rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Christopher Thomas Knight, Hermit, King of The MGTOW

This is a GQ article about Christopher Thomas Knight AKA The Hermit. He walked away from society in 1986, and lived in the woods in Maine. Maine can be a brutally cold place in the winter, but this guy survived living in a tent. He would break into houses and winter cabins to steal food, clothing, and books. The only contact that he had with another human being was in the 90's on a trail passing a hiker. He said "hey". This guy lived in the wild for almost three decades. It's a five page article but I found it pretty fascinating.

http://www.gq.com/news-politics/newsmake...rue-hermit

"Feminism is a trade union for ugly women"- Peregrine

Great article.

Thoreau? "Dilettante."

He doesn't look into people's faces because "there's too much information there."

Winters in Maine with no fire because he might have been seen? Insane.

I love people who live according to their convictions. We admire people on this forum whose convictions allow them to succeed on worldly terms. But this guy took a far harder path, and did not waiver.

This was the most inspirational story I had read in a long time. I read it about a month ago. I raged with jealousy for a week. Well-written too. Thanks for posting.

Dude is pretty clearly a schizoid. Still, mad props for doing what's basically impossible in the modern age, straight up ghosting for decades.

This story is fascinating, just imagining what he did, what he went through willingly I can't fathom it completely it but it's an impressive feat. Hermits usually maintain some contact with the outside world, but this dude was 100% solo and he did it in Maine, with cold ass winters. He just abandoned society completely, like if it was nothing and never thought of returning ever with the exception of taking what he needed/wanted while maintaining no contact with anyone. I can't wrap my head around it completely but it's such a fresh experience, he lived this journey completely on his own. It makes you wonder how did he deal with loneliness, because surely he felt it to some degree. I haven't read a story this fresh in years. Great post Vinman!

While this story is fascinating, it's neither sustainable (he is a clear outlier in having survived this long), independent (it explicitly depends on other people from whom you can steal or otherwise get stuff) or a lesson of any sort (the number of people who could be sustained in this sort of lifestyle is by definition very limited, which prevents any sort of widespread adoption).

Interesting story but I don't consider it MGTOW, just craziness.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

He broke into homes to steal food and other things he needed. Dude was lucky no one shot his schizoid ass.

He isn't any better than the homeless bums in Boston.

He was a homeless man living in Maine. Nothing more and nothing less. Maybe if he learned to live off the land...

"The Strange & Curious Tale of the Last True Hermit"

Stupid title. "The Sad Tale of a 46-year old Maine Petty Thief"

"forty robberies", "everything he possessed in the world he'd stolen"

“Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate.”

Sounds like pretty typical homeless dude who sleeps rough...no romanticism there

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if Engineering professors across the nation started receiving odd packages in the mail, with a subsequent Manifesto showing up in the New York Times...

I remember there was another guy (I think he was mentioned in "Into the Wild?") who lived a similar lifestyle in the desert, but he was living off of things other people threw away, not stealing. I can respect that a lot more.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

During the summer my cabin and woodshed get broken into, but that is just because of the rise of campers during that season. It's not located in Maine, so I can't attribute it to this guy.

"A stripper last night brought up "Rich Dad Poor Dad" when I mentioned, "Think and Grow Rich""

Quote:Quote:

A few desperate residents even left notes on their doors: "Please don't break in. Tell me what you need and I'll leave it out for you." There was never a reply.

Typical Maine-nice behavior. And this guy still stole. Just a more clever rural bum who got away with it for longer.

Although he was a thief, I still find it impressive that he was able to survive Maine winters in a tent. Has anyone ever been to Maine in winter? At least 10 feet of snow per year, temperatures sub-zero for months, and chills that reach -40 F. Wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. Cannot understand how he survived, this dude would have been a world famous explorer in another age.

Contributor at Return of Kings.  I got banned from twatter, which is run by little bitches and weaklings. You can follow me on Gab.

Be sure to check out the easiest mining program around, FreedomXMR.

What did he eat if he never made a fire?

Sounds like he should have taken some notes from Ol' Dick Proenneke.

Lived alone in Alaska for 30 years, made everything by hand, lived off the land. Even filmed a lot of his life. Watch Alone in the Wilderness its a great film.

Interesting that the conditions of his release were to assimilate back into society or face a severe prison term. For stealing food and cooking equipment.

Society hates it when people refuse to participate. It's basically the way people react to introverts except multiplied by a factor of 1000.

Quote: (09-30-2014 05:46 PM)monster Wrote:  

What did he eat if he never made a fire?

He had a camping stove and stole gas bottles to keep it going. He just never had the classic campfire for warmth or light.

