rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Davao, Philippines, Data Sheet

I'm posting this in response to a request by Lumiere. I lived in Davao from July-November of 2008 so some of the info may have changed but most of it is probably still accurate. Davao is probably what Medellin was 5-10 years ago, an up an coming place that's slowly become more touristy. When I was there, people would often ask me what I was doing in Davao.

Geography and Climate
Davao is sometimes listed at the largest city in the world, in terms of overall land size. But most of this is surrounding farmland. The actual city is much smaller and easy to navigate. Unlike other parts of the Philippines, Davao does not experience typhoons. The weather is quite hot and you DO NOT want to do much walking in Davao or you'll be drenched in sweat.

Safety
Davao is located on the island of Mindanao. There's a civil war on the island but there's no reason for you to experience that. The island is nearly 40,000 sq miles and the civil war does not take place near Davao.

Meanwhile, the city is VERY safe due to the efforts of long-term mayor Rodrigo Duterte. He recently had to step down due to term limits but no worries...he's serving as vice mayor while his daughter fills in as mayor (welcome to politics in the philippines!). Anyway, you should still follow normal safety precautions but I doubt you'll have any problems. Also, unlike other cities in the philippines, begging is not accepted and you will not have people coming up to you asking for money.

Transportation
Jeepneys are the primary means of getting around the city. They're dirt cheap and run on set routes, similar to buses. I never had to take more than 2 jeepneys to get from point a to point b. Jeepneys mostly run on the main roads. And remember, lots of cute college girls ride the jeepneys.....

The smaller roads are serviced by trikes which are basically a motorcycle with a side car.

Finally there are taxis which are metered.

Where to stay
If memory serves me correctly, there wasn't much in the way of mid-range hotels in Davao. Mostly high-end places or dumps. Maybe that's changed. Anyway, your best bet to find a place to stay is in a gated community called Rivera Village (it's across the street from Davao Medical Center, the large public hospital). They have about 5-6 apartelles where you can rent a studio or one-bedroom by the day, week or month with no long-term commitment. I stayed in two different ones and paid about $300 a month for a studio which included free internet, free AC (very important in the philippines) and maid service. It pays to check them all out as each apartelle has slightly different features. Rivera Village is only about 3 blocks by 3 blocks so the apartelles are easy to find. This is the webpage for one of the places I stayed at:
http://junanddellapartment.com/

If you want to rent a more traditional apartment, you'll likely have to sign a 6-12 month lease and put a 2 month deposit down.

Food
There are some decent international restaurants in davao - thai, indian, greek/middle eastern, vietnamese.

What to do
This being the philippines, shopping malls are quite popular. There were 5-6 malls when I left in Nov. 2008, with 2 more under construction. Davao has lots of nice American style coffee-shops with free wi-fi (and yes, it's safe to bring your laptop). There are also some nice American style gyms that cost about $30-40 a month - two of them are located on the same road as the Thai restaurant. Popular sports include badminton and ping pong. There are also a couple of bowling alleys. Oh, and there's a place where you can rent a booth to play WII.

Decent daytrips include Eden Nature Park, Philippine Eagle Center, and Crocodile Farm. There's also a wakeboarding park which was built after I left.

Oh and beaches, I have to mention beaches, right? Paradise Island is the most popular destination. About 15 minutes by boat from Davao and very cheap entrance fee. (btw, Paradise Island isn't actually an island...it's located on Samal Island). Quite popular. Pearl Farm is another nice one, though more expensive. There are other beaches as well....all located on Samal Island. But Paradise and Eden are the two I'd recommend.

Communication
You need a cell phone in the philippines. Everyone, even the poor people, send texts. Texts cost about 2 cents, whereas phone calls are about 20 cents a minute. That being said, you will quickly grow tired of texting. If you send a filipino a text and they don't reply within 5-10 minutes, they're probably dead. Seriously. And if you receive a text and don't reply within 5-10 minutes, you'll probably get a text that says "where are you? are you okay?". And no, I'm not making this up...this happened to me several times. I sometimes shut my cell phone off to escape the non-stop texts. Filipinos are amazingly fast at sending texts...if texting were an olympic event, they'd win hands down.

