rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Live by the Sword

Live by the Sword

Ok I met another service guy here... lots of ex-military wandering around China, so this guy who is also a D&D fan is a huge sword enthusiast... and after a bit of talking he invites me to practice sword fighting. I have to say when I first heard about it, I wasn't interested at all, seemed kind of hokey and stupid and I'm not really interested in Knives or real guns or anything... never been, and I hate the Lord Of The Rings, just think fantasy is boring...anyway.

I showed up today and he has these two COLD STEEL waster swords that are made of plastic or something, its really heavy and probably could do a lot of damage in the right hands. Well anyway this guy is a pro and I came away after two or three hours with an all new respect for Swords/Sword fighting. In fact I was so impressed, I just ordered one (about 60 bucks) and will continue practicing with him twice a week... now I go home and my god, I want to know everything about the medieval ages. Movies and TV make it seem as though swords were very common place when in fact, one sword cost more than an entire village could scrape together. A guy brandishing a sword was seen right away as educated and somewhat lordly, at least not a peasant... and I kinda see why. I've done a lot of martial arts training but something about sword fighting feels very intelligent. It's not something you can just pick up and do and its not as simple as just swinging a bat, seems as though most fights ended in one or two swipes.

Wondering if anyone else has any experience with this?

I'm thinking of also ordering the COLD STEEL propylene Arming sword and Buckler. I don't know what it is but learning to use this stuff is so fvcking cool on so many levels, I highly recommend it to everyone on this forum. I' m going to make sure my kids are fully trained in swords... I have my reservations about guns but Archery and Sword fighting seem to require a little bit more brain power. It just feels alpha as hell, I can only imagine the balls of steel that my ancestors must have had to go up against guys like this.

" a more elegant weapon for a more civilized age."
- Obiwan Kenobi

http://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-Trainin...long+sword

Live by the Sword

I've always wanted to learn swordfighting (or fencing, quite similar) formally, but all the sports clubs in my area receive no government support and depend on winning medals in international competitions to survive. Thus, if you don't have the potential to win a medal for them (as in you haven't started learning while you were 5 years old so that you could reach elite status when you grow up), there's no way that they will take you in. I still hope to find a more commercial club someday when I move to a bigger city.

I own two decorative blades, sharp but way too heavy for training.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

Live by the Sword

A few years back I learned Escrima. We would alternate from empty hands, knives, barongs. and a mix of all of the above. A man should know how to use some sort of weapon with competence.

"Feminism is a trade union for ugly women"- Peregrine

Live by the Sword

Try Kendo, you will be equally amazed/entertained at trying to split your opponents head open.

Why do the heathen rage and the people imagine a vain thing? Psalm 2:1 KJV

Live by the Sword

Katana blade all the way.

Live by the Sword

I've got to say, I'm becoming a huge fan of the arming and long-swords... I find the katana sort of unappealing, it doesn't really offer enough defense. It seems as if the long sword was built to take a hit or two and offers a lot more options... to me the katana is just a big knife.

Live by the Sword

No way guys.

Ninja stars are where it's at.

They are what a real man uses.

I'm the King of Beijing!

Live by the Sword

Relevant to topic...

Live by the Sword

That Klingon thing is my favourite. Ba'atleth or something like that [Image: smile.gif]

Learning sword fighting is just a massive waste of time though, really…unless you're really into swords. From a self defence pov, best to stick to knives (and guns for you crazy americans [Image: smile.gif] )

Live by the Sword

That Indiana jones clip sums it up!