rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Colombia Vs Dominican Republic

What's cheaper for a 3-4 month hiatus? I'm Dominican myself but i haven't been there since i was 15.. 10 years ago, so i'm completely disconnected on how it is over there right now.

From what family members tell me, i will need to rent a car in DR and Taxis can get expensive in SD.

Medellin seems cheaper?

i think both can be cheap. just gotta stay away from the expensive and touristy parts.

with that said i think colombia is a better deal for money and just the total package.

Have lived in both places

Dr is definitely cheaper

Hmmm, I would say Colombia is cheaper OVERALL cost wise. BUT to LIVE for an extended period of time I would MOST DEF. choose DR, HANDS down.
Chicks may not quite look at good as colombians (some do), but they are WAY easier, and overall A LOT more fun. I always have a BALL in dr, and Colombia, just have a "good time". Anyhow, if I was you I would hit DR, but try to do it on a budget. The things that can get to be expensive in DR are

1. TAXIS, to go down the street they are going to want about USD $3. Your kind of fucked because I doubt you will buying a car or renting one on a frequent basis.

2. Booz, if you are a drinker and plan on partying a bunch, your booz bill is going to be higher then you would think.

3. Food, the food isnt going to KILL you BUT you are going to spend more then you would like.

My advice to you on how to "hack" DR...Rent a room in an apt in a shared apt. for about $200-$400 (Depending on your budget of course)...Cook at home, if you know how..Pregame aka drink at home before you go out..Lasty, party in the BARRIOS, a good time and a lot less expensive then doing it high end.

I have a real good contact on an apt there if you want it, hope this helps

Quote: (04-25-2011 02:54 AM)Lumiere Wrote:  

Have lived in both places

Dr is definitely cheaper

BrDr -

"I have a real good contact on an apt there if you want it, hope this helps"

In which part of DR?

I have apt contacts in Santo Domingo if it helps

Quote: (04-26-2011 01:48 AM)BrDr Wrote:  

Hmmm, I would say Colombia is cheaper OVERALL cost wise. BUT to LIVE for an extended period of time I would MOST DEF. choose DR, HANDS down.
Chicks may not quite look at good as colombians (some do), but they are WAY easier, and overall A LOT more fun. I always have a BALL in dr, and Colombia, just have a "good time". Anyhow, if I was you I would hit DR, but try to do it on a budget. The things that can get to be expensive in DR are

1. TAXIS, to go down the street they are going to want about USD $3. Your kind of fucked because I doubt you will buying a car or renting one on a frequent basis.

2. Booz, if you are a drinker and plan on partying a bunch, your booz bill is going to be higher then you would think.

3. Food, the food isnt going to KILL you BUT you are going to spend more then you would like.

My advice to you on how to "hack" DR...Rent a room in an apt in a shared apt. for about $200-$400 (Depending on your budget of course)...Cook at home, if you know how..Pregame aka drink at home before you go out..Lasty, party in the BARRIOS, a good time and a lot less expensive then doing it high end.

I'm assuming to utilise your contact one will have to know some good spanish, eh?

OUR NEW BLOG!

http://repstylez.com

My NEW TRAVEL E-BOOK - DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A RED CARPET AFFAIR

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K53LVR8

Love 'em or leave 'em but we can't live without lizardsssss..

An Ode To Lizards

No, its just a gringo buddy of mine that rents out rooms in Santo DOmingo. American style apts. that are clean, cable, nice area, and not to expensive. Ill look for the lnk and post it..give me a bit

Quote: (04-26-2011 08:25 AM)Moma Wrote:  

I'm assuming to utilise your contact one will have to know some good spanish, eh?

Post that apartment contact and details in the accommodation section please.

I got lots of family out there, they offered a room to stay, but i rather have my own spot, send me a PM with the room contact please [Image: smile.gif]

I would disagree with most here. Yes the DR is cheaper than Colombia but I definitely wouldn't say that Dominicans are more fun than Colombians. Colombia is much larger than the DR and therefore more diverse in what it has to offer. The Costenas and Calenas of Colombia are more like Dominicans and the other Caribbean speaking Spanish.

Personally, I get bored in the DR after a period of time. I find myself going back to Colombia repeatedly.

Just my 2 cents.

