rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Duffle Bag-You Need One

As men of action, we are often on the go-ranging far and wide across cityscapes and countrysides in search of experiences, adventures, and women. We often spend the night away from home or find that events have taken an unexpected turn. This requires that we have “stuff”; logistical support supplying things we need along the way on our short distance trips that may last a day or two. And we need something to carry that “stuff” in. But what?
A daypack with shoulder straps is one possibility, but it has connotations of hiking or student book bags that aren’t mature or sophisticated and they are too small for our needs. Going to a full sized pack makes you look like a backpacker or homeless transient. Suitcases have a sort of middle class dorkiness and may raise the question of whether you are trying to move in with someone. Gym bags just look poverty.
The solution is the duffle bag. Not the military style duffle, the other type. They are large enough for our needs, yet small enough to carry comfortably. The good ones look cool and the top of the line ones look great. They are masculine. The right style can give off a “romantic adventurer “ vibe. They come in a variety of materials, sizes and styles so that anyone should be able to find one to fit their needs,budget, and taste. Ranging in price from $40 to $500+, duffles are available from many online sellers

Here are some examples:

Saks Nylon Duffle Bag from Overstock.com-$46
[Image: A.Saks-36-inch-Lightweight-Parachute-Nyl...208255.jpg]

Large Nylon Duffle by North Face from Ebags-$150
[Image: 205531_4_1?resmode=4&op_usm=1,1,1,&qlt=8...&align=0,1]

Medium Canvas Duffle by L.L. Bean-$60
[Image: 245389_115_41?rgn=0,0,1950,2250&scl=4.55...&id=XOJDT1]

Medium Canvas Duffle by Filson-$325
[Image: 70222-main-410.jpg]

Canvas Duffle by Orvis-$250
[Image: 5L08LS1BG.jpg]

Medium Leather Duffle by Filson-$255
[Image: 70362-main-242.jpg]

Large Leather Sportsman's Duffle by Duluth Pack-$475
[Image: leather-duffel-square.jpg]

Medium Italian Leather Duffle by Cenzo-$199
[Image: CenzoDufflePage2.jpg]

So once you have your new duffle how do you use it? Duffles are perfect for planned overnight stays at hotels or the house of girls or friends. I have a medium sized duffle and I can easily fit a complete change of clothes (shirt pants, socks, underwear ) and another pair of shoes plus personal hygiene kit in it. If I really stuff it, I can get in two changes of clothes. A larger duffle would easily accommodate two changes of clothes and probably three, thus becoming “weekender” bags.
Just as important though is the duffle’s use in unplanned stays and events. Anytime I go on a date, out to cold approach or to any social event, I carry a packed duffle in my vehicle.
It contains the following:

1 Shirt
1 Pants
1 pair socks
1 pair underwear
1 pair shoes (that go with above outfit if pair I’m wearing don’t)
1 belt (sometimes, if belt I’m wearing doesn’t go with spare outfit)

Personal Hygiene Kit- in a zip lock bag and placed in a plastic shopping bag to prevent leaks:

Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Floss
Mouthwash
Spare contact lenses
Contact lens case
Contact lens solution
Pack of wet wipes
Swiss Army Knife
Razor
Hair Gel
Cigarette lighter
Cologne

This will get you through an evening, a night and on through the next day and night if necessary without having to return home or buy anything. If an item of your clothing suffers a rip or a stain, you have a replacement. You have a full other set of clothing to change into the next day or night. You can refresh your oral hygiene and cologne as necessary.

In some cases you will need to practice operational security. If you’re on a date with a girl that just happens to turn into an allnighter or pick up a girl for a ONS, it won’t look good to whip out your packed luggage at her place. That would be a real spontaneity killer. In those cases I simply go to my vehicle and pull out my contact lens supplies and a toothbrush; if she raises an eyebrow I explain that I always carry these in the vehicle for emergency purposes. You can get away with this.

The medium sized bags are small enough to be carried on urban public transport, as a carryon on a flight or by hand if you need to walk, so the bags are quite versatile. Personally, my cheap nylon duffle has served me well, but I'm going to upgrade soon to a really nice canvas or leather bag that should last me for at least a decade

By the way, apparently both "duffle" and duffel" are considered correct spellings.

