rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Cooking salmon on steel pans

In the past I have cooked salmon on non-stick pans and it has been easy to cook it to the point that the salmon in rare in the middle and the skin in crispy. However, since I have started using stainless steel pans, the skin always sticks to the pan and comes away from the flesh. I usually cook with ghee or butter, but I have also tried sunflower oil with the same results. I have tried it on a lower temperature, but while the skin has stayed with the flesh, it is not crispy. Any ideas?

Is the skillet hot before you put in oils? Is the butter hot before you put in rhe fish? Is the fish room temp? Is the fish patted dry? Do you put salt on the fish before cooking? Are you cooking non skin face down first? Have you ever tried baking it en papillote or in a foil envelope?

Quote: (03-15-2014 01:31 PM)calihunter Wrote:  

Is the skillet hot before you put in oils? Is the butter hot before you put in rhe fish? Is the fish room temp? Is the fish patted dry? Do you put salt on the fish before cooking? Are you cooking non skin face down first? Have you ever tried baking it en papillote or in a foil envelope?

Yep, skillet and oil is hot. Fish is dry and salted. When I was using non-stick pans I always cooked skin side first. I am not interested in baking en papillote as I like the skin crispy - kinda like fish bacon.

this guy is good http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqHKWBHhCuM

Quote: (03-15-2014 04:25 PM)calihunter Wrote:  

this guy is good http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqHKWBHhCuM

Don't watch, this if you don't want to have salmon in the next couple hours.

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

I prefer poaching my salmon while also leaving part of the centre rare. Not going to have a crispy outside, but it's as tender as it gets.