rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How do you figure out your purpose in life?

Sounds vague, I know, but it's a serious question.

If only you knew how bad things really are.

Know thyself.

Instead of trying to find the answer, see how you "are an" answer. Your life is an answer...to a question. And then it's, what is the question your life is an answer to?

I don't know about you guys but my purpose in life is

1. Fuck the hottest girls possible
2. Drive the best cars possible.
3. Travel to as many countries as possible, places people don't dare to go, live life on the edge.
4. Stand up against this stupid thing called "feminism" everywhere I go.
5. Be financially secure enough to voice out your real unbiased opinion which is not influenced by political correctness bullshit.

I believe all these are natural instincts, 1st being passing your genes to create a superior product, 2nd displaying status, and 3rd fulfilling your adrenaline needs

p.s. There is no "purpose" per se. The very word implies agency and control by something greater than you. God is a silly invention. We are apes with big brains. Sometimes you do what you want, sometimes you do what you must.

"Me llaman el desaparecido
Que cuando llega ya se ha ido
Volando vengo, volando voy
Deprisa deprisa a rumbo perdido"

The only purpose you have in life is the one that you give yourself. Real talk.

-

Get a pen and paper and write your own obituary.

Reflect on how your served your family as a son, husband, brother.

Reflect on how you served the world with your ventures, academic pursuits, entertainment, or whatever you see as being your legacy long after you're dead.

Reflect on the types of people you will wish will remember you fondly.

You'll inevitably have enemies and critics, so reflect on the reasons why they reluctantly respected you, despite their grudges.

Reflect on the quiet moments and specific little instances in your life that made you amused or happy - I think these are the most important things.

Think about all the roles you play in your own life and in the lives of others and in society as a whole and how your unique skill sets and personality are best suited to serve them.

This will help you imagine what kind of legacy you want to leave behind and, as a result, give you a purpose in life.

My two cents.

-

Quote: (11-21-2014 01:02 PM)RexImperator Wrote:  

Sounds vague, I know, but it's a serious question.

The most important question for every man here. One I'm still trying to figure out. Until we can answer this for ourselves, we're just flotsam on the sea of life. In my opinion, I think the answer to this ultimately was answered long ago when we were children. Think back to your childhood. To a time before your mind and your thoughts were corrupted by those around you. There's a quote in my signature that reads "The games we played as children, mirrored the dreams we had". I think it's true, and one of the most gut punching quotes I think I've ever read. Sit down and reflect on your childhood. Before you were a teenager. Where did your imagination take you? What made you excited? What did you look forward to? What were your hobbies? What books and stories inspired you? What movies did you watch that made you go out with your friends to re enact? What mischief did you cause that you thought was fun to get away with? It's up to you to experiment, and to seek adventure to rediscover these childhood dreams to see if they do in fact ignite a passion that resides within you. Once you find it, pursue it, and don't let anyone stop you.

For what it's worth, Nixon had a few good words on this.

Dreams are like horses; they run wild on the earth. Catch one and ride it. Throw a leg over and ride it for all its worth.
Psalm 25:7
https://youtu.be/vHVoMCH10Wk

I don't believe we have a purpose. That's metaphysical bullshit.

I have goals and have learned to recognise the feeling of peace that comes from pursuing them vs the listlessness that ensues from not pursuing them.

Dr Johnson rumbles with the RawGod. And lives to regret it.

Survive and pass on your genes. Meanwhile, sleep with women you find beautiful

Maybe a life purpose is just a big question we don't need a specific answer to.

Since becoming more 'redpill life aware' for lack of another term I've had different goals in the past couple years.

Year 1 - girls girls girls, get more experience dating, sexually etc
Year 2 - more life experience, travel self discovery and different areas of self improvement

I expect year 3 to be year 2 but more extensive and a next level of some sorts.

Perhaps the life purpose to a man's life shouldn't be to do x,y,z with it or achieve said something? Perhaps it's just to self improve as you go in the areas most important to you while enjoying the different components of your life, family friends girls hobbies travelling etc.

Freedom.

Freedom from nagging bitches.
Freedom from the modern plantation called "corporate work".
Freedom with 100% of my time.
Freedom to say fuck you to anyone and walk out.

Until you do not have freedom you can not have any higher purpose.

Deus vult!

Mark Manson has written some helpful articles on this topic:

http://markmanson.net/life-purpose
http://markmanson.net/content/PDFs/Life_..._Guide.pdf

Quote: (11-22-2014 07:45 AM)The Ligurian Wrote:  

Quote: (11-21-2014 09:27 PM)seabridge Wrote:  

Survive and pass on your genes. Meanwhile, sleep with women you find beautiful

Once you've passed on your genes and banged hot women you kind of seek some greater meaning out of life. That does not mean that you stop wanting to bang dime pieces but that you compartmentalize that part of your life and relegate it to not being the most important thing in your life. Look at all the great lizard slayers, eventually 95% of them get bored with that life style and seek more permanent fixtures in their lives who help them achieve their calling. Look at Clooney, Pitt, Cowel, Brand etc. all guys who did and could slay anyone and yet they stopped, why? Because eventually a man wants to leave his mark on the world in his own way, to create something unique in some way and banging hot women whilst fun also becomes trivial to your calling with time.