Nightlife
Filipinos don't drink much so there's not a huge bar scene in Davao. Matina town square is one place with bars. The Venue is the best nightclub in Davao. Filipinos love to sing (and they're quite good at it) so karaoke clubs are also popular. Just be prepared, they like to sing crappy, romantic stuff...Air Supply is still huge in the philippines.

Work
There aren't many job opportunities in the philippines for foreigners. You might be able to get a job teaching english but the pay will be very low and probably won't meet all your expenses (your students will be Koreans who come to the philippines cause it's cheaper than learning english in their own country). You might also be able to get a training position in a call center - pay is probably better but you may have to work 3rd shift. Otherwise you'll have to start your own business or have another source of income.

Visa Renewal
Don't really remember but you have to do this every month or two, depending on how long you're staying. The place to renew is on a main road though I'm blanking on the exact location. The process is fairly painless. Just make sure to wear long pants....if you show up in shorts, they'll turn you away.

Meeting women
This being the philippines, you're best off working day game in the malls and the street. Filipino Cupid is the main site for online dating. My Space is also very popular in the philippines (I used that to find my eventual girlfriend though the search function sucks - or at least it did back in 2008).

I'm not really a player so I can't tell you how easy the women are. But for those that have no experience in the philipines, I will tell you this...filipinas are some of the nicest girls you'll ever meet. I went out on dates with about 10-11 filipinas and all but one texted me afterwards to thank me for taking them out (I've gone out on hundreds of dates with American women and only one or two did the same thing). Filipinas will also NOT flake on you. If you make plans, they will show up. And if they're running late, they'll text you to let you know. They may want to bring a friend along the first time they meet you but they'll ask you ahead of time if it's okay (and your answer should be "yes"...it's just once, no big deal). BTW, most filipinos speak english but few speak it fluently so expect at least a few conversational struggles.

BTW, I shouldn't have to say this but based on a recent thread, I'm going to...always, always, always use condoms!!! The philippines is still a conservative country and the Catholic church wields lots of influence. It's one of two countries in the world where divorce is still illegal (Malta is the other). The last thing you want to do is get some girl pregnant whose not going to be able to get an abortion.

If you have any questions, let me know.

I heard alot of good things about Davao but one of my close Filipino friends told me the nightlife is much better in Cebu. Davao is said to be much cleaner than Cebu city and has less "pros" roaming around in the nightclubs.

Very nice data sheet emh! I'm returning back to the Philippines later this year and can't wait! Davao and Mindanao are high on my list for my next visit. I enjoyed my time overall in Cebu and I have heard a lot of good things from Davao, so very much looking forward to returning there.
Your lead about the apartelle is golden! Anyone can post something similar in say Cebu City?

Thanks again man for the greatly informative post!

D & L aparthotel in cebu city is recommended

Glad you found it helpful VP!

BTW, I don't want to give anyone the wrong impression about Davao...it's still an ugly, dirty city. As far as I know, all cities in the philippines are like that. But when I was in Cebu I couldn't walk down the street without a crowd following me, begging me for money. I literally had people clutching my arm as I walked down the street. That sort of thing NEVER happened in Davao.

Quote: (02-20-2011 02:59 AM)Lumiere Wrote:  

D & L aparthotel in cebu city is recommended
I remember visiting D&L Apartelle a few months ago, they told me there was no Wifi and for 900 pesos a night I found the room to be decent but not a place where I would stay in for more than a week or so. For 300 to 400 pesos more you really get a much better room down the street at NS Royal Pension or Paragon Suites.

Quote: (02-20-2011 04:23 PM)emh Wrote:  

Glad you found it helpful VP!

