rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How to build a solid work ethic

I've been working with a small electrical contractor for a few months now and my job is fucking miserable. I've been digging trenches for a couple months now and it's making me realize how lazy I am. I was relatively spoiled for most of my childhood an my dad worked 6 days a week so I never had a great role model. I coasted through high school with mediocre grades, I never did well in anything that bored me and now that I'm out reality slapped me in the face. I just want to know how to become more motivated and stop wasting my time procrastinating.

Quote: (10-29-2014 04:52 PM)mmedeiros14 Wrote:  

my dad worked 6 days a week so I never had a great role model.

dad worked 6 days a week

never had a great role model

umm

Same. Except my dad moved overseas so I never got to see him. Incredibly successful but I never got to learn from his work.

Steps to Building A Solid Work Ethic:

1. Realize/accept that having a solid work ethic/grit/discipline will always put you head and shoulders above everybody else.

2. Get leverage. It's a nice idea in the moment to think "gee I really would like to have a good work ethic" but if it's only an idea it will never stay. It has to be a commitment for life, you always put time into something, and won't settle for less.

"I just want to know how to become more motivated and stop wasting my time procrastinating." - There is no fire under your ass. You don't have anything big you're working towards and have settled in with the sheep of our society who deem average to be ok. Find what you really care about and would crawl around in sewage to get to.

3. Keep digging those fucking trenches, and then when you come home after a 8-12 hour day, spend 4 hours working on an online hustle to build a side income. That's what hard work ethic is. Even when your friends are going out to the bars or your main bitch wants to see a movie, you say no so you can stay home and work some more. You want something better for yourself, and to get there it will take a lot of pain and sacrifice. You will be ruthlessly determined to chase your dreams. Figure out how bad you want it.

Or you could just chill, keep doing what you're doing, because average work gets an average life.

Hard work ethic isn't a hobby, it's a principle.

Plain and simple as in be willing to do the things that other guys aren't willing to do. There's levels to this game called life, how bad do you want to reach the top.

Quote: (10-29-2014 05:44 PM)peterthephoenix Wrote:  

Same. Except my dad moved overseas so I never got to see him. Incredibly successful but I never got to learn from his work.

Steps to Building A Solid Work Ethic:

1. Realize/accept that having a solid work ethic/grit/discipline will always put you head and shoulders above everybody else.

2. Get leverage. It's a nice idea in the moment to think "gee I really would like to have a good work ethic" but if it's only an idea it will never stay. It has to be a commitment for life, you always put time into something, and won't settle for less.

"I just want to know how to become more motivated and stop wasting my time procrastinating." - There is no fire under your ass. You don't have anything big you're working towards and have settled in with the sheep of our society who deem average to be ok. Find what you really care about and would crawl around in sewage to get to.

3. Keep digging those fucking trenches, and then when you come home after a 8-12 hour day, spend 4 hours working on an online hustle to build a side income. That's what hard work ethic is. Even when your friends are going out to the bars or your main bitch wants to see a movie, you say no so you can stay home and work some more. You want something better for yourself, and to get there it will take a lot of pain and sacrifice. You will be ruthlessly determined to chase your dreams. Figure out how bad you want it.

Or you could just chill, keep doing what you're doing, because average work gets an average life.

Hard work ethic isn't a hobby, it's a principle.

Thank you for that. I have no idea what I could do for a side hustle, lately we've been slow so I've been working one or two days a week. I don't have enough experience in electrical to do side work, and my only other skills are in woodworking and guitar. Do you have any literature on side hustles. I need something to keep busy and push myself.

Supplementing Your Income with Side Hustles - $15,000 US a year: http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-27759.html

At least you recognize it. I give you credit for that. And that probably puts you years ahead of your peers. I know I am generalizing and am making an assumption about you (being young) but not impressed by the millennials. If I am wrong, I apologize.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

I'm 23 so that puts me in the millennial class. Discipline/hard-work etc was a value never really ingrained by my family. My mother did a good job raising me, she just didn't train me to be a high-performer.

You have to dig and not be afraid to.

Why? When you're the boss and all your lazy workers don't show up the job still needs be be done so you can get your check and pay the overhead etc. You need to not even think about it and if you're lazy the good guys won't waste time teaching you the tricks of the trade but instead torment you.

"my only other skills are in woodworking and guitar"

How about building custom guitars for a side gig?

Why have ethics when one isn't rewarded for it?

I learned long ago my job was just a paycheck and the hardest part was showing up lol. The last generation that had work ethics were screwed.

Surviving work is like having game. You need some!

