rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Heartburn Remedies

Heartburn Remedies

Out of nowhere I started getting heartburn recently. It started a couple times after I ate a big meal around 11pm. Obviously eating late at night is one factor that can cause heartburn, so I'm trying to cut that out.

I decided to go paleo for a while, after reading that inflamation and gas from digesting grains can cause it, and I got it after eating meals with rice or pasta.

It continued however, until I just recently drank some coconut milk, which seemed to knock it out completely.

What other kinds of remedies do you guys have for heartburn? Or foods to avoid? I am very willing to experiment with my diet to see what works for me.

Heartburn Remedies

Experimenting with your diet will help. Take your time and be patient.

If it disrupts your sleep, put two pillows under you so acid goes down.

Do more cardio. Stay active. Avoid acidic foods (tomatoes, coffee, beer, etc.).

Find what the cause is, and stop it. Pharmaceutical companies will have you taking their pills for the rest of your life. Don't give in.

Experiment with ACV. Some find it helps, some don't.

Take TUMS if you have to, but try not to become dependent on them.

Heartburn Remedies

Quit drinking alcohol, if you are.

And have you tried any probiotics recently? In my personal experience I've found that antibiotic usage can contribute to heartburn. Probiotics can help reverse that.

"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar, De Bello Gallico, Book III, Ch. 18

Heartburn Remedies

Yeah Alcohol is gone from my diet for now.

Coffee, I had some this morning and had heartburn, so maybe I should switch to tea.

I have been going to the gym like 5 days out of 7 the last few weeks.

I am an ACV believer and had some with lunch in water.

I have not been on antibiotics, but probiotics is worth trying for sure.

Heartburn Remedies

Quote: (01-23-2015 02:00 PM)Sonsowey Wrote:  

Coffee, I had some this morning and had heartburn, so maybe I should switch to tea.

I forgot to mention coffee. Coffee was giving me heartburn so what I did was add some hot water to my cup (about 1/4), then pour the coffee in to dilute it. Coffee hasn't given me heartburn since and I still get a good amount of caffeine from it. It also helps if you eat something before drinking it.

I think the maniacs at work make it way too strong.

"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar, De Bello Gallico, Book III, Ch. 18

Heartburn Remedies

Buy some mastic gum. It kills H. Pylori which causes heartburn.

Heartburn Remedies

After I had bad food poisoning in SE Asia + partying to hard, I started to suffer from heartburn.

I've found 'baking soda' to be the best remedy. Half a teaspoon every 2 hours. Only takes 5-10 mins to kick in. All the stuff over the counter did fuck all for me.

Stand up straight and put your hands on the back of your head to lift your torso helps. When I had very bad heartburn, walking helped!

I use to dropped some pain killers and take some baking soda while waiting for the pain killers to kick in.

No food 3-4 hours before bed. Try to have a light meal and nothing to heavy for your last meal of the day.

It takes some time to heal so no big meals, junk food, spicy food or citrus or the bloody heartburn will erupt.

Heartburn Remedies

I used to suffer from heartburn quite badly but I've got it under control now just through being sensible with my diet and cutting my alcohol intake right back. Too much alcohol, especially spirits brings it on, as does takeaway food. As with anything prevention is better than cure and good diet goes a long way with this. If you do have an episode milk or dry bread can help.

Lying on your left side can help if in bed, I'm not entirely sure why, I was told this closes off the valve from which the acid escapes but I couldn't say for sure, however it works.

I believe some people are pre-disposed to getting it as my dad suffered from it all his life, his diet was poor.

It's not something that should be lightly dismissed if you suffer from it regularly because other than being pretty damn uncomfortable it can cause scarring of the gullet which can lead to cancer later in life. Get it under control!

Heartburn Remedies

Sometimes heartburn can be caused by too little stomach acid. The results in the food taking longer to digest, so some of it ferments and the gas forces the acid upwards. I took 2 HCL betaine capsules for 6 months and it reduced my mild heartburn to nothing.

http://chriskresser.com/get-rid-of-heart...ple-steps/

Heartburn Remedies

Quote: (04-11-2016 06:19 AM)muscless Wrote:  

After I had bad food poisoning in SE Asia + partying to hard, I started to suffer from heartburn.

