rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

St. John's Newfoundland Datasheet

Having a bit of time on my hands and inspired by this thread:
http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-9115.html

…I lit out for St. John's, Newfoundland for a bit of a lost weekend. My findings are below:

CAVEATS:
I was only there for 4 days. This was in the summer so Memorial University was not in session. This was an average weekend. No real festivals or special events. I come from a major North American city, so my perceptions (and style of game) are are informed by that. Your results may vary.

THE BASICS:
St. Johns is a quaint and scenic little city with a slight 'industrial shithole' edge since it's a major shipping center, and the docks are smackdab right in the downtown area so you get a mix of the touristy and the utilatarian in one sweep of the eye, so eyesore warehouses and construction coexists with colorfully painted row houses. Like Reykjavik, nightlife is disproportionally large for a city of its size. For what its worth, St. John's boasts more bars per capita then any city in Canada.

There are 3 mains streets of interest, all close by and parallel to each other:

Duckworth street: mostly cute shops and restaurants, worth walking down during the day. Has a great chocolate shop/factory. Good for day game.

George street: the epicenter of nightlife here with a huge concentration of bars and clubs of every kind, from grotty punk bars to posh lounges to EDM dance clubs. And lots of traditional Irish pubs with live music. This place gets crazy at night.

Water street: a bit less lively than George street, but still with some cool bars, lounges and restaurants, a bit of an older more upscale vibe here.

Another thing that's a must do if you go to St. John's is a walk up to Signal Hill. The view is stunning, we even saw some late season icebergs out in the bay.

I've heard the weather is usually pretty touch and go here, and even in the summers, it's often cloudy and rainy. I, however, lucked into a weekend of great sunny weather.

FOOD:
The Duke of Duckworth: amazing fish and chips. Get it Newfoundland style with dressing and gravy.

The Big R: also good fish n' chips. But even better fishcakes.

Fixed: nice rustic coffee shop. I did an insta-date here. Her suggestion.

Also, check out the late night food truck at the south end of George Street. Perfect for those afterhours munchies. Had a nice with chat with the Ukrainian guy working there. Get the 'wedgies' which are some sort of potato, cheese, bacon concoction. Very addictive.

VENUES:
I hit a lot of venues in the short period I was there, but it was just the tip of the iceberg. Like I said, there are A LOT of bars here:

Christian's
Tiny bi-level dive bar with an interesting mix of locals and tourists. Met some cool navy divers here. Made out with an hb here. Just totally random drunken stuff happens here.

Allure
Dance club with a younger crowd, girls seem to come here to dance in groups to deafening music. It never really got crowded though and that kind of killed the vibe; the DJ would always be playing super high energy party music...and there would be 10 people on the dancefloor.

Blue
Restaurant/bar with a posher, older, artsy crowd. Good place for a pre-game drink and to get some intelligence on the night. I glommed onto some social circles here that helped for later on in the weekend. Good place to have on lock.

Murray Premises Courtyard
Cool slightly-upscale outdoor bar/restaurant. Definitely some talent here (mixed in with some older folks). Main drawback is that it closes too early (last call is around 10 or 11). Took an insta-date here.

Sundance Bar and Grill
Nice outdoor setup. Came here early for a drink, so I don't know what its like later. Opened an athletic Manitoban HB here, had a nice convo. Nice body, but a bit of a manjaw, so it was catch and release.

Martini Bar
St. John's version of a bottle service club. Was very crowded. I could see pulling here. Some bitch shields, but that comes with the territory.

The Levee/Bull and Barrel/CTBGs, etc.
A complex of grotty punk and alternative clubs frequented by the tattooed and pierced set. Saw a great metal show here. Smoking area out front is great logistically. A lot of punky squatter-looking chicks here if there's your thing.

Rob Roy/Konfusion
2 places in one: Rob Roy is a traditional Irish Pub with live rock bands, Konfusion is the EDM club upstairs. Older crowd at Rob Roy, younger crowd at Konfusion. Logistically, I could see how this could be a poosy vortex but it was late when I got here, and I came up empty.

Yellow Belly Brewery & Public House
Cool spot where they brew their own beer. Logistics seemed good with many levels and rooms. But there was wedding there when I dropped by, so I couldn't really get a sense of it.

The Ship Inn
Cool hipster atmosphere just off the main drag. I randomly saw some great indie bands here, but it was filled with chin-stroking musos and hardly any girls.

The Inn of Olde
Near the scenic Quidi Vidi fishing village, this joint is off the beaten path, but has oodles of character, with all kinds of weird vintage trinkets hanging everywhere, and an old woman manning the bar. Not good for gaming but good for an experience and a laugh.

GAME / GIRLS:
In a 4 day period, I did over 50 approaches, day and night game. I was approaching so much that were 2 occasions in which I approached someone I had approached earlier but I didn't remember.

And keep in mind: This was an average weekend, no festivals or special events going on. Also, this was the summer, so school was not in session, so maybe a slower period.

I got 1 make out and 2 insta-dates (3 separate girls, hb7s). All were pulled via indirect day game. I probably could've converted one or two of these into lays if I had stayed longer.

In my view, there are the 2 major challenges keeping St. Johns, Newfoundland from being a 'poosy paradise':

RATIOS:
Most places I went to were sausage fests. And most of the men were built like trucks. Non-threatening, friendly guys for the most part, but even the hipsters were muscle bound or barrel chested. The guys didn't have much game, but were fairly aggressive approachers once the liquid courage kicked in. None of the clubs had any of face control ($5 to get in) so everywhere was swarming with thirsty dudes. Maybe the situation would be better if school were in session.

Now I'm usually not phased by bad ratios, but this was compounded by factor #2:

OBESITY:
Coming from a major metropolis with low obesity rates, the quality drop was precipitous.  This, of course, raised the value and bitch shields of the few attractive women there was, especially at night, when they were out-numbered by men (see ratio problem above). Also, lots of tattoos and piercings, which doesn't really bother me (these are slut-tell green lights to me) but I know some of you guys take umbrage. That's why I resorted more to day game, it was easier to snipe out my targets and bitch shields were lower.

CONCLUSION:
St. John's Newfoundland is great for scenery, food, partying and general quirky character, but not a good ROI poosy destination for the discerning gentleman. It has the infrastructure (lots of bars, restaurants, interesting things to do) to be a great city for game like Reykjavik but the talent is just not there. And we can blame the Northern American/western diet for this.

PS: I wanted to post some pics but I have no idea how. Am I supposed to throw stuff into Photobucket and link to it? F*ck that jazz…no time ; )

Bahahahah great post. I generally concur with this datasheet. It's the one city I have woken up at....and been like wtf in the morning.

Haha no surprise there, those chicks blow up due to the diet.

Our New Blog:

http://www.repstylez.com

I met a few folks I consider 7+ from Newfoundland, but that was in Calgary. A good looking girl from those parts suit my preferences very well, but it's tough to justify a trip up there without doing a stop in Halifax as well. And even then it would probably be during the annual festival on George St.

The model Natasha Henstridge ('Species') hails from Newfoundland, but when I was there, I was hard-pressed to find anyone above a 7.
Blame it on the Food Industrial Complex.