healthcare, I pay for it through my taxes; quite a reasonable system if you ask me.

I took whatever the airline's baggage allowance would allow! Mostly clothes, my computer, and important documents. After settling permanently in Spain I visited my parents and brought back most of my clothes; I had no furniture or household items of my own so there was nothing to ship or sell before leaving. I saved €8,000 but in the end I spent around €17,000 due to unplanned travel costs, fees and in general the lack of a plan.

Oh yes, I'm so privileged you literally can't even.
Interested in joining the FFL? I tried (and failed).

Moved to the south of France about 3 years ago for a fully-funded Masters program. Traveled across Europe on short trips while based in Paris and finally moved to Germany for work. The travel has gone down and the work has gone up, but so has the bankroll. The lifestyle is still good.

I moved both for cultural experiences and professional growth. I just instinctively knew I didn't want to end up in the US. It probably had something to do with nasal accents and the excessive use of "like" in normal English sentences.