BTW, I don't want to give anyone the wrong impression about Davao...it's still an ugly, dirty city. As far as I know, all cities in the philippines are like that. But when I was in Cebu I couldn't walk down the street without a crowd following me, begging me for money. I literally had people clutching my arm as I walked down the street. That sort of thing NEVER happened in Davao.

This happened to me alot end 2009 although I was there between october and december 2010 and there were alot less beggars. Once this ugly teenager was holding my arm begging me for money, I could have slapped him and made him fall on the floor but I didn't, I just screamed and he backed off. Very annoying.

D&l has wifi now

Off to Davao tonight.

Rivera Village is how much per night? Their website does not say so.

Quote: (02-23-2011 07:39 AM)Lumiere Wrote:  

Off to Davao tonight.

Rivera Village is how much per night? Their website does not say so.

Rivera Village is the name of the neighborhood, not the establishment. There are about 5-6 establishments in the neighborhood. No idea what a nightly rate is...I was paying about $250-300 a month back in late 2008. So maybe something like $15 a night? But I assume you'll be there for at least a week? So ask for a weekly rate (or a rate for however long you'll be there).

Sweet. Thanks.

Great data sheet BTW.

Check this thread for anyone interested in more info about Davao. Thousands of posts with pics and articles about the city.
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1298519

Know your enemy and know yourself, find naught in fear for 100 battles. Know yourself but not your enemy, find level of loss and victory. Know thy enemy but not yourself, wallow in defeat every time.

Quote: (02-23-2011 08:37 AM)Lumiere Wrote:  

Sweet. Thanks.

Great data sheet BTW.

Glad you found it helpful. You'll have to post about your experience when you can.

Davao.. hmm.. take extra security precautions guys.

The Venue nightclub now no longer exists

It was turned into a call centre a few years ago

Quote: (02-25-2011 10:09 PM)Lumiere Wrote:  

The Venue nightclub now no longer exists

It was turned into a call centre a few years ago

Hope you found another fun place to hang out tonight.

Only place I found was just full of guys

Daygame and online is way to go here like much of the Philippines

It is beyond me why anyone would go to Davao, but whatevs float you guys's boat. Just, seriously guys, do not fuck around in that area too much -- you are putting too much risk on yourself.

However, if you are able to pull a cute muslim girl, I will bow down to you.I'm surprised nothing there's yet on North Luzon, about Baguio, Ilocos, or anything beyond the Cordilleras. They have as much beaches up north as they have down south.

Deleted.

Quote: (02-26-2011 12:20 AM)manilaguy Wrote:  

It is beyond me why anyone would go to Davao, but whatevs float you guys's boat. Just, seriously guys, do not fuck around in that area too much -- you are putting too much risk on yourself.

However, if you are able to pull a cute muslim girl, I will bow down to you.
Davao is safe. I know quite a few foreigners who live on the outskirds of the city and never had a problem. The dangerous spot is the MILF controlled area which is quite far away from Davao. There are even foreigners who own girly bars in Cagayan De Oro. Although I like to shag milfs (ironic), I wouldn't go to any MILF controlled area in the Philippines [Image: smile.gif]

Anyway I think you knew this. If not, then learn more about your own country dude.

Quote: (02-26-2011 12:20 AM)manilaguy Wrote:  

However, if you are able to pull a cute muslim girl, I will bow down to you.I'm surprised nothing there's yet on North Luzon, about Baguio, Ilocos, or anything beyond the Cordilleras. They have as much beaches up north as they have down south.

You're joking right? I lived there for 4 months and had NO problems. How much time have you spent in Davao???

Ok, fine, stay in developed places where locals are friendly, including bars with foreign owners, and you will have no trouble. Stay long enough, and you will definitely be targeted. Behind the happy face facade, malls, and museums, is another psyche of the Philippines.

I know enough of Davao, which incidentally is a land area attached to some intense separatist rebel shit , think al-quaida-death-to-all-Americans type slithering in as random faces you interact with collecting evidence on you. The peace is only an illusion, there is real sadness behind the smile in Davao.

