rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

That moment when you know you have style

It occurred to me today and perhaps a few days ago as well that I have style (I don't mean that I've kidnapped Neil Strauss). Style's subjective and everyone has their own based on their physical features,location, and aesthetic sensibilities; but I can finally say I have found mine. I was walking past a building with mirrored glass walls and stole a peek at myself from behind some modified aviators. My posture was erect, my back was straight and shoulders were back. I walked with a purpose, and I was dressed to impress (though at the company I work at, its not hard unless you're an exec and even then, I out do them, especially if I know it's time to suit up). Basically, I looked really damn good. What I'm trying to say is, I don't need to listen to critics any more, I can follow my own path now that I have the confidence to know what works for me and to ignore the haters in the tshirts, jeans, and sandals when it comes to hat looks good. When moment of stylistic independence?

Got any pictures? (Best to blank out your face).

I'll try on my way back. I have class in 5 minutes I'm already going to be late for. If not ill try tomorrow. I like to think my blazer game is tight; pocket square or not

When you walk into Starbucks and stand in line and the women start playing with their hair. When you turn away for a second, they follow to sneak a full glimpse of you. You place your order and the barista stutters, then begins fumbling around making your order. You're walking down the street and dudes look at you and nod. Other guys that are suited down stare at your pocket square then check out your choice of shoes. Cha-ching.

Conceived to beat all odds like Las Vegas

If you are well dressed, does that imply you are wealthy? Are people checking you out because they think you a high status person?

I am new to this and I consider myself very well dressed always have. And even been told that by a few women. But what is the deal with the pocket square? I am not being sarcastic, I really want to know.

"Go get yourself some"

Quote: (09-10-2014 07:31 PM)reco2100 Wrote:  

I am new to this and I consider myself very well dressed always have. And even been told that by a few women. But what is the deal with the pocket square? I am not being sarcastic, I really want to know.

Its unusual as very few people wear it? I wonder if it has a practical purpose other then to 'flower' the individual concerned.

Quote:Quote:

If you are well dressed, does that imply you are wealthy? Are people checking you out because they think you a high status person?

I don't think so, I think more than anything it implies that you give a damn. That instead of walking out in whatever the first thing your hand touched in your closet, you took a few more minutes to decide what would work well together and present you in the best possible light. It shows people looking at you that you exercised forethought in putting together wardrobe options that showcased your best features and unique tastes. I think people look at well dressed people (guy/girl) because they're different from the world around them; and yes, to some extent, dressing well is a demonstrator of higher value in that the demonstrator is showing themselves to to be competent in an area that relatively few are.

Its unusual as very few people wear it? I wonder if it has a practical purpose other then to 'flower' the individual concerned.

As to the pocket square, it's something Christian McQueen promotes and I agree with, especially when going out at night. It's an occasionally in my day to day wardrobe. Functionally, it ties your outfit together if you're wearing a jacket and gives you an opportunity to express yourself since guys don't get too many options to show a personality or flair. Practically, you can give it to your girl if she needs to wipe something ir clean something up and demonstrate again, your forethought and presence of mind

For me, having style and being fashionable are different things.

As others have pointed out, being well dressed demonstrates intentionality and purpose, which are attractive features in a man. However, being fashionable just indicates that clothes are a hobby of yours and that you are trendy. This is something that a particular kind of woman will find attractive, but isn't really that different from attracting women because you are super jacked or ride a motorcyle.

Having style, though, is about knowing how to present yourself in the best possible way. It is part of being the best you that you can be, just like working out, getting educated, etc. This is independent from being fashionable. Style is a form of self expression and helps communicate who you are to the world.

Tanner of Masculine Style wrote a good piece on this difference where he discussed the style of two hood rats that he saw. They weren't fashionable, but they clearly had a particular style that they deliberately wore.

Having style, though, is about knowing how to present yourself in the best possible way. It is part of being the best you that you can be, just like working out, getting educated, etc. This is independent from being fashionable. Style is a form of self expression and helps communicate who you are to the world.

I agree with your statement BlueStreak, and in my opinion I think fashion is an illustrator of style. Style signifies that you understand yourself and and purposefully present to the outside world the best possible version of yourself. Now sure I readily admit that fashion is only a component of that, but it's the most obvious component. How you physically carry yourself, to how you interact with other people socially, your word choices and methodologies behind your actions, those are all components of style. So on that note perhaps a more appropriate title/subject would be "When did you realize that your fashion started to blend and be congruent with how you present yourself to the world"

Quote: (09-10-2014 07:13 PM)rdvirus Wrote:  

When you walk into Starbucks and stand in line and the women start playing with their hair. When you turn away for a second, they follow to sneak a full glimpse of you. You place your order and the barista stutters, then begins fumbling around making your order. You're walking down the street and dudes look at you and nod. Other guys that are suited down stare at your pocket square then check out your choice of shoes. Cha-ching.

Ha this was the secretary today at the doctors office. I was dressed (quite sharply I might say) business causal in dark grey slacks, a slim fit purple dress shirt tucked in, dress shoes, rocking a new pair of aviators and a fresh haircut. I looked like a detective.

I noticed these past few days that I am treated very nicely when I am dressed up. The secretaries at the police station were top notch in helping me out with some paper work (almost everyone else in there were tattooed covered gang bangers and convicts). At the doctors the nurses seemed genuinely interested in what I was saying when I spoke with them casually. I also found myself getting more friendly smiles.