I will not be sidetracked from my purpose by any woman no matter how hot because working on your purpose once you truly discover it becomes an extension of yourself and ego. The interesting / ironic thing is when you so that you become much more attractive to women.

Which should lead one to the conclusion that purpose changes and evolves over time. You achieve that sought after internal state of equilibrium by pursuing whatever your goals are at this time in life while balancing that with the maintenance of your physical and mental health (exercise, friends, family, travel, etc.). The difficulties in life come with the constant struggle of making that balance happen.

Quote: (11-21-2014 01:40 PM)YMG Wrote:  

Get a pen and paper and write your own obituary.

This is great advice.

Also, read this book:

[Image: Mastery_Cover.jpg]

Mastery: Robert Greene

This book does a great job in helping one understand their true talents and abilities.

“There is no global anthem, no global currency, no certificate of global citizenship. We pledge allegiance to one flag, and that flag is the American flag!” -DJT

Sometimes I think about what Jim Carrey said: “I hope everybody could get rich and famous and will have everything they ever dreamed of, so they will know that it's not the answer.”

I guess first you have to achieve everything that lacks in your life in order to gain an abundance perspective: sex, money, aesthetics, friends, experiences etc.

- Living the good life: health, wealth, love and happiness
- Fufilling the 6 human needs (says tony robbins) : certainty, uncertainty, variety, significance, connection, growth, contribution

- Asking yourself personal questions and reflect. Things like:
"Describe your perfect day" (and not the sitting on the beach all day type shit)
"If you had 5 years to live and $100M what would you do"
"If today was your last day, what would you do?" (imagine the day lasts a long time, make a really big list, so once you get past all the skydiving, driving racecars, orgies and drugs, you start to think about some things that matter)

Don't expect your single profound answer to come from these questions. You probably have a bunch of things you want to do with your life. Make a list. Start trying things out, if it doesn't work, try something else.

Also try inversion, what would NOT be your life's purpose, if today was your last day, how wouldn't you spend it:
- Working a boring 9-5 job just to pay your bills
- Spending too much time on facebook
- Eating crappy food that makes you feel terrible
- Hanging out with people you don't care about
etc.

Food for thought.

finding your purpose in life is the easy question - Your purpose in life is to find happiness.

The question that is hard to answer is - what is happiness, to you?

I spent a lot of time back in the days on stuff David Deida wrote about. He is pretty much all about purpose in life and such.

The more I read about purpose (because I really wanted one) the more I felt there is something missing without it. Especially because so many respected individuals stressed its importance (like right in this thread for example, there is Nixon) I made it important for myself, too.

But for years I just couldn't find such a thing. "Purpose." Because for a secular thinking guy like me, there just cannot be one, except the one we make up for ourselves. But satisfying this "demand" for a purpose, by just making something up, seemed backwards to me. So I just didn't. I got rid of the demand.

It happened without a conscious effort, too. After thinking so long about it, it just became clear that I don't actually need a purpose. People who think they need a purpose need a purpose. People who don't, don't.

The one isn't better than the other. What is sad is that people in the "purpose" camp write books, give seminars and are treated like superstars in certain communities. They found their purpose in selling you a purpose. Yay.

What I'm trying to say is rarely being said, let alone published and commercialized. It is the open source way of life, but it doesn't have a platform.

Quote: (11-21-2014 01:28 PM)jayyrod1 Wrote:  

The only purpose you have in life is the one that you give yourself. Real talk.

This is solid advice.

It really comes down to choice, that's all there is in life. You make choices and they reflect the outcome of your experiences; you can choose to have a purpose or choose not to.. i mean, that realization in itself when you think about it.. is so liberating, your not bound by anything but your self.

Practical advice: Just keep on pursuing new experiences and getting involved with life, for me i travelled a lot.. it gave me a lot of ideas, i still can't say with any certainty i know what i want to do.. but it helped narrow down some choices and gave me perspective.

Well according to Mystery it's simple. Life = survive and replicate.

Don't debate me.

Life is purposeless. Live for experiences, not for things. Material objects have no inherent value beyond their usefulness to you at a certain place and time. Your life experiences, good or bad, are what make life.

“To have faith is to trust yourself to the water. When you swim you don’t grab hold of the water, because if you do you will sink and drown. Instead you relax, and float. But the attitude of faith is to let go, and become open to truth, whatever it might turn out to be." - Alan Watts

A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.

A true friend is the most precious of all possessions and the one we take the least thought about acquiring.

The truth is that despite all of my struggles to make my mark in life, for all I've accomplished, in just a few short generations my name will be forgotten.

Even the greatest of us can't compete with time. And death.

There's no way to tell what my purpose is. And that's why I stay in the game. My purpose is to see where it's all going.

We create our own purpose in life. Now go create yours.