rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Hitchhiking! What's your take?

I saw two Polish hitchikers at the roadside the other day so this got me thinking about it.

Have you ever been hitchiking?
If you have, what are your experiences?
Have you ever picked up hitchhikers?

I guess most people relate hitchhikers to some brokeass backpackers, which is probably true in many cases but I've met a bunch of other people doing it aswell.
Some people only uses hitchhiking when they are traveling, and some of them I've met had really impressive journeys and juicy stories.

Personally, I'm not a hitchhiker but I've done it a few times.
The times I've done it were when I was bored and craved for some action and adventure.
Life begins where the comfort zone ends and going out alone in the middle of nowhere in a foreign country and trying to get someone to pick you up is definitely a step outside the comfort zone. It's all about self improvement and self development.

You must expect the unexpected and unexpected things will certainly happen. You have no idea what will happen, who will pick you up, if anybody will even pick you up, or how far will you reach, you maybe have to spend the night outside.
It will be some sort of adventure for sure. You will learn things about life and yourself and you will most likely get under the skin of local regular johns.

First time I tried hitchhiking was in Plodviv,Bulgaria and I wanted to reach Istanbul. That is not a short journey and I was very optimistic to say the least.
However, I looked on he map of Plodviv and took a taxi to a good strategical hitchhiking point and streched out my thumb. After 5 minutes an old Bulgarian man took me to the outside of the town Haskovo. From that place an man from Azerbaijan with a black BMW e30 picked me up. This guy didn't just take me to the Turkish border, he took me all the way to center of the monster city Istanbul! We could communicate in little in Russian and he bought me meal and tea at a restaurant.
True gentleman.

Second time didn't go so well. I was riding on the waves of my hitchiking success so I decided to hitchhike out of Istanbul aswell. I went to the last metro stop and from there I wanted to get to the big highway going east. After a few minutes a young couple picked me up and agreed to take me to the highway. He drove a few minutes on the highway and I told him several times that I'm fine here and he can let me out. He didn't listen and continued. After few attempts I lost my patience and told him loudly to stop the fucking car. Then he pulled over to another road and locked the goddamn doors He started to scream that I'm a total dumbass who want to get off at the big highway and it's very dangerous. He was afraid that I would be robbed and raped. This guy took me to the fucking airport on the Asian side. I was pissed off and told him that he just ruined my day. From that airport I had to wait a long time for a bus to take me to my next destination.
Result: wasted time, lost money and hope for Turkish people.

Third time was at a busstatiom outside the Turkish border next to the Iraqi border.
I had a high fever and it was late in the evening. I wanted to get to Iraq but I was so tired and sick so I just wanted find a place in town where I could sleep and rest before crossing the border. When I was walking towards the town I streched out my thumb in hope of that someone would drive me to the town center. But then a minivan full of Kurds pulled over and let me know that they are going to Erbil in Iraq and I can join them. I did, but I felt so sick so I started to think that someone had slipped me a mickey. The border crossing procedure took hours. On the Iraqi side we stopped at some resturant and they invited me to join a full table of food. It was funny even if nobody spoke English.
They took me to the centre of Erbil. It was in the middle of the night, I had no map or idea where to go so I just started to bash on every hotel door. It took some time before I found a place I was satisfied with.
Hitchhiking into Iraq during nightime

I'd say hitchiking involves a lot hassle but it's an experience for sure.
I simply live for adventure but I can't see myself doing it again if I don't need to.

This is my take, what is yours?

My experience:

When I was in High School, I was driving around town (very small city) with my gf. It was a huge snowstorm, no one on the roads, it was very serene really. There was a guy hitchiking in the storm. I turned around to pick him up. He was on his way to the hospital down the road because his sister had given birth that day. He didn't have a car, and the taxi service/buses were all shut down. I drove him about a mile or so to the hospital. Nice guy, and my gf said she would never forget that I did that.

My Father's experience:

My Dad hitchhiked across country when he was young, so every so often he would pick up hitchhiker's as well. As I got older, and I guess as he got older too, he stopped doing this. I would see a hitchiker on the road and say "Dad look, let's pick him up!", and he would decline. Eventually I asked why we didn't do that anymore, and he said if it were just him he might, but since I'm with him he didn't want to. Then he went into the dangers of hitchhiking for both the hitcher and the driver.

