rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Help a first time poster - career advise

So this is my first ever post on the forum since I have been browsing the site for a few months now trying to take in all the various information available. However, it would be greato receive some personal advise from some of the more experienced guys on the forum or those people that are in a similar position to me.

Background: 24 years old living with parents in South-West England after recently graduating in Sport Science from a University in Liverpool, achieving 68% (I lived there for 3 years) Before University I worked various jobs: Roofing, supermarket work and postperson. This allowed me to pay my way through Uni. However, since finishing Uni in May I have barely any money and I am currently considering what career path to take. Currently thinking PE teacher after teaching course next September. Although I am certain that I will work in a job related to my degree; I am undecided as to what area specifically that will be.

I have been looking into the possibility of teaching English abroad for a short time which would at least allow me to save a little and possibly have a fantastic time and life changing experience. However, I would need to save a little working at home first before going because of my financial situation.

So I am looking for advise as to whether it would be best to find any work while living at home which would allow me to save nearly all of the money and doing this while figuring out a specific career path ; or save a little here first before teaching English abroad and hopefully have it figured out before returning home from that experience?

I am not necessarily in a desparate situation or in a massive rush to have all the answers now but I think it would benefit me to have some advise from the experienced fellas on the forum.

Cheers,
Scrivz

Quote: (07-10-2014 08:13 AM)scrivybaby Wrote:  

So this is my first ever post on the forum since I have been browsing the site for a few months now trying to take in all the various information available. However, it would be greato receive some personal advise from some of the more experienced guys on the forum or those people that are in a similar position to me.

Background: 24 years old living with parents in South-West England after recently graduating in Sport Science from a University in Liverpool, achieving 68% (I lived there for 3 years) Before University I worked various jobs: Roofing, supermarket work and postperson. This allowed me to pay my way through Uni. However, since finishing Uni in May I have barely any money and I am currently considering what career path to take. Currently thinking PE teacher after teaching course next September. Although I am certain that I will work in a job related to my degree; I am undecided as to what area specifically that will be.

I have been looking into the possibility of teaching English abroad for a short time which would at least allow me to save a little and possibly have a fantastic time and life changing experience. However, I would need to save a little working at home first before going because of my financial situation.

So I am looking for advise as to whether it would be best to find any work while living at home which would allow me to save nearly all of the money and doing this while figuring out a specific career path ; or save a little here first before teaching English abroad and hopefully have it figured out before returning home from that experience?

I am not necessarily in a desparate situation or in a massive rush to have all the answers now but I think it would benefit me to have some advise from the experienced fellas on the forum.

Cheers,
Scrivz

The sports market is a tough one, for sure. We seem to be churning out thousands of graduates per year in sports related disciplines with no discernible career paths available to them.

What sports do you do or have you done?

Work for Manchester United, Liverpool?

You can get a working/holiday visa for Australia which lasts a year. After I finished uni I worked and travelled around Australia. Definitely recomend it.