rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

I need guidance

I need guidance

Firstly, thanks for taking the time to read the thread. I'd appreciate any insight and advice you could offer as I don't have anyone in my circle that I can turn to in these matters.

I visited a gym today and want to join, but I'm not sure if it's right for me.
To clarify, I haven't visited a gym since I was in college 6 years ago. I stay in shape by doing Judo twice a week and by working in construction.
It's called Nuffield Health (UK based.) The facilities seemed satisfactory with strength-based training room, multi-purpose gym, pool, sauna and probably a few other things I didn't see.
It seemed a little under-staffed - there was only one person on customer service and reception was manned by a lifeguard. Took a little while to get hold of someone who could show me the ropes.
I arrived at 12:30 and was about finished by 2:30.
30 minutes on the ski machine - 2.51 km, varying resistance with a 5 minute cool down. 3 sets of 15 reps starting with shoulder press followed by rear deltoids and ending with chest presses. Ended with a 10 minute 0.8 km treadmill run.
My ultimate goal is to build mass, ideally through bodybuilding. Is this a good starting point or am I heading in the wrong direction?
Also, it seemed a little pricey at £56 per month. They do throw in a personal workout and health MOT if you go for a subscription.

I need guidance

If you are looking to gain mass you need to develop a diet that facilitates that.

As for the lifts, I would have some of the experienced gym members show you the basics (bench, squat, dead, clean) and use a 5x5 regiment (sets, reps). Getting the form right is critcal before going up in weight. Read starting strength.

If you must use machines for your lifts, I would reccommend lowering the number of reps to facilitate a higher weight per rep.

The price really depends on what your options are (I'm stateside and pay about 40$ a month for gym + BJJ) I would reccommend shopping around.

That said my fitness knowledge is not as developed as other members, and a lot of this has been discussed in detail (the search function is your friend).

I need guidance

Buy a barbell and some weights, do deadlifts and squats... will be cheaper and better

I need guidance

Been working out for several years now. Starting Strength is a great start. Here's some more suggestions:

Focus on mind-muscle connection: Squeeze the targeted muscle and feel it stretching as u release the weight downwards...tension should always be felt at the targeted muscle through the entire movement

Full range of movement: Don't do half reps initially (can use it later on as u get more experience)...ur primary goal as a beginner is to build solid full ROM mind-muscle connections so that you can eventually slap on more weight...by then ur muscular pathways are already set in a proper foundation so the heavier weight/intensity will kick in naturally

Lotta newbies slap on too much weight in the beginning and ignore the fundamentals of proper muscular pathways

Also, here is my personal combo for optimal fitness:
yoga + smr (self-myofascial release) + cardio + weights

I used to do:
weights + cardio + stretching as an afterthought

Ended up getting tons of lactic acid buildup in my muscles and feeling sore constantly.

After I added yoga + smr to my routine, the comfort + recovery difference was night and day. Also, try contrast showers to help aid recovery.

I need guidance

I'd keep the workouts at typically an hour.

Maybe 2 days high intensity cardio, 2 days lifting, 1 day light mixed cardio/lifting. Make sure to switch up your exercises every few weeks.

I find stairs are awesome for losing fat, especially if you do intervals.

Eat a lot of protein (at least 100 grams per day), get 6 meals in a day, eliminate junk and fast food, go for complex carbs and good quality fat,
sleep 7-9 hours a night, and drink a gallon of water a day. Get your vitamins (magnesium, D, multi, cal-mag, omega 3) and consume fish too.

I need guidance

Thanks for the advice so far guys.
I'm having trouble quantifying the information about food though.
If you ask 10 different nutritionists about balanced dietary requirements for a workout routine, you'll get 20 different answers.
And from what I've seen, it all seems to be quite technical i.e protein chains, complex carbs, calorie intake etc.
While I appreciate the detail involved, I don't know how to translate that information into what foods I should buy in the supermarket.

I need guidance

If you are just starting out building mass don't complicate things.

What to eat? Food.

How much? More.

If you want the complex version I will break it down. You have three macronutrients: proteins, fats, and carbs. Protein is the most important. Every meal you eat should be based around protein. Fats and carbs will fill out the rest.

When you go to the store you want to stay on the outside walls where the coolers are, and away from the aisles on the inside full of processed shit-food.