I've found 'baking soda' to be the best remedy. Half a teaspoon every 2 hours. Only takes 5-10 mins to kick in. All the stuff over the counter did fuck all for me.

Stand up straight and put your hands on the back of your head to lift your torso helps. When I had very bad heartburn, walking helped!

I use to dropped some pain killers and take some baking soda while waiting for the pain killers to kick in.

No food 3-4 hours before bed. Try to have a light meal and nothing to heavy for your last meal of the day.

It takes some time to heal so no big meals, junk food, spicy food or citrus or the bloody heartburn will erupt.

This dude (muscless) has the right idea.

Glass of water + 2 or 3 tablespoons full of baking soda (I just pour it into the glass straight from the box) and you will be feeling right as rain in no time flat.

Plus there are a lot of health benefits to drinking Baking Soda, so - double bonus!

Heartburn Remedies

sorry. double posted. delete.

Heartburn Remedies

Some things you mentioned yourself:

- eat earlier and less at night.
- less protein for supper. yes it conflicts with many weight-loss recommendations
- white wine can be really bad, other drinks as well. especially if you lying in bed and not sitting at a table.
- if you are overweight, lose weight.
- put your head higher while sleeping is recommended, but might be uncomfy
- don't use baking soda!! it neutralizes the acid, then your stomach will produce even more.
- never heard about C. Kessler's suggestion but seems worth a try.
- there are so called proton pump inhibitors available OTC now at least in Europe (sounds nasty, but it isn't and typically just turns it off) , these help https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proton-pump_inhibitor . Not sure about the brand names in US though.

if all this fails on the long term better, see a doctor to find out the underlying cause of course.

get well soon!

Quote: (01-23-2015 01:16 PM)Sonsowey Wrote:  

Out of nowhere I started getting heartburn recently.

Heartburn Remedies

Sleep on your left side.

Take a couple Tums -- they really work, and over time they are not good for you which is motivation to stop needing them in the first place.

Ultimate solution: never eat until you are "full". Note that it takes 15 or 20 minutes to register fullness.

I've tried eating healthier, eating less before sleep and earlier, and that helps, but having way fewer "belly-patting" meals has been the best solution for me. For perspective, I was probably overeating even for my size at every meal, to the point where a "light" meal was still heavy.

My main suspicions about foods triggering heartburn were bread/grease/tomato-sauce/pasta/pizza.

After getting used to just pushing away, ordering less, and eating less frequently, the only food that still gets me Every Time is pizza. Even really good pizza from deep in BK or QNS. Even if it's lunch, only one slice.

Heartburn Remedies

Aloe Vera water is the bomb! Take 20-50 ml 20 minutes before your meal.

You can feel it numb your throat and stomach which is also great for your health. I bought mine with Wheatgrass which is a superfoods.

http://www.aussiehealthproducts.com.au/m...500ml-x-12

Heartburn Remedies

Quote: (04-14-2016 03:43 PM)ChokingHazard Wrote:  

- there are so called proton pump inhibitors available OTC now at least in Europe (sounds nasty, but it isn't and typically just turns it off) , these help https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proton-pump_inhibitor . Not sure about the brand names in US though.

if all this fails on the long term better, see a doctor to find out the underlying cause of course.

get well soon!

Out of nowhere I started getting heartburn recently.

PPI are a Fucking joke!! They neutralise your stomach acid so your food takes forever to digest so you go to bed and you will have the worst heartburn. I found it took 6-10 hours for my food to digest instead of a normal 1-3 hours.

These so many bad stories about PPI (and anything a western doctor suggest), google heartburn natural remedies. They all advise to stay away from it where the acid is suppose to neutralise stomach bacteria. Little acid (PPI) leads to overgrowth of stomach bacteria and cancer (50% from one article I read for being on PPI long term). Don't forget the stomach problems you have cause your stomach isn't balance due to lack of stomach acid.

I went to see an Eastern Chinese Herbal doctor and he said the same thing. He said no more fatty foods or take away and I have to eat healthy until it heals. He gave me some herbal tea to drink twice a day which stopped my heartburn. I'm taking Aloe Vera water (20-50 ml 20 minutes before meals) now cause the herbal tea is pricey.

