rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

New Posting: Hong Kong?

Hi guys,

My company has an opening in Hong Kong come September and I'm seriously considering applying for it. My buddy who works there is moving back to the US and wants to recommend me for the spot.

I'm currently working for the Korea office and moving to HK comes with a 5K boost in base salary plus a stipend for housing, which i didn't get in Korea.

So far, I've seen a lot of datasheets on partying or visiting HK for a short jaunt, but wondering if anybody here has the lowdown on actually living and working there? specifically, what's it been like living there, how are costs compared to korea or other neighboring countries, which neighborhoods would you live in, nightlife, expenses, etc. the office is located on Queen's Road Central in the CBD of HK.

Hong Kong is awesome if you appreciate sophistication and can afford to have a good time.

Housing is very expensive and the cover for a decent club can be $50 USD.

I'm the King of Beijing!

Quote: (06-18-2014 12:00 AM)GyopoPlayboy Wrote:  

Hi guys,

My company has an opening in Hong Kong come September and I'm seriously considering applying for it. My buddy who works there is moving back to the US and wants to recommend me for the spot.

I'm currently working for the Korea office and moving to HK comes with a 5K boost in base salary plus a stipend for housing, which i didn't get in Korea.

So far, I've seen a lot of datasheets on partying or visiting HK for a short jaunt, but wondering if anybody here has the lowdown on actually living and working there? specifically, what's it been like living there, how are costs compared to korea or other neighboring countries, which neighborhoods would you live in, nightlife, expenses, etc. the office is located on Queen's Road Central in the CBD of HK.

I lived in Hong Kong for a year, will give you the lowdown.

You'd be a fool not to apply. Hong Kong is an amazing city! Make sure your company assists you with accommodation as that's expensive.

Quote: (06-18-2014 12:00 AM)GyopoPlayboy Wrote:  

Hi guys,

There are some great things about HK, and some not so great. For your situation, firs the good:
- Lan Kwai Fong - you working in CBD (and assuming you get a living stipend, you can live in soho or mid-levels) will be just a stones throw away from LKF. Great for street pick up, plenty of clubs, basically the asian version of mardi gras but almost every weekend. Shit gets wild.
- if you are white or asian, should be good. But granted, hong kong is so internationalized that the novelty factor carries far less than other asian cities (like Taipei, mainland China, Philippines, etc).
- costs are high or relatively low depending on how you want to live. If you eat out all the time and stick to expat haunts, it can be just as expensive as NYC. If you cook for yourself and are frugal, things are relatively inexpensive. Remember, save for the expats and the rich mainlanders, native hong kongers are by and large not wealthy and have to ink out an existence in the world's densest urban jungle somehow.
- In terms of neighborhoods, I would live in soho/poho/sheung wan/causeway bay (i particularly like causeway bay)/midlevels if you can afford them. Again, depends on what your company is shelling out for you. Granted, living on the kowloon side is generally much cheaper, but I have a feeling you will be partying mostly with expats in LKF, so an island location is more suitable.
- overall, living expense wise, Hong Kong is no cheaper than a first tier city in North America ie. Toronto, Chicago, Boston. Probably cheaper, overall, than NYC. But not by much because of the equally insane rents.

The bad:
- as mentioned before, expensive rent.
- how do you feel about insane density, nosie pollution, and crowds? Because Hong Kong leads the world in all of that in my opinion. Remember, this is the city that has twice as many skyscrapers in the same area as NYC. If you don't like it, it can be quite overwhelming. I would recommend making a visit - it's hard to really get a grasp of the sheer mind-dizzying density and flurry of activity that is HK until you see it for yourself.
- this might put off some people, but hong kong reminded me of one giant chinatown sprinkled with luxury stores and shopping centers. It is very, very different architecturally from the rest of China, and from Taiwan.

Hong Kong is a great city, I know of people who work out there and they love it. It is Western in many senses, but they still have more of a traditional focus, i.e. martial arts etc. Probably more so than mainland China, because they didn't have communism.

If you look like a foreigner, prepare to be singled out from the crowd in the streets and hassled by parasitic Indians who try to push their "tailored shirts" and other garbage onto you.
Really annoying in what would otherwise be a fantastic city!!

