rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Resources for learning PHP?

Does anyone know of any good resources online for learning PHP? I was a ASP/SQL developer but left the field about 5 years ago and am looking to get back in to development.

I have had enough of the corporate world and am looking to get back in to something that will allow me to be more location/time independent.

Any suggestions on videos, development tools etc. would be greatly appreciated.

w3schools has a fairly simple intro course.

Been a web dev for over nine years now, let me know if you have any other questions.

Use the search feature

Cattle 5000 Rustlings #RustleHouseRecords #5000Posts
Houston (Montrose), Texas

"May get ugly at times. But we get by. Real Niggas never die." - cdr

Follow the Rustler on Twitter | Telegram: CattleRustler

Game is the difference between a broke average looking dude in a 2nd tier city turning bad bitch feminists into maids and fucktoys and a well to do lawyer with 50x the dough taking 3 dates to bang broads in philly.

Both suggestions greatly appreciated although searching for the term php can be tricky. [Image: smile.gif]

codeacademy is pretty good.

i'd read this first though. http://eev.ee/blog/2012/04/09/php-a-frac...ad-design/

removed

Cosigned on 456's assessment, I've been doing php for years. Once you get the broad strokes down, if you come from another structured OO language, learn a framework and learn it well. Wordpress is shitty and perpetuates shitty code, but damn if it doesn't pay the bills. You can pick up some pretty decent money doing Symfony2 and Laravel apps, as of late. I also recommend learning some front end javascript, specifically angular.js since a lot of web dev consulting gigs require at least *some* front end work, even if you just mock it up using twitter bootstrap. That will double (or more) your exposure to freelancing gigs. Code academy is probably the best resource for getting the broad strokes, then go directly to symfony's website for docs. PM me if you need any help.

removed

456 seems like he's been around (like LouieG on project management).

OP, php.net documentation is the best thing of its kind. Read user submitted comments too, they are wonderful.
I am studying for PHP5.5 certification in a few weeks and that is my major resource. If you're just starting out, memorize everything in the language reference section, http://php.net/manual/en/langref.php

I got lamp setup last night and played around a bit. I will roll through the code academy courses this week an go from there. Thank you again for the direction.

Quote: (10-20-2014 11:38 AM)xtr3m Wrote:  

w3schools has a fairly simple intro course.

Been a web dev for over nine years now, let me know if you have any other questions.

Since you offered...

Where do you see the most demand relative to talent scarcity now and in the next 2-3 years? As someone trying to break in, where did you start? How do you find a community of skilled devs for mentoring and growing. How much opportunity is there to freelance or work on a contract basis?

About me: I've been studying the front-end intensively for the last 6 months - about 500 hours logged to date. I can do responsive design in HTML/CSS with media queries, and I can use javascript to run for-loops, if/else, and jquery to make a basic interactive site with animations and event listeners although I have nothing production-worthy at the moment.

Right now I'm trying to wrap my head around MVC's - loading with require, templating external html files with lodash, and routing with Path.js.

removed

codecademy.com .There are dozens of online classes for programming now like ruby on rails.

I thought this thread was gonna be about P4P.