Take a note of what you eat that gives you heartburn and google [food heartburn]. Spices also trigger heartburn so I had to take them out of my meals.

Just be careful with Western doctors, they are salesmen for the drug companies. It's best to google and run through your own list of natural remedies. Remember our body is designed to heal itself! All the booze, smoking and toxic food fucks it up hence why people complain about health problems. I personally recommend organic food if your body regularly fucks you around. You are what you eat!

Rate me if you have found my info useful!

Heartburn Remedies

One of the most important things as well is to elevate your bed by 15-20cm.

Though heartburn triggers can vary from person to person, certain food and drinks are more prone to allowing stomach acid to splash up into your esophagus, including:
  • Meats. Ground beef, marbled sirloin, chicken nugget-style, and chicken/buffalo wings.
  • Fats, Oils & Sweets. Chocolate, regular corn and potato chips, high-fat butter cookies, brownies, doughnuts, creamy and oily salad dressings, spicy food, chocolate, fried or fatty food in general.
  • Fruits, Vegetables & Juice. Orange juice, lemon, lemonade, grapefruit juice, cranberry juice, tomato, mashed potatoes, French fries, raw onion, potato salad.
  • Other Beverages. soft drink, liquor, wine, coffee, caffeine, and tea.
  • Grains. Macaroni and cheese, spaghetti with marinara sauce.
  • Dairy. Sour cream, milk shake, ice cream, regular cottage cheese.
Foods and beverages like these contribute to heartburn (and the more serious GERD) by lessening the effectiveness of the LES to keep stomach contents in the stomach. Smoking also plays a large role, and carbonated beverages should be added to the list as they can put pressure on the stomach, forcing stomach acid back up into the esophagus.

Avoid the foods and beverages above -- and eat smaller meals -- and you may decrease the amount of reflux from your stomach into the esophagus.

Yet changing what you eat isn't the only way to avoid the horrors of heartburn, there are simple lifestyle changes you can make as well.
  • High-fat foods. Choose low-fat options when you eat out and you'll avoid one of the prime triggers for heartburn -- fatty foods.
  • Huge portions. Eating too much can increase stomach pressure, causing acidic stomach contents to splash back into the esophagus. When you eat out, avoid big portions or take half your meal home.
Simple changes in diet and lifestyle can yield big heartburn relief. That's why it's a good idea to take the time to track your triggers, avoid the foods that irritate your heartburn, and make a few behavioral changes -- and reap the relief that follows.

Heartburn Remedies

I'm using this thread as a future reference.

I haven't had heartburn for a month where I did a big abs workout on Saturday that had me in the worst pain for 24+ hours so I went to hospital. Doctor said my abs workout flamed my heartburn. It was the muscle (rectum abdomens) that was on fire which inflamed my heartburn. All the stuff listed above, didn't ease the pain. Doc put me on morphine [Image: smile.gif] had fun chatting up the nurses on Sunday [Image: biggrin.gif] 1 huge fat feminist nurse yelling out that she can't cook and that she would get a maid to cook for her before she ever would!

So take note NO ABS WORKOUTS guys if you have heartburn. I also notice little pain when standing with a bar and you have to suppose your abs to keep your trunk up and balance. It's flamed my heartburn in the past. I would suggest to sit down and do your exercises at the gym to keep the pressure off your abs. For now I'm taking a week off so my fucking body can heal.

Heartburn Remedies

An important one.

Heartburn Remedies

Quote: (05-10-2016 08:34 AM)Nineteen84 Wrote:  

An important one.

Didn't think anyone on this forum was fat but good point! Heartburn is a huge problem with fat people due to to pressure on their stomach pushing food back up their esophagus.

Heartburn Remedies

The stuff from the doctors makes your heartburn 10x worst! Just like muscless said it's all true!

I had heartburn for about a year (on and off) where I tried everything! I did some serious research online to find the cure. Heartburn really fucks with your life!

If you NEVER want to suffer from heartburn again take "Apple Cider Vinegar." 1 tablespoon with 250ml of water, 20 minutes before eating or when you feel your heartburn erupting.

