rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

El Conquistador breaks free of corporate slavery - heading to the Dominican Republic

El Conquistador breaks free of corporate slavery - heading to the Dominican Republic

After a year in the UK working in a cubicle doing interpreting and translations, I’ve decided to jump ship, burn that ship behind me and move to the Caribbean.

It’s a similar story to this thread http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-32183.html but hopefully this one will have a better ending.

I was done with it.

Having to beg for permission if you need to go to the dentist. People crawling all over each other like crabs in a bucket to get a promotion from $28,000 to $30,000 a year. Do you really think $2000 extra year will be noticeable to your lifestyle? Alpha bitches visiting from head office and strutting around all aloof from the lowly workers. Team meetings playing ‘guess the word I’m drawing’ to foster ‘team bonding’ (I’m not joking). Co-workers so socially awkward that when they see you outside of the office they pretend like they don’t know you. Monthly reviews about minutiae. Cliques in the staff lunch room. Trying to have an interesting life and improve your finances using a flawed model.

I’m done with all of it. I’m taking the leap into entrepreneurship.

I’ve lived in Latin America before but I was always teaching English or doing interpreting/translating. I never had the time freedom, location freedom or income to really enjoy it at the next level.

Now obviously I know that teaching English is very lucrative in South East Asia and the Middle East, but I’ve only taught English in Latin America and Western Europe. It does not pay well.

Also it doesn’t challenge me anymore. I wouldn’t be learning anything new and pushing myself.

So it's either entrepreneurship or die trying.

I did consider Chang Mai and Bankok as options because I could meet other digital entrepreneurs there but with my Spanish and big booty fetish, I plumped for the DR.

I’ve got around 2 months worth of savings to live off and then my long-term, meant-for-retirement savings that hopefully I won’t have to dip in to.

Hopefully I won’t be back in the US or the UK in three months with my tail between my legs looking for a job.

Even if I do, I’ll just regroup, get another 9-5, try a different idea and make another break for freedom.

I’m fully aware that being a digital nomad, living abroad and even entrepreneurship is not the ‘panecea’ that many people think it is. Moving to a third world country will not fix your life and be a long-term option.

But I’m not doing a round-the-world ‘gap year’ or a year on the JET program in Japan before heading back home to decide what I want to do long-term.

I view this move as a career shift more than anything. I won’t stay in the DR but entrepreneurship is something I want to do long-term. Creating stuff and working with other driven people who are unemployable just excites me.

Thanks to Roosh, Germanico, Nacimiento, Lothario for their advice and support with the business stuff.

Props to Kavakid, Pitt, Carribean Soul and Rover and for answering specific DR questions.

Learn Spanish Game Latinas
http://pickupspanish.com/

Good luck.
Keep us updated on this thread how things are proceeding.

Great to hear that el conquistador!
If you only have a couple months savings, I'd recommend you focus fully on building that stream of online income first before the party lifestyle. One of the best things to do is to be in an environment that stimulates you, that inspires you and motivates you to give your very best. Where you can meet like minded guys to network with and bounce ideas off each other as well as being in an environment that inspires you, pushes you and motivates you to give your very best. Remember the sage saying that you are the average of the 5 people you spend your time with the most.

While the DR is fun no doubt, the entrepreneurial community is not as big (if any at all) as say hubs like Chiang Mai, Saigon, Bangkok, Davao or Bali or Medellin. A the very start of your journey you want to be in such an environment filled with other successful like minded guys as well as where you can bootstrap your money the furthest. Money is oxygen for any aspiring entrepreneur. Even more is in the very early stages of such a crucial endeavour.

All in all, if you want to have fun, have a blast by all means go to the DR and slay as many big bootied lizards as you want. But for bootstrapping and starting an online biz, the environment and network around you is vital. Chiang Mai and Saigon are unbeatable in that aspect.

All the best whatever you do and wherever you may end up. Keep us posted. To your success man!

El conquistador- Was lurking, logged in just so I could "like" your post.

Congrats on having the balls to walk away from your job- that's something 95% of the working world doesn't have the guts to do. I'll be following your thread with interest.

The Peru Thread
"Feminists exist in a quantum super-state in which they are both simultaneously the victim and the aggressor." - Milo Yiannopoulos

Great job! I hope this goes well for you. Please keep us updated with all of your adventures and best of luck.

Best damn decision you could have ever made.