Buy a duffle- you won't regret it.

"If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there!- Captain Ron

Comrade, all that and more fits into a bugout / edc (every day carry) bag, which can be a two or three day backpack. Sure those are stylish, yet a little large for the purpose and most have no internal separators

No one says an edc can not be stylish. Hmm.

Good post.

I'm currently on a trip and my current Ralph Laurent Leather Duffel Bag wasn't large enough to pack all my things so I just bought a North Face Extra Large Nylon Duffle exactly like the one above pictured.

The RL leather one is good for city use and short weekend trips while the NF Duffle I'll be using more for international travel and outdoor adventures. Its more burly than my RL leather duffel so I don't need to worry about damaging the leather or ripping the insides with gear. Also, its lighter than a suitcase so you save some weight so you can pack more while traveling.

Yes both these bags are expensive but with proper care they should last me at least 10+ years so I find it a worthwhile investment. The RL leather duffel i expect to look better with age. Should also note that the NF duffel has a lifetime warranty.

great post!

Briggs and Riley has at least 3 bags that are good "weekenders" with well thought out design, class and durability. Prices are $120 to $230. I bought an expandable one recently and expect it to last for decades. I keep it half packed and throw in extras just before leaving for the night or weekend.

http://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Riley-Basel...+and+riley

I really like Duffle bags. I don't know if its considered the same or not but I also use ''weekender'' bags often. With a big opening that zips open at the top you can really stuff a lot into them. I recently used one for a 3 night trip and it held everything including a few button ups, hygiene kit, extra shoes, pants, a few things I bought on the trip etc. It's a medium size and is well below the limit of carry on bags so very convenient for that also. Good post, nice photos, there are some really nice designed bags out there. I used to not give a shit, but as I started to travel a lot more often I started to take notice. You definitely look more like an experienced traveler IMO when you have some matching nice bags instead of the big clunky old red piece of shit.

Excellent write up! I've been needing to get a better bag than the ~$20 crappy one I've got.

Team visible roots
"The Carousel Stops For No Man" - Tuthmosis
Quote: (02-11-2019 05:10 PM)Atlanta Man Wrote:  
I take pussy how it comes -but I do now prefer it shaved low at least-you cannot eat what you cannot see.

I want to get a duffle bag for the gym, but I want something that looks good. No black nylon bags for me.

I'm leaning towards a canvas or waxed canvas bag.

Style wise I'm thinking something like these, probably in navy.

What do you think?

[Image: $%28KGrHqJ,!ogE-0uYQw14BP5%289wNdIg~~60_57.JPG]

[Image: H-123-28-11-OS-BLKZOOM1.JPG]

[Image: herschel-duffle.jpg]

Yep, those are cool, but I think I want one with wheels for travel and combine with a specialized backup like the Minaal one: http://www.minaal.com/products/minaal-carry-on-bag. Anyone travels like that and what do you think of the Minaal bag? It is recommended by a lot of digital nomads.

Minaal has tons of cool features but it is $300 and has no style to it.

If I was going to backpack around the world staying in hotels and hostels and work online I'd consider it. But since I like to spend quite a bit of time in one location I'd rather pick up something that has some style, especially at that price point. But for your digital nomad who is always on the go it's probably a great choice.

I agree that duffels look superior but backpacks are so much more comfortable and easier to use!

Quote: (08-25-2014 11:05 PM)calihunter Wrote:  

Comrade, all that and more fits into a bugout / edc (every day carry) bag, which can be a two or three day backpack. Sure those are stylish, yet a little large for the purpose and most have no internal separators

Quote: (08-26-2014 11:13 AM)monster Wrote:  

I agree that duffels look superior but backpacks are so much more comfortable and easier to use!

I have a bugout bag which I keep at home; I've been into survivalism as a hobby for many years. I also have a daypack containing emergency supplies which I keep in my vehicle. Bugout bags have too many pockets and you look like you showed up ready for the Zombie Apocalypse.
I've used both a daypack and a large wilderness backpack in a pussy hunting context before I got a duffle, and my opinion is they are inferior to the duffle both in practical and style considerations for the situations I'm recommending the duffle for. Practically, it's just easier to be able to unzip the bag and have everything right there in a horizontal orientation than it is to root around down into a pack and keep having to pull things out and put them back in. And style, gentlemen, style- a good duffle lends to the image of a sophisticated man of the world

"If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there!- Captain Ron

Love that hideaway pocket for the shoes, I'm putting that on my list of must-have features.