Apple Cider Vinegar is also great for digestion and cures some diseases I hear.

Heartburn Remedies

To add a couple of different ideas:

I've had mild heartburn on and off for the last few years, runs in the family.

I've been eating a mostly vegetarian/vegan diet for the last 6 months, which helped. However to get all the calories I need the volume of food is pretty big. That would sometimes occasion episodes of heartburn aswell.

Lately I've been experimenting more with principles from Ayurvedic medicine and the Gracie Diet, and heartburn episodes have been reduced drastically.

The Gracie diet principles are not restrictive on what to eat but mostly how the foods are combined - it doesn't matter if you are gluten-free, paleo, vegetarian. According to their theory combining the right foods can optimize digestion. It's been bashed for lack of scientific comprovation but I've been finding it to work despite overeating to bulk up and I know of many other people with success stories.

[Image: Gracie_Diet1.gif]

A regular lunch could be:
- Eggs, avocado, rice
- Lentils, carrots, caulliflower
- Hummus, broccoli, roasted pumpkin

As far as Ayurvedic medicine goes, you should try to understand what the doshas are and what your composition is.

This can be quite complex and I'm starting to delve into it, so I won't go into detail, it's best to research individually.

However the goal is to always try to balance out your doshas through your diet.

If you are prone to stress, irritability, have a very demanding job, always under pressure, you should probably avoid foods that are stimulant or increase body heat: spicy food, peppers, cinnamon. Very hot food (like a soup) can also "accelerate" your metabolism - it would be preferable to have it after it has cooled down.

On the other hand someone who deals with laziness, lack of desire or motivation and sluggishness could profit from the foods above as they increase your alertness and metabolism.

It's all about finding what works for you. There is no perfect food. If you can't digest it correctly, even the most amazing superfoods or whatever the hell is in fad now will actually be detrimental.

Heartburn Remedies

Great advise!!

Buy a 'wedge pillow' if you want to heal from heartburn! I found for about a month after doing all above, my heartburn would flare up when I slept. Now I take my wedge pillow everywhere if i'm going to drink/smoke and I haven't had a bad case of heartburn since I purchased one!

Heartburn Remedies

Out of nowhere I started getting heartburn recently. It started a couple times after I ate a big meal around 11pm. Obviously eating late at night is one factor that can cause heartburn, so I'm trying to cut that out.

I decided to go paleo for a while, after reading that inflamation and gas from digesting grains can cause it, and I got it after eating meals with rice or pasta.

It continued however, until I just recently drank some coconut milk, which seemed to knock it out completely.

What other kinds of remedies do you guys have for heartburn? Or foods to avoid? I am very willing to experiment with my diet to see what works for me.

I personally find 150mgs of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranitidine to be very effective. As I suffer from GI issues when I take NSAIDs, on the occasions when I take an NSAID--typically ibuprofen, to help with DOMS after an unusually hard workout--I also take 150mgs of ranitidine, which helps considerably.

Heartburn Remedies

I'm on a low carb diet, doing leangains. If I eat too many starches, I will get heartburn. And then whiskey will make it worse.
As soon as I throttle down the starches, heartburn will go away. Whiskey will again make life good.

I am afraid that women appreciate cruelty, downright cruelty, more than anything else. They have wonderfully primitive instincts. We have emancipated them, but they remain slaves looking for their masters all the same. They love being dominated.
--Oscar Wilde

Heartburn Remedies

A quick remedy I learned from my grandfather who suffered from GI tract issues and heartburn all his life:

Fill a glass with about 2/3 of room temperature water.
Add 1-2 tablespoons of white vinegar.
Stand over the sink to avoid spill mess.
Quickly drop a teaspoon of baking soda and mix it up as fast as you can and then chug.

It'll give you mad burps, but heartburn will be gone within few minutes at most.

Worthy to note that I myself had severe cases of heartburn quite often since I was a teenager, sometimes so bad I'd wake up in the middle of the night gasping for air. Even since I cleaned up my diet (currently on Keto) I have not had heartburn for 9 months now even when I eat super spicy food (I think I've had heartburn once after a night of drinking alcohol).

In today's world "I think therefore I am" has been replaced with "I'm offended therefore shut up."