rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Tips for starting a new job

I feel like it would be helpful to get a thread of Redpill advice on beginning a new professional job for all the job-seekers out there.

I recently accepted an offer for an engineering job and would like some tips on how to start strong and make the most of my first month there.

Here are some suggestions that I've compiled so far:
1.Go in ready to learn
-Ask a lot of insightfull questions
-Listen intently
2.Get early wins (Secure early achievements)
3.Build a network of trusted colleagues
-Befriend a veteran who knows what they’re doing
4.Take a lot of notes
5.Be very outgoing
6.Introduce yourself to everyone
7.Be organized and set good habits
8.Go the extra mile on every task
-Strive for excellence in everything you do
9.Mimic the top performers
10.Turn off your phone and don’t take it out all day
11.Wake up (and show up) early every morning

1. Figure out where the bathroom is.

I'd actually recommend holding off on the questions early on. Spend a lot of time listening, ask for clarification, but don't try to ask insightful questions until you know the lay of the land.

The people you think are top performers after your first week probably aren't the ones you're going to be looking up to after 6 months or two years on the job so be careful about who you try and emulate right away. Same goes for building a trusted network. Building a network takes time - you won't know who's really important and who you can trust right away. In my experience it takes about two years to really learn how an organization functions. Be friendly and don't take sides.

The most important relationships are going to be the ones with your boss, your admins, your peers and the people a tier below you. Be extra nice to admins. Your job initially is going to be learning how to get things done and that almost always involves talking to other people - usually an admin. They also tend to know where the bodies are buried and who you should ask favors from and who you shouldn't.

Good stuff so far.

The only thing I'd dispute is the turning off of your cell phone all day; depending on your position, being able to quickly respond to calls/texts/emails could be seen as a positive. From my experience in corporate America, a large number of people will take a least a day to respond, so getting back to someone within minutes or hours could be a good way to set yourself apart from the get-go.

I would definitely leave it on vibrate/silenced, and keep it out of sight during meetings and meals, but otherwise it wouldn't hurt to have it on and with you during the work day.

The Gervais Principle by Venkatesh Rao. Read it now. Read it again in a few years.

You're welcome.

If you're me you have no reception in your office (fucking Verizon) so you're all-set in that regard to the alternative of turning off your phone.

1. Questions are good; it shows you're learning
2. Don't be too eager; the managers might think you're gunning for their jobs and that will harm you in the long-run
3. Hell yeah build a network; get in close with the guys doing the existing work since you can learn from them
4. Taking a lot of notes is determined by your medium (notebook, tablet, etc)
5. Agreed with outgoing; nothing opens people at work better than an outgoing and fun individual with whom they feel they can identify
6. Same as #5
7. Organization is important and keeping your shit together can be the key to success depending on the company
8. If you mean kissing-ass, don't do this; the people around you can actually fight against you to prevent you from advancing here
9. This really depends; if it's body language and personality, go for it.
10. Agreed fully. Not being distracted by your phone can only help you.
11. Well... yeah.

-Hawk

Software engineer. Part-time Return of Kings contributor, full-time dickhead.

Bug me on Twitter and read my most recent substantial article: Regrets

Last Return of Kings article: An Insider's Guide to the Masculine Profession of Software Development

Remember you are entering a new environment, so don't try to act like you're the shit. Unless you are the boss. And even then I wouldn't do it - destroys teamwork.

I'd listen and observe and see how the environment operates, who the key players are and start to befriend them.

I'd go easy on social media and asking about vacation right away. It might seem like common sense but I am constantly surprised by the lack of common sense some people have. Give the impression you are there to contribute and not to mooch.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

In your very first private chats with coworkers or bosses they will spill their guts to you about what they really think. I don't know why this is exactly. Maybe because they want to show off, or because you're the new guy and they don't have "co-worker" labeled on you in their minds yet and have let their guard down. But in these first cruical talks they will often give out the real truth about what they think about the company or the job.

After a few days or a week with you they will snap out of it and tow the line.

You have to get them alone somehow, for at least 15 minutes uninterrupted. Best is to go for a drive just the two of you, or walk to lunch across town if no driving situations are available to you.

