rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Girls With Cameras

Girls With Cameras

Some of you may have heard the term 'Guy With Camera' - basically a guy, often lacking experience, who buys a camera for the sole purpose of picking up and bedding women (I have no problem with this personally)

But over the past few years I have witnessed another phenomenon: women (can be any age, but often bored housewives) buying DSLR cameras, calling themselves 'professional photographers' and charging for their (often substandard) work. The hamster runs strong and I've had female 'Girl With Camera' clients at a previous workplace whose work absolutely sucked, but made positive comments as I didn't want to rock the boat or lose business.

I'm not a professional photographer but these women I think are giving true professionals a bad name - a 'Guy With Camera' generally makes it pretty clear what they're about (they're not interested in shooting weddings etc) but these Girls With Cameras often act like they have some talent, and could potentially ruin an important once-in-a-lifetime event in someone's life with their mediocre talent.

Am I going crazy or are other people noticing this trend too?

Girls With Cameras

You are not alone, I go to family events and the people that used to have compact digitals all have dslrs.

Why do the heathen rage and the people imagine a vain thing? Psalm 2:1 KJV

Girls With Cameras

This was basically every white and asian chick at my highschool, but it was Los Angeles so maybe that's why. They would then post the photos they took of each other all over facebook and circlejerk all over it, but they definitely are not the next Terry Richardson.

Girls With Cameras

Reminds me of an event I went to and there was one of those girls working as a "professional photographer." The photos were mediocre with her ugly logo taking up 25% of the bottom. Even a few were in black and white, what a talented artistic woman. /s

Girls With Cameras

I have noticed this.

Its because women want to get paid for doing something that other people are going to admire, whilst not having to obtain any skill or education.
I know dozens of women who have bought these gucci cameras and had a crack at it because they say they want to have a career in photography.
But every single one of these girls are unemployable useless pieces of shit. High school dropouts, or girls that didn't do so well in high school.
They work at the supermarket because they didn't get any further skills or qualifications after high school. They are waiting for the career in photography to kick in.
But they are good looking, so they get by, because they have a boyfriend that supports them.
Which is an endless cycle of them continuing to be a useless piece of shit.
they have no fucking idea about what goes into real photography (neither do I, but I'm sure there is some science n shit in there that is to be learnt. Bending of light and all that good shit).

I'm sure everyone knows at least one girl like this?

How about when you meet people and ask what they do and they say "I'm a freelance photographer".
All my lols
Basically that means they are a un-employable hipster with an expensive camera.
They are not good enough to gain real employment basically. And I'm sure the only skills they posses is being able to make a good hazelnut latte.

/ rant

The less fucks you give, the more fucks you get.

Girls With Cameras

Quote: (04-30-2014 01:11 AM)spalex Wrote:  

I have noticed this.

Its because women want to get paid for doing something that other people are going to admire, whilst not having to obtain any skill or education.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. There are some brilliant female photographers - Kyle Hepp comes to mind - but the 'Girls with Cameras' are doing them a disservice.

Girls With Cameras

I randomly talk to one girl outside of class, her roommate randomly takes pictures of us and sends it to her iPhone group chat.

A bitch and a camera is inseparable.

Nope.

Girls With Cameras

The guy with camera thing cimes off as super desperate and dumb if the guy isnt actually a skilled photographer who underdasnds lighting and the composition of a quality picture. Its even easier today with cheaper technology and digital camerad where one doesnt actually have to develope their own film or pay for that equipment.

I used to work in the modeling industry small company in river north in chicago. I used to help girls get free tfp shoots and stuff on the side and you could pick out the fakers from a mile away.

Girls With Cameras

Quote: (04-30-2014 09:32 AM)jamaicabound Wrote:  

The guy with camera thing cimes off as super desperate and dumb if the guy isnt actually a skilled photographer who underdasnds lighting and the composition of a quality picture. Its even easier today with cheaper technology and digital camerad where one doesnt actually have to develope their own film or pay for that equipment.

I used to work in the modeling industry small company in river north in chicago. I used to help girls get free tfp shoots and stuff on the side and you could pick out the fakers from a mile away.

Please elaborate.

Modeling and photography are interests I could turn into side hustles, but at the same time I don't want to be a "guy with camera" stereotype.

Read my work on Return of Kings here.

Girls With Cameras

Quote: (04-30-2014 11:44 AM)runsonmagic Wrote:  

Quote: (04-30-2014 09:32 AM)jamaicabound Wrote:  

Please elaborate.

Modeling and photography are interests I could turn into side hustles, but at the same time I don't want to be a "guy with camera" stereotype.

This past weekend I built rapport with a few different girls and showed them very good pictures i took (dslr + studio lighting) that I had on my phone. They were impressed but still didn't give me their number. I only photographed 2 girls but spend a shit load of money on lighting and camera and watched so many photography & lighting dvds its not even funny so I have a good understanding. I dunno, you win some and lose some.