rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Time - It's Time to End 'Rape Culture' Hysteria

This is pretty big since it's coming from Time magazine.

http://time.com/30545/its-time-to-end-ra...-hysteria/

Quote:Quote:

The nation's largest and most influential anti-sexual-violence organization is rejecting the idea that culture — as opposed to the actions of individuals — is responsible for rape.

“Rape is as American as apple pie,” says blogger Jessica Valenti. She and her sisters-in-arms describe our society as a “rape culture” where violence against women is so normal, it’s almost invisible. Films, magazines, fashion, books, music, humor, even Barbie — according to the activists — cooperate in conveying the message that women are there to be used, abused, and exploited. Recently, rape culture theory has migrated from the lonely corners of the feminist blogosphere into the mainstream. In January, the White House asserted that we need to combat campus rape by “[changing] a culture of passivity and tolerance in this country, which too often allows this type of violence to persist.”

Tolerance for rape? Rape is a horrific crime and rapists are despised. We have strict laws that Americans want to see enforced. Though rape is certainly a serious problem, there’s no evidence that it’s considered a cultural norm. Twenty-first century America does not have a rape culture; what we have is an out-of-control lobby leading the public and our educational and political leaders down the wrong path. Rape culture theory is doing little to help victims, but its power to poison the minds of young women and lead to hostile environments for innocent males is immense.

On college campuses, obsession with eliminating “rape culture” has led to censorship and hysteria. At Boston University, student activists launched a petition demanding the cancellation of a Robin Thicke concert, because the lyrics of his hit song “Blurred Lines” allegedly celebrate “systemic patriarchy and sexual oppression.” (The lyrics may not exactly be pleasant to many women, but song lyrics don’t turn men into rapists. Yet, ludicrously, the song has already been banned at more than 20 British universities.) Activists at Wellesley recently demanded that administrators remove a statue of a sleepwalking man: The image of a nearly naked male could “trigger” memories of sexual assault for victims. Meanwhile, a growing number of young men find themselves charged with rape, named publicly, and brought before campus judicial panels informed by rape culture theory. In such courts, due process is practically non-existent: Guilty because accused.

Rape culture theorists dismiss critics who bring up examples of hysteria and false accusations as “rape denialists” and “rape apologists.” To even suggest that false accusations occur, according to activists, is to engage in “victim blaming.” But now, rape culturalists are confronting a formidable critic that even they will find hard to dismiss.

RAINN (Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network) is America’s largest and most influential anti-sexual violence organization. It’s the leading voice for sexual assault victim advocacy. Indeed, rape culture activists routinely cite the authority of RAINN to make their case. But in RAINN’s recent recommendations to the White House Task Force to Protect Students from Sexual Assault, it repudiates the rhetoric of the anti “rape culture” movement:

"In the last few years, there has been an unfortunate trend towards blaming “rape culture” for the extensive problem of sexual violence on campus. While it is helpful to point out the systemic barriers to addressing the problem, it is important not to lose sight of a simple fact: Rape is caused not by cultural factors but by the conscious decisions, of a small percentage of the community, to commit a violent crime."

RAINN urges the White House to “remain focused on the true cause of the problem” and suggests a three-pronged approach for combating rape: empowering community members through bystander intervention education, using “risk-reduction messaging” to encourage students to increase their personal safety, and promoting clearer education on “where the ‘consent line’ is.” It also asserts that we should treat rape like the serious crime it is by giving power to trained law enforcement rather than internal campus judicial boards.

RAINN is especially critical of the idea that we need to focus on teaching men not to rape — the hallmark of rape culture activism. Since rape exists because our culture condones and normalizes it, activists say, we can end the epidemic of sexual violence only by teaching boys not to rape.

No one would deny that we should teach boys to respect women. But by and large, this is already happening. By the time men reach college, RAINN explains, “most students have been exposed to 18 years of prevention messages, in one form or another.” The vast majority of men absorbs these messages and views rape as the horrific crime that it is. So efforts to address rape need to focus on the very small portion of the population that “has proven itself immune to years of prevention messages.” They should not vilify the average guy.

By blaming so-called rape culture, we implicate all men in a social atrocity, trivialize the experiences of survivors, and deflect blame from the rapists truly responsible for sexual violence. RAINN explains that the trend of focusing on rape culture “has the paradoxical effect of making it harder to stop sexual violence, since it removes the focus from the individual at fault, and seemingly mitigates personal responsibility for his or her own actions.”

Moral panic over “rape culture” helps no one — least of all, survivors of sexual assault. College leaders, women’s groups, and the White House have a choice. They can side with the thought police of the feminist blogosphere who are declaring war on Robin Thicke, the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition, male statues, and Barbie. Or, they can listen to the sane counsel of RAINN.