Quote: (10-29-2014 06:53 PM)Engineer Wrote:  

"my only other skills are in woodworking and guitar"

How about building custom guitars for a side gig?

I've tried going that route and the thing wouldn't sell. I had to part it out to get some of my money back. Brand recognition is important with guitars. It was a fun experience though.

Building guitars is fucking hard and you need to be a pro. Online hustles are mobile.

Check out this book too

The Now Habit: A Strategic Program for Overcoming Procrastination and Enjoying Guilt-Free Play
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcuxGURCuEM

Quote: (10-29-2014 06:38 PM)el mechanico Wrote:  

Why? When you're the boss and all your lazy workers don't show up the job still needs be be done so you can get your check and pay the overhead etc. You need to not even think about it and if you're lazy the good guys won't waste time teaching you the tricks of the trade but instead torment you.

I'm not standing around putting it off I'm working my ass off. I just tend to slow up a bit by 11:00 and I get bitched at by the journeyman and the other apprentice. I lose my drive to impress and end up counting down the hours 'till I can leave.

Quote: (10-29-2014 07:34 PM)mmedeiros14 Wrote:  

Quote: (10-29-2014 06:38 PM)el mechanico Wrote:  

I'm not standing around putting it off I'm working my ass off. I just tend to slow up a bit by 11:00 and I get bitched at by the journeyman and the other apprentice. I lose my drive to impress and end up counting down the hours 'till I can leave.
Keep moving and don't eat foods that slow you down. Gain respect!

Quote: (10-29-2014 07:29 PM)peterthephoenix Wrote:  

Building guitars is fucking hard and you need to be a pro. Online hustles are mobile.

Check out this book too

The Now Habit: A Strategic Program for Overcoming Procrastination and Enjoying Guilt-Free Play
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcuxGURCuEM

It's a lot of trial and error and I've fucked up a lot of guitar bodies. The wood shop teacher at my old school worked for martin in the 70's and he taught me pretty much everything I know.

Quote: (10-29-2014 07:09 PM)jimukr104 Wrote:  

Why have ethics when one isn't rewarded for it?

I learned long ago my job was just a paycheck and the hardest part was showing up lol. The last generation that had work ethics were screwed.

Surviving work is like having game. You need some!

You can have Game and ethics at the same time. They are not mutually exclusive. Establishing trust and being true to your word is still very important. In my profession this is crucial and I have been rewarded well for having a this reputation.

On a personal note, being having high ethics and being true to our word is is a mark of a self-actualized person. This is what separates us from women. It is a shame for any man to lose sight of this. You can still make your mark in this world with high ethical standards.

Check your testosterone levels.

"Why have ethics when one isn't rewarded for it?"

When you get into your own biz, or to the higher levels, it makes all the difference.

The crabs who don't learn stay in the bucket.

Quote: (10-29-2014 06:07 PM)mmedeiros14 Wrote:  

Thank you for that. I have no idea what I could do for a side hustle, lately we've been slow so I've been working one or two days a week. I don't have enough experience in electrical to do side work, and my only other skills are in woodworking and guitar. Do you have any literature on side hustles. I need something to keep busy and push myself.

People pay out the ass for custom woodwork, especially if you can make it look historic. What people charge is absolutely insane. If you put together a portfolio of some of the things you build you could hit up areas urban areas that are being redeveloped that have high property values and pretty much undercut all of your competition and still easily make $40-50/hour for your work. This is all assuming you can actually make a quality product efficiently. Once you do a few jobs and show people a good product, you will have more work then you know what to do with. I helped a buddy turn his woodworking hobby it into a business doing pretty much exactly what I outlined here.

Quote: (10-30-2014 09:15 AM)Harvey Specter Wrote:  

Quote: (10-29-2014 06:07 PM)mmedeiros14 Wrote:  

People pay out the ass for custom woodwork, especially if you can make it look historic. What people charge is absolutely insane. If you put together a portfolio of some of the things you build you could hit up areas urban areas that are being redeveloped that have high property values and pretty much undercut all of your competition and still easily make $40-50/hour for your work. This is all assuming you can actually make a quality product efficiently. Once you do a few jobs and show people a good product, you will have more work then you know what to do with. I helped a buddy turn his woodworking hobby it into a business doing pretty much exactly what I outlined here.

I don't have the capital to do woodworking on a large scale and efficiently right now. That has always been my goal to sell custom furniture and restore old woodwork. It is a niche market though most people can't tell the difference from a real mahogany coffe table or hand cut moulding from some veneered fiberboard from IKEA. I've been thinking of reselling items from those Chinese trade sites (tradetang.com dhgate.com) they sell everything you can imagine. I'm sure the quality isn't great but what is anymore.