It's an interesting story, the article doesn't provide enough background information, but it appears he didn't have the knowledge to live off the land and provide his own food, so he 'foraged' other people's belongings.

"I'd hate myself if I had that kind of attitude, if I were that weak." - Arnold

Quote: (09-30-2014 08:40 PM)BortimusPrime Wrote:  

Interesting that the conditions of his release were to assimilate back into society or face a severe prison term. For stealing food and cooking equipment.

Society hates it when people refuse to participate. It's basically the way people react to introverts except multiplied by a factor of 1000.

It's more about getting him to stop stealing other people's shit and causing property damage.
Work for yourself, stop stealing, stop ruining other people's places.
If that means forcing him to "assimilate back into society", so be it.

If he was living in the woods, gathering his own food, making his own supplies, this wouldn't be a problem.

"A stripper last night brought up "Rich Dad Poor Dad" when I mentioned, "Think and Grow Rich""

If your chosen lifestyle depends on stealing other peoples' shit for survival, you're nothing but a major league asshole.

I've had around $2000 worth of my property stolen from my vehicles and cabin in the last five years. Fuel and tools for the most part. In each case I was significantly inconvenienced by the theft, and in the right circumstances my life could have been endangered. Where I live is no fucking joke, and if I only find out that one of my fuel tanks was siphoned when I hit the transfer switch five miles off the highway in January, I've got serious problems.

Half the people I know have had at least some fuel oil or gasoline stolen in this area.

I probably wouldn't shoot someone for stealing from me, unless they were trying to mug me or break into my house. But I wouldn't shed a tear if someone who habitually stole from others caught a load of buckshot with his face just "for stealing food and cooking equipment" either.

Same problems for me too, I no longer keep wood working tools or anything at my cabin anymore, no food, no supplies. Now when I want to go relax up there, I gotta truck everything there and back that I'm going to need.
People still break in, even though there is nothing of worth there anymore.

The campers still steal wood though, even if it's just stuff I cut and split myself from fallen trees in the area.

Yeah I hate thieves too. It really would have sucked to be one of the people he continually stole from. Thieves are the scum of the earth.

But people get stolen from every day. People are murdered every day. People starve every day. People are bombed to smithereens every day. People send other people off to war to be maimed for stupid shit every day.

And we can look at that side of the story in nearly everything. In this case, being a Thoreau junky myself, I'm impressed by a man that yes, was imperfect, but fuck all what will power. People do bad shit all the time. Few give us a glimpse into the possibilities of living according to an entirely different reality, through incredible hardship, for almost 30 years.

If only the people who have stolen from me through the years had such fortitude. Unfortunately they were all just garden variety fuckwits whose deepest opinions and heaviest conclusions concern what kind of beer they enjoy, if they even got that far.

This guy lived his own dream. Others who we place on the pedestal for living their own dreams I'm sure on closer inspection may have done far more damage to many more people, were we to see it that way. And most live their dream to escape their pain.

This guy lived his dream to face the pain.

I can't help but see the beauty of that story over the negatives.

The guy was clearly mentally ill though, this is the same issue as those schizophrenics that keep cycling in and out of prison due to petty thefts or public nuisance behavior, while prison has a definite negative impact on their mental state. I bet anything this guy will try to run back into the woods and that'll be the excuse to lock him up for good since he didn't make his parole meetings or whatever. Huzzah, a nonviolent mentally ill person is locked up in what are to him tortuous conditions, and the public is safe except for all the meth addicts that actually steal valuable things, about whom the police never do anything more than take a report then go back to sitting on their fat asses at Starbucks.

A lot of us are hung up on the fact that this guy took things from other people to maintain his way of life. Kings have done this(and worse) as well and many of them are still lauded as important historical figures. I'm not saying that this guy was completely harmless but any harm he did cause can be mitigated almost completely, it's a negligible detail in this story, it's petty, no matter how many hundreds of times he did it, it was always petty theft. The thing about this guy is he dropped out socially speaking. Not saying a word to a single soul for almost 3 decades, no one to relate to for all this time, not experiencing someones touch. This man for stretches of time experienced what it was like to live without an identity. His sense of who he felt he was had vanished for long periods of time living in the forest. The stillness he says he had discovered, the peace he says he had carved out for himself in that small patch of land is what he admitted he had missed more then anything.

That he lived in a tent in Maine and never lit a fire during brutal winters is impressive, I'd be frozen within the first year if I tried something similar and I'm a resourceful man but this is not as interesting as the fact that he abandoned humanity(socially speaking) totally without blinking an eye, and never wavered in his decision, he was resolute to die in that forest living completely on his own terms. I have to say I wish he'd have succeeded until the very end.