Quote: (06-18-2014 11:22 PM)rhr Wrote:  

If you look like a foreigner, prepare to be singled out from the crowd in the streets and hassled by parasitic Indians who try to push their "tailored shirts" and other garbage onto you.

lol but this really only happens in tsim tsa tsui.

Quote: (06-19-2014 07:43 AM)SHANbangs Wrote:  

Unfortunately it happens all over Kowloon, not just in that human garbage infested building. Other than that tough I would highly recommend HK if you can afford it.

Quote: (06-19-2014 09:48 AM)rhr Wrote:  

Quote: (06-19-2014 07:43 AM)SHANbangs Wrote:  

Unfortunately it happens all over Kowloon, not just in that human garbage infested building. Other than that tough I would highly recommend HK if you can afford it.

Just stay away from Nathan Road. You'll be fine.

I'm the King of Beijing!

I've only visited Hong Kong briefly, but really liked it. It's definitely an interesting place, with the right mix of wealth and sophistication combined with an edge, that you won't find in sanitized Singapore. If someone offered me a well paying job in Hong Kong, I'd be over there today. Lots of opportunities for weekend trips as well. I think Bangkok and SEA is only 2.5 hours away, Taiwan about an hour and of course the rest of China. What I like about Hong Kong too is that you've got all the wide array of interests, hobbies and niches available that you would expect from a first world city, yet you also have places like Wanchai which are leftovers from when Hong Kong was a seedy port full of 'luv you long time' girls. Though there are a lot of 'banker wankers' as one girl I met called them, who tend to drive up prices on everything including what a girl expects. Tough competition in parts.

Important: Prepaid phones!!
Quick question my google research resulted in nothing.
does anyone know where to get prepaid SIM card which do not expire after a while of not being used?
I need a permanent phone sim even if it's not been in use for a couple of months.

Thanks in advance!

just walk into any china mobile/1-2-free/pccw/etc a shit ton of phone carriers in hong kong. all have sim cards that function the way you described. you buy one, add money, refill once you've used it up.

I'm headed to HK this weekend from Taipei, (Sat-Mon), and am planning on doing a Wan Chai Sunday. Any tips?

Quote: (07-02-2014 12:36 AM)prosebeforehoes Wrote:  

I'm headed to HK this weekend from Taipei, (Sat-Mon), and am planning on doing a Wan Chai Sunday. Any tips?

Ya, makes sure than you are in Wan Chai by 2 PM on Sunday afternoon so that you'll have lots of time to decide with Filipino servant on her day off will be going home with you. She'll need to be back at work by 10 PM at the latest, so you're gonna be talking afternoon delight.

I'm the King of Beijing!

I worked and lived in HK for 1.5 years.

My overall conclusion is that it is a very fun place to visit, especially an extended visit (1-4 months), but not a good place to live.

This is mostly because it is not a very comfortable place to live, and the locals are just a negative bunch overall. I'll go over the bad first, and then the good.

Lack of Comfort

1) Like one poster noted, it is incredibly crowded. Much more so than NYC. Morning commutes on the MTR (Subway) or buses are super packed. You'll often have to wait for 2-3 trains/buses to pass to actually get on one during the commute.

2) Housing is a huge problem here. Re-read this section if you have to.

The apartments are extremely small, the buildings are poorly maintained and rent is prohibitively expensive. Most buildings there are at least 30-50 years old. A 30 year old building in NYC or Chicago is for the most part, kept up well. A 30 year old building in HK looks ghetto as hell. You'll often walk through parts of the city and glance at the buildings and say to yourself, this looks worse than the hoods in American cities, by far. In fact, my friend from the barrio who visited remarked that the place was worse than the hoods he grew up in.

The interiors of apartments are often done well and refurbished, but there can be problems, such as pests (cockroaches) and plumbing issues. On numerous occasions the toilets in the two buildings I lived in would not flush for a day (perhaps one day every couple of months) due to nearby construction affecting the pipes.

This isn't just me. One guy I worked with would get a day every now and then where he would not get hot water at all, due to building maintenance and construction issues.

