rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Alternatives To Flying in the US

I think everyone knows at this point that flying within the continental United States is not usually a fun experience. You're basically on a cramped bus in the air.

Since, I've got a business trip coming up that would take a couple days driving, I've been looking into alternatives to flying. So far, the best I've found is trains, but there is a dramatic price increase (about double). While I'd much rather sit on a bed in a train car, and I've personally got a soft spot for the nostalgia of riding on trains, I'm not sure it's worth the extra cost (unless someone knows good way to get cheap fairs).

I was curious if others had travel alternatives to flying, or hacks to make flying better. I've done over a dozen different US cities this year, and most were by driving, even when it meant hours in the car. If you know ways to make travel fun again, please share.

Read my work on Return of Kings here.

The trains in the United States, in my experience, are decrepit and the opposite of fun. Don't do it. (That's my two cents.)

The trains in many other countries can be a lot of fun, but to me in the U.S. they've always been fucking horrendous.

I like sharing a ride - I've had good experiences on Craigslist. Zimride seems reliable - it links to your Facebook account and people can write reviews so you know who drives decently, etc. I'll pay $25 or whatever for like a five-hour trip. Cross-country, people may charge a couple hundred bucks. You'll end up paying more than you would flying, taking into consideration hotel and food costs. But it depends.

Generally, flying coach in the U.S. is the cheapest way to travel here.

My two cents.

I will be taking a Amtrak to NYC next week. It will be my first time ever on a train. We will see how it goes, the ticket was pretty cheap compared to a plane ticket I imagine.

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin

Amtrak is a pleasant experience, it's just inferior to the train systems of Western Europe and East Asia.

It's not much more expensive than flying and can be cheaper at certain times. You can buy your tickets at the station minutes before departure, and the only security to speak of is that a train conductor asks to see your ID and ticket once you're in your seat.

People are friendlier and more open to chatting than on aircraft, probably because they're neither stressed nor uncomfortable as is the case with flying these days. On commuter routes like the Hiawatha Line there's a snack and bar cart, and on long-distance lines like the California Zephyr there's a dining car and bar car. Amtrak also allows you bring your own food and liquor, so you're not forced into buying from them.

The two biggest downsides of Amtrak are its poor on time performance (only 84% of trains are "on-time", and that's using a generous definition of within 20 minutes of schedule) and that it doesn't go some places. Coverage is good on the East Coast and okay in the Midwest. It's fairly poor in the South and West, though the Western routes it does have are spectacular. The Empire Builder in particular is wonderful and should be experienced at least once by all Americans.

I usually take Amtrak when I can instead of flying. The trains are slow (~60 miles per hour), but since it's very comfortable unlike a plane that isn't bad at all. I do most of my work from a cellphone or computer, and many trains now have Wi-Fi. I've never had a bad experience. In the summer I like to take the Hiawatha from Chicago to Milwaukee to catch a Brewer's game and enjoy the many brewery tours in Milwaukee.

If you get spergy about technology thinking about the Amtrak is frustrating. The Hiawatha Chicago-Milwaukee line provided faster service 80 years ago, and did it with steam!

Just whatever you do, don't take intercity buses unless you're fond of the behavioral disorders of the American lumpenproletariat.

Road trips can be fun in the US, but since you're probably alone, and sharing a car on a road trip with someone you don't know could be the most miserable experience of your life, I'd recommend just flying. Book way ahead if you can to get cheaper rates.

Founding Member of TEAM DOUBLE WRAPPED CONDOMS

Unless you're flying first class and get the related perks (special security line, priority boarding, etc), air travel is a pretty miserable experience. But compared to the other forms, including planes and trains, it's the most efficient, fastest, cheapest and safest way to travel. If your destination is more than 300 miles, just fly.

What's the go with hitchhiking; can anyone comment on that?

I tried it in Argentina and would love to give it a go in the States along with ridesharing.

1. Pay more to take a direct flight
2. Consider it no more glorious than taking a bus ride
3. Spend no more time than necessary in a US airport

Unless you're flying a redeye LAX-JFK type of route, first class is absolutely worthless domestically.

Quote: (04-11-2014 10:48 PM)Cr33pin Wrote:  

I will be taking a Amtrak to NYC next week. It will be my first time ever on a train. We will see how it goes, the ticket was pretty cheap compared to a plane ticket I imagine.

I for one would appreciate of you could post a mini trip report. I love trains and have traveled overnight on them in a few countries, but never the US. Am considering them on my next trip there. New York to Chicago, and then the California Zephyr Chicago to San Francisco.

But shit they are expensive.

For you cats who love Montreal and NYC, this could be relevant to you.

Amtrak provides a direct train that runs once a day, in each direction between Montreal and NYC, Penn Station. It's known as the Adirondak line. http://www.amtrak.com/adirondack-train

I took the train from Montreal to New York a few months ago. It costs $67 each way if you don't book last minute.

Overall, the trip takes 11 hours so you'll be spending a whole day in the train. When I took the trip, I brought my laptop so that I could get some work done during the day. There's a solid wifi connection on board, so you can work or browse ROK and RVF. [Image: banana.gif]

The seats were spacious enough and there's a dining car towards the back of the train. It's got some big booths you can sit at and eat. It's nice to be able to walk around and stretch your legs. The train stops in Albany for about 15 minutes, giving you time to head into the train station for a bit and use a proper washroom. There's a convenience store there as well and some coffee shops.

Protip: Wait until the train is fairly crowded before you board. Once you get inside your car, look for a hot (thin!) chick sitting by herself and go sit with her. That's what I did and it made the ride much more enjoyable and helped pass the time with some fun flirting. Didn't get the train bang though. [Image: angry.gif]

Overall, I'd recommend the service if you're looking to go between NYC and Montreal. With the wifi connectivity and working space, the convenience of arriving/departing at Penn Station and the reasonable cost, it makes for a solid deal.

Found this thread. I need to head to NYC/Albany in about 10 days (from Chicago).

But, 20 hours in the train on a coach seat.. Anyone done this on Amtrak before?

[Image: RVScreenshot01.jpg]

Team visible roots
"The Carousel Stops For No Man" - Tuthmosis
Quote: (02-11-2019 05:10 PM)Atlanta Man Wrote:  
I take pussy how it comes -but I do now prefer it shaved low at least-you cannot eat what you cannot see.

I took the greyhound once.

Bus had wi fi, electric outfits, you could stow large luggage underneath if your trip was long enough, many routes have express where you can avoid stops. It's also real inexpensive

You do meet some interesting people though. The bus stations can be in some real shady areas, the stations themselves can be garbage also.

Seats are not assigned. People first in will out there bags on the seats to claim them. Seat pitch is slightly better than say Delta.

A man is only as faithful as his options-Chris Rock