rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

US/North American Energy Independence

US/North American Energy Independence

Read an interesting piece at BBC News earlier today and thought I'd share it and ask for members comments. It concerns the possibility that the US becomes energy independent in the near future, and what it would mean to that country and the world if it did.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-23151813

Quote:Quote:

Energy independence will come about only through cheap and abundant shale oil and gas, which could help spark a golden age for US manufacturing.

US energy prices are far lower than those in Europe and Japan, and this fact - together with rising wages in China and the increasing productivity of US factories - means a number of US firms are looking to bring production back home - a process known as reshoring.

Now I'm cynical and think that politician on both "sides" specifically work AGAINST the US achieving energy independence due to vested interests, but maybe I'm a bit looney and shale oil/gas will be fully developed and more pipelines from Canada approved and constructed. North American/US energy independence achieved. The implications I think will be quite serious for not only the US, but also the rest of the developed world. As per the article I don't think that "green" economies like those of Western Europe and Australia will be able to survive a US with cheap energy. Significant de-industrialisation will become complete de-industrialisation if they have to compete not only with China, but also the US.

I'm all for it, and think it will have tremendous positive effects on the US and force necessary changes in much of the rest of the world, but what do other members think of:
1) The likelihood of the US/North America achieving energy independence in the near future
2) What the country and the world will look like if this happens