rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Chinese Only College at UBC

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-co...-1.2826142

Weird story- the University of British Columbia in Vancouver is opening a $127 million college on campus with the caveat that the only students who are allowed to enrol are Chinese citizens. Obviously this is infuriating the entire rest of the campus, as dorms, research, renovations etc will be passed over for the construction of this college that will give Chinese kids a year to acclimate to the Canadian university experience.

Tuition is 50K a year.

Obviously its a cash grab for UBC (University of a Billion Chinese?) but this makes me feel bad for young Canadians who get into UBC. None of these kids are going to bother integrating into the campus culture, and will fuck off back to China with a good education from a top Canadian school. Especially since it`s clear most of the Chinese kids will likely enrol in hard science degrees, and Canada clearly could use some top scientific minds developed due to our general lack of innovation (besides natural resource sector breakthroughs like SAGD in the oil sands, what have we really innovated? Nortel and Blackberry set telecommunication standards, but then collapsed when American innovation improved upon the initial idea).

Imagine all of the Canadian kids who will have to compete with Chinese kids for grade curve GPA, get into classes, which could be tricky, since Chinese students are notorious cheaters.

I know lots of top US schools love Chinese students because they pay, but I think the complete blockage of Canadian citizen applicants is unprecedented.

They are desperate for money. Simple as that.

What are they going to do with extra money? you know it well already?

Sebastian, obviously you are right, and perhaps it will provide lots of extra income down the road. But I stand on my point that it's totally unfair to actual Canadians who may get passed over because of this. We have good subsidized education in Canada (when I went, average tuition for a year was about $500 a class so $5000 a year, it's crept up though) which should give any worthy young person a fair shot at success in their chosen field if they meet the academic standards after high school.

When you graduate from that college you'll just want another education in an hour.

Tuthmosis Twitter | IRT Twitter

It sounds like an extension type program that's commercial. Not allowing canadian students at all is a strange decision.. It should be open enrollment and naturally a lot of Canadian citizens would probably not choose to enroll in a college that's 99% Chinese anyways. That's a lot better than officially restricting it.

It would be hilarious if all the Canadian dudes with asian fever enrolled if they had open enrollment.

I tend to agree this is training up the competition but it's such a small drop in the pond that it probably doesn't matter anyways. The guys who are graduating STEM from Harvard, M.I.T., Cal Tech, etc.. and going back to China are the ones you have to worry about.

So you want them accept canadian students in the same building while paying 5000 bucks a year? compared to chinese kids paying $50,000 a year? I mean out of state student pays twice as much but the gap is too big.

Anyways, they are just selling a degree. You think canadian kids are being mistreated. no it's not. it's better for canadian kids because they don't have to mingle with fob students. You don't want that right? I know it.
No local students want to have a fob student in their group since it slows them down. Imagine half of your group member is Fobs. You will hear them talking in their language. you wouldn't want to go to such glass, I am pretty sure.

They are doing a SEGREGATION for you guys. You don't realize that??

I don't know why you are upset. Chinese students should be upset because they won't have a chance to experience real canadian school system.

Quote: (11-08-2014 01:07 AM)komatiite Wrote:  

Sebastian, obviously you are right, and perhaps it will provide lots of extra income down the road. But I stand on my point that it's totally unfair to actual Canadians who may get passed over because of this. We have good subsidized education in Canada (when I went, average tuition for a year was about $500 a class so $5000 a year, it's crept up though) which should give any worthy young person a fair shot at success in their chosen field if they meet the academic standards after high school.

loco the population is already 99% Chinese with some of the hottest Asian girls you'll ever see and there is big racial separations already in the classes and social groups.

There isn't really a campus culture there to begin with (other than 'progressive' status jockeying )

to me it just seems like an act of segregation so local kids can start being accepted for enrolment again. When local kids can get accepted they can claim there isn't such a housing shortage as most of them will live in commuting differences. then they can milk the millionaire kids for money so they can beautifiy the campus and make it more environmentally friendly thus boosting their image and attracting more students to get money from.

There were protests recently over tuition hikes. This decision just goes to show that universities are nothing but businesses who's image takes priority over their students success. because without the ubc brand they are just another school and won't attract the big money international kids

and to the people worrying about the elitism that may occur... The kids who will be attending that are already driving maseratis lambos and McClarens to class

Chinese international students don't do hard science degrees, at least where I'm at. Most of them do business related majors. Accounting, Economics, Finance and the like. Most of them come as a means of getting permanent residency after they graduate, or they couldn't get into a top tier school in China. And yes they are very wealthy. Think about how expensive their fees are as international students, then compare that to the typical Chinese income. These are the children of Chinese's nouveau riche 1%.