I haven't gone through it myself, I'll weigh in on it later.

Time magazine posted this?!? Is this fantasy? I can't believe they would buck the progressive message.

Technically, ending rape culture could be the "new progressive."

What I never understood about this is that most of these women never have been raped or never met a person who has. They just assume any overt sexuality by a man is negative. They want to eliminate the "creepiness" from society, but all they're doing is wasting their resources on countries which have relatively low rates of real, terrible sexual violence.

Now, the DRC is another story. If the ladies want to confront what real rape is, take a plane ride right over to the land of Mobutu and tell me that rape culture exists here in the states or Canada.

While this is a step forward, do not get too excited; it is merely another way of packaging the war against the mythical "rape culture" to become more palatable to the public. Here:

Quote:TIME Wrote:

there has been an unfortunate trend towards blaming “rape culture” for the extensive problem of sexual violence on campus

What extensive violence, pray tell?

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

“Rape is as American as apple pie,” says blogger Jessica Valenti.

It's tragic that people are paid to say shit this stupid.
If I bring an apple pie to the 4th of July picnic, I'll get warm smiles and a hearty welcome. If I bring a rape.... not so much.

" If I bring a rape.... not so much."
You win. +1.

Quote:MtnMan Wrote:  
Life is definitely too short to go without dome.

The truth is this: We are not part of a rape culture. We are part of a culture which enables women to be promiscuous. Recently, I was watching a TV show with an older female family member born during the great depression. The story was of a stripper/exotic dancer who entered a hotel room to have a private lap dance with a client, and got raped during said "lap dance".

This family member blurted out "If you don't want to be raped, don't be an exotic dancer. Women that do those kind of things put themselves in dangerous situations". I told her about the Hofstra false gang rape allegation -- A women who lost contact with her boyfriend at a party decided to have group sex with a group of boys, and cried rape when her boyfriend caught her. The guys, in the press, were considered guilty based on only the word of one girl who was caught cheating. It took a video recording of the consensual sex to acquit the men.

This family member of mine made it clear a woman had no business getting in to that kind of situation. I didn't mention it, but I am sure she would have no tolerance for the hamster who got naked in front of a guy but claims she didn't want sex with him.

There is no rape culture. Only an out-of-control "cock carousel" promiscuous culture.

We should note that the Time editorial was written by Caroline Kitchens, who is affiliated with the American Enterprise Institute, which is considered a neo-con group. So this will likely be dismissed by the usual suspects as the right wing condoning rape or some such thing.

Kitchens wrote a better piece for US News and World Report a few months ago titled "The Rape 'Epidemic' Doesn't Actually Exist:Statistics don't support the contention that 'rape culture' is pervasive." I think this article is more effective since it includes some numbers -- although feminist zealots probably accused her of fudging those numbers.

Quote: (03-21-2014 07:28 PM)Days of Broken Arrows Wrote:  

We should note that the Time editorial was written by Caroline Kitchens, who is affiliated with the American Enterprise Institute, which is considered a neo-con group. So this will likely be dismissed by the usual suspects as the right wing condoning rape or some such thing.

Kitchens wrote a better piece for US News and World Report a few months ago titled "The Rape 'Epidemic' Doesn't Actually Exist:Statistics don't support the contention that 'rape culture' is pervasive." I think this article is more effective since it includes some numbers -- although feminist zealots probably accused her of fudging those numbers.

They did, plus pull out the standard lines about the AEI not being trustworthy. Erin Gloria Ryan pulled out a dazzling platter of butthurt in response to that article over on Jezebel back in October. Some of the comments are the worst shit I've read regarding the rape culture bullshit.

Quote: (03-21-2014 05:03 PM)kbell Wrote:  

Time magazine posted this?!? Is this fantasy? I can't believe they would buck the progressive message.

The author is a research assistant at AEI, a conservative think tank. It's not so surprising that a piece like this could get into Time. Time was a conservative propaganda rag way back in the day under Henry Luce, so it has always been a little friendlier to conservative causes and political figures than other mainstream publications.

The feminists and the limp-wristed liberal set do represent a large percentage of Americans, so it's not a surprise that their views get a wide airing in society through mainstream media and that the culture in some respects reflects their beliefs and viewpoints. But what's happened is that blue-pill ideology has been allowed to run unhindered for so long that other viewpoints are being crowded out of the intellectual marketplace. It's heresy to espouse some of the red pill ideas that Roosh and others do in mainstream media spaces. Reactions to the manosphere have ranged from mocking sarcasm, rage, incredulous disbelief that we believe the things that we do, to attempts to censor and suppress red pill media.