I asked him if he ever had any danger hitchhiking and he said once a guy wanted him to do something sexual for him. My Dad said he wouldn't, the guy pulled over, my Dad go out, the driver got his shotgun, probably out of the trunk, and pointed it at him and said if he walked away he would shoot him. My Dad said he would have to shoot him because he's not doing that, and walked away.

I hope my Dad really was that brave to walk away.

Being raised with that story I still picked up that guy with my gf during the snowstorm. I didn't really think about it, I just felt it was something that needed to be done.

I see them all the time in Poland.
It definitely looks like a recipe for rape to me!

I have a relative who was hitch hiking through the Us in the 80's.
The guy that was driving got into a big car accident. When the police showed up the driver said that the hitch hiker tried to take control of the car and attack the driver and that why he crashed.
I think my relative ended up going to jail until there was a court hearing and he ended up getting deported from the US in the end.

The less fucks you give, the more fucks you get.

I have hitchhiked from Budapest to Istanbul and from there to Amsterdam. About a five thousand km journey (without a road map). It created a lot of experiences for me and startled my desire for travel and adventure

One time, for example, we were taking a small train ride from Serbia to Bulgaria, as hitchiking borders proved to be difficult. The train crossed the Serbian border, and then you some kind of no man's land for a few miles. In that part, all the gypsies (we were the only two tourists in the train) starting unpacking their bags and taking out these sealed white packages. I asked what it was in English, and they told me: 'K'. The only other word that I understood they were muttering to each other was something like 'mafia'. So now were fucked I thought, as they were packing close to 50kgs in the train's ceiling, just next to our coupe, and maybe even got the mafia involved.

Me and my buddy were in full panic mode, even more when the train stopped at the Bulgarian border station and these enormous guys from the military police started looking around. Eventually they started tearing down the ceiling and they found the coke. Everyone got checked after that and they asked us what were doing on this train etc. In my mind I was already calling my mother from the Bulgarian jail to tell her I would never come back due to a lifelong sentence for drug trafficking.

But the cops calmed down and nobody told who's drugs it were. We were afraid of speaking our minds as well, as the police could have been corrupt. So we sat silent and after two hours of interviews and searches the train moved on. It's an experience I never forget.

I did started hitchhiking while having no choice. All I had was the desire to see new places and a lot of time, while money was rare. Later I often did it for the fun. Great way to push yourself out of the comfort zone and to have hours of conversation with people who you usually would not even meet in the first place.

Damn, it is sad, if I think about all the missed networking chances, as you often get a ride from business people. I didnt think about this during this time and only took their advance "do it while you are young and before it is too late" for granted. Fair enough.

Most rides tend to be boring and often it was just a way to safe money, but then there have always been experiences I will never forget. Smoking pot with the driver or turning down other drugs, getting invited to stay at strangers places out of humbleness, the freedom to be stuck in the middle of the nowhere in a foreign country... Never got laid though. After these experiences I started doing it for the joy. There is no better way to really get to know the people of a country and to experience their kindness.

It can also be an emotional roller-coaster. You can be stuck for hours and hours and start to question everything and the next second you get your direct lift to the final destination that is 1000 kilometer away.

I have tens of thousands kilometer hitchhiking in many different countries and continents under my belt and it has always been a great way of traveling. Let me know if anybody needs advices.

I hitchhiked all over the US.

[Image: going-north-hitchhiking.jpg]

It was awesome.

I have a lot of stories but one stands out.

Some crazy looking fucker picked me up somewhere in Indiana (I think). He was driving some beat up old truck and had prison tattoos all over him.

Once he relaxed around me he started telling me about how he murdered a dude in New York once. He never got caught. I looked him in the eyes and I tell you what, they were stone cold. Just hollow.

Ok, one more.

Another dude picks me up in Ohio. Asks me where I'm going. I say "right up to the juncture". He says cool, I'll take you there. He was a businessman in a nice suit. Told me all about his family and his kids. Very pleasant conversation. We get to the stop and he asks me "do you happen to like guys?" I said "nope." and he says "ok, have a good one." lol

I found this gif of VincentVinturis hitchhiking days, here he is talking about smashing chicks.
[Image: tumblr_mhrwjsKRta1qenlr5o1_500.gif]

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin

Hitchiked around Croatia and Bosnia last year for about a month. About 40 cars ridden in the end. Meet lots of good people.