Quote: (11-08-2014 01:54 AM)Deluge Wrote:  

Chinese international students don't do hard science degrees, at least where I'm at. Most of them do business related majors. Accounting, Economics, Finance and the like. Most of them come as a means of getting permanent residency after they graduate, or they couldn't get into a top tier school in China. And yes they are very wealthy. Think about how expensive their fees are as international students, then compare that to the typical Chinese income. These are the children of Chinese's nouveau riche 1%.

I assume that's Australia? I know a lot of underachieving Chinese rich kids end up in Australia. They spend all their time shopping, buying houses, and driving around in race cars.

In America it's very different. All the asians from the middle to upper tier has the full intent of sending their kids to the ivy league. That's why cultural pressure is so different for the fobs in America. I remember there were slackers too but they were far outnumbered by the STEM types. The typical thing would be the rich millionaire fob parents would buy a condo or house outright with cash. Have their kids enrolled in multiple tutor/study programs to have them catch up. Then they would be on the fast track to the best schools by the time they were in their second year of high school.

The U.S. is almost always choice #1 for education, Canada #2, Australia #3. The U.K. has priority if the kid gets accepted to something like Oxford otherwise the U.K. is barely on the radar for the most part.

From what i've seen and heard from Chinese people I know the academic hierarchy is like this:

smart but poor kids go to the top universities in China.

smart and middle class kids get sent to live in the west with relatives at a very early age. These are the 1.5 generation kids.

smart, well off, but slacker kids get sent to australia/N.Z.

smart and wealthy kids get sent to the U.S. before high school and are fast tracked with tutoring and the best support system. Ivy league or bust for these kids.

smart and wealthy transfer students. They usually go directly to the ivies or other top tier private schools.

Quote: (11-08-2014 01:58 AM)El Chinito loco Wrote:  

I assume that's Australia? I know a lot of underachieving Chinese rich kids end up in Australia. They spend all their time shopping, buying houses, and driving around in race cars.

In America it's very different. All the asians from the middle to upper tier has the full intent of sending their kids to the ivy league. That's why cultural pressure is so different for the fobs in America. I remember there were slackers too but they were far outnumbered by the STEM types. The typical thing would be the rich millionaire fob parents would buy a condo or house outright with cash. Have their kids enrolled in multiple tutor/study programs to have them catch up. Then they would be on the fast track to the best schools by the time they were in their second year of high school.

They're definitely spending a lot of money on dope threads, but I've never seen any international students driving race cars, or buying houses, which is for their parents generation.

There's definitely a lot of cultural pressure on them here too. The international students spend all their spare time in the library (honestly so does everyone whose not doing a bullshit major), they're not slacking.

Geopolitical ramifications aside, a useful side effect is that it provides the university with a potentially brilliant tool for Chinese language instruction. Give students 2 years of classroom study, then have them basically live on the Chinese-only campus for a year and you've got yourself a bunch of near-fluent speakers.

If Canada is similar to the U.S. in this respect--that is, if we're going to have different admissions standards for them ("Asian-Americans needed nearly perfect SAT scores of 1550 to have the same chance of being accepted at a top private university as whites who scored 1410 and African Americans who got 1100"), we might as well let them have their own college--especially if they're paying an order of magnitude more of tuition.

#NoSingleMoms
#NoHymenNoDiamond
#DontWantDaughters

Quote: (11-08-2014 02:07 AM)Deluge Wrote:  

They're definitely spending a lot of money on dope threads, but I've never seen any international students driving race cars, or buying houses, which is for their parents generation.

There's definitely a lot of cultural pressure on them here too. The international students spend all their spare time in the library (honestly so does everyone whose not doing a bullshit major), they're not slacking.

Then the kids being sent to the U.S. might in fact be wealthier too. It's a fairly common thing for mainland Chinese in CA to buy houses/condos/cars for their kids. There are even entire neighborhoods where it's all made up of these people. A big portion of the San Gabriel Valley in CA has loads of wealthy mainland Chinese.

The STEM majors far outweigh the business majors in the U.S. too. The stereotypical nerdy asian fob engineer, I.T., or med degree image is very common in the U.S.

Quote: (11-08-2014 02:13 AM)Kabal Wrote:  

If Canada is similar to the U.S. in this respect--that is, if we're going to have different admissions standards for them ("Asian-Americans needed nearly perfect SAT scores of 1550 to have the same chance of being accepted at a top private university as whites who scored 1410 and African Americans who got 1100"), we might as well let them have their own college--especially if they're paying an order of magnitude more of tuition.

The funny thing about affirmative action is that it penalizes intelligent american born asians the most. The intelligent and rich fobs can just jet back to their homeland and get all the prestige with accolades in China. Not to mention they can transfer knowledge and experience from the U.S. straight into Chinese companies. Whereas the U.S. is busy blocking a percentage of the smartest American born students from receiving the best education due to racial politics.