"I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story." Nas

Regardless of what happens, you'll gain so much from this experience.

I'm in a very similar situation, where I am currently working towards establishing a location-independent source of income for myself in order to expatriate. I will do anything to avoid living a life where I have to work in a soul-crushing office job in the Anglosphere.

Good luck Bro,

I might see you again...I'm Planning another trip to DR soon. Are you going be living in the same place ?

Quote: (01-06-2015 04:37 AM)Kingsley Davis Wrote:  
You can bring broads to logic but you can't force them to think.

Quote: (09-22-2014 06:46 PM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

Great to hear that el conquistador!
If you only have a couple months savings, I'd recommend you focus fully on building that stream of online income first before the party lifestyle. One of the best things to do is to be in an environment that stimulates you, that inspires you and motivates you to give your very best. Where you can meet like minded guys to network with and bounce ideas off each other as well as being in an environment that inspires you, pushes you and motivates you to give your very best. Remember the sage saying that you are the average of the 5 people you spend your time with the most.

While the DR is fun no doubt, the entrepreneurial community is not as big (if any at all) as say hubs like Chiang Mai, Saigon, Bangkok, Davao or Bali or Medellin. A the very start of your journey you want to be in such an environment filled with other successful like minded guys as well as where you can bootstrap your money the furthest. Money is oxygen for any aspiring entrepreneur. Even more is in the very early stages of such a crucial endeavour.

All in all, if you want to have fun, have a blast by all means go to the DR and slay as many big bootied lizards as you want. But for bootstrapping and starting an online biz, the environment and network around you is vital. Chiang Mai and Saigon are unbeatable in that aspect.

All the best whatever you do and wherever you may end up. Keep us posted. To your success man!

Wow. You have a great perspective on this. I'm looking to go full digital nomad myself. Soon. I was thinking Asia. There was a report that came out recently which listed a few places (starting with Chaing Mai, etc). But that got me thinking about trying to cross reference that list w/ the knowledge here in this forum.... Without going into extensive detail it looks like Davao might be the best, all things considered. Thoughts?

Congratulations, Conquistador!

May the Force be with You.

I don't think teaching English in SEA is all that lucrative without putting in the hours or having have a ton of experience. It's not a bad living by any means, but I think lucrative is the wrong way to put it.

Any who, I know your feeling, wish you the best of luck mate.

Huge decision you made, and a good one. Wish you luck in your quest, I will keep an eye on this thread!

Good luck, keep us posted!

Just saw this on FB have a look..
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...=1&theater

250 a month.

Have you been to the DR before? What is your budget?

Good luck...damn this sounds like something I need to do.

“Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate.”

Thanks for all the words of encouragement guys. Much appreciated.

Just a quick update: I'm living in Santo Domingo in the Naco area. I've been hanging out with Caribbean Soul and I met up with Renotime as well (both really cool guys).

Business wise, I launched one ecommerce website yesterday. Now I need work my ass of on SEO and Social Media marketing to drive traffic to the store.

I'm also creating one information product which is about two weeks away from completion. Once it's finished I'll get it on Clickbank and try to get affiliates promoting it.

I'm getting tired of Dominican people shouting "Hey my fliend" at me as I walk down the street[Image: sad.gif]

Learn Spanish Game Latinas
http://pickupspanish.com/

Inspirational stuff El Conquistador - so few people have the balls to do what you have done. I will track your progress with interest and wish you the best of luck.

Following the 2nd worst week i've experienced in the corporate world (office politics screwing me over [Image: tard.gif]), this post came at a great time for me.

My goal is to create an online/location independent business but I have found it difficult to progress this as my current role demands so much of my time. I know I need to make more time for this and get the ball rolling.

Did you come up with a business plan prior to quitting your job? I'm just wondering how much preparation/research you needed to do prior to quitting your job. Cheers and best of luck again

Haha man DR is great, even though there are people that try to hustle you all the time the vibe is great there.

Did you connect with any of the girls you met up with last time? Or did you start over again online?

Also I imagine this time you're going to play things differently. Since you are living there now you know it's worth it to invest time into day game as the quality is much higher.

Can you break down your living cost?

Are you still living in the Dominican Republic? ANy updates?

I used to live in the DR

Do NOT invest in business in the DR

So...updates?

It takes el conquistador two weeks to reply on WhatsApp so good luck getting an update on here.

You want to know the only thing you can assume about a broken down old man? It's that he's a survivor.