I recommend eating lots of food from animals. Chicken, beef, pork, eggs, squirrel, fish, buffalo, deer, etc. Even better if you kill and butcher the animal yourself.

Ham, eggs, and bacon are good. Chicken and rice is good. Steak and anything is good. Fried squirrel is good. Buffalo burgers are good.

Notice how you can eat foods that are good. The bottom line is to make sure you are eating a lot. 4-6 times per day.

Don't be that guy showing up with one chicken breast and a few spoonfuls of fried broccoli. Show up with 2-3 chicken breaks and a few cups of rice.

Simplify and repeat.

I need guidance

I'll keep it simple.

Start with 5x5. I think "Art of Manliness" has a simple program.

Avoid bread, rice and pasta unless whole grain and if so eat them earlier in the day.

Avoid sugar, like pop/soda and even shitty Tropicana orange juice.

Otherwise, eat more.

Drink lots of water.

I need guidance

Quote: (06-19-2014 09:59 AM)General Mayhem Wrote:  

If you are just starting out building mass don't complicate things.

What to eat? Food.

How much? More.

If you want the complex version I will break it down. You have three macronutrients: proteins, fats, and carbs. Protein is the most important. Every meal you eat should be based around protein. Fats and carbs will fill out the rest.

When you go to the store you want to stay on the outside walls where the coolers are, and away from the aisles on the inside full of processed shit-food.

I recommend eating lots of food from animals. Chicken, beef, pork, eggs, squirrel, fish, buffalo, deer, etc. Even better if you kill and butcher the animal yourself.

Ham, eggs, and bacon are good. Chicken and rice is good. Steak and anything is good. Fried squirrel is good. Buffalo burgers are good.

Notice how you can eat foods that are good. The bottom line is to make sure you are eating a lot. 4-6 times per day.

Don't be that guy showing up with one chicken breast and a few spoonfuls of fried broccoli. Show up with 2-3 chicken breaks and a few cups of rice.

Simplify and repeat.

Bacon is pretty bad, actually, especially if eaten in high amounts. Bacon has a lot of saturated fat. If you're going to eat bacon, eat very few and make sure it's turkey. Btw, bacon is processed, too.

@ OP
In terms of diet, here's what I follow:

* Buy foods with quality, lean protein: fish, chicken, lean cuts of meat, eggs, whey protein, etc..

* Buy foods with complex carbs: sweet potatoes, oatmeal, whole-grain breads and cereals, fruits, etc..

* Buy foods with healthy fats: fish oil, olive oil, canola oil

I need guidance

Alright, I think I've got something resembling a routine in place now.
I'm heading to the gym 3 times a week on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. My workout so far involves:
-11 minute treadmill run. I managed 2.31 km today and would like to be approaching 2.4 km within a month or so. Seems achievable.
- 6 sets of 6 shoulder presses. I'm only managing 18 kg at the moment, but it's becoming easier.
- 6 sets of 6 40 kg leg presses.
- 6 sets of 6 32 kg chest presses.
- 40 inclined sit-ups. I'm guesstimating ~50 degrees.
- 6 sets of 6 32 kg seated rows.
- As many press-ups as I can manage.
- As many chin-ups as I can manage.
I'm not sure about the order of exercises, but in terms of rest periods and muscle area focus, it seems to fit together well. Takes about 1.5-2 hours including machine wait.

As for the diet, I'm including more vegetables in dinner, I've switched to brown bread and am having corn flakes for breakfast.
I know I should be preparing cooked foods in the mornings, but I can't seem to do it. Maybe it's the clean-up from preparing scrambled eggs and bacon every morning. Still, it's healthier than lucky charms.
I still need more protein though. Occasional intakes of ham and a few extra burgers at dinner aren't cutting it.

I need guidance

If you want to help support a fellow manosphere guy, check out Victor Pride's e-book Body of a Spartan: http://bodyofaspartan.com/

His book is like $20. He used to be a scrawny guy but got jacked. He admits to using gear but his exercise plan is top notch. He takes a lot of it from Mark Rippletoe's Starting Strength which is also a good book: http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-...g+strength

Both books show diagrams on how exercises should be performed. Starting Strength diagrams are a little more thorough than Victor's Body of a Spartan. They go primarily over the Olympic style exercises in order to increase strength and build muscle.

Follow me on Twitter

Read my Blog: Fanghorn Forest