America's social policies are backwards and probably hurt competitiveness in the long run.

Quote: (11-08-2014 02:20 AM)El Chinito loco Wrote:  

Quote: (11-08-2014 02:13 AM)Kabal Wrote:  

The funny thing about affirmative action is that it penalizes intelligent american born asians the most. The intelligent and rich fobs can just jet back to their homeland and get all the prestige with accolades in China. Not to mention they can transfer knowledge and experience from the U.S. straight into Chinese companies. Whereas the U.S. is busy blocking a percentage of the smartest American born students from receiving the best education due to racial politics.

America's social policies are backwards and probably hurt competitiveness in the long run.

You say that as if it's almost like an accidental bug, but it is a feature of America's racial spoils system that is working as intended.

#NoSingleMoms
#NoHymenNoDiamond
#DontWantDaughters

From what I understand (based on the comments from the Harvard Girl book in China), the Chinese are really confused why the West has such xenophilia with their colleges.

In regards to the issues with Affirmative Action: http://www.theamericanconservative.com/a...ritocracy/

It goes deeper. The West is so assbackwards it is ridiculous. Fine with giving whites an edge against asians but trips itself to throw them under the bus for other groups.

I'm sure some of the people reading might think things are exaggerated with the new Chinese money coming into Canada (especially Vancouver) so here's one example:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/01/11/...cing-case/

[Image: png0901n-impoundedcars-1273.jpg?w=620]

Quote:Quote:

VANCOUVER — A high-performance Lamborghini seized last year after an alleged street racing incident involving a number of expensive vehicles has been sold, but the fate of three other seized vehicles still are in dispute with the owners.

For the record, I strongly disagree with this law regarding seizure and sale.

Last August, police impounded 13 flashy cars — a Ferrari, three Lamborghinis, three Nissans, two Maseratis, two Mercedes, an Audi and an Aston Martin — after they were observed driving at speeds upwards of 200 km/h going south from Richmond on Highway 99.

Witnesses said the cars were driving side-by-side and would slow down traffic so others in the pack could race ahead.

At the time, RCMP said the drivers — 12 men and one woman — were all under the age of 21, and six still had their novice driver’s licence.

One driver did not have a B.C. licence, and was using a foreign licence, police said.

Just one driver was the registered owner of the vehicle he was driving.

Quote: (11-08-2014 03:17 AM)LeBeau Wrote:  

I'm sure some of the people reading might think things are exaggerated with the new Chinese money coming into Canada (especially Vancouver) so here's one example:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/01/11/...cing-case/

[Image: png0901n-impoundedcars-1273.jpg?w=620]

VANCOUVER — A high-performance Lamborghini seized last year after an alleged street racing incident involving a number of expensive vehicles has been sold, but the fate of three other seized vehicles still are in dispute with the owners.

For the record, I strongly disagree with this law regarding seizure and sale.

Last August, police impounded 13 flashy cars — a Ferrari, three Lamborghinis, three Nissans, two Maseratis, two Mercedes, an Audi and an Aston Martin — after they were observed driving at speeds upwards of 200 km/h going south from Richmond on Highway 99.

Witnesses said the cars were driving side-by-side and would slow down traffic so others in the pack could race ahead.

At the time, RCMP said the drivers — 12 men and one woman — were all under the age of 21, and six still had their novice driver’s licence.

One driver did not have a B.C. licence, and was using a foreign licence, police said.

Just one driver was the registered owner of the vehicle he was driving.

Ethnicity is obviously 100% relevant, and yet goes completely unmentioned.

Good old western media, telling us what we need to know, and nothing more.

These kind of vulgar displays of wealth show how insecure the wealthy Chinese are about their social status in the west.

Quote: (03-05-2016 02:42 PM)SudoRoot Wrote:  
Fuck this shit, I peace out.

Quote: (11-08-2014 01:54 AM)Deluge Wrote:  

Chinese international students don't do hard science degrees, at least where I'm at. Most of them do business related majors. Accounting, Economics, Finance and the like.

That's because they're all at mine. [Image: tongue.gif] Yeah it's true that any Business/Commerce Faculty worth speaking of will be about 70% international Chinese, but heaps are in engineering(depending on major)/IT/Comp Sci. too. The joke is that the official languages in our School of Mechanical and Aerospace engineering are Mandarin and Punjabi. [Image: biggrin.gif]

Quote:El Chinito loco Wrote:

Then the kids being sent to the U.S. might in fact be wealthier too. It's a fairly common thing for mainland Chinese in CA to buy houses/condos/cars for their kids. There are even entire neighborhoods where it's all made up of these people. A big portion of the San Gabriel Valley in CA has loads of wealthy mainland Chinese.

