rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Datasheet : Kigali, Ruanda

I thought I’d write my first datasheet about a place that is rarely or never mentioned here, Ruanda in the middle of Africa. I always enjoy reading about strange places that are rarely visited so I hope it is the same for you guys. I spend a lot of time there so you can definitely rely on this info. The country changes fast though so some things might have changed a bit since I was there.

Prologue

Ruanda is a country mostly known for its bloody history with the genocide in the 90’s as perhaps the cruellest thing that has happened in human history. Although this period still impacts the lives of most adult citizens, the country can in no way be compared to what it was in those times. Kagame has a strong hand and the economy has been booming for years. There is peace on the street and if you would visit, you would not be reminded too much of the countries dark past, unless you go looking for it.

Security

It is most certainly the safest country in East Africa and perhaps the safest in the continent. The Ruandan army and security forces are extremely efficient and criminality has no chance in this country. Soldiers on street corners, undercover agents all over,… nothing escapes the eye of the government. As long as you don’t get involved politically and don’t cause trouble, this country will suit you well. On top of that the country welcomes foreigners who at times can receive a special treatment. Think of not having to pay speeding fines or being asked to skip a line in a government building.

Things to do

The country is still pretty underdeveloped and thus its main attraction is the incredible nature. However since there are few tourists and operators, the ones who are there won’t be cheap. The standout activity is visiting mountain gorillas, but this will set you back a whopping 750$ as a tourist!! Others are the Nyungwe forest in the west which is one of the oldest forest in the world and has a huge amount of plant and animal life residing in its boundaries. Akangera to the East is a safari park, where for a small fee you can see elephants, giraffes, crocodiles and many others. No lions to be found though, but for the money you pay it is definitely worth it. At the border of Congo you have Gisenyi/Musanze two smaller cities close to the lake Kivu. This is an excellent place for relaxing, eating well and enjoying the rural side of the country. It is very scenic and although the worlds bloodiest area is just a few km further up (East Congo, Goma… 5 million killed in the past 10 years, constant warzone pretty much that the world has chosen to forget) , you won’t see any of that violence crossing the border, the army makes sure of that.

The People

In general African people are very open en social. In Ruanda the people however tend to be much more introverted. They will still be very friendly and at the same time interested in foreigners, but there is much higher respect for the individual. People will not bother you too much on the streets, just stare at you a bit at max. Beggars and other possible harassments are removed by the government and supposedly kept in institutions.

Small note on genocide: you have to realize that almost all people of 20 years and older will have lived through the genocide and remember that period. A very big amount has lost people, perhaps seen murders and given the nature of the conflict might have participated in it. A touchy subject to say the least. For this reason it is best not to speak about it at all. Don’t ask anyone what group they belonged too. Only in the case that you became very good friends with a local, you could possibly ask something about it, but even then it can be difficult. Respect this when in Ruanda, some things are better left untouched. If you are interested, there are plenty of books and movies to be found.

Kigali

The capital and by far biggest city in the country. Here you will all that you need; nice restaurants, clubs, shops, hotels in abundance, even a bowling and a cinema. Note: hotels won’t be as cheap as you expect though, think around 40-50$. They are well maintained though and there are many options, most come with swimming pools for instance. As far as I know there is one hostel as well, which is cheaper, so that can be an option.

One thing not to be missed here is a visit to the genocide museum. This museum is very modern and gives a unique insight into the history of the conflict. What you will see and read is very rough, it is common to see people crying inside, but if you visit this country, it is simply not something you can miss.

Transportation

Taxis are cheap so they can definitely be an option. If you are a bit more adventurous though take the taxi motos, even cheaper and always good fun to cruise around in the beautiful hills with 25 degrees, always perfect weather and views you can’t even imagine. It’s a bit more dangerous, but hey you didn’t come to East Africa for safety and doing boring stuff right.

Nightlife

The best places are generally found in Kimihurura, Remera and the city centre.

-The new Papyrus: big restaurant/club with a great view and several floors. This is where the elite of the city gather for a good party. Upclass women, a wide selection of drinks and foods and modern music. Even has a bakery at the side for a late/early snack.

-The old Papyrus: probably has another name but that is what people call it. Nice bar/Lounge place, ideal for eating and predrinking or for inviting a girl for a date.

-Sundowner: again an open air restaurant, with good food and a nice setup. Turns into a club on weekends. Here you will find a mix of upclass and a bit below, with the occasional prostitute as well. People party hard here though and it’s a very cool place. Good for watching sports as well.

-KBC: perhaps the most known disco. Here you can party almost every day. Tons of prostitutes though, but great for dancing.

-MTN center: a shopping center with some bars on the top. The upclass people will come party here on Wednesdays.

-Cadillac: other reasonably big disco

-Nyamirambo area: a cool area on top of a hill with many small bars and clubs as well as restaurants. This is more a local place so not many tourists around. A little less safe but you should be fine either way. Great views as well.

Food

Try Lalibella restaurant (Ethiopian), Mr.Chips (fastfood), Mamba Club (cheap brochettes with chips), Soleluna (Italian), Zaafran (Indian), Chez Robert (French)

Shopping

Nakumatt is the biggest supermarket, Simba is also sizeable, both near the central roundabout at KBC Tower.