First guy who picked me up outside of Split was an old seaman and spent the time telling me his story's. But he was driving so slow that after 3 hours we were not even close to my destination.

In the next car who stopped contained two local football hooligans and a fuck doll. The guys were cool in the beginning giving me beer and being friendly. Later on I understand that they are on the way to some Island where they will spend the vacation. They insisted that I would join them and I insisted not to. My plan was to go north to Rijeka. The driver went furious, stopped the car and as I stepped out he was screaming "FUCK YOU SATOSHI FUCK YOU AND YOUR RIJEKA!!!". I was laughing hard at his sudden rage. "DON'T CALL ME AND FUCK YOU!!!". About fifthteen minutes before we were planing on being business partners renting his apartments. Luckily they kicked me out close to a small town and after a 2km walk I found a hostel. Those guys also smashed into a parked car during that ride.

Another time I was lucky to be picked up by a guy and his girlfriend. They invited me to put up my tent in there very beautiful garden. The view from there might have been the best I've ever seen and they sold me some great weed. They were also growing opium together with some vegetables. After trying for three hours in 40 degree heat to get a ride out of Sarajevo towards Belgrade I gave up and took a taxi to the bus station. In Belgrade I rented a nice central apartment for a few days thanks to saving so much money on transport.

Good times for sure although I didn't get laid at all but that was not the purpose either.

Hitchhiking around Africa would be really cool.

Honestly with the 24/7 media these days any sane person for the most part is scared to death of strangers and anyone trying to pick you up is probably gonna try some gay shit. I think there's certain areas of the country or world where things are still kinday happy go lucky hippy bohemianish where its an attitude of why not pick up a hitchiker, do a kind deed, whatever, most places though I don't think it's really safe or practical anymore.

Quote: (05-13-2014 12:54 PM)Satoshi Wrote:  

Hitchhiking around Africa would be really cool.

A friend of mine did go all the way from north to South Africa.

For Africa you really need a lot of patience and have to get prepared to uncomfortable and very though rides. But yea as always, he said it has been one of his hardest but also best experiences in life.

@jamaicabound:
This is the reason why any sane person should avoid the media... It is sad how scared people are of each other these days. Hitchhiking is a great way to realize that many people are still kind and humble and just like to help a stranger.

If it is practical depends on your goal. For just moving from A to B there are probably more effective ways.

In the less developed world people still have good hearts and intentions.

In the west, expect homos to pick you up in exchange for a blow job or wanting to steal from you. Most people will think you're a creep for being a hitchhiker. There are some good people though but they're the minority.

Cattle 5000 Rustlings #RustleHouseRecords #5000Posts
Houston (Montrose), Texas

"May get ugly at times. But we get by. Real Niggas never die." - cdr

Follow the Rustler on Twitter | Telegram: CattleRustler

Game is the difference between a broke average looking dude in a 2nd tier city turning bad bitch feminists into maids and fucktoys and a well to do lawyer with 50x the dough taking 3 dates to bang broads in philly.

Quote: (05-18-2014 12:37 PM)Cattle Rustler Wrote:  

In the less developed world people still have good hearts and intentions.

In the west, expect homos to pick you up in exchange for a blow job or wanting to steal from you. Most people will think you're a creep for being a hitchhiker. There are some good people though but they're the minority.

How many kilometers did you hitchhike in the west?

Hitchhiked around Ireland when I was a teenager. It's generally a good country for hitchhiking in rural areas.

But one time a priest (or a guy wearing a Roman collar) started rubbing my thigh and then tried to feel me up. Told him to fucking stop the car.

Everytime we drive to Belize we pick up hitch hikers in Mexico. I picked up two in Belize last year. Everybody takes the bus but hopes somebody stops to pick them up.

The cycle of disrespect can start with just an appetizer.

Regarding picking up hitchhikers...

If a complete stranger knocked on your door, would you let them in and have them take a nap on your couch?

Fuck that.

Have heard too many 1st account stories of some of the sickest shit happening to people.

I had a guy one time in LA try to open the back door of my car (when I had a 4-door) and get in. I always lock my doors so he couldn't get in and I drove off. Crazy fucker.

One of those rare things thats better done in the 3rd world rather than the 1st world.