rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

That "Come To Jesus Moment"

Just had one with my current day job employers.
To make it short, I do cold call sales for an industrial maintenance company. Have been doing it for the past 18 months. My numbers have been adequate, outstanding when you consider the constraints I work under (owners taking all the phone-in leads, competition from other companies, stores which only deal at the corporate level, etc.), but I knew what I was up against when I started.
Last month I finally got full control of my own company and started devoting my energy toward it. Since then, my sales for the day job have gone south. But I can't make enough money, yet, off my company to pay the bills, so I need the daytime gig. And I was sick of the lousy base I was getting from my daytime company.
So today the owners of the daytime gig pulled me aside and wanted to "discuss ways to help me improve". Been through this drill before and it means: get the fucking numbers up or hit the bricks. To my credit, I was cool and didn't quit on the spot, but told them I would try to come up with some ideas of my own.
As I see it I can:
A) Quit and go full throttle on my company, hoping I don't end up on the street.
OR:
B) Tell my day job that I'll get the numbers up, but they'll have to implement some things I want to see happen.
C) Go find another daytime job.
If I do (A) I essentially burn all bridges behind me and hope the Aztecs haven't figured out gunpowder.
If I do (B) I can keep some $$$ flowing in till I get my company up to where it can support me. This assumes they're willing to meet me half way on what I want done.
If I do ©, I can get out the daytime mess I'm in, but would still be working for someone else.
So any advice of the professionals out there I would appreciate. Just keep it serious.

If you really tighten your belt, how many months do you have in cash reserve to cover living expenses?

And, how long do you believe it would take to get YOUR business viable?

3...about the same time needed to get the business fully operational.

Work harder to do both the side hustle and the main gig.

Sleep less, get your own company to a self-sustaining level, then quit the sales job and invest your full energy into it.

That's what I would do, anyway.

Quote: (07-28-2014 05:06 PM)polymath Wrote:  

Sleep less, get your own company to a self-sustaining level, then quit the sales job and invest your full energy into it.

In most scenarios, that would be the smart thing.
But my daytime gig involves total cold calling. I get no leads. So I can still work my fucking ass off and get nowhere. Which was what I was doing. In fact, this seems to be what they want me to do. Because even if I don't close that many deals, they at least have someone out in the field preaching their gospel.

Quote: (07-28-2014 05:11 PM)ColSpanker Wrote:  

But my daytime gig involves total cold calling. I get no leads. So I can still work my fucking ass off and get nowhere. Which was what I was doing. In fact, this seems to be what they want me to do. Because even if I don't close that many deals, they at least have someone out in the field preaching their gospel.

That's the nature of the job. You're trying to sell things to people who aren't even necessarily looking to buy.

Be realistic with yourself. Can you get your company up and running at a good pace in three months without income or other obligations? If not, then don't even consider it.

If you can't turn shit into gold at the current job, then at least explore option C and look for a new job. I'm not the only one who can attest that life gets tough when you have no income.

Can you get unemployment if you wait for them to fire you? I've never been through the process so I'm not sure how it works, but that could also help sustain you as you work on your own project.

- What type of employment contract are you working under? Are you 1099?

- What state?

- Are you a protected class?

You many have a few tricks to lengthen your daytime employment. You can PM if it's better.

Quote: (07-28-2014 05:19 PM)polymath Wrote:  

Quote: (07-28-2014 05:11 PM)ColSpanker Wrote:  

That's the nature of the job. You're trying to sell things to people who aren't even necessarily looking to buy.

Be realistic with yourself. Can you get your company up and running at a good pace in three months without income or other obligations? If not, then don't even consider it.

If you can't turn shit into gold at the current job, then at least explore option C and look for a new job. I'm not the only one who can attest that life gets tough when you have no income.

Can you get unemployment if you wait for them to fire you? I've never been through the process so I'm not sure how it works, but that could also help sustain you as you work on your own project.
Probably going to go with C for the time being as I don't see my company slamming it till the end of the year. Plus, I go the "will access your progress in 30 days" letter which means that's all the time I got to turn those turds into diamonds.

Performance Reviews are a pain because you are right on the edge of getting tossed. At least you ARE getting a performance review. Some people just cut you loose once you aren't kicking as much ass. If I was you, I'd stay with the cold calling job if it's generating income. Better to have something where you're getting a steady paycheck then cashing in your chips. Keep working hard and things will come for your business you have started. Effort is the key to success.

Reporter: What keeps you awake at night?
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis: Nothing, I keep other people awake at night.

OKC Data Sheet

Don't quit. Make 'em fire you. So basically options B and C. And you should PM Gringuito. His posts are gold.

Quote: (07-28-2014 09:07 PM)Peregrine Wrote:  

Don't quit. Make 'em fire you. So basically options B and C. And you should PM Gringuito. His posts are gold.

This. Let them support your business by paying you Unemployment benefits while you start up.

Update: It seems I'll be working for this company for a little longer. I changed some of my techniques and am now killing it in sales. Well, killing it enough to keep the owners happy. Last week was a train wreck, but all weeks before were golden.
And now comes the burning question: do I back-pedal my own business to keep my meal ticket ? Like most cold-call sales jobs, you "just might" hit the big score, but the odds are against it. I've survived for 2 years in this racket, which is 12 lifetimes in the street sales game. But my own company just seems to be getting by. Still too soon after buying out my former partner to see where it's all going to go.
I've looked into other sales jobs in this area, but they all seem be scams of one type or another. I have this feeling that most companies think they don't need anyone Willie Lohmaning the street- just do some basic SEO and the riches will be yours!

Dude, keep the current job, even if it is shitty.
Do more time for your new company and try to find another job. IS Sales your main set of skills?
what about any other area?