Team visible roots
"The Carousel Stops For No Man" - Tuthmosis
Quote: (02-11-2019 05:10 PM)Atlanta Man Wrote:  
I take pussy how it comes -but I do now prefer it shaved low at least-you cannot eat what you cannot see.

Quote: (08-26-2014 10:58 AM)RioNomad Wrote:  

Minaal has tons of cool features but it is $300 and has no style to it.

If I was going to backpack around the world staying in hotels and hostels and work online I'd consider it. But since I like to spend quite a bit of time in one location I'd rather pick up something that has some style, especially at that price point. But for your digital nomad who is always on the go it's probably a great choice.

Sure yeah, I look at the duffel as an alternative to a suitcase though. If just for the gym or short trips to the beach, then I think something like you posted are excellent and stylish, all 3 of them.

I don't like traveling with a suitcase though, short trip or long trip. It really annoys me to lug it around. The duffels are great, but not optimal if they're heavy, so that is why the wheels come into play. I might consider just shipping stuff instead if I'm going from one country to another though. Hard to find a good compromise on style, size and ease of use. I had a cheap duffel with wheels, I think that is probably the best choice and then supplement with a smaller carry duffel.

The shape of that North Face duffel doesn't make sense really, but wow do I want one.

I have a cheap small duffle black/grey duffel style bag with a compartment on each side and one down the front, as well as a small soft pocket in the top for phone/watch. It's incredibly handy and it fits perfect on a plane and very easily in a car versus a suitcase. If I'm staying somewhere warm and only need a set of shoes and a pair of sandals I am pretty good at packing it so I have easily 3 days worth of clothes as well as trunks and hygiene stuff.

I don't recommend the plastic bag thing unless you're flying and only then does it make sense. Having a small toiletry bag is way more manly/classy. I also love that this cheap bag (I got for free as part of a big event) has held up so damn well and is so versatile. It's got a hard plastic handle that hooks so you can stuff a jacket or other thing to carry underneath it, and it also has a shoulder strap so I can sling it over my shoulder and have the bag hanging to the side or behind me.

I also have a nice leather bag that I got for free from a similar event that is not holding up quite as well but for some reason I always get compliments on it. I use this bag to have a couple extra toiletries and it pretty much is always packed with my side job-specific items (nice shoes, dress accessories, etc...) so I can just grab it and go straight to work. Clients, other workers, my employers, etc... all have raved about my bag and it's nowhere near as nice as the ones listed in this thread.

It's VERY useful for me to have these things packed and this thread has convinced me to just leave one of my bags in the trunk of my car packed and prepped for any event that might come up where I'd need an overnight bag. I was just recently talking to my smart friend about how he keeps a mini closet/toiletry setup in the trunk of his car because it's come in handy way more often than you'd think.

Read My Old Blog - Subscribe To My Old Blog
Top Posts - Fake Rape? - Sex With A Tranny? - Rich MILF - What is a 9?

"Failure is just practice for success"

Quote: (08-26-2014 02:16 AM)JoyStick Wrote:  

great post!

I knew it!!!

MDP

Part of me has always wanted a "baller" duffel bag like a Gucci or a LV. I see people on planes with that and it looks pretty dope overall. However, they are like 2 grand which is kind of ridiculous. However, if you're dressed well, these are the only kind of duffel bags that fit in with the rest of what you're wearing really.

This is more my speed, but still a bit spendy. I think it'd look dope with a flashy sportscoat when in an airport. Of course, there's the problem of having a baller bag and then flying coach.

http://killspencer.com/weekender/jacquar...r-3-1.html

[Image: jacquard_camo_weekender0.jpg]

I am currently using a Filson Medium Travel bag for a duffle, which is pretty good and I do get compliments on it all the time, but I'm kind of bored with it to be honest. The shape is a little more "square" versus longer rectangle when its more filled up.
[Image: 3408367217_b0cd9fe973_z.jpg]

For packing, they really are the best when you roll stuff up inside.