On these kinds of social issues, this feminist branch of liberalism has been allowed to reign supreme, and eventually there will be pushback since feminist ideology is just fundamentally at odds with reality. It kind of reminds me of how immediately after 9/11 most people seemed to take a "kill them all and let God sort 'em out" sort of attitude towards the Muslim world, and anybody expressing any kind of concern about civil liberties or starting up a war with a country that didn't attack us was either labelled a pussy or perhaps more sinister somebody who didn't have America's interests at heart. And what I think has happened is that America's wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have proven to be disasters and time has shown that what was needed after 9/11 was a smarter strategy towards Islamic militants, a scalpel instead of the sledgehammer that we used...Feminist ideology is kind of in the same place as American jingoism was in between 9/11 and Iraq. Most people just take their BS theory and assumptions for granted when it's actually quite out of touch with reality. And eventually it will fall apart after it finishes its collision with reality.

I'm sorry, but we don't have a "rape culture" in a wealthy, industrialized country that preaches "You, Go Girl" to women and indoctrinates little girls with the idea that they are Little Princesses entitled to special treatment. Go to Darfur or or Somalia if you want to see what an actual rape culture looks like, where women are passed around as the spoils of war by the victors and really are treated as nothing more than objects and possessions. Feminists can keep pushing this pathetic shit but eventually there will be pushback. Bottom line: if you don't want to get raped, then use some common sense and avoid dangerous situations. Very, very few women are the victim of a violent assault where an intruder breaks into their bedroom through the window. Most of the time it's acquaintance rape and they exercised lousy judgment to make themselves vulnerable. Assuming some responsibility for their own well-being would go a long, long way towards reducing the likelihood of being a victim of rape when most men don't need to learn the lesson that rape is bad and 3% of the men are essentially doing 95% of the raping.

This article, and the positive reaction to the "Most Women Don't Deserve a Good Man" post on ROK is proof that the manosphere is making some inroads. Especially when you consider that in mainstream circles ROK is derided as being completely over the line and illegitimate. Unfortunately those mainstream outlets have a disproportionate ability to shape perceptions and the discussions of social issues, so I was pleasantly surprised to see the reaction to the Don't Deserve a Good Man article when you consider the manosphere's poor reputation overall.

Nice to know - some of our ideas are becoming more mainstream. Even if we (the manosphere) are not getting credit - it's still nice to see.

Could be a harbinger of the coming rightward swing of the pendulum in American politics and culture in the next few years.

Dr Johnson rumbles with the RawGod. And lives to regret it.

^ One news article?

not one article, but I could see it going in this fashion...

I believe the events surrounding RAINN's announcement will go something like this:

1. Time will be chided by hardliner rape-culturists in an effort to hit its pocketbook
2. The writer will be slandered/libeled
3. RAINN's stance will be bemoaned, then of course deemed a tool of pro-rape culturists
4. Rape-culturist hardliners will look into RAINN leaders, first for men to try to get them fired, then whoever they deem possible covert agents of thought based on those women past political activities, also to get them fired
5. RAINN will be systematically boycott(lol) and rallied against be rape-culturists to overthrow its authority on the subject
a. their success in this will foretell dark times
b. their defeat may mean a move toward an environment of less censorship and freedom

Time has not been friendly to conservative causes in the last 5 years at least probably longer. Henry Luce died in 67 according to wikipedia. I assume it started its descent into a liberal rag from a weekly news magazine around that time. If they ever have a conservative view points its a Bush style big business type currently. This article I doubt will show up in the actual magazine since its a blog post. The blog often has commentators who seem red pill disparaging the article.

Guys, this issue is above liberal/conservative. Distorting the word rape- changing the meaning is a very serious thing.

If "rape" is everywhere, then it looses it's true power; for the actual causes and cases of rape, the misuse of the word will cause many problems for victims and the authorities.

If every girl who regretted sex the next day called it in to the police as rape, then the. actual rape cases would get lost in a sea of bullshit.

So stop calling the hysterical man haters who back the misuse of rape "liberals". Any true liberal would see what was up here.

By saying that this is a liberal movement.. Well that's akin to making up other false claims..

That's a pretty good mode of thought actually. maybe I'll start converting heretics by explaining to them that it's like calling a people who got pushed murder victims instead of simple assault or something otherwise dismissive.

And let's be clear about something else: these people who hate men and want to see them lose power and women to act more masculine.. They aren't real feminists.

A real feminist understands and respects the power of the feminine, and doesn't try to subvert women into being either androgynous or manly.

Don't call them feminists. They are man haters, and they hate femininity as well.

Redpill is the real feminism because we respect the need for feminine behavior in women instead of pushing to make them act in a way that contradicts most women's basic nature.

