rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Cross-country business opportunities in Asia

So during my recent ten day trip in Thailand, I did a lot of consumer good price surveying and determined that there is a sizable price-gap between Thai goods and Chinese goods at the same level, with Thai products not only much cheaper (sometimes 20 percent of the cost, even for those made in China its lower cost in Thailand) but also very often significantly higher quality.

As a result of this, and the fact that I can pretty much cross the border with any soft goods I want back into China without ever being questioned, I am going to begin to exploit this arbitrage with an online store partner in China. Basically, travel, fill up suitcases, sell on Chinese shopping sites. I am fairly sure that I can clear a few thousand USD extra each month per suitcase (for the business and its participants). Its not a ton of money, but I like the travel anyway, I want to see more of SE Asia than I have, I like an excuse to be away from home on my own, and hey, 15-20K extra a year or paying for nice travel isn't too shabby.

It of course made me think of two things - one, how to scale the product line (in different countries close by in Asia) and two, how to bring in more product (i.e. more westerner friends who have no issue bringing goods into China). I'm working on both, but the reason I'm posting here is regarding the first item, that I'm interested in the countries where I haven't spent much time, the products available in those countries, and what might be profitable as an import for a growing Chinese population that has a lot of disposable income and is very heavily interested in foreign goods.

Love to hear from those of you in SE Asia in particular, as its closest, but I'd definitely enjoy anyones' input. I feel like I have a good grasp on Phils (which I didn't think had that much to offer in this regard), Thailand and to a lesser degree, Vietnam. I'm curious about Cambodia, Laos, Burma/Myanmar, Bangladesh, and Indonesia, mostly. All of these are fairly easy to easy trips, many of them have sizable textile/soft goods industries, and prices in all of them, I imagine, are similar or lower than whats available in Bangkok.

I've referral links for most credit cards, PM me for them & thanks if you use them
Strip away judeo-christian ethics ingraining sex is dirty/bad & the idea we're taking advantage of these girls disintegrates. Once you've lost that ethical quandary (which it isn't outside religion) then they've no reason to play the victim, you've no reason to feel the rogue. The interaction is to their benefit.
Frequent Travs
Phils SZ China

Wasn't sure where to dump this, so I'm putting it here. Its not the right place, but I searched and didn't really find an applicable thread. Perhaps VP knows where this belongs, he's always all over this stuff.
The HK Trade and Development Council is having its annual licensing fair. Good, high level speakers on licensing deals, and FREE Admission to attend. January 12-14, here's the link.

Per the email I received the code for free attendance is B3LIFESTYLE

I've referral links for most credit cards, PM me for them & thanks if you use them
Strip away judeo-christian ethics ingraining sex is dirty/bad & the idea we're taking advantage of these girls disintegrates. Once you've lost that ethical quandary (which it isn't outside religion) then they've no reason to play the victim, you've no reason to feel the rogue. The interaction is to their benefit.
Frequent Travs
Phils SZ China

Quote: (06-14-2014 02:01 AM)Global Entry Wrote:  

It of course made me think of two things - one, how to scale the product line (in different countries close by in Asia) and two, how to bring in more product (i.e. more westerner friends who have no issue bringing goods into China). I'm working on both, but the reason I'm posting here is regarding the first item, that I'm interested in the countries where I haven't spent much time, the products available in those countries, and what might be profitable as an import for a growing Chinese population that has a lot of disposable income and is very heavily interested in foreign goods.

I like your style, Global Entry. You and I would probably hit it off if we met up.

Anyway, your predicament regarding how to scale up reminds me of the utility of this startup:

http://www.shyp.com/

I hope you can make use of that.

Great stuff as usual Global!
This would be very interesting to me as well.
No worries about where to post this thread. It can be in either the Travel or the Lifestyle forum.

Will be following this with great interest!