rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Home Security?

Home Security?

Without giving too much details, I had a near miss recently where it looked like some people were casing my place getting ready to break in, and might have had I not gotten home when I did.

Now, I'm a little paranoid, and looking at home security stuff.

Does anyone have experience with this, or know what the best options are? I travel for extended periods, so having eyes on my stuff while I'm gone would be a good idea. What system or product might be best?

Read my work on Return of Kings here.

Home Security?

Quote: (08-01-2014 09:13 AM)runsonmagic Wrote:  

Without giving too much details, I had a near miss recently where it looked like some people were casing my place getting ready to break in, and might have had I not gotten home when I did.

Now, I'm a little paranoid, and looking at home security stuff.

Does anyone have experience with this, or know what the best options are? I travel for extended periods, so having eyes on my stuff while I'm gone would be a good idea. What system or product might be best?

ADT is probably the best overall. Heck any Tyco Fire and security/Honeywell branded stuff and equipment is good stuff.

Beware of all these ametuer hour ones that subscribe you for 3 years and then you cannot cancel them without paying out the rest of your entire contract. Look any non ADT company up in the BBB before you pick one.

good luck

Dating Guide for Mainland China Datasheet
TravelerKai's Martial Arts Datasheet
1 John 4:20 - If anyone says, I love God, and hates (detests, abominates) his brother [in Christ], he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, Whom he has not seen.

Home Security?

I keep seeing and hearing advertisements for DIY systems that run off of cell networks. These guys are always advertised on radio http://simplisafe.com but the concept is copied by others. I always thought it would be fun to get a wireless camera and mic setup to pull a "Saw" on people lurking around my house, turn the mic on and be like "Hello, I want to play a game, yes you in the blue shirt"

Why do the heathen rage and the people imagine a vain thing? Psalm 2:1 KJV

Home Security?

Just so you guys are aware: it is illegal to set traps that would kill burglars. I am not saying that anyone is suggesting that but just be aware that it is against the law to set traps that kill people, even if they are breaking into your house.

Follow me on Twitter

Read my Blog: Fanghorn Forest

Home Security?

I second ADT. Brinks is an alright service if y'all have it around you. Pricy; sorta, but if you ever need it it'll pay for itself 10 fold. You can even get systems that alert the fire dept automatically for smoke/CO alarms, and those have saved a lot of property in my area. Of course, pending your stance on the issue, I always have a firearm somewhere in reach for when I'm home.

Home Security?

You could just get the ADT sign and get some fake cameras that plug in and have red lights and stuff.

Would be a lot cheaper and probably just as effective. If a burglar breaks in even with a security system they're going to get away with some stuff. An experienced burglar might be able to tell your system is fake though.

Founding Member of TEAM DOUBLE WRAPPED CONDOMS

Home Security?

Get two Rottweilers.

Home Security?

Quote: (08-02-2014 02:45 AM)Chaos Wrote:  

Get two Rottweilers.

That's my solution too, but he said he's out traveling for extended periods a lot.

Sorry, nothing great pops into mind besides the alarm co. Security thru obscurity? Non-lethal trap that discharges multiple fire extinguishers and extremely loud sirens?

Home Security?

^ [Image: lol.gif] I think that's the best suggestion so far.

Home Security?

Quote: (08-02-2014 02:45 AM)Chaos Wrote:  

Get two Rottweilers.

Actually, this might work if you have someone you trust feed and walk the dogs while you're away. A relative or a bonded dog walker.

Home Security?

Yeah, unless the neighborhood baddies don't pay attention to signs, the security guy who set mine up told me that's all you really need. Whether it's installed or not they'll just move onto an easier target.

Foscam puts their PTZ cameras on sale often. Those are pretty nice, I stuck one in the corner of my big main room and can move it around and switch the night vision on and off while on vacay.

Team visible roots
"The Carousel Stops For No Man" - Tuthmosis
Quote: (02-11-2019 05:10 PM)Atlanta Man Wrote:  
I take pussy how it comes -but I do now prefer it shaved low at least-you cannot eat what you cannot see.

Home Security?

A couple of suggestions:

1. Invest in a safe. I'm not talking about those POS "Sentry" ones from Walmart. I've personally opened a couple of those in under 5 minutes. I'm talking about the 800+ pound safes from Liberty (Franklin level or above), or Fort Knox, the higher end Browning safes, etc. Once properly anchored to the floor, you have very little to worry about from 99.99% of thieves.

Get one LARGER than you think you "need." You will be surprised how quickly the space is used up.

2. Good exterior lighting. Thieves do not like being on stage. Lighting draws attention to your home and yard.

3. Simplisafe.com. I prefer this to the ADT systems. The key things that you want are cellular notifications, and a very loud siren both inside AND outside. The goal of an alarm system should be to protect the perimeter and to notify EVERYONE that the perimeter has been breached. Contrary to ADT's claims, police don't respond instantly when your alarm goes off, nor do 99.99999999% of police agencies have the capability to view your security cameras like they show on television.

4. Harden your house. Replace your stock "Kwickset" locks with heavy duty deadbolts. (I use the Medeco Maxum.) Replace all of the tiny screws that hold your lock strike plates with 4 inch screws that reach the studs of your door frames. In fact, replace your tiny strike plates with heavy duty four screw plates. (About 8$ at Lowes.) Most burglaries are accomplished by kicking in a door. It actually makes less noise than breaking glass.