On the lower side of things, I recommend Herschel Supply Company. They have nice bags for about 100 bucks and under.

http://shop.herschelsupply.com/collectio...fle?page=3

Quote: (08-26-2014 01:03 PM)DJ-Matt Wrote:  

Love that hideaway pocket for the shoes, I'm putting that on my list of must-have features.

I agree. Anyone have recommendations on a stylish, medium-sized duffle with a shoe pocket? I've been wanting to buy one for some time now to use for the gym or going on one-night trips around Japan.

Carpet bags

in more masculine colors

http://www.rogeroates.com/shop/28-carpet...44LjEyNnww

[Image: carpet-bags.jpg]

This one you can bring on a plane.

http://www.tombihn.com/travel_bags/aeronaut30.html

[Image: aeronaut30_01b.jpg]

Quote: (08-26-2014 06:40 PM)Carlos100 Wrote:  

Quote: (08-26-2014 01:03 PM)DJ-Matt Wrote:  

I agree. Anyone have recommendations on a stylish, medium-sized duffle with a shoe pocket? I've been wanting to buy one for some time now to use for the gym or going on one-night trips around Japan.

I've used a duffel before with a hideaway pocket for shoes, I think its a stupid idea. To me it makes more sense to just put your shoes in a grocery bag or something and then inside the duffel.

With the hideaway picket your still taking up space in the main compartment of the bag but now theres just an extra zipper and sleeve on the side of the bag which really just adds extra weight and now instead of having a clear big compartment, theres this big rectangular piece of fabric in the way. Also if you carry boots, they wont fit.

If your walking around on the street would you want the soles to be touching the fabric of the inside of your bag? You'd put it in a grocery bag probably and then put it in that sleeve anyways so why not just keep it simple and do away with that silly sleeve.

The bag I used with a sleeve was a cheap Nike bag I picked up for the gym but it ended up being too small for my needs anyways.

I definitely recommend the North Face Duffel. It comes in various sizes to accommodate your different needs and also comes with straps so that you can use it like a backpack for heavier loads, not to mention it looks manly as fuck.

As for the shape of the North Face Duffel, I think duffel bags have traditionally been cylinder shaped so North Face is just keeping that going. I think having a cylinder shape would actually make the bag more rugged but thats just my opinion (if you were to drop it down a hill or something it would just roll instead of take heavy abuse on the corners which would lead to a hole). The North Face duffel has been around for a really long time because it works. If it didn't then the company would have changed the design a long time ago.

When I was shopping for a large travelling duffel I was also looking at the Patagonia Black Hole Duffel Bag which unlike the North Face bag has a square base so if your really concerned about that aspect then that would probably be the best choice. The Patagonia bag is also a little bit lighter but I don't think its as durable as the North Face bag from the reviews I read.

Now addressing wheels, these two bags I just mentioned have straps that can make the bag turn into a back pack. Besides that, if your travelling then you'll likely put your bag onto a trolley at the airport, into a taxi, and then onto another trolley at the hotel.

If your really doing some adventure travelling then you'd throw it onto a donkey or something. Since the duffel bag doesn't have a rigid frame it can contour to the shape of what ever you place it on, for example the back of a motorcycle or donkey. Also these bags have loops you can use to fasten them onto something for example the exterior of a vehicle.

Anyways, this is a lot of writing for something as simple as a bag. Thats exactly what these bags are meant to be. Simple.

[Image: leather-duffel-square.jpg]

[Image: c3ba152a-909a-4fea-ae4b-c69f00c6060a_zps0429a314.jpg]

Lol half of these are hideous, and half are nice. The Orvis, Filson and all leather ones are nice, the rest are not. JUST SAY NO TO NYLON.

Synthetic fibers are helplessly plebeian. Your best bet is canvas, leather or both. I'd probably go for a canvas one with leather accents. I'm concerned that leather would get dirty too easily, but I could be wrong - anyone here use an all leather one?

Also I recall Everlane has some decent affordable options.

Nice post.

Hahaha, I thought of Hitman too! Even though it's been several years since I played it.

Great post, I'm digging the Cenzo one. The Leathery look with slim handles are usually my favourites.