Finally, the cost is prohibitive. If you want to live by yourself anywhere near Central, Sheung Wan, Kennedy Town, Causeway Bay or some other nicer area on the main island, prepare to pay at least USD1800-2000/month for a good place (think closer to 2500). This is the minimum for a place that you can reasonably rely on to give you shelter.

Even if you go off the main island, to a place such as Olympic (which is a popular place to live in Kowloon, since it has direct MTR train access to HK station on the main island), a studio 15-20 minutes walk from the station can cost USD2000/month.

If your gonna live there, you need to push to get your company to help you with housing as much as possible.

Also, to enter an apartment lease, you need to pay 3.5 months rent up front.
So basically, you better have 8000-10k in your bank account just to get into a place. This will cover 1) first month 2) TWO months deposit and 3) half a month to the leasing agent you used. This is standard. Also, most leases are 2 years, and can only be broken early after the first year.

Landlords, especially if they are local Cantonese people, are not helpful if you have problems with the place. I had a huge problem with leaks, and it took 4 months to get fixed. My friend had a problem with AC, and they did nothing about it. Try to get a place owned by an expat if possible.

The worst part is, landlords can and customarily do raise the rent considerably after the first year of the lease is over. Thus, people in HK are constantly moving every year. I had one friend who paid a rent of about 1700/month. After the first year, the landlord doubled it. This sort of practice happens consistently.

3) Pollution - HK has some nice beaches, great places to hike, and some amazing views of the skyline, which I'm sure you already know about. However, the pollution in the city is real bad. Its perhaps not Mainland China bad, but its pretty bad, so much so that your stunning views of the city will often be marred by an ever present haze.

Due to the bad pollution, many people have terrible respiratory problems. You'll often hear locals with bronchitis, coughing all nasty on the bus or train. They don't cover their mouths either. I know two expat guys that got pneumonia. I got a respiratory infection that lasted two months. Its a real problem and what eventually drove me out of HK.

Unfriendly Locals

I want to preface this part by letting you know that I am not white or Asian. But before people start claiming that the locals weren't friendly to me because I have light brown skin, I should state that my best friends in HK were Japanese and Taiwanese, and reported the same - the locals are just not friendly at all. This presents itself in a few ways:

1) Just being miserable - Locals won't want to talk on the bus or MTR very much (though every now and then you can meet a cute girl in these situations if you try). They won't speak much in the club or bar. They are always in a hurry. The taxi drivers are very rude and don't speak English well, and if you are slow even getting your ass into the taxi, you will get yelled at.

The service in restaurants is not very good, and even friends of mine who ordered in Mandarin or Cantonese would report that it doesn't matter, the waiters are rude. They will often get your order wrong - I've never been to a place where they got my order wrong so often.

2) Shun outsiders - More than just being rude, HK locals just aren't very open to outsiders, no matter how international the city is. While many of the younger, richer ones have studied abroad and people generally speak pretty damn good English, they just don't prefer outsiders.

At work, don't be surprised to have locals come up to you and tell you how much they hate mainlanders. That's fine, they may have valid reasons - but they will constantly tell you about this over and over again. Growing up in L.A., I just didn't feel like listening to hate, regardless of who it was directed at.

Its also no secret they treat their filipino and indonesian housekeepers terribly, and there were at least 3-5 stories that came out while I was there where the housekeepers were either abused or outright killed by their HK local bosses.

The Good

1) Great Expat Scene - My social life in HK was pretty darn nice. I had friends from England, France, Taiwan, China, Japan etc. The expats are more sophisticated overall than Japan (where I also lived for 1.5 years) mostly cuz they have jobs requiring advanced degrees, rather than English teaching.

The benefit of this is that people always want to go out. You can always find someone who wants to go to lunch, dinner, clubs, bars, hiking, etc.

I had so much going on that I'd often have to make plans with people 1-2 weeks in advance just to keep it organized.

Regarding expat girls, there are two types: White, and Asian. Don't expect many latinas or black chicks like you might see in Tokyo. This was a downer for me. While the reputation of the white expat girls is generally good, its not going to be better than a top tier American cities. Most of the expat girls are from England, Australia, France and while you will see a good amount of cuties, its not nearly as good as any night out in L.A. or shit ,even Arizona where I live now.