Home Security?

Put an American flag on your house, big ass steel toed boots on the front door. Maybe even a USMC or Don't Tread on Me Flag also. I've heard of people doing this and it's deterred burglars.

Home Security?

You can get a DIY kit with no subscription fees for $200, for one example - http://www.amazon.com/Fortress-Security-...B00A1D90Q6 that can be used with landlines or majic jack. Why pay fees every month just so that somebody else can pick up the phone when an alarm goes off?

There are also silent dialer phones that call you when motion is detected and let you listen in on whatever noise is happening inside your home. I used to fantasize about using one of these to rush home, catch a thief in the act and blast him, but for most situations travelling far from home the first option is probably more realistic.

Home Security?

Quote: (08-01-2014 04:00 PM)objectivist tree Wrote:  

Just so you guys are aware: it is illegal to set traps that would kill burglars. I am not saying that anyone is suggesting that but just be aware that it is against the law to set traps that kill people, even if they are breaking into your house.

Well, there goes my suggestion.

[Image: hand-grenade-bomb-home-made-weapon-kill-husband.jpg]

Home Security?

If your house has an existing security system but you don't want to pay for a landline, there is this solution:

http://info.nextalarm.com/help

I've also run across a company that does BYOD, using a spare Linksys PAP2T VoIP adaptor they'll program line2 to be used for alarm.

Team visible roots
"The Carousel Stops For No Man" - Tuthmosis
Quote: (02-11-2019 05:10 PM)Atlanta Man Wrote:  
I take pussy how it comes -but I do now prefer it shaved low at least-you cannot eat what you cannot see.

Home Security?

My mom actually met my dad when they were working at a security company (my mom was dispatch, my dad was the officer). You can't go wrong with something like ADT.

However, if you're in a state where they obey the Castle Doctrine you can't go wrong with a 12-gauge (if you're awake or in the residence when it happens) loaded with 00-buck. If those fuckers enter your residence, fire away.

-Hawk

Software engineer. Part-time Return of Kings contributor, full-time dickhead.

Bug me on Twitter and read my most recent substantial article: Regrets

Last Return of Kings article: An Insider's Guide to the Masculine Profession of Software Development

Home Security?

If you want traditional home security, definitely go with ADT. Check out their Pulse service also.

There are also a few good looking home security startups. Some have products on the market and others are accepting preorders. Check out Piper (http://getpiper.com), Canary (http://canary.is), Dropcam (https://www.dropcam.com), Scout (https://www.scoutalarm.com), and Lockitron (https://lockitron.com/).

Home Security?

Quote: (08-02-2014 04:56 PM)jessup25 Wrote:  

Not really. Intruders will poison them with ease, i know from experience. And then you will have two puppies dead for no good reason, or sick.

I live in a tight neighborhood where thieves can't really work, but i still have a quite robust security - an alarm that emits sound loud enough to break the tolerance that human ears have, causing ear pain to whoever is inside the house forcing him to flee, and more importantly, alarming my neighbors.

Home Security?

Probably not what you're looking for but you can buy those fake CCTV cameras for about $8 each and just stick them around your house.. If it's a couple druggies they'll see the cameras and move on to the next house.

Home Security?

Quote: (08-08-2014 07:42 AM)Orion Wrote:  

Quote: (08-02-2014 04:56 PM)jessup25 Wrote:  

Not really. Intruders will poison them with ease, i know from experience. And then you will have two puppies dead for no good reason, or sick.

snip

Agreed, poison is easy for a scumbag thief. Forgot about that. Big dogs would just deter an opportunistic scumbag, not a prepared professional.

Not sure if runsonmagic is looking to turn his crib into fort knox or just deter the occasional druggie thief. Seems like best to combine dogs/safe/sirens/cctv at the level appropriate for what he's trying to protect.

Sorry to hear about your dogs Orion.

Home Security?

I read the title of this thread as "Homo Security?" and instantly envisioned an army of limp-wristed gays working as body guards. Ok, sorry for the derailment, carry on...

I've got the dick so I make the rules.
-Project Pat

Home Security?

Case in point: one of my buddies from years ago set up his garage so a couple of live wires connected to his motorcycle. If anyone touched the bike, the electricity would flow.

Well, he fried some asshole with it and is in prison with a life sentence.

-Hawk

Last Return of Kings article: An Insider's Guide to the Masculine Profession of Software Development

Home Security?

Quote: (08-13-2014 11:39 PM)HawkWrites Wrote:  

Case in point: one of my buddies from years ago set up his garage so a couple of live wires connected to his motorcycle. If anyone touched the bike, the electricity would flow.

What about stepping up the voltage and making the current too small to kill? Any high-voltage experts on here?

Home Security?

Quote: (08-15-2014 04:59 PM)Engineer Wrote:  

Quote: (08-13-2014 11:39 PM)HawkWrites Wrote:  

What about stepping up the voltage and making the current too small to kill? Any high-voltage experts on here?

If you could lower to the current to something similar to what stun guns use, you might be onto something there. The current is what kills you, not the voltage, so it's something to think about. Sending 900,000 volts through someone will certainly ruin their day and make them think twice (once they regain the ability to think after the initial shock of course).

-Hawk