rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

London/Amsterdam/Prague questions

So im visiting that area for about 7 or 8 days and i was wondering how much time you think i should spend in each place.

i was thinking 2/3 days amsterdam and 5 days in london but my friend im traveling with is trying to convince me to do only 3 days in london so we can do 2 days in prague

This is my first time leaving the country in 15 years so i thought i would ask you traveling experts where my time should be spent while im over there

Thank You in advance

Too many places in such a short space of time.
London and Amsterdam or London and Prague, split the time in half.
The big question is what are you looking to do?

Our New Blog:

http://www.repstylez.com

sight see
party at night
visit must place spots that are recommended in peoples data sheets

basically try to see as much as possible in the 8 days i have there

If you only have 7 days there's no point in going to three cities. You'll lose the guts of 2 whole days traveling from London > Amsterdam and Amsterdam > Prague, leaving you with only 5 full days to explore split between 3 cities. The flight time is short but bear in mind the early checkout, getting to/from the airports in each city and clearing security/immigration, the flight itself, having to find your hotel, check-in etc - it'll eat most of the day.

You'd be far better off just doing 2 of the cities. I'd skip Amsterdam, its very touristy and not a particularly nice city. Prague is beautiful, has cheap drink, and shouldn't be too riddled with English stag parties at this time of year. London (along with NYC) can be argued to be a world capitol city, with immense amounts of things to both see and do. It can be a bit large and overwhelming but its 100% somewhere everyone should spend at least a few days in their life.

Quote: (02-05-2015 01:32 PM)zatara Wrote:  

If you only have 7 days there's no point in going to three cities. You'll lose the guts of 2 whole days traveling from London > Amsterdam and Amsterdam > Prague, leaving you with only 5 full days to explore split between 3 cities. The flight time is short but bear in mind the early checkout, getting to/from the airports in each city and clearing security/immigration, the flight itself, having to find your hotel, check-in etc - it'll eat most of the day.

You'd be far better off just doing 2 of the cities. I'd skip Amsterdam, its very touristy and not a particularly nice city. Prague is beautiful, has cheap drink, and shouldn't be too riddled with English stag parties at this time of year. London (along with NYC) can be argued to be a world capitol city, with immense amounts of things to both see and do. It can be a bit large and overwhelming but its 100% somewhere everyone should spend at least a few days in their life.

thanks

London and Amsterdam are cool to spend a couple days in and the gtfo as they're both very much part of the Anglosphere and don't really feel like being abroad to me (everyone speaks English and Mickey D's on every corner).

I'd say spend as much time in Czech Republic as you can, if you get bored then take a train up to Poland for a couple days

two scoops
two genders
two terms

If you want to party, don't go to Amsterdam other than friday and saturday. Other days the nightlife is dead. Don't go to regular clubs, try finding parties. Because, anyone can get in to the clubs but the party crowd is selected by the bouncers at the door. They block the sleazy men, sleazy girls, and men in large groups, so you have a 50-50% male/female ratio inside. Just dress well and if you have friends with you, split up. Once you get in, you will have a selection of gorgeous girls from all over the world.

I went to a party organized in Escape (http://www.escape.nl/), and had a blast. I made out with a Colombian girl and a Russian girl on the same night, and met a lovely Egyptian girl but cockblocked by her sister. I screwed up all prospects at the end of the night because I got too drunk. Don't make the mistake I made, stay reasonably sober.

I go to London to see family and shop, apart from that I wouldn't recommend it because it is expensive.
There is a reason certain places are popular on this forum, it's because they are cheaper and you get more bang for your buck.

Our New Blog:

If you spend just a couple of days in each place its going to feel very rushed and youll leave feeling like there was so much more to see or do.

Been to all 3, Key is what month? AMS is amazing and peaceful during the warmer months. Nice place to enjoy life, beautiful buildings. London is pretty much new York lifestyle. Prague is old and historic but logistics for getting around work against you if short on time due to being old and historic.

Quote: (02-06-2015 11:18 AM)chyamor Wrote:  

Been to all 3, Key is what month? AMS is amazing and peaceful during the warmer months. Nice place to enjoy life, beautiful buildings. London is pretty much new York lifestyle. Prague is old and historic but logistics for getting around work against you if short on time due to being old and historic.

Im going in May

i know someone studying abroad in london so i dont need to pay for a hotel while im there

7-8 days over 3 places isnt really doable. About 2.5 days per spot not counting the downtime getting from airport to hotel, waiting for trains/buses, standing in line, etc etc

Thrown in maybe a bad weather day and your screwed. I would do a London/Paris via eurostar or London/AMS.

so basically what im getting from this thread is definitely do 4 days in london and then go to one other country for 3/4 days....i just got to decide which one

I've been to all 3 and I'd say visit all 3. All 3 are really cool cities. London is more like NYC - if you spend 3 days there you wont see everything. Amsterdam and Prague are much smaller and you will see most of the cities in 2 days. Traveling from London to Amsterdam is like 3 hours so it wont kill a whole day, and flying Prague to Amsterdam isnt a long flight. That being said if you are trying to see the city dont stay out until 4am chasing pussy and then sleep all day, be home by 1 or so, up at 9 and make the most of your time there.

Seeing all three is a bad idea, you will lose days in travelling between cities.
You only have basically a week, don't forget to factor the days you arrive and leave.
I did a similar trip last September, I took a side trip to Stockholm which is "only" 2 hours away by flight. The trouble is I had to get up 3 in the morning, take a bus to Stansted Airport to catch an early morning flight. By the time I got to the hotel in Stockholm and was able to check-in it was 3 in the afternoon.
If you have a place to stay and a buddy in London, I say spend most of the time there. Loads of places you can check out and a week is not a enough time.
Amsterdam is cool, but it is famous for weed and ladies in the windows. Both of which I am not into.
Prague is an awesome city too, the party reports as of late are saying it is a cock-fest. Unless you know where to go and what nights, being there on a weeknight isn't going to be a lot of fun.

Our New Blog:

I agree with people saying just two places in that short amount of time. You lose days to travel between them as well. I'm Dutch myself and some good things have been said in this thread about it. Party wise it depends on the day to come... Thursday, Friday, Saturday are good, other days less. It is indeed famous for weed and ladies in the windows but especially the ladies in windows part is very very small and has been getting downgraded by the Amsterdam government. It's not that interesting anyway, just a thing every tourist goes to because he wants to see it, nothing special too see.

If you know the right places to go, Amsterdam can be fun, but like said before, it depends which time of year you are going. Right now it's pretty cold and I personally think Dutch cities are better starting spring and summer time, all the cafe's open outside areas and everybody is out and about. Now everybody is indoor. I think Prague is a better winter city, and London is, while crazy expensive, truly a cool city.

The ultimate rookie travel mistake is to try to fit tons of cities on a short itinerary. If you care at all about getting flags as well, this is a bad idea. Do London-Prague.