rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Christmas ham

Christmas ham

After many failed attempts, I finally figured out how to cook a juicy ham hock for Christmas:

- Choose a pre-cooked ham hock that is sealed in brine
- Use a fowl baking pan (the kind that has the suspension cradle for chickens, turkeys, goose, or ducks)
- Make a shallow tub from a single sheet of large tin foil in the bottom of the cradle. Make sure it doesn't have any holes.
- Pour the brine from the ham package into the foil
- Place the ham hock, cut side down, into the foil pool
- Cover the rest of the ham with foil. Try to completely seal it off so the brine can't steam off while baking.
- Bake in the oven at 325 degrees for 10 minutes for each pound, i.e. an 11 pound ham for 110 minutes
- Take it out and carefully pour some of the remaining hot brine from the foil into the serving tray
- Put the ham on the serving tray and pour the glaze over it. I suggest using a very thick, maple/sugary glaze. Let it melt and soak in for about 5 minutes.
- Take it out to the table and slice it up. Because you sealed the brine in during baking, it should be a juicy ham. The dripping glaze will mix with the salty brine at the bottom of the tray. You can dip the ham slices into the liquid before placing on someone's plate to give them some nice marinade. I think a good wine pairing is either a hearty chardonnay from California or Washington State, or a Pinot Noir/Burgundy. For side dishes I suggest steamed broccoli, sweet potatoes and marshmallows, mashed potatoes, and Caesar salad.

It's really important that the meat is cooked right, because it is the centerpiece of the entire holiday meal. When the meat is good, your guests will drink more and be in a better mood, greatly enhancing the party atmosphere. Any further tips or suggestions are welcome.

Christmas ham

I would add the following to the good tips above:
- if you have a ham that still has fat and skin on one side, score it like a checkerboard and broil it for about 5 minutes before the ham is done.
- spend the money on a good ham. Hormel cure 81 will blow your mind for a store bought, boneless cured ham.
- shop local farms and/or farmer markets to see if you can get an uncured ham. Its still salted and smoked but they don't use sodium nitrite in the process (aka curing agent). It tastes less salty/metallic and is almost more like a pork roast. I don't know if its 'better' than cured ham but is a nice change.
- I like bone in hams better than boneless, more fat and richer taste.

Why do the heathen rage and the people imagine a vain thing? Psalm 2:1 KJV

Christmas ham

Quote: (12-25-2014 05:57 PM)Dr. Howard Wrote:  

- I like bone in hams better than boneless, more fat and richer taste.

The ham I used this year was a bone-in ham. I think the bone and the extra fat also helped it be juicier.

Christmas ham

Bump, please add any suggestions or tips for a big Christmas dinner.

Christmas ham

Quote: (12-22-2017 08:56 AM)C-Note Wrote:  

Rolls, some sort of potato recipe, a healthy salad or vegetable to help your stomach deal with the sugar you'll have on Christmas. I'd even recommend borsh, and the red color goes well with Christmas. Afterwords, eggnog or hot chocolate could be used as a dessert.

Christmas ham

I'll be smoking brisket. For easter, the ham will be definitely be smoked as well.

I don't care for precooked ham. Low and low over a grill is the best way to do it!

Christmas ham

I have been exposed to so much SJW talk online, I first read this thread as "Christmas Harm."

“The greatest burden a child must bear is the unlived life of its parents.”

Carl Jung

Christmas ham

Never heard of Christmas Ham, there's certainly no Ramadan Ham

Christmas ham

Quote: (12-22-2017 08:56 AM)C-Note Wrote:  

prime rib all the way. The best you can afford. preferably something aged for about 28 days. There's tons of recipes online, plus all the sides.

A proper roast, some popovers, either baked or mashed potato, 'au jus', horseradish cream, and a green vegetable. A salad to start, either caesar salad or a classic iceberg wedge with blue cheese dressing and bacon. Or a soup like clam chowder. Finish with apple pie or a yule log and some strong eggnog.

"...so I gave her an STD, and she STILL wanted to bang me."

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK

Christmas ham

Best way to cook Christmas Ham:

1- Toss away the ham
2- Get some nice halal food

Trolling aside, merry christmas, stuff yourselves happily [Image: smile.gif]

Christmas ham

In my experience, sealing a big piece of meat in tin foil or an oven bag when you bake it will help keep it from drying out while it's cooking. However, it can significantly increase the cooking time, by as long as an hour.

One thing I like about cooking ham or a hearty beef (brisket, London broil, hangar steak, pot roast, etc) for a get-together is that they're more salty and flavorful than turkey or chicken, so it stimulates the guests' palate to drink more to make the occasion more merry.