rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Lost Art of Archery - Danish Bowman with Mindblowing Skills

Holy shit, check this guy out.

[Image: mindblown3.gif]

The dedication and practice it took him to get to this level leaves me awestruck.The video also contains some interesting facts about historical archery.

That is extremely impressive, mastery at its finest. Would like to know how many hours he has spent perfecting his craft.

He even makes Legolas look like a pussy.

That is pretty amazing. Incoming arrow split is really remarkable.

Coolest part of the video was the chopper-drive-by

Only 99% badass.

He's missing the Robin Hood attire, the getup of a true archer.
[Image: Robinhood_web.jpg]

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5iubykP8IvW1uHe0dica...LV8vwDIwKy]

Bet he makes the bitches quiver with those moves.

You're welcome.

"The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilised community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others...in the part which merely concerns himself, his independence is, of right, absolute." - John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Reminds me of the mongols. Badass.

If a modern guy can do this in 10 years, I shudder to think what an ancient archer who lives entire life with the bow could do...

Guess that's how the mongols conquered half the world. Also, must suck dick to be a crusader fighting against saracen.

On the subject, can anyone with historical background sheds some info on who were the most skilled archers in history? Samurai (contrary to popular beliefs, they are horse archers and not swordmen) , mongols, egyptians, syrians?

Ass or cash, nobody rides for free - WestIndiArchie

Now it feels really gay to watch Arrow after watching that immortal display of badassery.

This is a great video. Thanks for sharing this, Flint.

It also demonstrates something that we often forget. We're often used to thinking of these old weapons like swords, sabres, armor, bows, arrows, and halberds as cumbersome and quaint.

They were anything but this.

If we were transported back in time to witness a medieval battle, for example, we would be shocked at how easily the combatants were able to use their heavy swords and how their armor was not as clumsy as we might think.

These guys spent their entire lives perfecting their skills.

Same thing applies in ancient armies. Chariots in the ancient Near East were like tanks of today. Archers mounted on Assyrian chariots could cut swathes through enemy ranks in ways that people would not believe.

Parthian archers were greatly feared by the Romans.

And when the Mongol horse-mounted bowmen appeared in Eastern Europe in the 13th century, they were truly unstoppable.

Much of ancient knowledge has been lost.

This applies in warfare as much as in the mental disciplines.

[Image: attachment.jpg24289]   

Great post.

Here's another example of a misconception proven false, in terms of knights ability to move in their armor:

How can someone physically split an incoming arrow? I'm having hard time to believe its legitimacy.

That was great to watch.

Hard work and practice for 10 years.
Learning from the best (ancient archers) for 10 years

That is how you become a master yourself. Imagine if more people spent 10 years crafting their skills instead of wasting their lives away watching TV or posting pictures to instagram.

Not happening. - redbeard in regards to ETH flippening BTC

Quote: (01-24-2015 04:04 PM)Dalaran1991 Wrote:  

If a modern guy can do this in 10 years, I shudder to think what an ancient archer who lives entire life with the bow could do...

The stories were even the lowest ranking horseman who grew up on the steppe could shoot a bird out of the sky and some could do it on horseback. Being able to ride at full gallop forward and shoot backwards accurately is a trick shot in itself. Being able to do that coordinated as a unit is what made Mongols conquerors.

Quote:Quote:

On the subject, can anyone with historical background sheds some info on who were the most skilled archers in history? mongols

Mongols by far were the best I think. Then probably other steppe/nomad groups.

This clip reaffirmed my belief that you can master anything within 10 years (some will say 10,000 hours is enough).

Quote: (01-24-2015 07:51 PM)El Chinito loco Wrote:  

Wouldn't doubt that but can anyone go into details why they were the best?

I get the whole idea of being born and live as a hunter, your survival depends on the bow. But hunting alone wouldn't require you to have the kind of mastery like that shown in the video, and I bet mongolian archers were much more badass.

I mean, think about it, why would you need to learn to ride at full gallop and shoot 5 arrows in under 1 sec? What you being chased by a pack of panthers? A lot of the techniques in the video, like fast-shooting and shooting while moving and arrow catching are very battle-field oriented, not something that a hunter would need.

Then again there's a lot of tribal warfares between the nomad people, but those were never full scale and largely skirmishes. It wouldn't require a hunter to develop his skills with the bow into a fine art of deadly weaponry. If one was to become a warrior archer and his life depended on it like the samurai or English retinue longbowman, then I could understand why they would need to fine tune techniques with the bows.