It happens here too. Parents buy up property in anticipation of their children's education before they're even of university age.
Probably not to the same extent as the US though. Cars, I haven't personally seen (apart from a Malaysian friend), but one of my tutors a few years ago told us about a few Chinese students he had that would periodically head out to the main road and top up their parking meters -- their cars weren't old shitboxes btw. And considering how expensive parking is in Melbourne's CBD...

Even though your point about the USA being the #1 university destination for Chinese, we're not exactly picking up the dregs. International fees are still fucking expensive here, so the ones that come here are still very moneyed.

A lot of them get in via a one-year foundation studies program that's basically the equivalent of our high-school matriculation. These courses once again cost a fortune and are practically 100% international, they're basically the ones who didn't make the cut but had money to throw around.

The even richer ones come here to finish off secondary education -- usually halfway through high school. Private schools are their preferred choice, then selective state schools, then ordinary state schools -- which still charge a bundle for international students. The state school system is generally a joke here, so I'm guessing the slackers do end up in Australia for a reason.

If you look at the long game then it makes a lot of sense. BC being on the Pacific they already have a large Chinese population. It is in Canada's best interest to create long lasting bonds between China and itself, solely based on the economic windfall that has happened and will continue to happen. The fact is that Canada is largely undeveloped, and the major metro areas are the key drivers of the immigration that we have. Canada has approximately 36 million people. China has 1.7 billion. It is only sensible to forge a cultural and economic partnership with the most populated country in the world.

I would have an issue if I was a young professional working in Vancouver and being unable to purchase a condo/home in the city due to the huge price increases due to the wealthy Chinese that have settled there. That is perhaps the biggest drawback to our immigration policy, as well as the ease with which foreigners from all corners can live within their own communities without integrating into larger society. You can already see the effect this has on federal politics. By that I mean Sikhs getting elected in majority Sikh districts, Chinese getting elected in majority Chinese districts, etc. This is as it should be but it still reflects a partitioned sense of community.

The reality, and this is where the long game comes in, is that Canada is overly reliant on the USA as a trading partner. The article states that the new college is aimed at wealthy Asians. China, Japan, India, Singapore and more. The first two represent the largest emerging markets in the world. The college itself is an addition to the school, and Canadian economy, solely based on the fact that it will draw greater numbers of these foreign nationals, and hopefully lead to more substantial trading ties in the future.

The article states that the college is essentially an intensive ESL program for students who don't qualify due to their English skills. It is a bridge program where they will join the main student body in year two. Having gone to a school with a large Asian population this seems like a good idea. English levels with foreign students aren't always the best, and can be a real hindrance in any collaborative setting.

As to other students feeling swindled, well, the new school will bring in 1000 students at $50,000 a year every year. Canadians pay less than 1/5th of that. The added revenue can be put towards many things that will improve student life for everyone. Of course, the average person only thinks of themselves and how they benefit right at this very moment, so they can't be bothered to think about the future.

Most of the foreign Chinese here are buying central city apartments as investment properties rent out. It's actually a good thing for most people, the huge new apartment buildings they're building here are built solely to cater to Chinese demand, and the glut of apartments is driving down rents in the city centre. I don't understand why they keep buying them with falling rents and no capital growth but their appetite is voracious.

There's a lot of Asians and Indians in my universities STEM faculties it's just that they're all 2nd and 3rd generation. Whereas Business majors are majority international student Chinese. I know that if they study Accounting it's easier for them to get permanent residency afterwards because it's a field with a recognized skills shortage by the Immigration department.

One Chinese guy I went to high school with fits the Canadian stereotype, well at least his family does. He came with his family when he was little from Mainland China. He lives in a mansion in the wealthiest postcode in the entire state, Dad owns a Ferrari and every once in a while jets off to play golf with A-List Hollywood celebrities and major championship winning golf players, he made his wealth as a property developer. The son never talks about the money though. He doesn't even use it to impress girls, although he does well enough without needing to anyway.

No different than a lot of Uk universities during the summer. The Chinese students get their degrees in 4-5 months from May/June till Early/mid Sept.

They charge triple the amount too. Its all a cash scam but if the Chinese want to come then lets take their money as well.

this is awesome. More asian girls!

seriously, who the fuck cares? This is obviously just more cash from the university that otherwise would have come from canadian students or taxpayers. This is GOOD FOR SOCIETY.

This is actually what law schools do to - mass produce LLMs from rich international students.

First golden visas and now a Chinese only college... It just tells you how everything has become a commodity

They pay tons of money, they're smart and work hard, and you'll never see them pissing off the locals or watering down the ratio at a club. You could bring in 100,000 Chinese students to a campus and the only place you'll see them is the library. If they stay afterwards to work, they're productive members of society and integrate well.

Just one ground rule though: you need to chain down shopping carts at grocery stores, or they'll all disappear (Chinese students have a habit of pushing their food all the way home from the store)