Girls

Girls are known to be the best looking of Eastern Africa right after Ethiopian women. The Tutsi descendants are tall, slim, curvy and with sharp faces. In general these girls are not very worldly, don’t speak about politics, travel, other things in the world too much, the majority won’t have any idea about these things. Humor is however received well and body contact is normal as well. Be touchy and flirty, not too complicated and don’t use asshole game or anything like that, in here it is unnecessary. Overall sex and dating here are much more about status. If you have the right status (money and the foreign status), girls will like you and will be easily convinced to have sex with you. Once a girl agrees to go out with you, your personal characteristics can only ruin things, she was convinced already.

Daygame

People here are very interested in foreigners. If you see a nice girl, just talk to her in English or French. No need for too much small talk, just ask her nr. If she gives it next time take her out for food or drinks and bring her back to your place, simple as that. Don’t be afraid to approach the hotter girls around. Best places are the shopping areas in the city center, MTN center or the various hotels around where people come to have a drink or swim.

Online Gaming

There’s women to be found on Badoo. People in general also have facebook and use it more for meeting strangers than in the West. Adding someone you don’t know is not strange here. Tinder I have no idea.

Night game

Hmm.. this is where it becomes more difficult. In every place you go you will find beautiful women so no problem there. However a large portion are prostitutes. Also the line between prostitutes and normal girls is not that defined here, so there are all sorts of categories in between. In general at least you pay the drinks, taxi and perhaps the food of the girl. Other girls might come with you but after a wild night ask if you can support them with some money, which is then up to you. Others are prostitutes but won’t say so until you are back at home or even after sex. Some say directly. Don’t worry you can find plenty of other girls as well, just go to the top places in town and keep your eyes open. Girls = alone = prostitute. Girls is very slutty dressed = prostitute. Girl is not drinking anything unaccompanied = prostitute. Other than this, dancing is off course big here, so if that’s your thing you will do well. Dress classy, girls love it. Age is not a big thing, A well-dressed 40 year old will still be very well received. Picking up girls in East Africa is easy, just be cool, avoid the prostitutes and don’t be too serious. Only one other thing which you have to keep in mind.

Aids

Although aids is a lot lower here than in South Africa and also lower in Ruanda than in surrounding countries. It still stays a risk. Don’t be stupid, don’t raw dog here and avoid the sluttiest of girls. If you keep that in mind, you can have fun and nothing will happen. If you have time to go out every day and can spend some money, it is not hard to get 2-3 notches a week.

If you need more info or have more question, post here or send me a PM!

Perhaps a bit late but let me be the first to say it: great datasheet !

Book - Around the World in 80 Girls - The Epic 3 Year Trip of a Backpacking Casanova

My new book Famles - Fables and Fairytales for Men is out now on Amazon.

Quote: (08-18-2015 04:47 PM)Spike Wrote:  

Perhaps a bit late but let me be the first to say it: great datasheet !

Thanks man, I probably wrote the least actually used datasheet of RVF, but hey we need some pioneers pushing our datasheet borders right.

I hope to write one again myself pretty soon. Problem is that I haven't been to any unknown places in the last few years.

Book - Around the World in 80 Girls - The Epic 3 Year Trip of a Backpacking Casanova

My new book Famles - Fables and Fairytales for Men is out now on Amazon.

Great datasheet, Rwanda lizards are hot!

OUR NEW BLOG!

http://repstylez.com

My NEW TRAVEL E-BOOK - DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A RED CARPET AFFAIR

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K53LVR8

Love 'em or leave 'em but we can't live without lizardsssss..

An Ode To Lizards

Yes!
Nice to see that there are travel pioneers among the members that pushes limits and hitting "untouched" land.
Rwanda - the land of a thousands hills, has been on my to go list for years. Ever since I saw pictures of its green, lush and beautiful landscape I knew I had to go. Not to mention this is one of the best places to see (border with congo) the mountains gorillas up close in its natural habitat.
I hear good thing of this place; and like you mention being one of the safest and friendliest countries in africa. Despite its brutal past, people just want to get on and live.

I was actually going here back in 2008 from Tanzania, had a permit for trekking with the gorillas and everything. But "faith" wanted it different. Long story.
There is a strong and brutal book about Rwanda and the genocide I can recommend; A Sunday at the Pool in Kigali
by Gil Courtemanche.

I want to hear more about your travels there and the place; the food, coffee culture (rwanda coffee is know for its quality), when its good time to go, getting in, activities, where to go general cost of things..living...everthing.

Once again thanks man. Made my day. You just made me realize I have to go.

A friend of mine was in Rwanda on work and remarked how safe and beautiful it was. Fantastic weather. He did the gorilla thing, and it sure cost a pretty penny (and they only take cash apparently), but the videos he showed were absolutely amazing. Once in a lifetime thing that I would definitely consider going.

A white broad I dealt with in Toronto used to go partying in Rwanda, at a reggae bar. I'd be curious to know if it's still around and if it's still full of Western girls. Not that I'd be chasing westerners in Rwanda if I went, but it'll be cool to check out the vibes.

Great datasheet.

Just an FYI, gorilla trekking just went up to 1500$.