rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Getting through Calculus class

It's been sometime since I posted here, but I thought I'd ask for some advice. I'm taking Calculus I, after auditing the class for a month during the summer, the class is pretty such setup like this:

1. Traditional lecture - mostly going through crap on the board and even more boring shit on the screen

2. Homework - it's online and always due a week after being assigned, it's no worry to me, as it's a do or die mentality, for me

3. Quizzes - we have them a week after

4. Tests - one for every chapter, I believe they are every three or four weeks

In any event, I'm not concerned about the homework aspect - I have a big ass sketchbook, which I use to do the problems on (basically blank paper), I'm worried that, having to go through a shitload of math problems, I want to make sure that, if I see a problem on a quiz or test, I know how the fuck to solve it, are there any good pointers, one could give me? I really want to pull an A from this class, as it would boost my self-esteem, and show both my friends and parents, I'm not a dumb ass (an image, I'm always trying to shed daily).

Game - Well, it's a Calculus class, so we have alot of guys, but like three or four girls, and they sit in the back, I know one girl from class sits in the cafeteria, kind of cute, asian girl, we talked on the way back from class, she seemed nervous, because she had not done some of the problems on the board since like two years ago, naturally, I told her I'm always up for studying with someone else, and we kind of talked in mixed company later in the cafe. I found out she is a feminist, so I'm kind of leery pursuing her.

Quote: (08-28-2014 11:17 PM)andy Wrote:  

It's been sometime since I posted here, but I thought I'd ask for some advice. I'm taking Calculus I, after auditing the class for a month during the summer, the class is pretty such setup like this:

1. Traditional lecture - mostly going through crap on the board and even more boring shit on the screen

2. Homework - it's online and always due a week after being assigned, it's no worry to me, as it's a do or die mentality, for me

3. Quizzes - we have them a week after

4. Tests - one for every chapter, I believe they are every three or four weeks

In any event, I'm not concerned about the homework aspect - I have a big ass sketchbook, which I use to do the problems on (basically blank paper), I'm worried that, having to go through a shitload of math problems, I want to make sure that, if I see a problem on a quiz or test, I know how the fuck to solve it, are there any good pointers, one could give me? I really want to pull an A from this class, as it would boost my self-esteem, and show both my friends and parents, I'm not a dumb ass (an image, I'm always trying to shed daily).

Game - Well, it's a Calculus class, so we have alot of guys, but like three or four girls, and they sit in the back, I know one girl from class sits in the cafeteria, kind of cute, asian girl, we talked on the way back from class, she seemed nervous, because she had not done some of the problems on the board since like two years ago, naturally, I told her I'm always up for studying with someone else, and we kind of talked in mixed company later in the cafe. I found out she is a feminist, so I'm kind of leery pursuing her.

I'm going to quote our friend Victor Pride here - "do the work."

Most people will find basic calculus to be boring. I did not, but I am an outlier.

What's the point of calculus? It's a system for describing and analyzing the changes in sequences of values (in particular the changes of functions).

There's a table of

Almost any Calc I problem is going to involve either (a) producing the derivative of an analytic function (represented as a value y resulting from computations on an abstract input value x) or (b) finding a real-value number corresponding to the x or y value for a function, having the meaning of an intersection point or zero-derivative point.

Key to solving these problems is to figure out what they are asking for, then finding what derivative operation is necessary to get there. You will also be asked to come up with functions that describe a problem space, then find a derivative = 0 point on that function...if you get the function wrong you won't succeed in solving it. They will try to trick you with word games that obscure what's being asked, or rewriting equations/functions in a way that obscures pattern-matching to the known derivative expressions.

I would advise memorizing the derivative table (d x^2 / dx = 2x, etc) and practice writing functions that describe a relationship.

All that stuff with limits and proving the derivative relationships is blackboard masturbation. The real power and use is in finding inflection points and stationary points in functions so you can optimize a problem space.

Quote:Quote:

I found out she is a feminist, so I'm kind of leery pursuing her.

I'd be done right there. Find some girl who isn't invested in a male-hating philosophy and doesn't have "I will fuck your life up" written all over her.

Oh how I hated that course. With a passion. I don't know how I passed. I think it was luck.

Why are you taking calculus if it's hard for you?

This should be in the newbie forum.

Calc I is a bullshit class, right beside all the other bullshit classes you have to take to get your bullshit degree. I'm not a hater, I graduate with a business degree in December. I can count on less than one hand the classes that actually added value to my life. StumbleUpon, RVF, and Google can give you more knowledge than your standard state school.

Quote: (08-29-2014 12:26 AM)redbeard Wrote:  

Exactly.

Why would I want to deadlift my body weight? It's hard.

