rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Squatting problems for guys who have played contact sports

So, I live in the UK and as football (soccer for you Americans) is our most popular sport, most guys who are into sport will have played it since they could walk. I love the game and have played it all my life. However, as some of you may know it can affect your knees. I'm not even 18 yet, but when I squat, after 2-3 reps there is a pain on the inside of my knees.

So my questions are if any of you chaps have experienced this (probably also applies to basketball players) and if so what to do? I'd love to be able to squat without pain. Thanks.

It's simply growing pains

I am the cock carousel

I don't think very many people would consider soccer to be a contact sport.

Anyways, it is possible you could have some scar tissue in your knees that causes the pain. If it is affecting your lifestyle or workout regimen I would suggest seeing an orthopedist or sports medicine doctor. I get a similar pain during squats, but I have torn (and had reconstructed) my ACL, so I know the source and causes.

Thanks guys, btw I did break my leg playing football but that was about 10 inches lower, wondering if it might be that.

Maybe you can't squat properly.

How much are you squatting now?

First things first, watch videos and read about the techniques of squatting first and make sure you are doing it right.

Then you can evaluate other things/options.

Search the forum there have been threads on squatting.

Good luck - hope you can find a pain free solution.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

I've played soccer all my life and can squat just fine.

It's most likely just your technique.

LD- Not very much, probably max at 40-50 kilos at the moment, I haven't even tried to go any higher. I'll take a look on youtube, thanks for the suggestions.

Quote: (09-13-2014 01:13 AM)britchard Wrote:  

LD- Not very much, probably max at 40-50 kilos at the moment, I haven't even tried to go any higher. I'll take a look on youtube, thanks for the suggestions.

Ok man, so you're just starting out.

As others have said watch some youtube videos, learn the form well and try to replicate it during your lift. I know it's hard to know what your form looks like unless you're looking at yourself, but please don't squat into a mirror. Try to get somebody to watch you or even better record your lifts.

What does your routine look like?

I'm working out 4-5 times a week, I probably try to do two 'leg days' which include squats. When I open the inside of my knee out, the pain is instant but if I keep my legs straight then my kneecap hurts too. Only my left leg.

Are you certain the pain is not simply your muscles recovering from previous workouts? You need to find out if it's muscular or in the actual joint.

What you should do now is take off the plates and go back to the bar. Try some squats with good form and if you can find a nice, pain free range of motion start adding the plates back. Don't rush, 5kg increments(per session) should be fine.

Give this a shot first, but if all else fails I recommend you see somebody about your knees.

Good luck.

No it's definitely not a muscle injury, thanks for the advice I think I will see someone.

I used to have this and I had to back up on the weight and go back to technique. I found that really had to focus on keeping my knees pushed out so that it felt like the weight of the squat was running down the outside of my legs, across the outer knee and then down to the outside edge of my foot and heels.

That focus also kept me from pushing with the balls of my feet but more with my heels.

Why do the heathen rage and the people imagine a vain thing? Psalm 2:1 KJV

The knee pain could be due to other problems. I work at a physical therapy clinic and I've come to find that most people, even those that are in good shape, have weak hips. This can cause knee problems, so you may want to try strengthening your hips. Side-lying hip abduction, as a basic exercise, could help. You can add ankle weights to make it more challenging, if you have access to them.

This video gives a good explanation of the exercise.

Inflexibility could be another problem. Try performing a piriformis stretch.

As mentioned in that video, your hip flexors can be tight and you should stretch those as well.

That video is from Kelly Starrett who is fairly famous for his Mobility WOD (workout of the day). You can check out his other videos or even his book Becoming a Supple Leopard, which I know MikeCF has mentioned before. Hope this helps.

Quote: (09-11-2014 12:56 PM)Harvey Specter Wrote:  

I don't think very many people would consider soccer to be a contact sport.

Here it is defined as a contact sport. As is basketball etc.

Sports like Rugby are defined as collision sports.

As others have said, make sure your form is perfect (fuck trying to impress people with big numbers lifted with shitty form: the numbers will come eventually, start small and proper), and realize that yes, you will experience pain and discomfort when you're starting out no matter what physical activity you played before hand. I remember that when I first started squatting 10 reps of 105 used to wreck my knees. Around the time I reached a full plate I was crippled for 2 weeks. I couldn't walk up stairs.

Yesterday I did a few 5 reps of 355 and 30 minutes later there was zero soreness in my knees. Your body will adjust and grow. Even the monsters started low and slow. Give your body time to acclimate and help it by lifting properly. You'll make it brah.

You should start with a stick or empty bar until you can squat without pain and to good depth.

My dad came to me with chronic knee problems a few years back. His doctor, physio etc. were useless. I taught him how to squat and started him with just a stick for 2 months, followed by holding a small KB (goblet squat) for another few months. His knee problems went away. Now he's repping 100kg at 64 y.o and about 65kg bodyweight, not even trying (as he only does it for general health).

Young kids (with no injury history) taking up weightlifting or powerlifting in countries where those sports are popular would get started with just a stick or empty barbell (small one) and have to stick with that for months until they can do it in their sleep.

For some reason, in Western countries, adult males with history of injuries, poor mobility and/or no relevant training history get thrown into lifting programs that make them go up in bar weights every week straight from the start, with zero regard to their technical skill development.

Yeah I think I'm actually gonna go weight free till the pain has gone.