Chicks may not quite look at good as colombians (some do), but they are WAY easier, and overall A LOT more fun. I always have a BALL in dr, and Colombia, just have a "good time". Lasty, party in the BARRIOS, a good time and a lot less expensive then doing it high end.

I assume the Barrios are the slums. Does that mean mostly working class people there partying?

Is it easy to pull IN THE BARRIOS without having to cough up dough?

OUR NEW BLOG!

An Ode To Lizards

MOMA,
Yeah, the Barrio parties are mostly working class folks. Yes, you can get it for free BUT SOME of the girls are going to "beg" for small shit like, pay to get their hair done, buy them an outfit, etc. But most times you dont have to drop any money, just go have a good time, drink, and take it from there..

Quote: (05-18-2011 09:54 AM)Moma Wrote:  

Chicks may not quite look at good as colombians (some do), but they are WAY easier, and overall A LOT more fun. I always have a BALL in dr, and Colombia, just have a "good time". Lasty, party in the BARRIOS, a good time and a lot less expensive then doing it high end.

I assume the Barrios are the slums. Does that mean mostly working class people there partying?

Is it easy to pull IN THE BARRIOS without having to cough up dough?

Quote: (05-19-2011 02:02 PM)BrDr Wrote:  

MOMA,
Yeah, the Barrio parties are mostly working class folks. Yes, you can get it for free BUT SOME of the girls are going to "beg" for small shit like, pay to get their hair done, buy them an outfit, etc. But most times you dont have to drop any money, just go have a good time, drink, and take it from there..

Just like a regular North American date, huh? How much does it cost to get a chick's hair done, how much do clothes cost?

OUR NEW BLOG!

An Ode To Lizards

you'll get robbed really quick partying in barrios by yourself.. why would i put myself in that position if even locals get robbed imagine someone coming in with nice shit on.

DR girls are easier than colombianas and typically have bigger asses, while colombianas have bigger breasts

"I'm not afraid of dying, I'm afraid of not trying. Everyday hit every wave, like I'm Hawaiian"

Quote: (05-20-2011 11:41 PM)JoeDirt Wrote:  

you'll get robbed really quick partying in barrios by yourself.. why would i put myself in that position if even locals get robbed imagine someone coming in with nice shit on.

People told me that about the favellas in Rio too but I went to them all the time for various reasons including to party and never had a problem. Went to a 'slum' in Peru as well and no problem.

The favellas and slums is where all the fun is at!!!! If you dont go than your missing out imo!

Yeah, what would naughty nomad do? Oh wait he got robbed a couple times. I guess slums vary. Probably the safest slums in the world crime-wise are the ones in India.

Quote: (05-18-2011 05:22 AM)alb3 Wrote:  

I would disagree with most here. Yes the DR is cheaper than Colombia but I definitely wouldn't say that Dominicans are more fun than Colombians. Colombia is much larger than the DR and therefore more diverse in what it has to offer. The Costenas and Calenas of Colombia are more like Dominicans and the other Caribbean speaking Spanish.

Personally, I get bored in the DR after a period of time. I find myself going back to Colombia repeatedly.

Just my 2 cents.

colombia is a lot more fun and you can find decent stylish classy women

in DR you are pretty much doomed on booze, cheap hookers and scheming whores. beyond beaches there is not much going on

the rule #1 for you as a gringo... don't mess with low class locals

Quote: (05-21-2011 11:55 AM)maestrobaires Wrote:  

the rule #1 for you as a gringo... don't mess with low class locals

Shit. I mess with any and every girl I find attractive and sexy. From the poorest girls in the barrios to the hot daughters of rich and prominent. I actually prefer partying in the barrios so long as im with good company and there is plenty of females around!!

partly agreed. so do i. but what really counts is your company! as long as you are with trustworthy barrio/favela/villa locals you are pretty much fine and safe

I met a DR girl a few months ago. A solid 9 in my book, she was white, kinda looked like an italian chick.

The general rule is if you run with dogs eventually you'll catch fleas.

I don't indulge in the "hood" in America, so I definitely don't in Latin America. Especially as a gringo.

Everything is hunky dory right up until it isn't and then you find out real quick how much fun you can have slumming it. The bull's eye is always on you ...whether you recognize it or not.

Don't think the guys are happy that you are there taking advantage of wealth and status disparities to bone their chicks. They may smile in your face while quietly setting up your demise - on a short term or long term basis.