rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

I have an invention idea

I have an invention idea

I have a great idea for an invention, but don't really know how to go about making it a reality. Its nothing life changing, but I know there would be a market for it. I just need some advice on start up, plastic molding and copyright.

I don't wanna go into too much detail yet about what it is, but if it takes off anyone who helps will get one!

Thanks.

Chicago Tribe.

My podcast with H3ltrsk3ltr and Cobra.

Snowplow is uber deep cover as an alpha dark triad player red pill awoken gorilla minded narc cop. -Kaotic

I have an invention idea

You need a patent, not copyright, assuming your invention is a physical object.

I have an invention idea

Quote: (07-09-2014 06:30 PM)Snowplow Wrote:  

I have a great idea for an invention, but don't really know how to go about making it a reality. Its nothing life changing, but I know there would be a market for it. I just need some advice on start up, plastic molding and copyright.

I don't wanna go into too much detail yet about what it is, but if it takes off anyone who helps will get one!

Thanks.

I worked in this industry for a long time. Specifically taking ideas from concept to manufacturing to retail (brick and mortar/tv retail).

There are usually two paths you can take. The first requires a lot more money and know how to make it work. Create a prototype/get a small production run made and then pitch it to either a marketing company that specializes in this sort of thing or directly to retailers. Before you do any of this you make a technical drawing, hire a lawyer and file a patent or try to file it yourself. Going down this road will be expensive because you will more than likely make a lot of mistakes that will cost money but its inevitable unless you know the right people that can help you.

The other path is much easier but not as lucrative. You can pitch the concept to the same type of marketing company and if they take it on will generally handle production and marketing for you however you will probably just get a small royalty for each unit sold or small % of sales. You should generally file the patent before going down this route as well.

PM if you want to chat more, if its decent I can put you in touch with some of the right people who will get the ball rolling.

Carmo

I have an invention idea

I suggest looking at http://www.inventright.com/ for licensing background. His book "One Simple Idea" (the yellow one) is pretty good and outlines how to get royalties without going through the whole process of spending gobs of money. This may ultimately be the path you want to go down. It's basically #2 that Carmo outlined above, but usually without filing for your own patent. He used to have a few free podcasts on the website. They were short and to the point, from what I recall.

I have an invention idea

Thanks Carmo and Tarquin. I'm gonna look into these some more. And Carom expect a message from me in the future.

Chicago Tribe.

My podcast with H3ltrsk3ltr and Cobra.

Snowplow is uber deep cover as an alpha dark triad player red pill awoken gorilla minded narc cop. -Kaotic

I have an invention idea

I have a buddy Who is a wanna be inventor. It costs alot of money unless your just going to try to sell the idea. Patent research you can spend 10k easy just to find out your idea is already patented. Getting a patent a few grand. Them copyright the name as well couple hundred. Now your gonna pay thousands to get a mold or prototype made and that's just for a mold not a production run. Id say you should have at least 30k or 40k ready to drop but can easily run into the hundreds of thousands. I'm sure you've seen Sharktank and heard countless people dropping hundreds of thousands of their own money and they still don't even have a real company or sales

I have an invention idea

DO not bring it to China, they'll copy it and re-release it under their own name.

I have an invention idea

Depending on the product, you can get a sample or prototype made by 3d printing. There are a lot of companies that will do it for you. Easier and much cheaper than paying for a mold in the beginning. Having something concrete to show, whether it works or not will help to show your idea and get people/backers on board.

I have an invention idea

There's a lot of MIS information out there but number one DON"T DONT DONT fall for any of those "Invention help" co's. They are ALL a scam.

Here's a link to some useful info published in a reputable zine.

http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/159560

There are definitely ways to make money with new ideas, so I'm not trying to dissuade you. I would however suggest taking the time to do a little research and even read some books on the subject (there are several)

"Leap, and the net will appear". John Burroughs

"The big question is whether you are going to be able to say a hearty yes to your adventure."
Joseph Campbell