rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Please Help Me Start Boxing.

I'm 38, not in good shape - (skinny fat) - living on Long Island.

What equipment should I get?

How much should dues at a boxing gym cost?

How long should I be practicing drills before I should spar?

And, lastly, if you live on Long Island, could you either: (a) suggest a gym, or (b) invite me to go with you?

Thanks in advance. [Image: smile.gif]

Search the weightlifting and fitness section there are some good threads there. Some of your questions are answered there. Best of luck, really a great sport.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

Get a boxing bag, or just join any gym.

The first gym you join doesn't matter. it's just for a month anyway. No reason you can't switch gyms after a month to something more appropriate.

If you're just getting started though perhaps those boxing cardio classes they have at UFC and Everlast chain gyms are a good start then you can start getting more into the real thing after a couple months of just getting a feel for the gloves and hitting the bags.

Are you just trying to get in shape, or do you want to spar or eventually get a fight?

If you're just trying to get in shape, you can go to any chain gym like LA Boxing or Title Gym, they'll let you hit the bags and do a cardio workout, but you won't spar.

If you want to spar and fight you'll have to find an actual boxing gym (or maybe a YMCA), which are getting harder and harder to come by. Lucky for you, a quick Google search pulls up 5 or 6 gyms on the island.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=box...ong+island

I'm looking to spar eventually, but I never thought of switching gyms. Makes perfect sense. Thanks. [Image: smile.gif]

Same deal. What you see in your area is going to serve you better than any internet advice you get.

Most gyms will allow you to take a free class or two. Buy yourself a kit of cheap equipment(for your first set cheap mouthgard, wraps, and gloves from Walmart are more than sufficient) and swing by every gym in your area before you make a decision. When you go to each gym pay particular attention to the skill and shape of the veteran students. What you're looking for is to see that the gym can get results for the people who stick with it.

Use the search function, a lot of this has been covered already.

I would join a boxing gym. I did that up here in the Pacific Northwest. Some boxing gyms are more like cardio gyms; if you're interested in actually learning how to box, I'd suggest looking for a gym that specifically trains boxing skills -- check reviews on Yelp, etc. I joined a legit boxing gym. When you join, often you get the use of the gym in hours where you're not taking lessons, so you can drop by regularly and work the heavy bag, speed bag, etc.

One way to go is to take group or private lessons. I took half hour private lessons. Amazed at how much technique there is with boxing. There are mainly only 6 punches (rt/left - jab, cross, uppercut) but endless combinations, as well as footwork, dodges, block, block/jab. Getting in the ring is a trip. I still remember getting hit in the face for the first time; this from someone who works a desk job. It stunned me. After a while, you get used to it. A thrill to move in the ring and set up shots. Other times, my instructor would wear a fat-suit like thing where I could hit him in different locations.

You should get 180" wraps and learn to wrap your hands to protect from damaging your wrist and fingers. Get a good pair of gloves, esp. with support for your thumb. If you're not going to take lessons, there are a number of YouTube videos that are very good at how to throw punches, snap your arm back after punching, stance. The videos were basically doing the same thing as my instructor. Learn how to use your trunk rotation for power, snap your wrist on the jab, 1-2 combo -- basic stuff. The lessons I paid for were private 30 minutes for $30/each. I did at least 6 a month and got free use of the gym the rest of the week.

You'll get more out of boxing if you're in good shape. When outside the ring, work on your cardio, leg strength, and core training. You may want to invest some time in this before you begin boxing.

If you're looking to do lessons, it helps to get a good instructor. Check Yelp reviews, ask the front-desk if you're looking for someone intense, or easy-going etc. Or just wander around the gym while checking it out and see how different instructors teach. We had one instructor who was a peg-leg with a eye patch on one eye- total asshole, everyone quit his lessons within a matter of weeks. We had another guy who fought professional, good record, fought Mayweather (lost, naturally), but experienced and a solid coach. They'll start you off with basic jab technique, then cross, doing 1-2 combos, dodge/parry, footwork then they'll usually do some sparring or get you in the ring.

I suffered an injury (unrelated to boxing) and haven't been able to go for a while. Miss it. Definitely felt like Fight Club, and always couldn't wait to leave the sterile office for the physicality and adrenalin of the ring.