Overall, people (especially women) light up at the sight of you when you're well dressed. Especially when most men in this area that are my age look like this:

Quote: (09-10-2014 10:25 PM)HungWeiLo Wrote:  

I agree with your statement BlueStreak, and in my opinion I think fashion is an illustrator of style. Style signifies that you understand yourself and and purposefully present to the outside world the best possible version of yourself. Now sure I readily admit that fashion is only a component of that, but it's the most obvious component. How you physically carry yourself, to how you interact with other people socially, your word choices and methodologies behind your actions, those are all components of style. So on that note perhaps a more appropriate title/subject would be "When did you realize that your fashion started to blend and be congruent with how you present yourself to the world"

I think you have misunderstood what I was saying. You don't have to be fashionable in order to have style. That is, you don't have to be rocking the latest trends in order to look good and present who you are to the world.

Fashion is about what colours are "in" this season, what style of footwear, what particular haircut. You don't have to indulge in any of these things to look good. You can adopt some if you like them and they suit you, but they aren't necessary.

Having style is about wearing things that make you look as good as possible and are congruent with who you are.

When you go to a cafe and the waitress steals a look at your crotch. And she's a stunning 8.5.

Dr Johnson rumbles with the RawGod. And lives to regret it.

Fashion is for women. Style is for men.

Fashion is fickle. Style is timeless.

Fashion is picked by taste-makers. Style is personal.

Quote: (09-10-2014 10:06 PM)Blue Streak Wrote:  

Tanner of Masculine Style wrote a good piece on this difference where he discussed the style of two hood rats that he saw. They weren't fashionable, but they clearly had a particular style that they deliberately wore.

Link?

When you're out and every new person you talk to has something to say about what you're wearing.

Quote: (09-10-2014 11:03 PM)Blue Streak Wrote:  

Quote: (09-10-2014 10:25 PM)HungWeiLo Wrote:  

I think you have misunderstood what I was saying. You don't have to be fashionable in order to have style. That is, you don't have to be rocking the latest trends in order to look good and present who you are to the world.

Fashion is about what colours are "in" this season, what style of footwear, what particular haircut. You don't have to indulge in any of these things to look good. You can adopt some if you like them and they suit you, but they aren't necessary.

Having style is about wearing things that make you look as good as possible and are congruent with who you are.

Your point was well taken, as Deluge points out Style is timeless, and within that, style is personal. I hate the idea of trends, the style I refer to (aside from it being my personal style) is largely timeless and wouldn't be out of place 20-40-60 years ago. Perhaps we must agree to disagree on the definition of fashion as I interpret fashion as the details of what one wears. A suit is stylish, but a within that suit you have different cuts, double vs. single vent, functional button holes, jetted pockets, lapel width, material and pattern. All these things are fashion choices (in my interpretation) that go towards the larger service of the suit as style. In the end I may just need to adapt to the definition of style as you suggest, but for now, the equivalency I can make is style strategy, fashion is tactics. Style is the end game and is timeless and personal, fashion accomplishes style season to season, year to year.

I have style (I don't mean that I've kidnapped Neil Strauss)

[Image: laugh2.gif]

I never thought of myself as being even remotely stylish until I started wearing more black. Deluge makes a great point about the overall nature of style. IMO, style reflects a certain life experience and self-reflection, as it also heavily depends on your body language and the way you wear your clothes, not just clothes themselves.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

Quote: (09-10-2014 10:41 PM)Laurifer Wrote:  

Ha this was the secretary today at the doctors office. I was dressed (quite sharply I might say) business causal in dark grey slacks, a slim fit purple dress shirt tucked in, dress shoes, rocking a new pair of aviators and a fresh haircut. I looked like a detective.

I noticed these past few days that I am treated very nicely when I am dressed up. The secretaries at the police station were top notch in helping me out with some paper work (almost everyone else in there were tattooed covered gang bangers and convicts). At the doctors the nurses seemed genuinely interested in what I was saying when I spoke with them casually. I also found myself getting more friendly smiles.

Overall, people (especially women) light up at the sight of you when you're well dressed. Especially when most men in this area that are my age look like this:

I've noticed the same thing since I started dressing better and improving my posture and projecting more self-assuredness. Women and men both pay more positive attention. It's very noticeable.

Quote: (09-11-2014 01:52 AM)iamdegaussed Wrote:  

When you're out and every new person you talk to has something to say about what you're wearing.

I already know I do, but this.

One of my favourite quotes from http://masculine-style.com/ - "The better you dress, the worse you can behave"

Feel free to PM me for wine advice or other stuff
ROK Article: 5 Reasons To Have Wine On A Date
RVF Wine Thread

Men of varying sexual and class orientation gawk at you for way too long. Must be a DC thing.

"I have refused to wear a condom all of my life, for a simple reason – if I’m going to masturbate into a balloon why would I need a woman?"

While prople are stealing a look, there must also be people in equal numbers who are laughing and mocking at you. Not because you look like a clown but to try to knock you down. Not everyone is this world is rooting for you for, they want you to fail and do everything they can to make sure you don't succeed. Going to an area where there is a reasonable proportion of well dressed, you don't get that.

I think even within a smaller environment like a Starbucks, there's a reasonable expectation that some of those suited down people secretly want you to fail, while an equal number think "style recognized" when they see someone on their level and immediately convey respect on that person for being in the same group that they are

The key thing to keep in mind about your style is that the way you dress in of itself is not what gets it wet, but rather what it communicates to girls about what kind of man you are.

What exactly is communicated depends on what your style is and who the target audience is, but one thing all successful styles have in common is that they tell girls that you "know what's up". I've never met a well-dressed man who was socially unaware, same goes for women.