rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How to dress/pack when you go to S. America

I probably be going in the first quarter of next year. I was just out buying some clothes and started wondering about what kinds of things you should wear in SA. I would be going to Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina and Chile.

I'd only be bringing my backpack to last me however long. Then I got to thinking, shit...I'd be going through such a big variety of climates. From the tropics of Brazil, to the snowcapped Andes. I sure as hell don't want to look like a grubby backpacker and want to be able to look like I have some style.

What's a good way to dress down there if you want to look good to the ladies? I heard something about hats being a no-no in Argentina, and I'd guess shorts would be as well. However, I see photos of people wearing shorts in Brazil all the time. I guess each country has its own style.

Btw just noticed something while researching:

1Brazil184,101,109
2Colombia42,310,775
3Argentina39,144,753

The 3 most populous countries of S. America are also the ones with the hottest women. Woohoo, more hotties to go around!

Sorry, I'm geeking out.

If you are going pretty soon I would recommend you buy your clothing there (as long as you want to buy local brands like chevignon). The authentic imported clothing like Lacoste is much more expensive over there.

But in general, South Americans go nuts for "high end" name brand clothing with logos plastered all over it. Lacoste, Tommy Hilfiger, etc. are all popular there.

Pack light and buy clothes here.

It's cheaper unless you want to plaster yourself with brand names and look like a walking billboard (which some do).

Obviously if you are going to do this then leave room in your backpack for the stuff you are going to buy.

Quote: (12-16-2008 01:03 PM)Lumiere Wrote:  

Pack light and buy clothes here.

It's cheaper unless you want to plaster yourself with brand names and look like a walking billboard (which some do).

Obviously if you are going to do this then leave room in your backpack for the stuff you are going to buy.

How many changes of clothes would you recommend for 10 days in peru? are laundry machines available in hostels?

2 pairs shoes, one for going out (adidas, puma) and one for walking/running/hiking
1 pair good jeans
6 t-shirts
1 semi-decent shirt
1 thermal shirt
1 hoodie/jumper
1 pair shorts
1 pair swimshorts
1 knit hat/gloves

You'll be cold in the coldest of climates but this packing list will work for everything. Do laundry once in a week in a cheap lavaderia. Most just take one night... some are same day if you pay extra.

Thanks Roosh, that's just the kind of info I was looking for. I tend to overpack every time.

I also found a site that is pretty useful for this sort of thing just as a future reference: onebag.com.

I have this new idea/plan. I'm planning on taking a large empty backpack, put a few pairs of jeans in there (I'm 6'4" so its hard to find them pantalones) then I'll buy stuff as I need it. Is that a badass idea or am I just crazy?

Quote: (01-12-2009 08:50 PM)mlucasone Wrote:  

I have this new idea/plan. I'm planning on taking a large empty backpack, put a few pairs of jeans in there (I'm 6'4" so its hard to find them pantalones) then I'll buy stuff as I need it. Is that a badass idea or am I just crazy?

That does not sound like a good idea at all. Just pack light; why spend the extra money just for the thrill of going somewhere completely unprepared?

Quote: (01-12-2009 11:43 PM)multitap Wrote:  

just for the thrill of going somewhere completely unprepared

I know you're absolutely right but for some reason that sounds fun.

Quote: (01-13-2009 11:09 PM)mlucasone Wrote:  

Quote: (01-12-2009 11:43 PM)multitap Wrote:  

just for the thrill of going somewhere completely unprepared

I know you're absolutely right but for some reason that sounds fun.

Thats just an expensive waste of time. Would you rather go shopping all over various city's searching for specific items or spend your money going out to meet women or doing touristy things?

Well said lol. Well said indeed.

Once you're down there you may not enjoy hunting every day for basic items. Many poor countries don't have Targets where you can buy everything in one quick trip.

Quote: (01-15-2009 06:41 PM)Roosh Wrote:  

Once you're down there you may not enjoy hunting every day for basic items. Many poor countries don't have Targets where you can buy everything in one quick trip.

Not only that, if you are planning on buying cloths, I don't know how it is in other countries, but in Brazil, brand name cloths are extremely expensive. A volcom shirt would be about $50-100. A pair of DC shoes is like $200-300. I would deffinitely buy in the US. A lot of Brazilians don't have real good style since everything is so expensive. Just buy your basic cloths here and you will be fine.