I am curious, if you fail under performance, underachievement, will they fire you with some sort of compensation money?

So your daytime gig is cold calling sales. Is your company in the same field as the daytime gig?

Quote: (09-15-2014 07:55 AM)ColSpanker Wrote:  

I have this feeling that most companies think they don't need anyone Willie Lohmaning the street- just do some basic SEO and the riches will be yours!
There is some truth to this depending on the company and what you are selling. For most B2C sales you don't really need sales people any more, providing you have targeted SEO and/or good copywriting.

For more expensive purchases and B2B sales people are still very valuable.

Quote: (09-15-2014 08:55 AM)TravellerJay Wrote:  

Dude, keep the current job, even if it is shitty.
Do more time for your new company and try to find another job. IS Sales your main set of skills?
what about any other area?

I am curious, if you fail under performance, underachievement, will they fire you with some sort of compensation money?
In my 55 years on this planet, I have yet to discover what I am good at doing. At least that makes any real money.[Image: smile.gif]
Don't know what they would do if I don't kill it in sales, but suspect it would not be pleasant. I've heard horror stories of sales people who discovered they were getting the boot when they're pass code didn't work at the front gate.

Quote: (09-15-2014 10:21 AM)LemonDrink Wrote:  

So your daytime gig is cold calling sales. Is your company in the same field as the daytime gig?
No, my daytime gig is totally different from what my own company produces. There is no going back to what I used to do as industrial chemistry has almost vanished in the USA. At least on the local level because no one in their right mind would want to get hit with an environmental impact suit. This leaves on the largest companies to do the dirty work and those companies who have to keep going because shutting down would leave a toxic waste dump. The larger companies can get all the fresh college chumps they need and the 3rd-worlders who will do as told if they want to stay in this country.

I would agree with the sentiment that you should make them fire you rather than quit. Or better yet perform adequately until you are truly in a position to leave.

You seem to have been around for a while so you've probably also come to see the problem with the whole "sink or swim" philosophy in business. In my professional life there's nothing that has made me groan (internally) more than hearing some CEO for a company I was working for bring up the whole sink or swim analogy. Or the story about the general burning boats after arriving on hostile shores. Any time I hear that I just KNOW that the the person/(usually CEO) speaking the words isn't ready for the consequences of the path they are taking their company on. The thing with sink or swim is that many, probably most, times you are going to.....sink. If you're prepared for this and can retool and try something else quickly without losing too much that's fine, but a lot of people delude themselves into believing that "burning their boats" will somehow guarantee their success. That is just laughable. They end up wagering way too much. And when it inevitably doesn't work out as planned they start to blame their employees and others. If only "others" were more dedicated things would have worked out.... No, they wouldn't have. Many results are down to completely random factors and you must be position to roll with misfortune. If you wager too much you can't do that. You're taken out with just one blow.

Quote: (09-15-2014 01:48 PM)Bad Hussar Wrote:  

I would agree with the sentiment that you should make them fire you rather than quit. Or better yet perform adequately until you are truly in a position to leave.

You seem to have been around for a while so you've probably also come to see the problem with the whole "sink or swim" philosophy in business. In my professional life there's nothing that has made me groan (internally) more than hearing some CEO for a company I was working for bring up the whole sink or swim analogy. Or the story about the general burning boats after arriving on hostile shores. Any time I hear that I just KNOW that the the person/(usually CEO) speaking the words isn't ready for the consequences of the path they are taking their company on. The thing with sink or swim is that many, probably most, times you are going to.....sink. If you're prepared for this and can retool and try something else quickly without losing too much that's fine, but a lot of people delude themselves into believing that "burning their boats" will somehow guarantee their success. That is just laughable. They end up wagering way too much. And when it inevitably doesn't work out as planned they start to blame their employees and others. If only "others" were more dedicated things would have worked out.... No, they wouldn't have. Many results are down to completely random factors and you must be position to roll with misfortune. If you wager too much you can't do that. You're taken out with just one blow.
Oh sweet Jesus, the times I have been in that situation....
It usually happens because the company is swirling the bowl and some chuckle head thinks he can save the ship with his forceful personality. My advice to anyone in this situation: GTFO!
I worked one place back in the 80's where the plant manager got off humiliating the lab staff and forced us to work unpaid overtime. He would come out at the end of the day screaming: "All shore leave canceled!". Desperate for a job, I assumed if I kept soldiering on, all would work out. I finally got another job, handed in my 2 weeks notice and the cocksucker fired me on the spot. He ended up hiring some more chumps. One guy nearly lost his wife and family over all the unpaid overtime he worked. In the end, the corporation shut the place down, which was probably their fiendish plan all along.

Update.
Just had the "performance review" with the owners of the industrial maintenance company I still work for. After a holiday slump in sales, the numbers have come back, but not enough to get a passing grade. The bastards have moved me to strict commission, although still giving me gas money and an increase in commission percentage. However, I still need to file time sheets, etc. So good-bye base, but I still have a job.
I've been working on the side with a start-up doing sales for them, but that is commission only too. My own company continues to soldier on, but still can't derive enough income from it to tell the owners of my my day-job company to shove it.
Still trying to decide if I should ramp down Industrial Maintenance company and just go flat-out with the start up. I don't have any kind of ownership in the new start-up, so I could eventually be out on the street with it.

Wow, its' been nearly a year since I posted on this.
Left that outfit and now earn my bread freelance writing. For which I have Double B and this forum to thank. Still have my company, but most of my $$$ comes from the writing.
I ran into my replacement the other day and he was doing the same shtick, walking down the street trying to hustle business for the company owners. Seemed like a nice guy, so I give him another 6 months to figure out that he'll never get any where working for them.