rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How to Dress in NYC

How to Dress in NYC

I’ve done some searches to see the general fashion advice out there on the boards, but I’m moving from the Midwest to NYC this summer, so I need to make sure my wardrobe game is top shelf for Big City game. I’m short guy and usually go for a more fitted look.

I’ll be in Hong Kong in next month, so I’ll likely stock up on customs suits and button down shirts over there. If anyone can show me some pics of what I should be telling these guys to make, that’d be a big help.

But where I’m stuck though, is shoes.

I remember gmanifesto was sweating Prada loafers while back. Is that still what’s up? I hear Ferragamo thrown around a lot. Is that legit? What other kicks should I be looking at?

Also ties. I admit tie game is one of my weaker points.

How to Dress in NYC

Tod's loafers

How to Dress in NYC

In Hong Kong, get custom shirts and suits at either Ascot Chang or W.W. Chan.

How to Dress in NYC

nice shoes, nice jeans, button down shirts or blazers. I always wear a pair of basic/black ALDO shoes. No sneakers and you'll be fine. ALDO also sells nice accessories for cheap (necklaces, rings, etc).
Uniqlo is a GREAT place to get jeans. It's cheap as fuck and good quality. They fit well too. There's only 1 location in America it's on Broadway in Soho. Uniqlo is all over Korea and Japan.
Nice shirts. I usually just wear some shit from H&M. There's a place on route 4 in Paramus NJ called CENTURY 21.. they sell outdated styles (outdated meaning styles from last season) for cheap. They sell everything there. It may be worth it to take a trip there if you're moving to NYC. They might have one in NYC too, i don't know though.
If you have a cool t-shirt to wear just throw a blazer over it and you'll be fine to get in anywhere. You gotta look good to get into high end venues (and have hot girls and be friends with a promoter), but don't think about it too much.
Have fun in NYC.. best city in the world

How to Dress in NYC

I hope you enjoy your time in New York City -

If you are asking for pictures of what you would want the tailors to make - you have not gotten out of the starting gate yet, so to speak. The color or stripe pattern of the suit will depend on your skin tone and hair color to a large extent. You also do not need a formal suit for everything - a really high end blazer with a pair of expensive slacks, collared shirt and shoes will work as well as a suit in any many venues. That is usaully the most formal you will see anyone dressed anywhere in NYC - or if you are skinny, change the blazer for a buttoned vest and tie.

I buy most of my labels 'off the back of a truck' or from a grey market source, or even on ebay usually from Canadian sellers but I visit a high-end men's label store 2 times a year and spend some money - I see the same saleswoman, a knowledgable milf, every time (in her late 40's); I have her business card and usually talk to her for awhile after. You need to find someone like that who can suggest a blazer/shirt color combo for you - who will suggest different product lines. You may have to drop 1k per visit, but you will learn the label's product line for the year and just learn about clothes over the hour or so you spend in the store. At the beginning at least - you need to see this stuff on you. At least get an idea before you goto Hong Kong - I would love to go there BTW.

As far as dressing in NYC - its a mixed bag in terms of either the venue is all douchbags, all Hipsters, all douchesters (ala G Manifesto's terminology), or just wierd looking. The current high end nightlife fad are high end/selective door cocktail lounges - its the same formula as a lot of the high end nightclubs on the West side of Manhattan - a lot of which have closed or are 'remodeling' While expensively suited down I have never been refused entry anywhere in Manhattan - I didn't have to grease a palm, and, if anyone, I was going in with Mrs. Kirk, (who admittedly helps except that time she got puked on by the baby on the way out the door). Any decent suit and looking comfortable when you approach the door and 90% of the time you'll get in.

If I had an expensive blazer going on into a place with a younger hipster crowd in tight jeans - You do get treated better in general - faster bar service, etc.

As far as ties - I have become partial to Ricci Italian ties - the silk is out of this world. I have yet to try Kiton or Borrelli. I have French ties, Hermes and Charvet for work or day gatherings. Shoes - I don't see to many Italian loafers in Manhattan, the ground is too rough.

If you make any suit mistake - its wearing a business suit out anywhere in Manhattan when you are purposefully going out, or any suit from Men's Warehouse, etc. - then you are chilling out after work as opposed to going out for the night.

I hope you post about your NYC nights here when you start.