Finally, the Scythians were fucking badass group of steppe nomad, but if I remembered correctly they got ass kicked by the romans. Why?

Ass or cash, nobody rides for free - WestIndiArchie

This is a manly discussion.

Our elders approve

WIA

Quote: (01-24-2015 08:16 PM)Dalaran1991 Wrote:  

Wouldn't doubt that but can anyone go into details why they were the best?

I mean, think about it, why would you need to learn to ride at full gallop and shoot 5 arrows in under 1 sec? What you being chased by a pack of panthers? A lot of the techniques in the video, like fast-shooting and shooting while moving and arrow catching are very battle-field oriented, not something that a hunter would need.

The steppe is pretty wide open and it's very necessary to learn how to hunt from horseback. It's not like a region covered with dense forests where hunting is more about stealth and camping out for game. There are few places to hide so you have to be faster on horseback and quicker with your bow than the game (or enemy.)

So imagine you grow up on the steppe and as soon as you're strong enough you're given a little bow to practice with. Drawing and shooting becomes conditioned motor reflex at an early age. They probably don't even need to think about aiming either it's all reflex. Look at how scary some little kids are with the guitar. Now imagine a little kid learning bow skills from 4 years old onwards. Kids absorb things fast too so it won't be long until they're a skilled prodigy with a bow.

While they're learning basic bow skills they also grew up riding on a steppe pony. The two skills naturally entwine when they learn to hunt.

Now when they are of age 15+ (? maybe younger) they probably get involved in a lot of intercine warfare and steppe battles with outside nomads which could be quite brutal. Rival steppe groups from far away would try to kidnap women and steal when they could. The Mongols were almost always surrounded by enemies as well. Basic Mongol warfare didn't just develop because of Genghis.

In addition while they are perfecting bow warfare they also learn how to live off the land at an early age. I believe the traditional way was the men hunted and brought animals back home for the women to skin, clean, and prepare. The women also knew how to forage and build shelters (yurts.) So little kids knew everything about survival skills..what plants to eat, what bark is edible when times were tough, how to skin and cook game. How to live in harsh unforgiving weather.

This created tough motherfuckers. The steppe will naturally claim the lives of pussies.

Now imagine a modern special forces type soldier goes to specialized school and has to train hard to get to a level of proficiency at this sort of survival. The Mongols grew up with all this.

Quote:Quote:

Finally, the Scythians were fucking badass group of steppe nomad, but if I remembered correctly they got ass kicked by the romans. Why?

Romans were masters at logistics and they had a huge pool of capable professional class soldiers and mercenaries to pull from. Plus on a coordinated level they were just very difficult to beat. Once a Roman legion was able to entrench and fortify while bringing in their logistics train they could wear down even the biggest badasses. Scythians were still a fairly static civilization. They weren't nearly as mobile or adaptable as the Mongols were either.

Then probably other steppe/nomad groups.

What is meant by steppe?

Quote: (01-24-2015 09:00 PM)GeroMeroHero Wrote:  

Then probably other steppe/nomad groups.

What is meant by steppe?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steppe

It's a geographical environment which was historically known to produce certain types of nomads/tribes with superior skillsets in horsemanship and bow warfare.

This environment as a tool to shape the warrior and culture was very important.

Incredibly impressive. I'm getting my bow and arrow hunting permit next month. Can't wait

Quote: (01-24-2015 10:19 PM)Dark Knowledge Wrote:  

Incredibly impressive. I'm getting my bow and arrow hunting permit next month. Can't wait

^You can just say "bowhunting".

[Image: bow1.jpg]

Per Ardua Ad Astra | "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum"

Cobra and I did some awesome podcasts with awesome fellow members.

I've dabbled a little in traditional bow building. I noticed in the vid his more complex shots (fast, moving) are a mongol convex style recurve. Considered of all traditional bows the fastest, most powerful, and above all, energy efficient. Look at modern compounds...basically same design

Saw this earlier today, that guy is amazing!

“Only a fool learns from his own mistakes. The wise man learns from the mistakes of others.”-Otto von Bismarck

Quote: (01-24-2015 04:30 PM)LeBeau Wrote:  

Great post.

Here's another example of a misconception proven false, in terms of knights ability to move in their armor:

The part where he is doing jumping jacks in full plate armor is amazing! Incredible stuff.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before