The Asian expat girls are generally better looking and will be more open to dating than the Asian local girls.

2) Travel Hub - There isn't a better place to take off from to anywhere in Asia than HK. The airport is incredibly fast and efficient, and there is a bullet train from downtown to the airport that takes a mere 30 minutes. Amazing.

Also, if you end up working in HK, you will get an HK ID card, which allows you to bypass immigration in and out. Huge time saver.

3) Low taxes - I saved a buttload of money in just 1.5 years even with the horrible rent and high price for western food in HK, because the tax was laughably low. Laughing to the bank? Shit, I was straight crying from tears of joy to the bank.

--

But overall HK, was not for me. Its a nice place to party, but its too crowded. The clubs are not comfortable at all, it almost becomes a wrestling match to get through. The locals were extremely negative, very focused on money and in love with themselves. Ironically my two best friends in HK were mainlanders, and I even dated one for a short time. Listening to local people spit poison about everyone they hated just got tiring.

The apartments are, for lack of a better word, ghetto. House problems will crop up and you never want to feel bad about the place where you eat sleep and shit.

Its a fun place to visit for an extended stay, but you will need to be patient and make a solid salary to get by if you live there for longer than a few months.

Quote: (07-05-2014 12:34 AM)DonovanVC Wrote:  

Regarding expat girls, there are two types: White, and Asian. Don't expect many latinas or black chicks like you might see in Tokyo. This was a downer for me. While the reputation of the white expat girls is generally good, its not going to be better than a top tier American cities. Most of the expat girls are from England, Australia, France and while you will see a good amount of cuties, its not nearly as good as any night out in L.A. or shit ,even Arizona where I live now.

Does that mean that white girls in the 18-21 age range are hard to be found there as expats tend to be slightly older? [Image: sad.gif]

I'm in Hong Kong solo, killing the weekend after a work thing.

I've heard about Wanchai Sunday's, but what's there to do on a Saturday night? I'm on a budget so I can't ball out. Most of these data sheets are dated.

Quote: (07-05-2014 06:17 AM)prosebeforehoes Wrote:  

I'm in Hong Kong solo, killing the weekend after a work thing.

I've heard about Wanchai Sunday's, but what's there to do on a Saturday night? I'm on a budget so I can't ball out. Most of these data sheets are dated.

The 7-11 in LKF. You can buy alcohol inside and drink it outside.

Hit on the women in tiny black dresses who come to do the same.

I'm the King of Beijing!

Quote: (07-05-2014 12:34 AM)DonovanVC Wrote:  

I worked and lived in HK for 1.5 years.

My overall conclusion is that it is a very fun place to visit, especially an extended visit (1-4 months), but not a good place to live.

This is mostly because it is not a very comfortable place to live, and the locals are just a negative bunch overall. I'll go over the bad first, and then the good.

Lack of Comfort

1) Like one poster noted, it is incredibly crowded. Much more so than NYC. Morning commutes on the MTR (Subway) or buses are super packed. You'll often have to wait for 2-3 trains/buses to pass to actually get on one during the commute.

2) Housing is a huge problem here. Re-read this section if you have to.

The apartments are extremely small, the buildings are poorly maintained and rent is prohibitively expensive. Most buildings there are at least 30-50 years old. A 30 year old building in NYC or Chicago is for the most part, kept up well. A 30 year old building in HK looks ghetto as hell. You'll often walk through parts of the city and glance at the buildings and say to yourself, this looks worse than the hoods in American cities, by far. In fact, my friend from the barrio who visited remarked that the place was worse than the hoods he grew up in.

The interiors of apartments are often done well and refurbished, but there can be problems, such as pests (cockroaches) and plumbing issues. On numerous occasions the toilets in the two buildings I lived in would not flush for a day (perhaps one day every couple of months) due to nearby construction affecting the pipes.

This isn't just me. One guy I worked with would get a day every now and then where he would not get hot water at all, due to building maintenance and construction issues.

Finally, the cost is prohibitive. If you want to live by yourself anywhere near Central, Sheung Wan, Kennedy Town, Causeway Bay or some other nicer area on the main island, prepare to pay at least USD1800-2000/month for a good place (think closer to 2500). This is the minimum for a place that you can reasonably rely on to give you shelter.