No means to pop your bubble (well is what Davao is, a bubble), I just raised a flag (which I do not raise in cebu or other smaller cities), but ignore it if you want.

Quote: (02-26-2011 10:09 AM)manilaguy Wrote:  

Ok, fine, stay in developed places where locals are friendly, including bars with foreign owners, and you will have no trouble. Stay long enough, and you will definitely be targeted. Behind the happy face facade, malls, and museums, is another psyche of the Philippines.

I know enough of Davao, which incidentally is a land area attached to some intense separatist rebel shit , think al-quaida-death-to-all-Americans type slithering in as random faces you interact with collecting evidence on you. The peace is only an illusion, there is real sadness behind the smile in Davao.

No means to pop your bubble (well is what Davao is, a bubble), I just raised a flag (which I do not raise in cebu or other smaller cities), but ignore it if you want.
Dude, I know dozens of foreigners who live in the PROVINCES around Davao and they never had any problem with the MILF or muslims.
It's the northern part of Mindandao which is dangerous and not Davao.There are foreign restaurant owners, farmers, etc etc in the Davao del Sur area.

I know some young Americans who swear by the bible that Davao is the best place in the Philippines to pick up girls and hang around.

It's a true thing some people from Manila will always act like we don't know enough about their country, which in fact should be said about them.

Quote: (02-27-2011 01:53 AM)Tommy Wrote:  

Quote: (02-26-2011 10:09 AM)manilaguy Wrote:  

Dude, I know dozens of foreigners who live in the PROVINCES around Davao and they never had any problem with the MILF or muslims.
It's the northern part of Mindandao which is dangerous and not Davao.There are foreign restaurant owners, farmers, etc etc in the Davao del Sur area.

I know some young Americans who swear by the bible that Davao is the best place in the Philippines to pick up girls and hang around.

It's a true thing some people from Manila will always act like we don't know enough about their country, which in fact should be said about them.

+1

I could post lots of examples of foreigners who have lived in Davao for a long-time with no problems. Here's one example. This guys lived in Davao for the past 10 years and before that visited for 10 years. Here's the worst thing that happened to him (and it didn't even happen in Davao):

"About the worst feeling I have had in the past 20 years, as far as safety goes, was for just a few minutes when I was in Tawi Tawi, a group of about 100 Islands in the Sulu Sea off of Mindanao. I was standing on a pier taking some pictures, and a man came up to me and told me I should leave Tawi Tawi, because I was not welcome there. Well, Tawi Tawi is reputed to be a terrorist hangout, and this was the only incident I had where I felt a bit unsafe there, and this fellow actually seemed to be a bit mentally unstable to me. Nothing happened."

http://liveinthephilippines.com/content/...ent-angle/

Update from my last 3 days there.

Nightlife has moved to a place called Prime Square. It's a bunch of about 8 resto bars all next to each other that get rocking at the weekend and turn into the clubbing centre of the city. Everything from disco to bands playing live rock covers.

Get there early. Annoying thing is that city ordinance says they have to close at 2am so head out around 8 or 9.

There are after hours places after 2am - just ask a cab driver to take you to one but its mostly only the dudes that go there.

At 2am everybody heads from Prime Sq into the nearby McDonalds.

Breakfast - Euro Cafe inside Gaisano mall does an awesome european/american breakfast (its on their brunch menu) and they have wifi.

Poker - The Metro Card Club is the top poker club in Davao. They have non stop cash games, tournos and even some free rolls tournos at weekends.

Daygame - Gaisano mall, SM mall, Uni of Mindanao and John Paul II College. Saw multiple 9's in Gaisano mall.

Apart from that just take Jeepney's up and down JP Laurel Avenue. They are only 8 pesos (20 cents) for 3km. There are lots of cute girls you can meet on the journey and, if you see any girls on the street you can hop off at any point.

As with most spots in the Phils, daygame and online seems to yield better results and better quality girls than night game.

In Davao you will be the only white/western/non-asian dude wherever you go. In three days I can count all the westerners that I saw on my two hands with a few fingers left over.