Pay the fuck attention in these first chats and write down what they say for future reference, because you're never going to hear them say it again.

Some very good points here. I'm about to start a new job next week after spending my whole career at another place before.

This being a game forum, I would add:

1. Don't shit where you eat: http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-7935.html

Research your new employer

MDP

Just become buddies with everyone so they like you and won't give you a hard time.

The less time a person spends out if the office, the more important they are.

Don't use your phone.

Keep you mouth shut and listen to people's opinions, your opinion does not matter.

Cattle 5000 Rustlings #RustleHouseRecords #5000Posts
Houston (Montrose), Texas

"May get ugly at times. But we get by. Real Niggas never die." - cdr

Follow the Rustler on Twitter | Telegram: CattleRustler

Game is the difference between a broke average looking dude in a 2nd tier city turning bad bitch feminists into maids and fucktoys and a well to do lawyer with 50x the dough taking 3 dates to bang broads in philly.

Great thread! Here's my thoughts and feel free to PM if you need specific situational advice. Most of this is obvious, but you'd be surprised at how often we forget when under stress:

Keep track of the commitments you make and make sure you fulfill them, i.e. don't be a flake on things and hope they don't notice. If you're having problems and think you might not make a deadline, ask for help or let the person affected know as soon as possible.

Get organized if you're not already. Find something that works. I was the worst, and it was like pulling teeth, but now I'm on top of things and people notice.

Don't be afraid to say "I don't know" and always add "but I'll find out"

Look for ways to make your bosses jobs easier, not harder.

When you're dying to tell someone they're wrong or there's a better way to do something, rephrase your thought as a leading question: "So if we do x in this situation, should we also consider y" or "What is our plan if y happens" because it respectfully makes it look like they're part of the "correct" solution. This way they think "rkIE is sharp, he knows what's important" instead of "He's always telling me what to do and trying to look good"

You have a powerful get out of jail free card - ignorance. Don't abuse it, but use it if you have to. "I didn't know we did things that way around here, I promise never to gossip about Suzy's big ass ever again"

Show up before your boss, leave after him.

Pick your battles. Put effort into where it counts, you probably wont have the time and energy to do everything that comes to mind.

This had some good advice: http://www.returnofkings.com/2710/8-esse...-workplace

Good luck and keep us posted!

Unsure if this will also apply to the engineering world but coming from the banking & finance world my number one piece of advice which I haven't seen mentioned thus far is to go out on as many staff nights out as possible, particularly if senior guys will be there. If you are a cool down to earth dude, who doesn't turn into a raging asshole after a few drinks, getting drunk on a night out with fellow colleagues will be the fastest & most efficient way to achieve #3 on your list as well as getting you in with the senior dudes.

Fair enough a lot of nights will just fizzle out to nothing. But if there are any senior people in your firm who are (a) male and (b) tick one or more of the following you are quids in:

- a bit of a playboy
- recently divorced
- like a drink/night out/chasing tail.

If any of the above apply you will eventually will end up on an all night bender session with them at some point. Most folk will inevitably disappear off after one or two drinks, particularly on a week night, eventually leaving the hardcore guys for a night out. All you got to do is stick it out for the long haul, just be chill and you will end up with some quality exposure to the senior movers and shakers. After a few drinks they will forget all concept of rank and file and it will just become a night out with the boys. The corporate bullshit goes out the window, you will likely be (inadvertantly) let into some insider knowledge that you otherwise would not have heard, and being a newbie, at least one of them will inevitably play the mentor role and 'take you under their wing' for the evening and give you a stackload of straight talking (if slightly drunken) advice.

You would be amazed what one good 'lads' night out with the right guys can do for you and your career. No joke it can be more valuable and achieve more groundwork in contact building than 2 years worth of networking and ass kissing the conventional fashion. It will be more than worth the pain of the hangover the following day...

It is also pretty much the main if not the only reason how I got my job out here in Singapore

Irish

Quote: (08-20-2014 11:16 AM)IvanDrago Wrote:  

Some of the suggestions will not do anything except get your dick run in to the dirt.

Sounds painful. Which ones?