Even if you go off the main island, to a place such as Olympic (which is a popular place to live in Kowloon, since it has direct MTR train access to HK station on the main island), a studio 15-20 minutes walk from the station can cost USD2000/month.

If your gonna live there, you need to push to get your company to help you with housing as much as possible.

Also, to enter an apartment lease, you need to pay 3.5 months rent up front.
So basically, you better have 8000-10k in your bank account just to get into a place. This will cover 1) first month 2) TWO months deposit and 3) half a month to the leasing agent you used. This is standard. Also, most leases are 2 years, and can only be broken early after the first year.

Landlords, especially if they are local Cantonese people, are not helpful if you have problems with the place. I had a huge problem with leaks, and it took 4 months to get fixed. My friend had a problem with AC, and they did nothing about it. Try to get a place owned by an expat if possible.

The worst part is, landlords can and customarily do raise the rent considerably after the first year of the lease is over. Thus, people in HK are constantly moving every year. I had one friend who paid a rent of about 1700/month. After the first year, the landlord doubled it. This sort of practice happens consistently.

3) Pollution - HK has some nice beaches, great places to hike, and some amazing views of the skyline, which I'm sure you already know about. However, the pollution in the city is real bad. Its perhaps not Mainland China bad, but its pretty bad, so much so that your stunning views of the city will often be marred by an ever present haze.

Due to the bad pollution, many people have terrible respiratory problems. You'll often hear locals with bronchitis, coughing all nasty on the bus or train. They don't cover their mouths either. I know two expat guys that got pneumonia. I got a respiratory infection that lasted two months. Its a real problem and what eventually drove me out of HK.

Unfriendly Locals

I want to preface this part by letting you know that I am not white or Asian. But before people start claiming that the locals weren't friendly to me because I have light brown skin, I should state that my best friends in HK were Japanese and Taiwanese, and reported the same - the locals are just not friendly at all. This presents itself in a few ways:

1) Just being miserable - Locals won't want to talk on the bus or MTR very much (though every now and then you can meet a cute girl in these situations if you try). They won't speak much in the club or bar. They are always in a hurry. The taxi drivers are very rude and don't speak English well, and if you are slow even getting your ass into the taxi, you will get yelled at.

The service in restaurants is not very good, and even friends of mine who ordered in Mandarin or Cantonese would report that it doesn't matter, the waiters are rude. They will often get your order wrong - I've never been to a place where they got my order wrong so often.

2) Shun outsiders - More than just being rude, HK locals just aren't very open to outsiders, no matter how international the city is. While many of the younger, richer ones have studied abroad and people generally speak pretty damn good English, they just don't prefer outsiders.

At work, don't be surprised to have locals come up to you and tell you how much they hate mainlanders. That's fine, they may have valid reasons - but they will constantly tell you about this over and over again. Growing up in L.A., I just didn't feel like listening to hate, regardless of who it was directed at.

Its also no secret they treat their filipino and indonesian housekeepers terribly, and there were at least 3-5 stories that came out while I was there where the housekeepers were either abused or outright killed by their HK local bosses.

The Good

1) Great Expat Scene - My social life in HK was pretty darn nice. I had friends from England, France, Taiwan, China, Japan etc. The expats are more sophisticated overall than Japan (where I also lived for 1.5 years) mostly cuz they have jobs requiring advanced degrees, rather than English teaching.

The benefit of this is that people always want to go out. You can always find someone who wants to go to lunch, dinner, clubs, bars, hiking, etc.

I had so much going on that I'd often have to make plans with people 1-2 weeks in advance just to keep it organized.

The Asian expat girls are generally better looking and will be more open to dating than the Asian local girls.

2) Travel Hub - There isn't a better place to take off from to anywhere in Asia than HK. The airport is incredibly fast and efficient, and there is a bullet train from downtown to the airport that takes a mere 30 minutes. Amazing.

Also, if you end up working in HK, you will get an HK ID card, which allows you to bypass immigration in and out. Huge time saver.

