rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Washington Heights New York

Thoughts on buying or renting an apartment in Washington Heights?

The cost of buying is of course lower than the rest of Manhattan. This is one of the last parts of Manhattan that isn't insanely expensive to buy in. The rents of course are less expensive. Logistics aren't exactly like the Village, but they work for me doing the reverse commute to NJ.

From an investment standpoint, there could be a lot of growth. Living wise, I imagine I would be spending a lot of time in taxis and the subway heading to downtown.

This neighborhood has come along way. It was a mess the first time I saw it in the 90s. I have seen neighborhoods in New York come along way like certain parts of BK. I know people who made investments in such areas before they were hot spots. I am interested in the opinions of guys who have lived in NYC for awhile or who have experience buying here.

Vaun and Clint Barton, your thoughts would be appreciated.

It's relatively safe to live and the "don't go above 125th street" is slowly expanding. Having said that, I think it'll take a while before this 125 line reaches, say, 170. However, I'd pick Washington heights above queens or (most parts of) Brooklyn any time.

Line 1 - 3 run straight through manhattan. Subway shouldn't take too long ..

Quote: (02-02-2015 07:30 AM)Aaron- Wrote:  

It's relatively safe to live and the "don't go above 125th street" is slowly expanding. Having said that, I think it'll take a while before this 125 line reaches, say, 170. However, I'd pick Washington heights above queens or (most parts of) Brooklyn any time.

Line 1 - 3 run straight through manhattan. Subway shouldn't take too long ..

Don't go above 125 street was the rule of thumb when I was at Columbia. I witnessed Morningside Heights become safer and a better Neighborhood right on the boarder of 125.

I few of my friends are from there so I spent a good amount of time in that neighborhood over the years.

Cabrini Green is a part of the heights and its really nice, but its also really expensive. Its also a conclave for Hasedic Jewish families who live there and tend to not move their cars when they get parking unless necessary so finding parking is hard in general. Also its really hilly so you should have a pair of good boots for when it snows because it will be slippery.

Lastly the majority of WH is not a "nice" neighborhood in the summer time. WH is where a lot of the drugs enter the city to be distributed to the other 5 boroughs. In the summer you will see more crack heads there than anywhere else in the city and you will see blatant drug sales. However, if you mind your business and keep a low profile no one should bother you due to the police presence in the neighborhood. Also I hope you like bachata and reaggaeton, because there is a good chance you will be hearing it all the time.