Quote: (08-28-2014 11:17 PM)andy Wrote:  

how the fuck to solve it, are there any good pointers, one could give me?
Im in the STEM field, i had to take calculus 1,2,3 and 4 plus nowadays i tutor this shit.
Youre the type of guy that just likes to complain or talk about how much you want to study instead of just sitting down and putting in work. (I had many students like this)

You dont enjoy this class not because its calculus per say, you dont enjoy for the same reason everyone else does, they dont understand it.
If you understand a class, you will like it.

My number one advice would be to go to class pay attention and ask your teacher the stuff you dont understand, even if that means interrumpting the class, even if you think your classmates will hate you for it.
But dont ask stuff that youre already suppose to understand from past classes, thats why its so important to study after every new class, dont let all the info get piled up, cause its all a progression you have to learn A to understand B and B before C and so on.

Quote: (08-29-2014 12:26 AM)redbeard Wrote:  

Nothing worth having comes easy?

Besides what Badger said...

The teacher makes all the difference in calculus classes. The first time I took Calculus I, I was completely lost because I had this Russian professor who explained shit as if we were all third year math majors, instead of using examples and explanations we could actually relate to. I think 1/3 of the class passed. I dropped a month in after I got a 40% on my first midterm. Bear in mind that I'm quite good at math; I'd always gotten As in high school (and I went to a rigorous school) and I aced the SAT math section, etc. This guy simply could not teach lower level math, and he was just a general fucktard. He'd tell us we needed to know certain trig identities, for instance, then put different ones on the test. Cocksucker. Funny thing is I heard he's a great teacher for Calc III.

My second professor was awesome. I got through it easily with a B+, and I only got that B+ because I was lazy about getting my homework in on time. The class wasn't any easier, he just knew how to teach and gave us tests that actually had to do with calculus, not peripheral shit like how good we were at torturing trig equations.

So, if your teacher sucks and it isn't working for you, you need to find someone who can teach you. Your school must have some kind of math lab where you can get help for free. Go there, find a TA you like and just latch on to them.

Don't miss classes, ever. If you do you're going to be lost the whole next class.

I'm not sure whether you're in high school or college but the same advice applies here: "Get the professor to know your name and be able to identify you out of the entire class".

I can see how this would be counter-intuitive but you seem to have a genuine desire to learn. If the professor knows YOU then you have considerably more options for learning and can open up a one-on-one dialogue with the professor (I don't include the TAs since most of mine could barely speak English when I was in college). In a huge lecture hall the best tool you can possibly have is making sure the professor knows who you are; you can achieve this by going up to him after class or answering poignant questions during class. I pulled mine off in Stats (I did my Calculus class requirements during high school) but the professor knew who I was because I wound up being a spectacular yet funny dick during a section about probability.

If nothing else, make sure you go to your teacher's/professor's office hours and build a one-on-one rapport with him. He'll be more willing to help once he realizes that you're more of a person and less of a number on his course roster.

-Hawk

Software engineer. Part-time Return of Kings contributor, full-time dickhead.

Bug me on Twitter and read my most recent substantial article: Regrets

Last Return of Kings article: An Insider's Guide to the Masculine Profession of Software Development

Quote: (08-29-2014 02:30 AM)weambulance Wrote:  

Bear in mind that I'm quite good at math; I'd always gotten As in high school (and I went to a rigorous school) and I aced the SAT math section, etc.

He'd tell us we needed to know certain trig identities, for instance, then put different ones on the test. Cocksucker.
School math is about memorizing the procedure, step 1) identify the variables step 2) analize the function step 3) and so on...
That has nothing to do with being good at math or being smart, people get lost in college because they know how to but they dont understand why.
Thats why its so important to keep asking why to everything in theoretical classes.

I can pretty much teach myself any subject nowadays, it has nothing to do with the teacher being good or bad, its about learning how to use reason instead of doing things mechanically.

Quote: (08-29-2014 02:58 AM)HawkWrites Wrote:  

In a huge lecture hall the best tool you can possibly have is making sure the professor knows who you are; you can achieve this by going up to him after class or answering poignant questions during class.
This sounds like the type of girl stuff that we complain so much about in here.

Do hundreds of exercises until you have seen every possible variant.

The same applies to physics, chemistry and anything with numbers in it.

Quote: (08-29-2014 12:39 AM)BadgerHut Wrote:  

Why would I want to deadlift my body weight? It's hard.

Actually deadlifting your own bodyweight is easy and most healthy men could do this for at least one rep with no prior training.

Quote: (08-29-2014 03:58 AM)dog24 Wrote:  

Quote: (08-29-2014 02:30 AM)weambulance Wrote:  

Bear in mind that I'm quite good at math; I'd always gotten As in high school (and I went to a rigorous school) and I aced the SAT math section, etc.

