rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Meeting new people (not just girls)

Well, those of you who have read some of my posts before may know that I'm in a bit of a weird situation. I'm 18, but doing my schooling online and without a driver's license. Therefore, I have literally no friends whatsoever within biking distance. I am working on getting my license, but my parents are not financially well off, and apparently auto insurance for young men my age is incredibly expensive.

That being said, I just need a way to meet other people my age, preferably a bit older (early 20's). School is not an option, as there is no way I can go to a public school without destroying my credits and plan for the future. I am working on getting a job, though even big chains are very stingy hiring in my area. What other avenues can I explore, keeping in mind I'm still limited to my bike for the time being? I'm more interested in making a couple of friends, rather than hook-ups. I can't stay in this damn house with my mother any longer, I need to get out for at least a few hours a day. Before you ask, yes I do go to a gym, but unfortunately, the guys there are all in the 30's and 40's, and there are a few guys my age who work out, but they are in a little clique together.

Oh, and another complication. My town is basically 10 miles of highway with some strip malls running down it. So no town center or anything like that.

What are your hobbies?

Quote: (09-01-2014 12:55 PM)JoyStick Wrote:  

What are your hobbies?

I like metal music, working out, video games, partying, and mostly everything guys my age are into (besides sports, I could care less about football or baseball or basketball).

Have you got any savings to move out? Any relatives in better locations that you could live with for a while? Are there any cities near you that you could get by on with a part time job whilst still having enough time to study or if your education is all online, could you save some money then move to a cheap country aborad?

Why don't you have any friends close by? Did you not go to a public high school before taking online classes? Are you in a new town?

Do you play an instrument? You can get a band together and have practice sessions at your house. You can recruit people through Craigslist. Just post an ad saying you want to start a band. It would help with the ladies too.

Talk to the guys at your gym. The older guys and the guys your age. You could ask them for workout tips or diet tips or something. Just start putting yourself out there a little at a time, maybe y'all will find some common ground. See if the kids your age play the same video games you do, you can bust out some smack talk and brag about your super mario skills. If they seem cool, ask them if they know of any house parties coming up or something.

Is there any cool cycling trails around you. You could see if there's a meetup.com group for cyclists in your town. Find out when or where they usually go riding.

I read in another thread that your dad write Christian books... Do you go to church? See if there's any type of youth group in your church and check it out and see if it something you'd want to join.

Keep looking for a job and don't be too picky if you don't have experience. A lot of fast food chains will hire pretty much anyone as long as you don't have any felonies. There will be a lot of people your age working fast food that you can become friends with.

Volunteer! Is there a humane society near you? Go walk some dogs. There's always college hotties volunteering at animal shelters. They don't have time for their own dogs so they often will come and spend time with dogs that need it.

Good luck man.

Quote: (09-01-2014 02:44 PM)JoyStick Wrote:  

Why don't you have any friends close by? Did you not go to a public high school before taking online classes? Are you in a new town?

Do you play an instrument? You can get a band together and have practice sessions at your house. You can recruit people through Craigslist. Just post an ad saying you want to start a band. It would help with the ladies too.

Talk to the guys at your gym. The older guys and the guys your age. You could ask them for workout tips or diet tips or something. Just start putting yourself out there a little at a time, maybe y'all will find some common ground. See if the kids your age play the same video games you do, you can bust out some smack talk and brag about your super mario skills. If they seem cool, ask them if they know of any house parties coming up or something.

Is there any cool cycling trails around you. You could see if there's a meetup.com group for cyclists in your town. Find out when or where they usually go riding.

I read in another thread that your dad write Christian books... Do you go to church? See if there's any type of youth group in your church and check it out and see if it something you'd want to join.

Keep looking for a job and don't be too picky if you don't have experience. A lot of fast food chains will hire pretty much anyone as long as you don't have any felonies. There will be a lot of people your age working fast food that you can become friends with.

Volunteer! Is there a humane society near you? Go walk some dogs. There's always college hotties volunteering at animal shelters. They don't have time for their own dogs so they often will come and spend time with dogs that need it.

Good luck man.

Thanks for the advice. I really do want to start a band, my area is full of country music and hip hop, so it might be hard, but I'll definitely try.

I was in a similar boat for a number of years growing up, unfortunately until you are physically able to re-locate meeting new people could be difficult. I would put more emphasis on self-improvement at this point, do things to increase your value as a man and to make your life more interesting in general. That way once you are in a different place, it will be easier to socialize with new people. You mentioned that you are into metal music and working out, good, these are some things to start with. If my experience was any indication, many people in small, isolated areas tend to be obese and with major health problems, so you are already ahead of the game. (I can only imagine where I would be now if I had access to this forum at 18).

I would develop some new hobbies. I always recommend foreign languages as it literally opens new worlds to people and challenges you mentally like nothing else. Spanish, Russian, and Portuguese are the most popular here for obvious reasons, but pick anything you're interested in. I know someone who learned Finnish for no other reason than he liked the music (if you're familiar with Scandinavian metal I'm sure you'll understand why). I would also read through Roosh's book reviews and start reading through ones you find interesting. Being able to talk about more than sports will make you stand out vis-à-vis your peers.

Basically just take in the advice of the members here and continue to work on improving yourself. This period won't last forever and your situation will eventually improve. We're here to help.

I'm in the same boat as you right now mane, about a month ago I decided to stop talking to my "friends". I don't regret it, but shit is boring right now mane.

Endure.

Quote: (09-01-2014 05:21 PM)Brian Boru Wrote:  

I was in a similar boat for a number of years growing up, unfortunately until you are physically able to re-locate meeting new people could be difficult. I would put more emphasis on self-improvement at this point, do things to increase your value as a man and to make your life more interesting in general. That way once you are in a different place, it will be easier to socialize with new people. You mentioned that you are into metal music and working out, good, these are some things to start with. If my experience was any indication, many people in small, isolated areas tend to be obese and with major health problems, so you are already ahead of the game. (I can only imagine where I would be now if I had access to this forum at 18).

I would develop some new hobbies. I always recommend foreign languages as it literally opens new worlds to people and challenges you mentally like nothing else. Spanish, Russian, and Portuguese are the most popular here for obvious reasons, but pick anything you're interested in. I know someone who learned Finnish for no other reason than he liked the music (if you're familiar with Scandinavian metal I'm sure you'll understand why). I would also read through Roosh's book reviews and start reading through ones you find interesting. Being able to talk about more than sports will make you stand out vis-à-vis your peers.

Basically just take in the advice of the members here and continue to work on improving yourself. This period won't last forever and your situation will eventually improve. We're here to help.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I'll focus on getting ripped and learning Spanish this year, and then next year be ready to own FSU, slut capital of Florida.