3) Low taxes - I saved a buttload of money in just 1.5 years even with the horrible rent and high price for western food in HK, because the tax was laughably low. Laughing to the bank? Shit, I was straight crying from tears of joy to the bank.

--

But overall HK, was not for me. Its a nice place to party, but its too crowded. The clubs are not comfortable at all, it almost becomes a wrestling match to get through. The locals were extremely negative, very focused on money and in love with themselves. Ironically my two best friends in HK were mainlanders, and I even dated one for a short time. Listening to local people spit poison about everyone they hated just got tiring.

The apartments are, for lack of a better word, ghetto. House problems will crop up and you never want to feel bad about the place where you eat sleep and shit.

Its a fun place to visit for an extended stay, but you will need to be patient and make a solid salary to get by if you live there for longer than a few months.

Would be curious to know what line of work you are in (can be vague and general if you want) - i just want to get a ballpark estimate of what kind of salary i should be commanding to be in your shoes of "crying tears of joy to the bank."

Also, would be curious to know how you got out of HK - my usual understanding is that expat-ing it to HK is a one way street (but that might just be my particular indusry, which is law/compliance).

Some more thoughts inspired by your post:

1) the official sport of hong kong is "let's see how quickly we can evade passengers trying to get on our bus"

2) the white girls there should be more open to getting boned because expats are largely yellow feverish and the locals don't do shit

3) yes, can't be emphasized enough - buildings are ghetto. IT'S FUCKING CHINATOWN ON STEROIDS.

4) i actually think the locals are pretty nice if you are looking at the young/educated class. They were very nice to me, at least.

5) but the young/educated (at least in financial services and law) are boring as fuck. Not very bright. Rule abiding to a fault. Dealing with HK HR professionals was a nightmare. Also, listen to that HK english and you want to shoot yourself (the rare case exists when it is quite cute).

6) the local girls try hard in their appearance. I noticed more girls putting effort into their makeup and dress than mainland girls. My general point of reference is shanghai and beijing. Also, the hk frame is petite. Me likes.

7) game the mainland girls too. They are lonely (props if you speak mandarin) and discriminated against.

8) i feel bad for the domestic helpers. But you know what? your sympathy quickly gets reduced when you are out in central on a sunday and they are swarming any public place worth visiting, taking selfies and stopping foot traffic. This is not to be mistaken for a wanchai sunday, which is god's gift to mankind.

9) they seem to be shockingly ignorant of the mainland. Yes, they have june 4th protests and commemorate tiananmen, but that's about it. It's just a slogan at this point. The young have no idea what the mainland is actually like - China and the mainland to them are just the authoritarian bogeyman.

10) fuck cantonese food. Except roast goose - that shit is great. It's really hard to eat low carb here. Living in hk also made me miss carribean food, good indian food, jerk chicken, pho, and korean. Good luck finding a respectable mexican joint HAHAHAHA

Posted this travel deal elsewhere, here's the link. 662 from the USA roundtrip.

http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-38140-...#pid779649

I've referral links for most credit cards, PM me for them & thanks if you use them
Strip away judeo-christian ethics ingraining sex is dirty/bad & the idea we're taking advantage of these girls disintegrates. Once you've lost that ethical quandary (which it isn't outside religion) then they've no reason to play the victim, you've no reason to feel the rogue. The interaction is to their benefit.
Frequent Travs
Phils SZ China

Hey guys, I'm going to be in Hong Kong tonight (Sunday) through Tuesday 30th for a visa run, before going to Guangzhou. PM me if you want to meet up.

Is Hong Kong a no go zone at the moment?

Going to HK end of November for a 3 day stopover, will also check out Wan Chai on Sunday.

Is AirBnB a good option in HK or is it better to find a hotel? Don't want to spend over $100/night on a hotel room or apartment

Brodiaga,
Hotels in HKG are expensive and the rooms small. I was paying 130$/night for a room the size of a mid size western bathroom right off Jordan station. Had I known that before hand I would have paid less and got an apart from airbnb.

I keep reading about the maids day on Sundays in Wanchai. What it is like? Is it all these girls who are out aggressively looking for the D from early morning to late night?,anyone in here experienced it? Would love to hear more on what it is like.