Quote: (03-22-2014 11:01 AM)soup Wrote:  

And let's be clear about something else: these people who hate men and want to see them lose power and women to act more masculine.. They aren't real feminists.

A real feminist understands and respects the power of the feminine, and doesn't try to subvert women into being either androgynous or manly.

Don't call them feminists. They are man haters, and they hate femininity as well.

Redpill is the real feminism because we respect the need for feminine behavior in women instead of pushing to make them act in a way that contradicts most women's basic nature.

Someone should write an article like that for ROK, maybe it'll be the next big one.

And, when man haters like Valenti who call themselves "feminists" go off and start exaggerating and contorting the word "rape", they are enacting the archetypical stereotype of the irrational, blowing-things-out-of-proportion woman- the side of the feminine that they so hate and claim is a myth.

Just in case someone thought things are about to get better with this -- the White House is now stepping in and ratcheting up the pressure for colleges to hound and ruin the lives of normal dudes all over the country because of an imagined "rape epidemic" on college campuses:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/29/us/tou...ml?hp&_r=0

WASHINGTON — Reacting to a series of highly publicized rapes on college campuses, the White House is increasing the pressure on universities across the country to more aggressively combat sexual assaults on campus.

Administration officials released guidelines on Monday that colleges should follow, including recommendations that administrators conduct anonymous surveys of sexual assault cases. The White House is likely to ask Congress for measures that would enforce the recommendations.

The report will also urge universities to better ensure that sexual assault reports remain confidential. Sometimes fears that reports will not remain confidential can discourage victims from coming forward.

The task force further found that many assault prevention training efforts are not effective, and it will recommend that universities and colleges institute programs like those used at the University of New Hampshire and University of Kentucky, which train bystanders how to intervene.

The task force says that one in five college students has been assaulted, but just 12 percent of such attacks are reported.

“The American people have kind of woken up to the fact that we’ve got a serious problem when 20 percent of coeds say they’ve been sexually assaulted,” said Representative Jackie Speier, Democrat of California.

Under the new crackdown, the White House will urge colleges and universities to conduct “climate surveys,” in which participants anonymously report their experiences with unwanted physical contact, sexual assault or rape, and how their schools responded. Some lawmakers would like to see such surveys mandatory and to possibly make federal funds like Pell grants contingent on their being carried out.

Ms. Speier would like to see the government do more, liked requiring schools to post Title 9 rights and where students should go if raped.

Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, Democrat of New York, and Senator Claire McCaskill, Democrat of Missouri, who both spent much of last year trying to legislatively police sexual assault in the armed forces, have now turned significant attention to such problems on the nation’s campuses.

“After a year of working hard to reform how the military handles sexual assault cases,” Ms. Gillibrand said in an email, “the stories I have heard from students are eerily similar. Once again the problem is systemic, survivors feel twice betrayed, and reform is required.” The report from the White House task force, she said, “is a step forward, but senators on both sides of the aisle will continue to study the problem and look at needed legislative solutions.”

Ms. McCaskill, a former prosecutor, plans to conduct her own survey of 350 colleges and universities nationwide to monitor their handling of sexual assault cases. The two are among nearly a dozen senators seeking new federal funding to battle campus sexual assaults. Ms. Gillibrand also has asked the White House to better centralize the functions of the Department of Education to deal with sexual assault.

In other words:

-- The White House is now insisting on a witchhunt of men on college campuses
-- The "victims" will be allowed to remain anonymous so that they can slander men with complete impunity, not even their reputations will be threatened
-- Cockblocking "bystanders" will now be mandatorily trained and enabled to spy on and hound guys everywhere
-- Ludicrous "climate surveys" will create an atmosphere of fear and encourage "victims" to come forward
-- The egregious "20%" lie is being repeated over and over again
-- Leading this charge are two hag lawyers/prosecutors who have previously done their best to destroy the US military and are now trying to do the same thing to college campuses

Grim stuff getting worse from day to day.

same old shit, sixes and sevens Shaft...

Reposted the above as a new thread.

same old shit, sixes and sevens Shaft...

“Rape is as American as apple pie,” says blogger Jessica Valenti.

New buzz sentence should be "Lying is as feminist as Jessica Valenti"

Apparantly we are the cause of rape culture.

I got torn a new one arguing that by painting men with the same brush is illogical, that making absolutions voids any argument, and that women do not live in a rape culture.

The worst part is this article is written by some white knight, hoping to get pussy by saying essentially he is the problem. It sickens me that a man would write this bullshit, and then these retarded girls agree with it. I stirred up a shit storm on social media, and only one guy with balls backed me up about calling out this article.

What do you guys think? Personally I was extremely offended.

"Money over bitches, nigga stick to the script." - Jay-Z
They gonna love me for my ambition.