rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How To Make a Good News Thread

Lately, I've been seeing many threads based on news articles that provide no information. Just "i thought this was cool, heres a link." Here is how to actually make a good news article thread:

Headline That Says Exactly What The Thread is About:

One to two sentences explaining what happens in the news article, answering any "who, what, when, where" basic questions the headline doesn't cover.

Link to the news article:

http://www.returnofkings.com/9874/title-of-the-post

Quote:Quote:

Key quote pulled directly from the article. Ideally the first paragraph where the author summarizes what the article is about, or a particularly inflammatory quote from the subject of the article. If the post is about video, embedded the video in the post here.

One to two sentences providing commentary on the article, explaining why you thought it was interesting, and offering any insights or observations you gleamed from it.

That's it. It simple, but I've noticed several recent threads that don't even provide the basics. No link to the article, or no summary and just commentary, or no quote so we have to click the link, etc. You can go shorter than this, but we have to at least know what the thread is about without clicking a link, and know what link or source you're getting info from.

The lack of quote from newbie members often makes me suspect someone is a spammer, because no info means we have to click the link to know what they're talking about and they just want pageviews for the latest RSD video or cosmo for men article their boss told them to promote.

Optional final part: Link to ROK article or other forum member's post showing how we brilliant men totally called this many moons ago.

Read my work on Return of Kings here.

I saw VP suggest to Roosh that only guys with 100 posts should be allowed to create threads. Seems like a good idea! Most noob posts are retarded.

Then again if that happened we would have missed BroFist delightful thread.

[Image: agree.gif]

Its common courtesy, I see the same thing all the time outside of RVF. It courtesy for the reader, who for one may not want to click the link for fear of spam, and for a far simpler reason, a reader may not care at all about what you think is so important.

From an intellectual and contribution standpoint, yes, for the forum, we share thoughts and insights, not links. Its laziness. Some people need to be taught this.

Is it acceptable to post the entire contents of the article as a quote?

"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar, De Bello Gallico, Book III, Ch. 18

Good post, should be a sticky.

Quote: (09-17-2014 09:20 PM)TheWastelander Wrote:  

Is it acceptable to post the entire contents of the article as a quote?

No that's rude and likely violates copyright law. The only time this might be acceptable is if you do an in depth review on article and summarize sections after you quote them - but even that's iffy. Just quote a representative paragraph and link, if people want to read more they'll click through.