rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

What NOT to do if you freelance for a living

It's funny but a really foolish investment of time and psychological energy.

[Image: a_56_20140130070522.png]

Read the thread on divestment for a seduction-related example.

hahaha Funny shit.

But yeah, definitely a waste of time and energy on an exchange that reflects very poorly on your business if the guy puts on the web, which it appears this one did. Sometimes you feel like doing this kind of thing but following through on that impulse just recycles negative energy, in my opinion.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

David Thorne is actually some comedian, hes website is: http://www.27bslash6.com/

He has some good stuff there though, for example this http://www.27bslash6.com/f26a.html

Yeah he's definitely funny and I don't know how much of this is genuine vs. fodder for his best-selling books which are collections of his email exchanges tooling clients. He also seems like the kind of guy who always egged on the teacher in class. The kind of guy whose ass I'd really enjoy kicking.

Quote: (04-05-2014 05:36 AM)Beyond Borders Wrote:  

hahaha Funny shit.

But yeah, definitely a waste of time and energy on an exchange that reflects very poorly on your business if the guy puts on the web, which it appears this one did. Sometimes you feel like doing this kind of thing but following through on that impulse just recycles negative energy, in my opinion.

I agree doing stuff like this tends to backfire and make you look immature however this one was so funny I don't think it hurts him. Look at the lady in Cleveland with the job bank though, that basicallly destroyed her business so you make a good point. It look worse to an outsider but anyone who has ever done consulting, web design, graphic design knows how people often don't respect and value that their work takes time and effort and they want to be paid for it so having an understanding of how many "clients" are I think I'm muhc more sympathetic to him as well.

Remember seeing that a while back. This is another good one:
http://www.27bslash6.com/missy.html

[Image: missing_missy2.jpg]

LOL

Yeah, as a freelancer, this type of shit is 100% a waste of time.

Freelancing really isn't the place go to trying to vent your frustrations or act out alpha male fantasies. If you're into that kind of thing maybe train to be a cage fighter.

I have three rules that I live by RELIGIOUSLY when communicating with clients:

1. Be professional, courteous and and clear in your communications.

2. Know when to say no.

3. If somebody isn't taking no for an answer, drop them immediately. Don't be a dick about it just let them know the conversation is over.

Following these 3 rules will save you a ton of time and money if you're a freelancer.

http://www.nospec.com/faq

Quote:Quote:

Why is spec work unethical?

The designers in essence work free of charge and with an often falsely advertised, overinflated promise for future employment; or are given other insufficient forms of compensation. Usually these glorified prizes or “carrots” appear tantalising for creative communicators just starting out, ending with encouraging examples like “good for your portfolio” or “gain recognition.”

The reality is that they often yield little extra work, profit or referrals. Moreover, designers must often sign a contract unwittingly waiving their valuable creative rights and ownership of their work to the ones promoting this system. A verbal agreement is ineffective in protecting the rights of designers in a court of law. As a result the client will often employ other designers using similar unprincipled tactics to change and/or resell the creative work as their own. This promotes the practice of designers ridiculously undercharging themselves in the hope of “outbidding” potential rivals, in the process devaluing their skills and those of the design profession. Promoting this method encourages some clients to continue preying on uninformed creatives for menially valued labour.

Why should I pay a professional to do work I might like when I can get lots of submissions from a contest?

For one thing, you’re deceptively promoting free labour, a disreputable practice in itself. You impede the designer from earning a proper salary. Would you work for free with the hope of possibly being compensated? Also consider that contests largely attract inexperienced designers who are under pressure due to unreasonable time restraints and competition. You run the huge risk of ultimately receiving poorly executed designs that inadequately represent your business amongst your competitors and for future customers. It could end up costing you in the long run in terms of lost revenue and other factors. A professional will work toward developing effective tailored design solutions reflective of their years of training and experience — part and parcel of the job.

His gym emails post was one of the funniest things I'd ever read, used to enjoy reading his site a coup;le of years back

Don't forget to check out my latest post on Return of Kings - 6 Things Indian Guys Need To Understand About Game

Desi Casanova
The 3 Bromigos

Quote: (04-07-2014 05:58 AM)bojangles Wrote:  

His gym emails post was one of the funniest things I'd ever read, used to enjoy reading his site a coup;le of years back

Don't forget the original classic 'spider' email. Side splittingly funny actually.

http://www.geekologie.com/2008/11/good-i...rawing.php

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. - H L Mencken