He'd tell us we needed to know certain trig identities, for instance, then put different ones on the test. Cocksucker.
School math is about memorizing the procedure, step 1) identify the variables step 2) analize the function step 3) and so on...
That has nothing to do with being good at math or being smart, people get lost in college because they know how to but they dont understand why.
Thats why its so important to keep asking why to everything in theoretical classes.

Yeah, acing every bit of math I saw for 13 years before college has nothing to do with my intelligence or aptitude for math. And you're secure saying that without any knowledge of the nature of my education. I guess you haven't been using your logic training much lately? You're rusty.

Quote:Quote:

I can pretty much teach myself any subject nowadays, it has nothing to do with the teacher being good or bad, its about learning how to use reason instead of doing things mechanically.

Congratulations. Now shelve the solipsism and recognize that most people are not like you.

Are you seriously suggesting that the teacher plays no part in a student's success? That's laughable.

One thing a teacher needs to be able to do is step out of his own shoes and look at things from the student's point of view. You might want to work on that.

How about instead of calling him lazy for not wanting to work hard, which may or may not be the case, you try giving him reasons why he should want to work hard? Why, exactly, should he be motivated to learn calculus besides to get required credit? What value will it add to his life? When might he use it?

You tell him to ask why. Well, answer the very first question yourself: why should he, or anyone else, give two shits about calculus in the first place?

Why do you get butthurt? I dont care if youre smart or not.

Im trying to give him advice based on what i have seen on my students.
Ive tutored kids who were already taking regular classes plus private lessons and then coming to me to teach them. All for just one subject, the problem was that they werent paying attention to the theory, they just wanted to solve a TON of exercises in the least amount of time possible without understanding any of them, following the idea that if i do every possible exercise out there i will get an A.

I dont see the point in arguing on the importance of calculus in life.

One tip I have for you is to the do homework the same night it is assigned. I made the mistake of waiting a day and then doing it. Math takes a lot of practice.

I'm not sure why most responses have been so lengthy.

Skim (or actually read, if time allows) the relevant chapter in the book prior to the lecture. This will allow you to absorb the lecture much better than if you went in cold.

Spend a lot of time on your homework. This is the most important part.

To really feel prepared, do some of the extra exercises in your textbook.

As for the girls, be the (non-pocket protector-wearing) guy who does all of the above and aces the tests and you'll intrigue them.

“Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate.”

I should've elaborated more.

What goal or yours requires you to take calculus?

Most hard sciences require many math-based classes beyond calculus I. If you are struggling now, you will struggle in later classes.

If your major only requires calculus I...what is it? Biology? If your major only requires level one math...it can't be that difficult and you might want to reconsider your career path.

A college degree should be viewed as a tool...a key to get you into a job or field. Not a conquest or benchmark like deadlifting.

Quote: (08-29-2014 03:58 AM)dog24 Wrote:  

Quote: (08-29-2014 02:58 AM)HawkWrites Wrote:  

In a huge lecture hall the best tool you can possibly have is making sure the professor knows who you are; you can achieve this by going up to him after class or answering poignant questions during class.
This sounds like the type of girl stuff that we complain so much about in here.

When you're in it for a grade sometimes you have to do what works. This does absolutely no harm to your character and can be the difference between passing and failing if you're teetering between two letter grades.

-Hawk

Software engineer. Part-time Return of Kings contributor, full-time dickhead.

Bug me on Twitter and read my most recent substantial article: Regrets

Last Return of Kings article: An Insider's Guide to the Masculine Profession of Software Development

I'm going to agree with everyone here: drop out of school and start a blog.

Tuthmosis Twitter | IRT Twitter

Actually do the homework, first of all. Go through each problem until you get the correct answer and understand how to do the problem. Search on youtube for 'PatrickJMT' and then the topic you're learning. For example if you are learning volumes by cross-sections search 'patrickjmt volumes by cross-sections'. Watch the videos. Don't fall behind on the topics and ask as many questions as you fucking can. It takes a lot more work than other types of math because it's abstract and hard to see how it applies to real life.

I got a 4 on the AP calc exam, which is passing, but I wish I'd done more homework.

Founding Member of TEAM DOUBLE WRAPPED CONDOMS

The Feynman principle.

The best way to learn a subject is to teach it to other people.

calc 1 is chump change. anything that requires just calc 1 is probably a weak major. our business majors required calc 1, and its nowhere near as versatile as an engineering degree.

you might want to consider what youll need to be employable after college

This site may help you:

http://betterexplained.com/
http://betterexplained.com/calculus/

Dude Calc 1 is the easiest class (Engineering major here)

How to get an A in Calc 1:

Do homework
Show up
Take test

How to ace exams in Calc 1:

Do homework
Show up
Laugh at test and professor
Do it
Get A

Rinse and repeat.

The key to math is :
1) Understanding the concept, how it works and why it works. If you can explain it to someone, even better.
2) Do the work.

Life is good